Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Now that the dust has settled and I've got to have a look at my recording of the match, I've a mixture of emotions.

I said beforehand that I would be happy with a good performance (which is very alien to the way I normally think) and going by the standards we have been used to over the last 13 years, it certainly was a very good performance from Roscommon. The commitment and workrate was excellent, the players played with a definite gameplan. We won more than our fair share at midfield (even the breaking ball which I'm always on about). For the bulk of the game our defending was excellent. Most importantly, it's obvious that the team are continually improving.

On the negative side though, we lost a game that was there for the taking. I know that's something more experienced teams do easier, but the four completely unnecessary frees conceded late in the game, on a day Mayo were really struggling to score from play, was down to nothing other than lack of discipline (something that was so impressive for the rest of the game). Those frees just shouldn't have happened. No excuses.
    In the first half when we defended deep, poor Ciaran Murtagh was left completely isolated in the full-forward line with only three Mayo players for company. We struggled to move the ball forward at pace - Kevin Higgins seemed to be the only player who consistently gained ground every time he won possession.

Then there is the whole issue of the non-starting of the U21s. There is a train of thought that Evans wanted the more physically imposing players to batter and bruise for 2/3s of the game before introducing the younger 'lighter' lads (all three are strongly built lads) to take advantage of the softened up opposition. It's not without merit, but when you think of how Diarmuid Murtagh showed for 6 balls, won 6 balls, scored 3 points, set up another and set up a shot that came off the post, you have to believe he would have done even more damage if he was on longer. Same goes for Enda Smith who won any amount of ball when he came on and used it well. These two lads were (outside of Cathal Cregg) by far our two best players in the league, so why suddenly drop them when you need them most? I'm a believer in the old adage 'if you're good enough, you're old enough' and certainly don't believe Evan's assertion that they needed time to get over the U21 loss, especially since they had the Leitrim game under their belt for that supposed purpose.

Anyway, overall it's a sign that Roscommon are most definitely on an upward trajectory. The big thing now is to bloody well avoid Tyrone in the qualifiers. If we were to win two qualifier games it would have to be looked upon as a successful year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Donie out for the year with a ruptured PCL. Hopefully it's on the lower end of the scale and he makes a swift recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Syferus wrote: »
    Donie out for the year with a ruptured PCL. Hopefully it's on the lower end of the scale and he makes a swift recovery.

According to the RTE website it's the less serious type.

A bad blow all the same, I think a timeframe of 6/8 weeks was mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ros14

RESULTS

Hodson Bay Hotel Group Senior Football Championship

Group A:
    Clann na nGael 1.25 - 0.06 Kilmore
    Roscommon Gaels 2.15 - 2.06 Castlerea St. Kevins

Group B:
    Elphin 1.05 - 3.10 Boyle
    St. Brigids 1.12 - 1.11 Padraig Pearses

Group C:
    Western Gaels 3.18 - 2.04 St. Aidans
    Strokestown 1.12 - 0.18 St. Faithleachs

Hodson Bay Hotel Group Intermediate Football Championship

Group A:
    Eire Óg 0.10 - 0.08 St. Dominics
    St. Michaels 0.12 - 0.10 Clann na nGael B

Group B:
    St. Barry's 0.17 - 1.09 St. Ronans
    Tulsk Lord Edwards 0.09 - 2.14 St. Croans

Group C:
    Fuerty 0.08 - 2.07 Oran
    Kilbride 3.10 - 0.10 Kilglass Gaels

Great team performance to beat a very fancied Leitrim in the Connacht MFC SF tonight. Back to McHale for another Connacht final with Mayo. Well done to FOD, management and the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Tyrone are one of the four teams that we can be drawn against tomorrow, the others being Down, Cavan and Carlow.

Just get that sinking feeling it's gonna be Tyrone again

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lancerwall

Tyrone are one of the four teams that we can be drawn against tomorrow, the others being Down, Cavan and Carlow.

Just get that sinking feeling it's gonna be Tyrone again

Think most people are thinking it will be Tyrone again, bar Carlow they are very tough games, home advantage would be essential to win in my opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Here ye are now lads, Cavan vs Roscommon, rerun of the Div 3 final.

This is a big game for the Rossies and it will be a sign of how far they have progressed this year. If they can put a few results together and get to Croke Park for August it will have been a great year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Here ye are now lads, Cavan vs Roscommon, rerun of the Div 3 final.

This is a big game for the Rossies and it will be a sign of how far they have progressed this year. If they can put a few results together and get to Croke Park for August it will have been a great year.

I know Donie Shine will be missing but are Roscommon missing many?

Cavan are now down six starters from last year. Killian Clarke and Dara McVeety have gone Stateside due to playing so much football the last few years. Martin Dunne is injured and this game will come too soon for him. Ronan Flanagan has taken time out from football due to health reasons from earlier this year. Mackey and Keating are both carrying injuries and were fit for less than ten minutes on Saturday. I can't see either being fit to start in a fortnight.

We have a strong panel with 46 players used in the League but we're missing our four Ulster All Stars from last year (Dunne, Mackey, Keating, Clarke). Mackey is our main creative influence and Keating/Dunne would be our two biggest scoring threats. Ronan Flanagan would also have been our most experienced player.

It'll be a big ask for us to reverse the League final scoreline, even at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think home advantage will be the difference here between two evenly matched teams.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    I know Donie Shine will be missing but are Roscommon missing many?

Cavan are now down six starters from last year. Killian Clarke and Dara McVeety have gone Stateside due to playing so much football the last few years. Martin Dunne is injured and this game will come too soon for him. Ronan Flanagan has taken time out from football due to health reasons from earlier this year. Mackey and Keating are both carrying injuries and were fit for less than ten minutes on Saturday. I can't see either being fit to start in a fortnight.

We have a strong panel with 46 players used in the League but we're missing our four Ulster All Stars from last year (Dunne, Mackey, Keating, Clarke). Mackey is our main creative influence and Keating/Dunne would be our two biggest scoring threats. Ronan Flanagan would also have been our most experienced player.

It'll be a big ask for us to reverse the League final scoreline, even at home.

I think literally everyone with long term injuries that weren't available for Mayo are fit besides Donie. Donal Ward is still involved with the panel but is waiting until his club's championship is done to have surgery that is preventing him from training properly so he hasn't been in the consideration since early in the league. No one's left the panel anyways which a good sign about how committed the panel is to making something happen this year.

David Keenan (one of our best players in the league and against Leitrim), Conor Daly (one of our starting U21s from the league) and Paddy Brogan are all fit again, at least fit enough to have some role if needed. All three are HBs/defensive (ok, Daly's at his best attacking) HFs. It should give us more options around the middle anyways.

I'd expect Enda Smith (U21) to start for Donie and we'll probably switch the Murtagh brothers (Diarmuid for Ciaran) in the FF line.

Really happy with the draw, not because it's easy but because it's a game where both teams have no serious baggage with each other and will likely fancy their chances. Should be a good game.

Really happy with the draw, not because it's easy but because it's a game where both teams have no serious baggage with each other and will likely fancy their chances. Should be a good game.

Roscommon would have to fancy themselves to progress tbh, even with the game in Breffni. Meath seem to have greatly improved from Division 2 football and I'd hope it will give similar benefit to both our counties next year.

I don't think it will be a good game. I can see it being a war of attrition with both teams playing blanket defences. We played well in patches on Saturday but there was twenty minutes at the start of the second half where we blitzed Westmeath to turn a 2 point deficit into a 7 point lead. Our only hope is more of the same.

I just hope we don't get more madness like the 3 o'clock throw in that we had on Saturday. Cavan town is busy enough on a Saturday afternoon without adding a bumper crowd for a game to the mix.

We won't be playing blanket defence. We'll have sweepers like most teams but even in the league final we didn't play that game. The reason we did against Mayo had more to do with who we were against than how we want to play. or how we usually play. To be honest we won't be looking at Cavan's HBs and thinking they can hurt us as much as Colm Boyle and Lee Keegan can and that was the main reason behind being so compact the last day. Cavan were also more open than usual in the league final but given the result ye will probably be more cagey this time around.

It won't be a game for Pat Spillane but it should be a good game regardless.

