Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #22 - Motley Crue

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Malice wrote: »
    Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?

I'm not sure that Rap Metal should ever be considered a musical genre. There are a lot of genre's within genre's but certainly the idea of mixing Rap lyrics with Metal music doesn't do it for me. I would like to say that, yes, I am a fan of Kid Rock - but I love his Country material and his singing voice, as well as his stage presence and his choice of guitarists...I never liked his Rap material
    What was your favourite gig this year?

I've not seen that many gigs this year as luck would have it but I enjoyed seeing Richard Cheese at Sonisphere last month. That was a real treat because he doesn't tour outside of America really and he was someone I'd wanted to see for a number of years now.
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?

A few, yes, I'm hoping (if all goes well and I can find the time) to see Iced Earth in November in Birmingham. Closer to base I'd like to see The Darkness again in November, Gama Bomb in September, maybe Puddle of Mudd in October, Mr Big and a few others before the year is out - oh and a Swedish band I love that I missed in March called Crash Diet.

Provided I have the petrol money I am also planning on doing some interviewing at Bloodstock this year (this week!), on the Saturday, and hoping to catch Rhapsody Of Fire's set that evening too.
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?

I don't keep up with it as much as I'd like but I do think Darkest Era and Gama Bomb are too bands that I would make sure to keep an eye on. They are already making good progress.

I interviewed The Answer at Sonisphere and they seem to be going from strength to strength which is great. Also Alestorm, I know they're technically Scottish, but two of their current members are from Ireland so they are indeed half Irish!
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?

That's a good one. I have my own Top 4 - Queen, Metallica, Guns N' Roses and Motley Crue - I'm going to have to side with Freddie Mercury and Brian May on this one and say Queen
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?

My favourite aspect is the passion that the fan's show in their chosen bands and the loyalty and respect that a lot of Metal bands truly have for their art and their fans. I meet a lot of musicians and some are treating their "job" just like that, whereas there are a lot of genuine musicians out there who truly respect and love their fans more then they will ever know. Quite frankly, music fans put musicians where they are, and it's humbling when even people who've been in the business for 20 years still recognize that and remain thankful for it everyday. And I don't mean an act for the camera's, I mean they truly respect and cherish the position they're in.

My least favourite aspect is that sometimes things can be introduced into shows that make those outside the movement think Metal fans are nothing more than violent racists. There have been issues recently with Gama Bomb and some pretty strong reactions at their shows, Toxic Holocaust have been banned for playing venues in the Mid West USA and, of course, Pantera have traditionally had some kind of trademark in the US as a white power band in certain circles...that kind of thing annoys me because it plays on people's fears and it makes people believe all metal music should be ignored.
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

Where do I start. I sometimes look at my IPod and wonder should I go back to 1988 because a lot of this "new age" bands just don't cut it for me. One band I met, nice blokes, but I just couldn't understand their popularity - was Black Veil Brides. That band is ripping off Motley Crue, and not just in music style, but they actually dress and look like Motley Crue - and they have 16yr old screaming fans and keep getting called the future of the Metal Industry.

I see very few young, up and coming, bands that I like and that's either because I'm looking in the wrong places or not trying enough - but it's also because the press focuses on these few bands and makes them seem like the only hope....bands like Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, All Time Low...I can't stand any of them and just want bands like Municipal Waste getting the tours they deserve

Foreign-language metal. Thumb up or thumb down?

Foreign-language metal. Thumb up or thumb down?

Certainly thumbs up, I love Mike Patton's recent Italian album and one of my favourite bands, Rhapsody Of Fire, regularly records in Italian to great effect.

Russian is also an unusual language to shout and scream in, but I think sometimes it fits....

I'd love to hear some Heavy Metal Gaelic, but I don't know of any off the top of my head sadly, just some scattered Pop covers done in Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I can't stand any of them and just want bands like Municipal Waste getting the tours they deserve

What did you think of the last Municipal waste album?

I read an interview in which they explained why they didn't want to write about beer and partying and nonsense so much anymore and wanted to write about what their influences (Exodus, Nucleur Assault etc.) wrote about. And I was totally in agreeance, until I heard the album.

Should they revert?

• Advertisement

Should they revert?

Yes, I like the last Municipal Waste album, and think it's a really strong album. I think there is only so much writing you can do about partying and drinking before people stop taking you seriously. Their last effort was, for me, a strong album and I really enjoyed the old school Thrash influence present.

