Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

When did Roscommon play in Division 1 last? Well done on getting back up there, look forward to playing yous next year. Kerry here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

12 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Syferus wrote: »
    12 years ago.

That was in the days of 1A and 1B so not really a true 8 team division 1 although most of the top teams at that time were actually in 1A which we were in at the time.
    Any idea when Ros were last in div 1 proper? Early 90s? seem to remember them playing Down and Dublin in consecutive years in league semi finals in Croke park??

Anyways congrats to both senior and u21 teams. First time we have won back to back u21 titles and consecutive promotions is great achievement for seniors. Monaghan did the same and showed there is nothing to be afraid of with the right mindset and game plan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

That was in the days of 1A and 1B so not really a true 8 team division 1 although most of the top teams at that time were actually in 1A which we were in at the time.
    Any idea when Ros were last in div 1 proper? Early 90s? seem to remember them playing Down and Dublin in consecutive years in league semi finals in Croke park??

Anyways congrats to both senior and u21 teams. First time we have won back to back u21 titles and consecutive promotions is great achievement for seniors. Monaghan did the same and showed there is nothing to be afraid of with the right mindset and game plan.

Roscommon where in 1A (or divisons 1 proper) during gay sherrins time In 1998. Reached Two semi finals (I think one of them was with John Tobin) We use to beat Tyrone and Dublin (home and away) even better Kerry one year. One year us and Kerry top led the group. Still couldn't beat Galway for love or money

Mighty altogether and the galways stuck below in division 2 to make it even better, between this the fbd and the u21s it's some year, theres not a team now whod fancy meeting us the chaminship, up the rosies

Steady on! All of this means little if there is no connacht title this year

We blew it against Mayo last year (again!)

Mayo n Galway rarely fear us. We need to get over the blight over those lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Roscommon where in 1A (or divisons 1 proper) during gay sherrins time In 1998. Reached Two semi finals (I think one of them was with John Tobin) We use to beat Tyrone and Dublin (home and away) even better Kerry one year. One year us and Kerry top led the group. Still couldn't beat Galway for love or money

Yeah Derry bet us in 2000 I think it was and reached 2 league semi finals under Tobin losing to Mayo and Cavan. All 3 of those were from 1A but wasn't that really a fudge cause it was meant to be a 16 team division 1 with the understanding that the groups were to be evenly split although not sure who was in charge of that since majority of heavy hitters were in 1A.

In the old fashioned Divisions 1-4 when would last time we were in division 1? Think early 90s?

Yeah Derry bet us in 2000 I think it was and reached 2 league semi finals under Tobin losing to Mayo and Cavan. All 3 of those were from 1A but wasn't that really a fudge cause it was meant to be a 16 team division 1 with the understanding that the groups were to be evenly split although not sure who was in charge of that since majority of heavy hitters were in 1A.

In the old fashioned Divisions 1-4 when would last time we were in division 1? Think early 90s?

Very early 1990s. In 1995 under Donie Shine Senior, we were rotting in division 3, Westmeath gave us a bad beating.so before 1995

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

I wish the champenship was starting soon with the way we are playing, id be afraid of fellas getting injured and the like in the next few weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Great to be in Div 1. Lots of progress there and all teams capable of taking points off each. Get the playoff out of the way and bring on championship football. Croke Park in August must now be the objective. I hear some people say that Ross are not ready for promotion but I say take every success as it comes. A couple of injuries or players staying with their club can disrupt a middling size panel and you drop a few points. Great weekend overall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

Great weekend for ye lads no dobt thers sick heads all around to day. I can't see ye taking Connaught not this yr any with it being in Castlebar.
    Iam not her for that iam just woundering what happens your u21s teams ye have won 4 of the last 6 and have very little to show from it.
    Do a lot of players have to leave for work or do they go on the beer and forget about training altogether or is it a management problem ,with so much underage success ye should be able to push on and be playing football in August with the big boys not getting knocked out in June/July and going down the back door route.
    Iam not her to cause a row between mayo and Roscommon there be enough of that come the Connaught final as the two teams should meet.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be making any bets on Mayo going to Salthill and winning.

Also, your post is a bit of a joke. It doesn't reflect well on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

naughto wrote: »
    Great weekend for ye lads no dobt thers sick heads all around to day. I can't see ye taking Connaught not this yr any with it being in Castlebar.
    Iam not her for that iam just woundering what happens your u21s teams ye have won 4 of the last 6 and have very little to show from it.

to be fair roscommon have gone from being a division 4 side in 2011 to a division 1 team in just 4 years so progress is clearly being made at senior level. of the 22 players that played some part in yesterdays game 18 have under 21 medals either from 2010, 12 or 14.

people might forget how low roscommon were in 2008-09, the last time they were in division 2...
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2008/0405/230226-dublin_roscommon/
    http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=91323
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2008/0330/229969-roscommon_westmeath/

connacht results were no better at the time, these were not even great mayo and galway sides which makes it worse http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2008/0518/232013-galway_roscommon/
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2009/0620/250804-mayo_roscommon/

Do a lot of players have to leave for work or do they go on the beer and forget about training altogether or is it a management problem ,with so much underage success ye should be able to push on and be playing football in August with the big boys not getting knocked out in June/July and going down the back door route.
    Iam not her to cause a row between mayo and Roscommon there be enough of that come the Connaught final as the two teams should meet.

Theres **** all work hear so thats part of the problem, fellas a bit fond of the porter and not taking the football as serious as other counties as well, hopefully it chances now for these fellas, I think it will

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

I wouldn't be making any bets on Mayo going to Salthill and winning.

Also, your post is a bit of a joke. It doesn't reflect well on you.

Ah syferus my old friend I knew you would reply I miss you in the mayo thread.
    I could have come in trolling the sh1te out if the thread but I didn't. It's one thing to get promoted it's another to stay there the odds of going down after one yr are very high.
    It's better for Connaught to have two teams in d 1 cos you need to play at the top level so when the champship starts you are used to the level football that tge top teams play.
    We will beat Galway in salt hill it will not be pretty but we will get the job done in the end the long lay off is the only thing that has me worried. We will be going in cold which is not great after a poor enough league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blowitupref

could have come in trolling the sh1te out if the thread but I didn't.

Are you 12?

Well done to rossies the hard work at underage is starting to pay off now. Monaghan rose from div 3 and have stayed in div 1 I see no reason why Roscommon with the quality of players and good management in place can't do likewise.

To win 4 Connacht u21 in titles in 6 years is a fine achievement well done and all the best in the all Ireland series.

Roscommon get beaten by Mayo and Galway before they leave the dressing room. Jackle and Hyde is the most suitable tag to give Roscommon football

Roscommon handed Mayo the game last year, and same in 2011, both at the Hyde

Injuries haven't helped. Poor auld Donie Shine Junior must have a body like an auld man by now,on the go for a long time

Have to say, John Evans has done a super job with the seniors, bearing in mind many lads went missing with U21 and St Brigids over the years

U21s hardly ever missing, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Another big weekend for Ros football with Roscommon CBS in their first ever Hogan Cup final.

I don't think anyone expected them to win Connacht, never mind reach the final. But sometimes a team is more than the sum of its parts, like the 2006 county minors.

Its a testament to the quality coaching going on in clubs in the CBS's catchment area that they can compete with much larger schools.

In fairness they were the second best team in Connacht in the league, only losing to Summerhill in the final, albeit by a big enough margin. They were starting from a high base so winning Connacht was never an unrealistic goal.

They have come on in leaps and bounds defensively in the championship but they will need to be able to utilize Shanagher and Gately more effectively in attack if they are to beat the defending champions.

Hard Luck to the CBS yesterday.
    Leading by 1 point with 8 minutes to go.
    A lot of people critical of their approach to the game, but they created more goal chances and if they'd stuck them away they'd have been champions.

