Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #23 - Blastman

Options
  • 23-08-2011 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Blastman.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Did you ever think that Motley Crue's turn was never gonna end??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

What's the best & worst gigs you've ever attended?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2010 or 2011?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Malice wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    This is going to sound daft, but when I was in second year of secondary school, one guy in particular had the AC/DC logo on his schoolbag with Back In Black written underneath it. For ages I thought it said Black In Black, but I became fascinated with trying to copy the logo and wondering what a band with a logo that cool sounded like. At the time I'd only been interested in music for about a year and it was still about the charts (plus a Gary Numan fixation!). I eventually persuaded my mum to buy me Powerage on cassette, and the rest is history.
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    By accident, really. Poking around through the forum menu one day and saw it, thought it might be worth a look. So far, so good. :)
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    Without getting soppy about, the posters. The laid-back attitude and the feeling that anyone is welcome. And the sexy mods, of course!
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    I play 5-a-side football a few nights a week, and try to prevent anything falling off my old Honda as much as possible. I have an interest in photography and gig photography which may be about to become expensive. I seem to spend quite a bit of time fixing PCs for people, too.
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Back In Black or possibly The Number Of The Beast. I was young and impressionable when they were released and they ruined my life, dammit!
    Where did your username come from?
    I used to work for Creative Labs back in the day when sound on a PC was an expensive extra. Soundblaster was a pretty cool name for a sound card, I thought. In retrospect (especially after being made redundant!), I could have chosen better.

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Did you ever think that Motley Crue's turn was never gonna end??
    Yes. And I was hoping it wouldn't cause I was next! :D

lord lucan wrote: »
    What's the best & worst gigs you've ever attended?

Best gig: Probably AC/DC in in Simmonscourt in 1982. It was the For Those About To Rock tour and my first gig, but they were (and still are) awesome live. Lynyrd Skynyrd in 2003 supporting Deep Purple was fantastic, too.

Worst gig: I'm lucky in that I don't think I've been to any real stinkers. Tool in the old Point was pretty dull, though, not that I was a huge fan.

Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out in 2010 or 2011?
    There have been a few albums lately that I thought were really good. I really liked Sensory Overdrive by Michael Monroe and Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea by Black Stone Cherry (a band I didn't take to in the beginning at all), so it's a toss-up between those two, I'd say.
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    Metallica. We fell out big time in the days of the original Napster, and there's no chance of a reconciliation.
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Bargain Alerts (although I don't post there much as there's always someone quicker than me at finding bargains), Gigs & Events, Motors, Photography, some of the Tech forums and North Co Dublin.
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    I'm an old rocker at heart, although what is considered rock now was the heavy metal of that time. I'm not too bothered about sub-genres, if I like something it doesn't really matter to me what label people want to put on it.
    If I did, I wouldn't have amassed the complete recorded works of Survivor!
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?
    Sticking to the still-living, it would be Brian Johnson, Alice Cooper, Steve Harris, Roger Waters (now that he seems to have lightened up a bit) and Cronos. I don't know if having two Geordies in the group is a good idea, but at least the Coop would be a sobering influence if things got out of hand (!)
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?
    It would be a weird mix, that's for sure! AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Marillion, Survivor, Venom, Jason & The Scorchers and Stiff Little Fingers. I'd probably be the only one there for the whole day!
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    Slayer, no question. Especially since my previously-mentioned split from Metallica.
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?
    I was a bit underwhelmed by The Final Frontier, if I'm honest, mainly because it dragged on a bit too long. You could have cut twenty minutes out of it and made a much better album. Having said that, the recent Belfast gig was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Do you play an instrument?
    and if not what instrument would you love to be able to play?

What band would you love to go on tour with?

Do you play an instrument?
    and if not what instrument would you love to be able to play?
    I don't play, although I did pass Grade 1 violin when I was at school, much to my surprise and my music teacher's downright amazement. I couldn't see a future in heavy metal though, orchestral/symphonic metal was a long way off on the horizon at that stage.

I fancied being a bassist for a while, but it didn't come to anything.
    What band would you love to go on tour with?
    Nashville Pussy. I've met Karen Cuda so I'm almost family anyway... :p

• Advertisement

What's your top 5 rock/metal albums?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Any albums by well known bands you feel are underrated?

What's your top 5 rock/metal albums?

Do you mean top 5 rock and top 5 metal, or just my top 5 albums? :D Because I'm not that bothered about genres, I'll do a top ten of albums I like or were important to me:

Powerage - AC/DC (My first AC/DC album, one I didn't get into intially as I preferred Back In Black which I got shortly afterwards, but it has since become probably my favourite album by my favourite band)

Piece Of Mind - Iron Maiden (Again, The Number Of The Beast blew me away when I heard it first, but this album is probably my favourite. Still Life is Maiden's most underrated track, IMO)

Black Metal - Venom (Something completely different when it came out, I got quite a few weird looks when I asked the guy who ran the local record shop (remember them?) to order it for me! I still have that vinyl copy of it)

Ride The Lightning - Metallica (Picked this up in HMV Oxford St. when it came out, and like Black Metal, it was so different to what came before it and I was hooked. Dare I say I think it's a better album than Master Of Puppets?)

Script For A Jester's Tear - Marillion (I saw the video for Garden Party on The Tube and liked it, bought the album and was completely hooked).

The Wall - Pink Floyd (Again, I bought it on the strength of the hit single, but it took me a long time to really appreciate the album as a whole. It was also the worst cassette I ever owned, as the album was so long it would always wind itself the wrong way and I spent hours manually winding it with a pencil in order to be able to play it again!)

Reign In Blood - Slayer (Their finest moment and the heaviest sound I'd ever heard in my life).

Welcome To My Nightmare - Alice Cooper (First saw him perform the title track on The Muppet Show, another of those life-changing moments)

Play More Music - Consolidated (The follow-up, Business Of Punishment, is almost as good, but I'd plump for this as the album that made me notice them. Criminally ignored, and later albums petered out into weird avant-garde noises, but this is where it all came together).

Reise, Reise - Rammstein (Took me long enough to realise how good they are, this was the album that did it).

blastman wrote: »
    I used to work for Creative Labs back in the day when sound on a PC was an expensive extra. Soundblaster was a pretty cool name for a sound card, I thought. In retrospect (especially after being made redundant!), I could have chosen better.
    Assuming you've kept up with it, how does the current PC gaming scene compare to that of nineties?
    Which Soundblaster card was your favourite?

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

Do you get sick of the "503 - Service Unavailable" errors that are plaguing Boards at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

If you could be a fly on the studio wall foe an album, what would it be?

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Any albums by well known bands you feel are underrated?

Marbles by Marillion is an album that should have launched them back up a division or two, but didn't really despite generally good reviews. It's not metal by a long stretch, but with the re-invigoration that prog has had in recent years, it's a shame it didn't find a bigger audience.

Assuming you've kept up with it, how does the current PC gaming scene compare to that of nineties?
    I think there's less genuine innovation and fewer games that make you go "wow!". People tend to remember the first time they saw Quake or even Doom, but we're pretty much still playing those games today, allbeit with nicer graphics as each generation of hardware comes along. I guess all the great ideas have been used at this stage. Maybe it's just me getting older, though...
    Which Soundblaster card was your favourite?
    The AWE32 was a huge leap forward at the time (as well as being bloomin' enormous!), but I'd say the X-Fi is still the best card overall. I really miss mine since my PCI bus died and I had to go back to on-board audio!
    Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Not really Rock & Metal, but I did meet Suzanne Vega briefly at her last gig in Dublin. I also met Jason and Warner from Jason & The Scorchers which was a big deal for me. I'm not Motley Crue or scudzilla, though, haven't met any of the really big stars.
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Large Oilrig, surely there's no need to explain why! :D
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    In my younger days, Lee Aaron, especially when she did that centerfold for Kerrang! (not naked, but I was at an age where I was easily excited!). Nowadays, it's great to see more wimmin in metal bands and at metal shows. Now, I'll just remove my PC hat and say that Simone Simons is a bit of alright, isn't she?!
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?
    The album cover that really got my attention was AC/DC's If You Want Blood... You didn't see that sort of thing on the cover of Country&Irish records as a rule! I always liked covers like Derek Riggs' stuff for Maiden and Hipgnosis.
    Do you get sick of the "503 - Service Unavailable" errors that are plaguing Boards at the moment?
    Yes, but not as sick as I am of people asking me if they should trust the Indian guy from "Microsoft" telling them their computer is broken!