Having said that, my favourite Municipal Waste release will probably always be their hilarious Tango & Thrash: A Kurt Russell Tribute EP

I'd love to hear some Heavy Metal Gaelic, but I don't know of any off the top of my head sadly

Cruachan were an obvious response as they have a couple of songs as Gaeilge:

Cruachan - Oró Sé do Bheatha 'Bhaile

Cruachan - Téir Abhaile Riú

everything Cobain embodies is something I dislike
    Could you elaborate on this?

Could you elaborate on this?

Sure, you see, I had a lot of friends in Secondary School who were into Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's music - one in particular considered himself a huge fan, went to great lengths to hear everything the band had recorded, track down Vinyl and rare pressings and had a few bootleg tapes/videos of the group performing before the more commercial releases came out recently.

While there is a lot of positivity about what Cobain wrote, a lot of it was about despair and frustration with the world, and this idea of not being able to find yourself. This is something that a lot of people associate with, especially during their teenage years, and as a result Cobain has become this sort of martyr for a lot of people feeling like "rebelling" striking out against their parents, authority, education or whatever else you like

Now, from what I've read and people I've spoken too about this, Cobain was a very quiet and personal person - but someone who was fraught with the guilt and weight of his genius, and took his own life under a number of suspected combinations of guilt, pressures of fame, internal struggle,despair and the fact he was obviously under the influence of substance abuse....I feel personally very sorry for anyone who feels the only way out is suicide, but in the years since Cobain's death, I've heard people describe his suicide as a powerful message...and in my opinion, suicide is not powerful, it's evil (and so is anything that glamorizes it)

I'm clever enough to know that there isn't a shred of humanity left in those who re-release material celebrating Cobain as an icon, a depressed and unhappy man always pictured in a frown, when Nirvana's music meant a lot more things to a lot more people. Sadly Cobain's new image has made me just hate him even more, I was never personally into Nirvana as I didn't like their music, but the depression and downer associated with it by those I knew who listened to it (screaming at the top of their lungs because they'd rather be taking their anger out on their parents) made me think this was not the music for a happier person then me. Sure, I had frustrations during my formative years, we all do - but I listened to loud, heavy, fun, fast and energetic music

In his suicide note Kurt Cobain actually apologises to his wife for not being like Freddie Mercury, the kind of person who revelled in the adoration of the crowd and fed off it, instead he personally felt constricted by his fame and that he was being used and abused. In that sense I think I'm just someone who is more the outgoing Freddie Mercury, spandex wearing (well I wouldn't but in spirit) long hair metal type music fan then the unwashed jeans, flannel shirt and big boots kind....and Cobain, as this poster child, doesn't get much sympathy from me....I hope he RIPs and I respect those who love his music, but I just can't stand more what he is associated with then actually hating the man himself.

Over 1,000 views and only a handful of questions, keep em coming.....:D

What's the most embarassing album that you own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

If you could join any current band, which would it be?

What's the most embarassing album that you own?

That'd have to be Silver Side Up by Nickelback. I consider that embarrassing because it's the one album I have that always ends up in those £3 pink stickered sales in HMV, an album they just keep making copies of from a band who people have "mixed feelings" on. For me, Nickelback are fine in small doses, although more their earlier albums (I also have Curb and The State) and because the very first radio show I ever did, when I was about 15, featured a playlist that comprised of Too Bad/I] by Nickelback...

If you could join any current band, which would it be?

Umm....good question, maybe someone like The Darkness, because they're able to just out go and have a bit of a laugh - and mostly when people take the piss out of them they just don't care. I think also they have some really fun songs and everyone who attends their concerts is usually there to have a good time and sing along, or just jump around, so I'd say that would be the most fun band to be in - or Bon Jovi or something, because of the massive stadium tours they do (did) in the US...those kinds of bands you'd had a lot of fun.

Of course, since I'm the new lead singer for Velvet Revolver, I can't join anyone else at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Do you own a copy of Mr. Bad Guy? :rolleyes:
    What's your view on the latest Queen remasters and the bonus tracks they've included - a welcome addition to the catalogue (on the basis that anything from the vaults is to be applauded), or a Lost Opportunity?
    What is your favourite music documentary?
    Have you ever walked out of a gig?
    What's the most you've ever paid for a concert ticket?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Do you own a copy of Mr. Bad Guy? :rolleyes:

Let's go chasing rainbows in the sky.....erm, yes, I do actually lol

I like Freddie's solo material, a lot 80s keyboard and synth and a lot of different styles and sounds, but not a million miles away from Queen albums like The Game and Hot Space
    What's your view on the latest Queen remasters and the bonus tracks they've included - a welcome addition to the catalogue (on the basis that anything from the vaults is to be applauded), or a Lost Opportunity?

