Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Not that incredible when you look at the Roscommon and Galway teams of that era, Cosmos. Everything goes in swings and roundabouts. Hopefully it's time for another swing this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Well I've been there to see us do it (and not down in Division 3 either).

I suppose we could just get relegated a couple of times if we wanted to improve our chances.:P

That's true, incredible to think now that we only played seven championship games in Croke Park during that 38 year run (and none at all during the 70s).

during the 70's ye couldn't keep the the ball kicked out to Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    during the 70's ye couldn't keep the the ball kicked out to Roscommon

Changed times indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

As a Mayo man I welcome the return of a strong Roscommon team and hope Galway get back up to their previous place as well. A strong provincial championship is what everyone needs.
    All going well we'll see ye in the final and we should both have a better idea of were the teams really are. It would be only the most blindly optimistic supporter who would read anything into a FBD game in mid January.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Mayo's Connacht record in the 70s is all the more improbable when you consider they won All Ireland minors in '66 & '71 (again in '78 but would hardly of affected seniors that decade) and 21s won in '67 and '74. The seniors also won a national league in '70.

From '52 up to '87 Mayo lost 14 Connacht finals and won a paltry 5.

From '88 to 2014 Mayo have lost 7 and won 14 Connachts ie 14/27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Looking forward to the final, would be mighty to win a trophy , should be a great crowd, will he play the lads who are on the u21 or not , does any one know how many of the minor team what win the all Ireland is playing for the seniurs now,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Under 21's beat Mayo 1-10 to 1-6 to win their Hasting Cup semi final.They scored 1-2 unanswered in the last 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Any team named for ye lads tomorrow yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

yabadabado wrote: »
    Under 21's beat Mayo 1-10 to 1-6 to win their Hasting Cup semi final.They scored 1-2 unanswered in the last 5 minutes.

nice to win for sure but both ourselves and mayo left out the biggest guns like o'connor, gallagher, coen, patrick durcan while we left the likes of murtagh, enda smith and kieran kilcline. leitrim seriously improving at under 21 level given they took galway to extra time today and basically the last kick of the game.

i can't see roscommon making too many changes tomorrow personally. cathal shine will replace Ian Kilbride in midfield if fit while ronan stack might fill for donie smith if evans decides on a more defensive approach but our options are limited with injuries. the team that started against mayo was as follows:

D. O’Malley; S. McDermott, N. Carty, N. Collins; B. Murtagh, N. Daly, C. Cafferky; I. Kilbride, M. Healy; M. Nally, D. Smith, E. Smith; D. Murtagh, S. Kilbride, C. Murtagh.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Any team named for ye lads tomorrow yet?

Haha.. us naming a team. Good one, Hulk Hands :D

Maybe when someone gets a hold of the match program tonight or tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

Good win in the FBD final today. Very good second half after not playing well in the first. Congrats to Croans for making the AI Intermediate final too.

Good start to the season but if we don't beat Cavan next week we put ourselves behind the eight ball in terms of staying up.

Pure mighty today, great crowd there and every one in great form after winning the trophy, well done to the team , great start to the year beating mayo and galway,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Good win today and I'm a big believer in winning being a habit and I believe this Roscommon team are developing that winning habit.

It didn't look hectic at half-time, with only a one point lead having played with a strong wind, especially when Galway looked very comfortable in possession and had scored a number of very impressive points. But it really was a case of 'goals win games'. The four goals were super efforts, really well finished with some excellent support play in all buildups.

Ciaran Murtagh was a deserved MOM and Enda Smith's direct running caused lots of problems. As usual our full-back line were very solid.

The old chestnut of not winning breaking ball in midfield was obvious in the first half, but in fairness wasn't an issue in the second. Cathal Shine was reasonable in midfield, but needs a regular partner. I'm not convinced Ian Kilbride is an inter-county midfielder.

Anyway, next week is more important, but it's better to be going in on the back of two solid wins than losses.

Ian is just filling in in the middle, Cathal had a knock the last day, or he was just rotated out to give Ian a run. This week Mark Healy wasn't even named on the bench after a good performance against two very good midfielders last week, I assume he was injured.

Coupled with Donie and Higgins out injured and Harney just making his debut today after his own minor injuries our options in the middle were pretty compressed today. Hopeful that Healy isn't seriously injured. Mark Nally can play midfield too, indeed it's probably his best position.

Is the under 21 s on this Saturday, will he play the lads from the seniours or save them for Sunday

Yeah its on Saturday.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Yeah its on Saturday.

Sound out, thanks

the likes of diarmuid murtagh and enda smith should play no part for the under 21s this weekend. those guys are definite starters come championship time in march so we need to see if the likes of mcgann, walsh, finn, killoran etc are up to the task at this level.

personally i wouldn't play kilcline or ronan daly either because both of those are certs to start in the championship as well. ultan harney needs game time so he probably needs at least a half on saturday

at this stage winning the Hastings Cup isn't important

they've got 4 good games out of it to sharpen up players. Now the serious stuff starts

roscommon won under 21 hastings cup for a second year in a row beating galway on a score of 2-21 to 1-11 this afternoon.

great second half performance by our lads and ultan harney was outstanding. enda smith or diarmuid murtagh played no part in todays match as both will start for the seniors against cavan.

• Advertisement

Excellent stuff. Good competition for places in the U21 team. Sligo are visiting us in the Connacht semi in six weeks, after last year we cannot dare overlook them. One match at a time, but these lads are good and Mark Dowd is a good manager too. Good to see Frankie getting involved at underage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Great stuff from the U21s.

A loss tomorrow would be a disaster for the seniors, and for once we're actually being touted to go up, been a long time since we've played Division 1 football.

The FBD league was promising and we've looked to improve our forward play and fluidty since last year.

There's plenty of good young footballers in the county, Ultan Harney with 6 points from play surely staked his claim for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Does anyone know if it will be possible to get a ticket at the ground today?

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Great stuff from the U21s.

A loss tomorrow would be a disaster for the seniors, and for once we're actually being touted to go up, been a long time since we've played Division 1 football.

The FBD league was promising and we've looked to improve our forward play and fluidty since last year.

There's plenty of good young footballers in the county, Ultan Harney with 6 points from play surely staked his claim for a start.

The likes of Harney, Compton and Corcoran need to be minded. They are big lads and pick up injuries due to the attention they attract.

Too much football too young is not good for lads. If we're serious about winning titles in the long term.

After last week's impressive win, my hopes were high today against Cavan, but to be totally honest Roscommon were lucky to come out of Kiltoom today with a draw.

Firstly the positives - the full-back line were excellent as usual, with Collins continuing to dominate every opponent he faces. The full-forward line looked dangerous with Senan as sharp as I've seen him in a long time.

However, there were two major negatives - 1. THE F*CKING BREAKING BALL AT MIDFIELD!!! Jesus, I'm sick to the teeth of this issue. It has been dogging Roscommon football for years and although there seemed to have been improvements made in the last 18 months, it was back with a vengeance today. There was very obviously very, very little ball being caught or even attempting to be caught - and this is normal in the modern game - so why the hell did Roscommon win just one breaking ball in the first half by my reckoning? There is no excuse for this.
    2. The amount of turnovers Roscommon gave away was really, really disappointing. The support play that was so impressive last week was evident up to a point (mainly in the Roscommon half), but once the ball reached the Cavan 45 (and I appreciate Cavan's defensive setup) Roscommon seemed to dither and dally and there were a lot of dropped balls and misplaced handpasses that left a very frustrated feeling watching.

I have to say also that if I was from Cavan I would have been very unimpressed with the referee. Roscommon got a number of very soft frees, with one in particular where Cathal Shine came in with the boot on a Cavan player who was going down to pick the ball, but the Cavan player ended up being booked when Cathal went down 'injured' had everyone around me scratching their head. I honestly thought Shine should have been booked! Roscommon got a few soft frees which kept them ahead, but without these, I have no doubt they would have lost. So, next week in Down is going to be tough if they play like this.

megadodge wrote: »
    After last week's impressive win, my hopes were high today against Cavan, but to be totally honest Roscommon were lucky to come out of Kiltoom today with a draw.

