Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stilnoct--your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 viv2902

frustrating.i'mnot the best pill popper but after today i'm giving up. lots of stress in my life which i'm trying to address .but I thought i'd get 3 or 4 hrs nap with this drug. I can tell you everything I've watched on tv since 3.30 this morning!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

neemish wrote: »
    Hated stillnoct - found it gave me awful headaches and a desperate hangover.

Zimovane works for me but what I find best is quetiapine (atypical anti psychotic). Tiny dose and a great night's sleep. Have to say, I find it hard to wake in the morning but once I'm up and about, that's it. None of the hangover I have with benzos.

Strangely stilnoct was the only one where I was clear headed the next day, zimovane gave me awful headaches. I guess different strokes for different folks

too true

never again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Hated stillnoct - found it gave me awful headaches and a desperate hangover.

Zimovane works for me but what I find best is quetiapine (atypical anti psychotic). Tiny dose and a great night's sleep. Have to say, I find it hard to wake in the morning but once I'm up and about, that's it. None of the hangover I have with benzos.

I'm also on quetiapine (seroquel) but on 300mg along with mirtazapine at night I knock out for about 8 hours it's great, crazy dreams though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

You wouldn't see me for a week if I took that much!
    How do you find the zispin? I turned into a blob on the couch. Became more depressed and literally couldn't move

You wouldn't see me for a week if I took that much!
    How do you find the zispin? I turned into a blob on the couch. Became more depressed and literally couldn't move

Actually took 25mg quetiapine and it knocked me out as well as the 300mg. There's no difference sedation wise but the higher doses are great for anxiety. In the morning when I wake I'm so groggy for ages but coffee brings me around. Yeah have put on over a stone on the zispin. My mood improved a lot when seroquel and zispin added to cymbalta. Probably coming off it in February. Was it hard to withdraw from I'm a bit worried about that?

Not that I remember. It was like waking from a nightmare. But I'm on cymbalta now, and despite my doctors insistence that its a great drug, I hear that people can get a type of withdrawal from it. If I miss a dose, dear God do I know about it. And if I miss two/three days, I get very sick.

It's fine as an anti-d. Not brilliant but better than what I was on before. Have just tried to go up to 120 of it, but its makes me all jittery.

I'm on 120 cymbalta and if I miss it for a few hours I notice it for the rest of the day.

Crazy isn't it?
    Have to go back down to 90mg. Feels like I'm running on adrenalin. But i tend to be ridiculously sensitive to meds.

• Advertisement

Crazy isn't it?
    Have to go back down to 90mg. Feels like I'm running on adrenalin. But i tend to be ridiculously sensitive to meds.

I'm normally very sensitive to meds too but going from 90 to 120 cymbalta I can't remember any bad effects although I was so badly depressed in hospital at the time, everything was awful. It's only when they added in the others I started to improve.

Just out of hospital after trying two mood stabilisers - abilify and zyban. And neither worked in any sense of the word. Was extremely wound up on zyban. Never relaxed and slept very little. Abilify - was very dizzy, dissociated, and restless legs.

So disappointed. Four weeks in and feeling no better. Meds aren't the full answer for me, but thought I'd get some kind of lift. I'm less than a week out and back to where I was beforehand. :-(

Just out of hospital after trying two mood stabilisers - abilify and zyban. And neither worked in any sense of the word. Was extremely wound up on zyban. Never relaxed and slept very little. Abilify - was very dizzy, dissociated, and restless legs.

So disappointed. Four weeks in and feeling no better. Meds aren't the full answer for me, but thought I'd get some kind of lift. I'm less than a week out and back to where I was beforehand. :-(

I'm sorry to hear that and wondering how your feeling today???

Not good. Today is slightly better than yesterday, but not brilliant.

Have to say, I spoke to my consultant yesterday and he was so reassuring. Said that he will prescribe some extra meds over Christmas and that the hospital is always open. It really helped.
    Crying bucketfuls but sure maybe it will help.

Thanks for asking :-)

Not good. Today is slightly better than yesterday, but not brilliant.

Have to say, I spoke to my consultant yesterday and he was so reassuring. Said that he will prescribe some extra meds over Christmas and that the hospital is always open. It really helped.
    Crying bucketfuls but sure maybe it will help.