A bit of a lost opportunity, unless you're an audio perfectionist those albums didn't need to be remastered - this was only done so that Island could make some money from their recent acquisition of the rights to them....in terms of the bonus tracks, they wasted something there, because I would imagine there has to be something unreleased that they could have included as well (unheard songs, basic riffs and jamming sessions, that kind of thing)
    What is your favourite music documentary?

I do love a documentary about Queen called Made In Heaven, and the one on BBC2 earlier this year was very good, but SOme Kind Of Monster is just great because it's hilarious. Oh, and A Year and a Half In The Life Of.... is also an excellent documentary

Can I include 'This Is Spinal Tap':rolleyes:
    Have you ever walked out of a gig?

Yes, I'm not proud of it, but I got tickets to review a Megadeth gig in Glasgow when they were supporting Judas Priest. I had to leave after Megadeth finished (and miss Priest) because I needed to get back to Edinburgh sharpish. I did see Testament though who opened that night and they were excellent.

I got stuck in a concert once, I got trapped in a tent during a set by Cancer Bats at a festival, tent was so packed I knew everyone was staying for the next act and so I had to grin and bear it...I didn't like them much....
    What's the most you've ever paid for a concert ticket?

I don't tend to pay for them, gigs I go to I get free tickets, and sometimes I pay the odd few quid for a concert that doesn't really exceed £20....but I did do security once, at a concert by Luciano Pavarotti shortly before he died (he played the Point in Dublin) and I saw the entire thing from my station...I believe ticket prices, face value, to that were astronomical and he was only singing for about 40 minutes max

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

on the subject of nickelback, what is it about them you find most frustrating?

for me it's some of the lyrics, cringeworthy ****e some of it, but the riffs are good.

favourite concert venue?

on the subject of nickelback, what is it about them you find most frustrating?

I think, in line with yourself, the general song writing has taken a back seat in many regards - because I do enjoy their earlier sound a lot more than I enjoy their more modern titles...I've heard some good songs the last few years, but the last one I really really enjoyed, was 'Someday'
    favourite concert venue?

I was only there once myself, but the Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto is incredible, and is an extremely vast and just generally acoustically fantastic place to see big name rock artists - I saw Kid Rock there in 2004 and he was absolutely fantastic

Any more questions there folks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I got stuck in a concert once, I got trapped in a tent during a set by Cancer Bats at a festival, tent was so packed I knew everyone was staying for the next act and so I had to grin and bear it...I didn't like them much....

Why not? Sorry i'm a huge Cancer bats fan.

Do you have any R/M related Tatoos?

Why not? Sorry i'm a huge Cancer bats fan.

I just didn't like them, found their music stupid being honest, and the acoustics in that tent didn't help I guess....
    Do you have any R/M related Tatoos?

I'm afraid not, maybe in the future

• Advertisement

Another call for any more questions. Please get them in otherwise I'll move on to the next person on the list tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

What's the funniest thing you heard at a gig?

What's the funniest thing you heard at a gig?

Funny ha ha or "funny, I can't believe he just said that"

The former would probably be Justin Hawkins singing with his band Hot Leg in Edinburgh, not because he wasn't good, but because he did Tina Turner and Huey Lewis covers that night....that was pretty funny to hear...

The latter would probably belong to Machine Head, who played Farewell To Arms in Dublin in 2007 and said they were pleased to play this song here tonight exclusively in the United Kingdom. That didn't go down very well. Actually, I think that video is on YouTube

Robb makes a lot of mistakes when it comes to Ireland, in 2003 when he performed at the Ambassador he kept telling the audience he loved drinking their Guinness Beer...Guinness of course being a Stout....

OH NO...WAIT...I JUST REALISED...YES, I HEARD FAITH NO MORE PERFORM THE EASTENDERS THEME TUNE...THAT WAS BRILLIANT...I saw that in Edinburgh in 2009 but this is the professional clip from Reading

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

The latter would probably belong to Machine Head, who played Farewell To Arms in Dublin in 2007 and said they were pleased to play this song here tonight exclusively in the United Kingdom. That didn't go down very well. Actually, I think that video is on YouTube

Haha, forgot about that!

Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to Motley Crue for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement