Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ros14

Gunneros wrote: »
    Brigids seem to be going pretty well but still some uncertainty over availability of a few players supposedly travelling for summer. Clann are beginning to look very strong and will fancy their chances this year. Honestly can't see any other team realistically challenging.

Paddy Mul is supposedly doing very well since his move to Kiltoom, he could play a big part. Clann's minor team last year was outstanding. Does anybody know if any of that team, apart from Harney, are getting a lot of minutes for them? Surely one or two will try to be blended in.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

Gunneros wrote: »
    Brigids seem to be going pretty well but still some uncertainty over availability of a few players supposedly travelling for summer. Clann are beginning to look very strong and will fancy their chances this year. Honestly can't see any other team realistically challenging.

I think the management know what players are travelling to America.
    Ros14 wrote: »
    Paddy Mul is supposedly doing very well since his move to Kiltoom, he could play a big part. Clann's minor team last year was outstanding. Does anybody know if any of that team, apart from Harney, are getting a lot of minutes for them? Surely one or two will try to be blended in.

He has been a huge success since he arrived at Kiltoom. Scored 2-5 against Kilmore last Sunday. I question how they are a Senior team and not intermediate, to lose 3-25 to 0-02 is shocking. Brigids had no county players either.

I can imagine Martin Flannery would be getting a few minutes, but can't see him starting in championship.

Irish94 wrote: »

Any idea on who the players that will be missing are? Any major players?
    I can imagine Martin Flannery would be getting a few minutes, but can't see him starting in championship.

Solid young player. I seen them at minor a few times last year and they posted some huge scores, wonder if some of the forwards from that team will make the upgrade, although it is very early for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gunneros

Ros14 wrote: »
    Any idea on who the players that will be missing are? Any major players?

Solid young player. I seen them at minor a few times last year and they posted some huge scores, wonder if some of the forwards from that team will make the upgrade, although it is very early for them.

Cathal mchugh is 50/50 he was in Boston for most of last summer and may return. His cousin Conor is in America. Peter domican is still in Dubai and won't be back. Ritchie Blaine will shortly be leaving to go to the states. Gearoid cunniffe was supposed to be travelling this summer but may have changed his mind. On top of that Darren Dolan is still struggling with the same injury that kept him out of football last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

He has been a huge success since he arrived at Kiltoom. Scored 2-5 against Kilmore last Sunday. I question how they are a Senior team and not intermediate, to lose 3-25 to 0-02 is shocking. Brigids had no county players either.

Kilmore always win the games they need to win to stay senior. Credit to them.
    If they went down they'd probably never come back up.

• Advertisement

As already pointed out, the league this year has been a joke. Most teams, Croans and Kilmore aside, have played only 4 games all season. Then they have 3 (1 Championship and 2 League) in the space of a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

hqdefault.jpg
    Shít just got real

Roscommon team to face the rhubarbs
    Roscommon (SFC v Mayo) - Darren O'Malley; Seán McDermott, Niall Carty, Neil Collins; Ian Kilbride, Niall Daly, Ciarán Cafferkey; Cathal Shine, Kevin Higgins; David O'Gara, Donie Shine, Ronan Stack; Senan Kilbride, Cathal Cregg, Ciaráin Murtagh.

Considering Ros are missing 3 or 4 half backs its quite a good team. I doubt we have enough physicality to deal with Mayo
    If we could get our best 15 onto the field with another 4/5 quality players to come in we'd be a match for any team outside of the top 4/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Roscommon will get destroyed in this game, far too may weak spots in the team, Mayo will blow that team apart, it could be over at half time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Roscommon will get destroyed in this game, far too may weak spots in the team, Mayo will blow that team apart, it could be over at half time again.

Well see about that, not a hope will we get destroyed, it will be a tight game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

If Sundays game is over at half time then its clear John Evans is not the man to lead Roscommon forward. Plenty of credit has gone his way for the promotion to div 2 this year however for the talent available to the Rossies they should have been in div 2 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Paddico

I dont know about that. Evens is a good manager, he did a great job for us down in Tipp until his ego got in the way. The half back line is not at full strength but I'm thinking there wont be anymore then 5 or 6 in it at the end.

Really looking forward to this as the ol man is from Kilmore originally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Hi lads, surprisingly quiet in here the last few days.

What ye thinking for tomorrow.

While our starting team and panel is a stronger unit than 12 months ago we face a mammoth task tomorrow. Loath them or hate them Mayo are the 2nd best team in the country and are a couple of rungs above us on the championship ladder.

Interesting to see how Evans sets our lads out. Surely lessons were learned from 12 months ago when we tried to go toe to toe with Mayo, to do so again would be naïve in the extreme? Probably an approach closer to the tactics employed against Tryone although I'm not sure I would like to see the whole half forward line quiet so withdrawn.

Mayo's major strength lies in the wave like attacks launched from their half back line and keith Higgins further back and follow on support off the shoulder. This too is probably a slight weakness as it leaves a lot of space in behind for teams that can utilise accurate kick passing and quick support play.
    Call it heresy but I'm not fond on donie at centre half forward. Think he slows it down that second or two that a really top player doesn't do. Given the attacking speed of that half back line I would like to see him and cregg switch, a move that would probably get the most out of both players?

Anyway best of luck to the lads, leave nothing in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Donie's kick-passing is exactly what is speeding up our game. The difference between our attack last year with him injured and this year with him fit is night and day. As well as play-making from 11 he's essential in helping win the aerial battle in the middle.

His skill-set is exactly what managers look for in a prototypical CF, too many people let the fact he's not some speed demon with his feet distract for how well he uses the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Syferus wrote: »
    Donie's kick-passing is exactly what is speeding up our game. The difference between our attack last year with him injured and this year with him fit is night and day. As well as play-making from 11 he's essential in helping win the aerial battle in the middle.