We won't be playing blanket defence. We'll have sweepers like most teams but even in the league final we didn't play that game. The reason we did against Mayo had more to do with who we were against than how we want to play. or how we usually play. To be honest we won't be looking at Cavan's HBs and thinking they can hurt us as much as Colm Boyle and Lee Keegan can and that was the main reason behind being so compact the last day. Cavan were also more open than usual in the league final but given the result ye will probably be more cagey this time around.

It won't be a game for Pat Spillane but it should be a good game regardless.

In the League game in Breffni, Roscommon very much played a blanket defence which is why I'd expect more of the same in the Championship game. Given the forward players we are missing, I think we'll be getting out a blanket that Spillane would be proud of!

Will be interesting to see what the bookies' odds are but I'd expect Roscommon to be favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Cavan,roscommon both evens with paddy power at moment. Cavan are now back on track with that win against westmeath. It's unknown how Roscommon will react to semi final defeat against Mayo, a game that ros could have won.

Lemlin wrote: »
    In the League game in Breffni, Roscommon very much played a blanket defence which is why I'd expect more of the same in the Championship game. Given the forward players we are missing, I think we'll be getting out a blanket that Spillane would be proud of!

Will be interesting to see what the bookies' odds are but I'd expect Roscommon to be favourites.

Evans was soft-soaping Cavan for the already set in stone league final. It was totally at odds with how we set up all throughout the league and FBD and set up in every game afterwards apart from the Mayo game, the league final included. We were also reduced to 14 men for the second half and took a forward off to replace the red carded HB. So we were never going to be playing attacking football.

If you or Cavan are using that game as a guide you'll be a good bit off the mark. Especially if Cavan sit back we'll be pushing men forward, it wouldn't be playing to our strengths to try and beat Cavan at their own game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭DiamondDave88

Roscommon have improved since the league final imo and the u21s will be a great addition.. the loss of shine could be a blessing in disguise, he's been p1ss poor in the championship! They hammered sligo in a challenge 3-24 to 0-09 over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Roscommon have improved since the league final imo and the u21s will be a great addition.. the loss of shine could be a blessing in disguise, he's been p1ss poor in the championship! They hammered sligo in a challenge 3-24 to 0-09 over the weekend

Like him or not Donie will be a loss. His positioning at centre-forward has suited him and the team. He had a very good league and played well against Leitrim. He was seriously injured early against Mayo and should have been taken off earlier, so I fail to see how that equates to being piss-poor.

Having him around the centre for kickouts means along with the other two big lads, it's very hard to outfield Ros. His kick-passing into the inside forwards will be missed, especially when there are a lot of defenders, as there will be against Cavan. And who will be taking 50's or long-range free-kicks that will be as good as Donie (even though I admit his free-taking can be hit and miss)?

megadodge wrote: »
    Like him or not Donie will be a loss. His positioning at centre-forward has suited him and the team. He had a very good league and played well against Leitrim. He was seriously injured early against Mayo and should have been taken off earlier, so I fail to see how that equates to being piss-poor.

Having him around the centre for kickouts means along with the other two big lads, it's very hard to outfield Ros. His kick-passing into the inside forwards will be missed, especially when there are a lot of defenders, as there will be against Cavan. And who will be taking 50's or long-range free-kicks that will be as good as Donie (even though I admit his free-taking can be hit and miss)?

I do agree he had a good league campaign and we probably wouldn't have won the final without him that day.. but at the end of the day it's the championship that matters and he hasn't performed since sligo 2010! I was at both games at the hyde and I thought he was very poor in general, perhaps injury has hampered him cuz the little pace he had is totally gone! Mike finneran would be another option for the long frees if he can get his place if not I don't know but wouldn't be confident with Donie taking them anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I do agree he had a good league campaign and we probably wouldn't have won the final without him that day.. but at the end of the day it's the championship that matters and he hasn't performed since sligo 2010! I was at both games at the hyde and I thought he was very poor in general, perhaps injury has hampered him cuz the little pace he had is totally gone! Mike finneran would be another option for the long frees if he can get his place if not I don't know but wouldn't be confident with Donie taking them anyways!
    Donie Shine played well in 2011 connacht final and in the win against Armagh 2012. Has Finneran ever taken a long range free for ros? And its unlikely he will start anyway.