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Hard Luck to the CBS yesterday.
    Leading by 1 point with 8 minutes to go.
    A lot of people critical of their approach to the game, but they created more goal chances and if they'd stuck them away they'd have been champions.

People who are critical of CBS's approach are talking our of their arses with no clue where they've come from or how far they've came. They were getting hockeying by Summerhill in the Connacht league final two months ago and adjusted their game brilliantly. They were knocked out in the first round of the Connacht B (!) championship last year so to get to the Hogan Cup final the next year is something else.

Well done to all involved.

People who are critical of CBS's approach are talking our of their arses with no clue where they've come from or how far they've came. They were getting hockeying by Summerhill in the Connacht league final two months ago and adjusted their game brilliantly. They were knocked out in the first round of the Connacht B (!) championship last year so to get to the Hogan Cup final the next year is something else.

Well done to all involved.

Tough luck , they didnt disgrace themselfs

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Tough luck , they didnt disgrace themselfs

How'd the u 21match go?

Beaten out the gate pure rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Unfortunately, I couldn't get to the match or even get to see it and only found out the result late last night. I had recorded it though and got to see it tonight.

Tyrone won, but there's no doubt Roscommon will be kicking themselves for not taking that game. It looked to me that after a slow start, they had the bulk of possession, but didn't use it too well up front. A number of our key players underperformed as well, which didn't help, but Roscommon still could have done better than they did. It's very disappointing because in a small county, teams of this quality don't come along too often.

Tyrone looked very well drilled, as you'd expect from Tyrone, but no world beaters. It will be an interesting final, as I, like nearly everybody else, expected Dublin to win the other semi.

outfoxed on the line and didn't sort out defensive issues from the connacht final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

roscommon didn't learn a thing from a year ago. they conceded 3-12 to cork in last years semi final, 1-21 to dublin, 0-12 to an awful sligo outfit, 3-11 to galway and 17 points to tyrone...so its not hard to know where the problem lies. roscommon conceded the same score to tyrone as fermanagh did in the first round of ulster :o

bad defending is endemic in roscommon football at all levels and has been for years. tyrones half backs ran forward all evening without a hand put on them. in contrast you could count on one hand and have 3 fingers left the amount of times our lads got a shot off within 30 yards of tyrones goal.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    roscommon didn't learn a thing from a year ago. they conceded 3-12 to cork in last years semi final, 1-21 to dublin, 0-12 to an awful sligo outfit, 3-11 to galway and 17 points to tyrone...so its not hard to know where the problem lies. roscommon conceded the same score to tyrone as fermanagh did in the first round of ulster :o

bad defending is endemic in roscommon football at all levels and has been for years. tyrones half backs ran forward all evening without a hand put on them. in contrast you could count on one hand and have 3 fingers left the amount of times our lads got a shot off within 30 yards of tyrones goal.

Thought all theyd to do was show up, its a mighty chance gone seen as it's only tipp in the final, pure rubbish stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Thought all theyd to do was show up, its a mighty chance gone seen as it's only tipp in the final, pure rubbish stuff

Only tipp
    Imo not a true reflection on this tipperary team as tipperary are highly rated team, well coached and have senior manager peter creedon with them as selector also have outstanding colm riordain who would walk on any under twenty team in the country and a few seniors teams
    Also likes o brien also

This tipperary team hsve been highly thought of in munster all year before it started and beat top top class Dublin team and anyone beats dubs deserves serious respect
    I don't think roscommon would beaten them to be honest
    That's irrelevant now of course
    This opinion imo it's only tipperary is not correct when this tipperary team is a fine fine team and as proven among the best around
    Roscommon football deserves huge credit for the outstanding work their doing at under age and senior and deserve huge credit for what they achieved at senior this year so future obviously bright for them once continue the work their doing and even in challenge match this year gsve cork tough game at senior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

Colin and Stephen.

Advertisement