Thanks for asking :-)

That's good the consultant has reassured you. Take it easy and hopefully things should improve. Christmas can be a tough time of year everyone expecting you to be happy x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 yandex

Stilnoct? Fine. Seldom use it, simply because doctor won't prescribe them often. One seldom does it for me, usually need two and even then it may not work. Have often taken two and still unable to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 x5494

I find Stilnoct extremely strange. The first night I took one, I recall feeling as though I was surrounded by people, being carried off somewhere. I was talking to them and messaging my best friend at the same time (talking complete and utter gibberish and misspelling everything) asking her where I was going, and why these people were carrying me. I felt drunk/high and weird as hell. I woke up the next morning and just could not get out of bed. I fell asleep around 1AM, but didn't get out of bed til about 3PM. The second time I took one, I fell asleep hysterically laughing at my phone, and woke up to discover that I'd sent more messages to my best friend, but had no memory of sending them.
    The past two nights have been okay, no strange reactions. But I do find it difficult to wake up the next morning or get out of bed. Very, very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭tiegan

x5494 wrote: »
    I find Stilnoct extremely strange. The first night I took one, I recall feeling as though I was surrounded by people, being carried off somewhere. I was talking to them and messaging my best friend at the same time (talking complete and utter gibberish and misspelling everything) asking her where I was going, and why these people were carrying me. I felt drunk/high and weird as hell. I woke up the next morning and just could not get out of bed. I fell asleep around 1AM, but didn't get out of bed til about 3PM. The second time I took one, I fell asleep hysterically laughing at my phone, and woke up to discover that I'd sent more messages to my best friend, but had no memory of sending them.
    The past two nights have been okay, no strange reactions. But I do find it difficult to wake up the next morning or get out of bed. Very, very strange.

I share your experience of stillnocht. Took it and did not even make the bed. Had terrible hallucinations. Tried again the second night and drove the car into a hedge, luckily with no serious consequences. NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Acara

I hope nobody out there will ever touch these tablets.

My husband was prescribed stillnoct for insomnia 10 years ago by his GP of 25 years. After taking them as prescibed for only 4 days they had the effect of not allowing him to sleep but what I can only describe as sleepwalking. He was hallucinating and became so paranoid that he thought people were following him. He thought people were out to harm myself and our children. I rang the GP who prescribed them in a state of panic and she advised to to come back in 3 days if he hadn't slept. We were back the next morning with my husband in a totally psychotic state and me in a total state of shock. My husband was 44 and was never in his life psychotic. The GP now explained that my husband was experiencing a mixed manic state and attributed this to a mental illness and not to the extreme adverse affects of stillnoct that other members of boards.is have also experienced. She said he was in a critical state and things were so bad that she closed her surgery for the day to accompany us to St John of Gods. My husband was so bad at this stage that he was put into a padded room administered large doses of more medication and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I believe my husband was misdiagnosed by the psychiatrist and that he attributed the psychotic state to a mental illness rather than to him experiencing adverse side affects of stillnoct none of which was explained to us prior to him taking it. In fact it is only reading through similar experiences on boards.is that I am horrified of the hardship that this drug has caused my husband and our family. I fully intend now to report this drug to higher authorities and report the doctors involved for their absolute negligence. 'First do no harm' certainly was not the case with us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Acara wrote: »
    My husband was prescribed stillnoct for insomnia 10 years ago by his GP of 25 years. After taking them as prescibed for only 4 days they had the effect of not allowing him to sleep but what I can only describe as sleepwalking. He was hallucinating and became so paranoid that he thought people were following him. He thought people were out to harm myself and our children. I rang the GP who prescribed them in a state of panic and she advised to to come back in 3 days if he hadn't slept. We were back the next morning with my husband in a totally psychotic state and me in a total state of shock. My husband was 44 and was never in his life psychotic. The GP now explained that my husband was experiencing a mixed manic state and attributed this to a mental illness and not to the extreme adverse affects of stillnoct that other members of boards.is have also experienced. She said he was in a critical state and things were so bad that she closed her surgery for the day to accompany us to St John of Gods. My husband was so bad at this stage that he was put into a padded room administered large doses of more medication and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I believe my husband was misdiagnosed by the psychiatrist and that he attributed the psychotic state to a mental illness rather than to him experiencing adverse side affects of stillnoct none of which was explained to us prior to him taking it. In fact it is only reading through similar experiences on boards.is that I am horrified of the hardship that this drug has caused my husband and our family. I fully intend now to report this drug to higher authorities and report the doctors involved for their absolute negligence. 'First do no harm' certainly was not the case with us.
    Negligence requires showing that other doctors would not have done the same thing in the same situation. Other doctors would have done the exact same thing so you would be wasting your time trying to say they were negligent.

Major indicator of mania is reduced need for sleep. Why was he prescribed sleeping pills in the first place if he wasn't already experiencing this? Simple answer is that the psychiatrists know more about psychiatry than you do and he is bipolar. You won't help him by telling him the doctors are harming him or that he isn't sick.

It does sound like he reacted badly to the stilnocht alright, but that's a different matter entirely.

SJOG's is more like a country club than a typical psych hospital. You should count yourselves lucky you have access to such pleasant facilities.

SJOG's is more like a country club than a typical psych hospital. You should count yourselves lucky you have access to such pleasant facilities.[/QUOTE]

Eh, Have you ever stayed there? It's nothing of the sort!

Eh, Have you ever stayed there? It's nothing of the sort!
    Visited people in it and counterpart facilities a lot. Facilities are a lot more comfortable there than other places I've seen. Also observed difficult patients being pandered to, where a more heavy handed approach would be used elsewhere.

Quoting a doctor with that description btw. Personally I think they should police patients more and pander less. They prioritise maintaining a good relationship with patients so they are open to going back if they need to later, don't hide symptoms etc. Makes sense, but sometimes it can be more important to successfully detect and prevent destructive behaviour. Probably an ideal environment for non-aggressive, non-deceptive patients.

Why would you police patients? Surely building good relationships are more important.

Look, I stayed in the place. I know what you're talking about. I actually left their care after a few incidents where the lunatics were literally running the asylum. I'm not sure what wards you visited but some of them are difficult places to spend a few weeks. I never found it like a country club or anything of the sort. Yes, the facilities on some wards are very comfortable, like any private hospital. But not everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

I ended up hooked on it as I enjoyed it's trippy-stoned feeling it give a lot of people. Be very careful on it lads

Hope u got off it OK. Really interested about the trippy feelings it gave u. Were u seeing things that weren't there and acting strange?

Hi hope ur're doing well now. I for one was shocked to see human beings being brainwashed and admin med that made them like zombies. Well done on getting out of there I wud have done exactly the same thing. At no time did I see a med expert try to get to any legitimate reason behind their clients pain and suffering. Just more meds legitimate drug pushers is all I saw

Very u superficial of u to consider the surroundings when these people are dying inside. You r obviously brainwashed when you talk of adults in extreme emotional pain as if they are bold children that need a 'heavy hand'. Sorry to burst your bubble but it is probably attitudes like yours that have them distressed in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭WeirdoFreak

I became quite addicted to these. If you don't fall asleep after about an hour of taking you start to feel great. I used to go out jogging in the middle of the night I felt that good and pumped up. Not a good drug to be reliant on, ended in disaster for me trying to come off them.

• Advertisement

Acara wrote: »
    Very u superficial of u to consider the surroundings when these people are dying inside. You r obviously brainwashed when you talk of adults in extreme emotional pain as if they are bold children that need a 'heavy hand'. Sorry to burst your bubble but it is probably attitudes like yours that have them distressed in the first place.
    A primary function of psychiatric hospitals is to contain people who may be a danger to themselves or others. If patients are not being policed sufficiently to achieve this then they are not fulfilling one of their primary purposes. If a patient is not a danger to themselves or others but is very unwell then a home environment might be a better environment.

Personally I've foregone a very profitable and easy contract to look after someone so they could avoid staying in a hospital. I've also actively pursued hospitalisation for a [different] person who was demonstrably an active danger to themselves as well as others. It was actually attitudes like yours that allowed him to get to get that bad (develop psychosis, require an extended hospital stay he might have avoided entirely etc). Clueless people saying they were okay when they clearly weren't and supporting his dismissal of suggestions he was manic and needed to see a doctor.

The smallest amount of medication that will work for the shortest time possible is the best attitude. However if enough is not used to ward off an episode then it can result in far greater amounts being needed and possibly hospitalization. In particular it is important not to suddenly discontinue medications such as lithium because there is a very high chance of a manic episode. Lithium also loses some efficacy if you stop it and then start again - so again trying to do without medication that you actually need is more likely to backfire than anything else.

Advertisement