His skill-set is exactly what managers look for in a prototypical CF, too many people let the fact he's not some speed demon with his feet distract for how well he uses the ball.

Very good post.

Donie has finally found his right position at CHF. As you said, his kick-passing to the inside line has been instrumental in their racking up of big scores, plus his aerial ability supplements midfield for kickouts.

Obviously his lack of pace won't help out with the tracking back, which is going to be very important against such an attack-minded HB line, but surely there'll have a plan for that?

Anyway, here's hoping for a good performance.

Lads I'm not doubting his skill set for the position I just think he is inclined to take too much out of the ball at times which can stall the momentum of our attacks at times.
    My main concern today is the pace of the mayo half back line and how we counteract it. Maybe two man ff line leaving donie free to hold his position as pivot?

Donie's always looking up the field, there is no way he takes too much out the field. No one else is looking to split open a defence with a deep pass as often as Donie does. What you're leveling at him is factually incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

If mayo have any sense they'll put Vaughan or keegan on done and attack him. The days of having a slow #11 is gone I'm afraid and good teams can expose them.
    Hope I'm wrong.

If mayo have any sense they'll put Vaughan or keegan on done and attack him. The days of having a slow #11 is gone I'm afraid and good teams can expose them.
    Hope I'm wrong.
    kinda the point I was trying to make but much better put!!

Today will be a good indicator as to our current standing.

kinda the point I was trying to make but much better put!!

Today will be a good indicator as to our current standing.

His defence doesn't slow the game down so I can't see how that was your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Blew it.

Higgins must have kicked 5 bad wides, when he could have layed it off to the forwards
    They should have just got the ball to Murtagh more in the last 20 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Very disappointed after that game. The game was there to be won and we threw it away. How Donie Murtagh doesn't start instead of Ciaran I cant understand.

I also thought the referee had a terrible game. There was at least three of mayos points that shouldn't have been frees or else should have been a free out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

They were there for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Blue giant wrote: »
    Very disappointed after that game. The game was there to be won and we threw it away. How Donie Murtagh doesn't start instead of Ciaran I cant understand.

I also thought the referee had a terrible game. There was at least three of mayos points that shouldn't have been frees or else should have been a free out.

In fairness Ros got a couple of awful handy free outs near the end that should have gone the other way. They got away with a few blatant black card offences as well so it probably evened out over the 70.

Tough draw coming up in Round 2 of the qualifiers for you now. Group B (the group Roscommon now go in to) looks a lot tougher than Group A this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Bit of a surprise today Farmer Brown. While Ross came close and had chances Mayo had a load of wides. The game will stand to Mayo and will improve. Ross can still get a run in the qualifiers if they have the spirit but hard to see them go as far as the quarters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Reminds me of the final in 2011, not necessarily the better team, but still the game was there for us

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Very disapointing, I thought when we went 3 up with ten minutes to go we would do it or at least get the draw, crazy that murtagh wasn't on there earlier, he had the beating of the marker and was causing trouble, our midfield was mighty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Bad decision making cost Roscommon more than anything. We all know the talent is there. Psychologically we need to take that next step.

Little things like knowing when to offload at the right time, when to stand your ground in the tackle rather than concede a soft free when the opposition are looking for a breather.

This group of players will improve with games. The qualifiers is also the perfect place to unlease more of the under 21s, hopefully we get a decent draw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Bad decision making cost Roscommon more than anything. We all know the talent is there. Psychologically we need to take that next step.

Little things like knowing when to offload at the right time, when to stand your ground in the tackle rather than concede a soft free when the opposition are looking for a breather.

This group of players will improve with games. The qualifiers is also the perfect place to unlease more of the under 21s, hopefully we get a decent draw

Mayo supporter here,wishing you guys were the very best in the qualifiers.Bit of experience got us over the line,very fortunate.I've no doubt the day is near when Roscommon will win a Connaught title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mayo supporter here,wishing you guys were the very best in the qualifiers.Bit of experience got us over the line,very fortunate.I've no doubt the day is near when Roscommon will win a Connaught title.

Same here - Mayo supporter, will be rooting for ye in the qualifiers.

Mind you, I hope that the day ye do win a Connacht title is far, far away, at least where it would be against Mayo....

• Advertisement

Hodson Bay Hotel Group Senior Football Championship

Group A:
    Clann na nGael v Kilmore - Saturday 14th, 8pm, Johnstown.
    Roscommon Gaels v Castlerea St. Kevins - Saturday 14th, 8pm, Hyde Park.

Group B:
    Elphin v Boyle - Friday 13th, 8pm, Croghan.
    St. Brigids v Padraig Pearses - Saturday 14th, 6:30pm, Johnstown.

Group C:
    Western Gaels v St. Aidans - Sunday 15th, 1:30pm, Frenchpark.
    Strokestown v St. Faithleachs - Sunday 15th, 6:45pm, Strokestown.

Hodson Bay Hotel Group Intermediate Football Championship

Group A:
    Eire Óg v St. Dominics - Saturday 14th, 7:30pm, Loughlynn.
    St. Michaels v Clann na nGael B - Sunday, 1:30pm, Ardcarne Park.

Group B:
    St. Barry's v St. Ronans - Saturday 14th, 7:30pm, Tarmonbarry.
    Tulsk Lord Edwards v St. Croans - Sunday 15th, 5pm, Tulsk.

Group C:
    Fuerty v Oran - Saturday 14th, 6:30pm, Hyde Park.
    Kilbride v Kilglass Gaels - Sunday 15th, 5:15pm, Strokestown.

Advertisement