Firstly the positives - the full-back line were excellent as usual, with Collins continuing to dominate every opponent he faces. The full-forward line looked dangerous with Senan as sharp as I've seen him in a long time.

However, there were two major negatives - 1. THE F*CKING BREAKING BALL AT MIDFIELD!!! Jesus, I'm sick to the teeth of this issue. It has been dogging Roscommon football for years and although there seemed to have been improvements made in the last 18 months, it was back with a vengeance today. There was very obviously very, very little ball being caught or even attempting to be caught - and this is normal in the modern game - so why the hell did Roscommon win just one breaking ball in the first half by my reckoning? There is no excuse for this.
    2. The amount of turnovers Roscommon gave away was really, really disappointing. The support play that was so impressive last week was evident up to a point (mainly in the Roscommon half), but once the ball reached the Cavan 45 (and I appreciate Cavan's defensive setup) Roscommon seemed to dither and dally and there were a lot of dropped balls and misplaced handpasses that left a very frustrated feeling watching.

I have to say also that if I was from Cavan I would have been very unimpressed with the referee. Roscommon got a number of very soft frees, with one in particular where Cathal Shine came in with the boot on a Cavan player who was going down to pick the ball, but the Cavan player ended up being booked when Cathal went down 'injured' had everyone around me scratching their head. I honestly though Shine should have been booked! Roscommon got a few soft frees which kept them ahead, but without these, I have no doubt they would have lost. So, next week in Down is going to be tough if they play like this.

How did the forwards play. I couldn't make it to the match today or yesterday because of the calving, home against Cavan is really a match we should be winning

Game was crying out for a fit Donie or Higgins, the later of whom dominated the two meaningful Cavan games last year.

Midfield was malfunctioning and it had as much to do with the support players as Shine or Healy, the later of whom actually showed quite well in play for someone making his competive debut.

Donie warmed up but didn't come on. You'd hope that if the midfield is acting up on Saturday he'll be fit enough to come on, that is assuming he doesn't get thrown straight in from the off.

Syferus wrote: »
    Game was crying out for a fit Donie or Higgins, the later of whom dominated the two meaningful Cavan games last year.

Midfield was malfunctioning and it had as much to do with the support players as Shine or Healy, the later of whom actually showed quite well in play for someone making his competive debut.

Donie warmed up but didn't come on. You'd hope that if the midfield is acting up on Saturday he'll be fit enough to come on, that is assuming he doesn't get thrown straight in from the off.

That's my whole point. Although one of their midfield players did score either 3 or 4 points from play, the inability of the half lines to win any breaking ball was just a much bigger problem. The breaking ball is not the midfielders' responsibility, they're usually the ones contesting for it in the air.

Healy did quite well overall. Long term he has the size and footballing ability to play in midfield, it's just the ongoing injury problem. Was talking to his mother beforehand and I think it's a case of keep the fingers crossed.

Roscommon 1-15 Down 1-11
    Huge win for Roscommon tonight,really wasn't expecting to get a result in Newry,Down went unbeaten at home last year.
    Some wonderful performance and when the pressure was on in the second half they really dug deep.Hope Ros can push on from tonight and get a few more good wins and secure Div 2 football .

• Advertisement

Great result and three points heading into the three week break leaves us in quite a good space in the table and in our own heads. But for stepping off Down for a 10-15 minute spell in the second half the result could have been alot easier but the likes of Cregg and Donie Smith coming on injected us with purpose again and saw us through relatively comfortably.

Megadodge, I assume Healy's injuries were acting up again, didn't feature today at all. He's put up good shows against Mayo and Cavan but has missed the games the following week in each case. Hopefully the three week break will allowing him and our other players nearing fitness to be ready to go for the Meath game.

Advertisement