• Advertisement

Evans was soft-soaping Cavan for the already set in stone league final. It was totally at odds with how we set up all throughout the league and FBD and set up in every game afterwards apart from the Mayo game, the league final included. We were also reduced to 14 men for the second half and took a forward off to replace the red carded HB. So we were never going to be playing attacking football.

If you or Cavan are using that game as a guide you'll be a good bit off the mark. Especially if Cavan sit back we'll be pushing men forward, it wouldn't be playing to our strengths to try and beat Cavan at their own game.

It would certainly be to Roscommon's advantage to push up on our backline. Gilsenan went with a number of short kick outs on Saturday and when Westmeath pushed up they put our backline under pressure.

Going by the league final, Shine would be a big loss. His free taking in the League game in Breffni was poor but he was spot on in the final. He also provided alot of support out around the midfield.

Chances are we'll be starting 6 foot 6 Michael Argue midfield with McKiernan. He's growing into a real star. He had a good game on Saturday and is more than capable of taking a score. I'd hope he will see our midfield perform a bit better.

He was very effective in a two man FF line with Kilbride in 2011. He was also injured for pretty much the entire 2013 season too. Lazy analysis at best I'm afraid.

We'll miss his long-range frees and his play-making but if we add the likes of Diarmuid Murtagh inside and Enda Smith, David Keenan and Conor Daly outside we should have plenty of invention. I've been impressed by the younger Shine and Higgins around the middle lately, they've progressed as players and doing a number on the O'Sheas the last day gives me confidence they can perform at the level that's needed of them so Donie's ariel ability mightn't be as critical in a game where Cavan have their own troubles in the middle. Kevin just being a little cuter with the ball in hand would make a huge difference, the lad is getting stuck in and getting on a lot of ball for us now.

I think if we win we'll need to be looking to get Donie back ASAP but I don't think Cavan are set up to exploit how our game will change without Donie outside of slowing our rhythm by fouling in places where Donie could score frees for us.

Donie Shine played well in 2011 connacht final and in the win against Armagh 2012. Has Finneran ever taken a long range free for ros? And its unlikely he will start anyway.

Tbh all I remember from 2011 was rain and hail pelting against my face! and he did score (and missed) a few frees against armagh and did alright but keeping clarke quiet and senans goal in the second half won that game for ros! Don't get me wrong I'd love shine to be at top form/fitness for ros but think we have better options in attack atm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Question, who will take the frees off the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Does anyone know if you have to buy tickets in advance of the game from Super Value etc, or can you just walk up on the day and pay at the door ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Does anyone know if you have to buy tickets in advance of the game from Super Value etc, or can you just walk up on the day and pay at the door ?

Yes you can buy in advance from Super Valu - there is a list of stores on the gaa ticket website. Would recommend doing it this way as there was long queues at Breffni the last match trying to get tickets plus you are essentially queuing twice.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Yes you can buy in advance from Super Valu - there is a list of stores on the gaa ticket website. Would recommend doing it this way as there was long queues at Breffni the last match trying to get tickets plus you are essentially queuing twice.

The Westmeath game was delayed ten to fifteen minutes because of the queues. Buying them at Supervalu is far easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Any word on the starting 15 for this evening lads?

Shouldn't be much in it but would hope our forward scoring potential will tip the scales in our favour but it won't be easy. Most counties would feel the loss of Dunne and Mackey against that Ros are without Donie.

Anyway best of luck to the team and management and hopefully the minors can complete a great weekend for us.

All three starting U21s were instrumental today. Enda Smith was MotM by a good margin though. On one of his five points from play he caught a ball high over his head and soloed straight through the heart of a massed Cavan defence.

Johneen is a fine manager and this is a team with a lot of potential. Patience, Roscommon, patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

All three starting U21s were instrumental today. Enda Smith was MotM by a good margin though. On one of his five points from play he caught a ball high over his head and soloed straight through the heart of a massed Cavan defence.

Johneen is a fine manager and this is a team with a lot of potential. Patience, Roscommon, patience.

Smith was MOTM by a distance and the defence did well but that first half performance was dismal.everything done at such a slow pace with little or no penatration.
    Cavan were pathetic.

Advertisement