blastman wrote: »
    Simone Simons is a bit of alright, isn't she?

True dat!

If you could be a fly on the studio wall foe an album, what would it be?

I read the article recently in Classic Rock magazine about the recording of Led Zeppelin 4, which made me think it would have been interesting to be at the recording of that or a similarly milestone album. Would it be apparent to you at that stage that this was going to be a monster record?

Failing that, maybe St. Anger, just to be able to say "Lads, seriously..?" :D

Quake or Duke Nukem 3D?

• Advertisement

Quake or Duke Nukem 3D?

Oooh, tough one! I played far more Quake, but Duke Nukem was just such a blast (sic). I'd probably take Quake for the longevity, soundtrack (thank you, Mr. Reznor) and in OpenGL mode, the graphics (at the time I used to test graphics cards, what a terrible job!!) but it would be hard to leave either one behind.

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?
    What was your favourite gig this year?
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Do you like any tribute bands in particular, find they're better than the original?

As a dedicated PC gamer, what do you think of the games Beneath A Steel Sky and Monkey Island, two of the first games I ever remember playing on PC I'd be interested to know if you played them and what you taught/think?

What are your feelings (if any) on the new Metallica/Lou Reed album?

Any sub-genre within metal that you just cannot stand?

As I said, I don't really pay much attention to genres and sub-genres. However, bands that use Cookie Monster vocals wouldn't be high on my list of things to listen to. I like the music, but I'd like to be able to hear the lyrics too. I don't see the point if you're going to completely obliterate them.
    Malice wrote:
    What was your favourite gig this year?

It's been a bumper year, in my opinion, so it's hard to pick one. Rush were great at the Point, Iron Maiden in the Odyssey was another good one. For sheer spectacle, though, probably Roger Waters' second night in the Point, for three reasons. The sound was much better than the first night, I had a much better viewpoint and I love The Wall as an album.
    Malice wrote:
    Any upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?

A few, although I still have to pick up tickets for most of them! Rammstein next February should be awesome, (that's one I have a ticket for!). Also looking forward to Black Stone Cherry in Whelans, Volbeat/Black Spiders in the Academy and of course, Manowar!
    Malice wrote:
    Do you keep up to date with the Irish rock/metal scene and, if so, any bands we should watch out for?

I have to confess that I don't, quite an oversight on my part. I always had the impression there wasn't a strong metal scene in Ireland and even though it improved over the years, at that stage I was off in other directions.
    Malice wrote:
    Could you name your all-time favourite band?

AC/DC. The band that opened the door to rock and metal for and still my favourite band. Seeing them live in Sydney and Melbourne last year was a real highlight for me.
    Malice wrote:
    What is your favourite aspect of the rock/metal scene and, conversely, what is your least favourite?

I like the fact that the scene is very open, and that anyone who likes the music, or even just certain aspects of the music is accepted as a part of it. There is a feeling of being part of a group/scene/collective/whatever, even though the age and image differences can be huge as the rock and metal scene has stuck around for so long. Conversly, there can be a small (in my opinion, anyway) element who are very precious about certain bands or genres. I've no time for any of that. Live free or die, as they say in that well-known metal stronghold, New Hampshire!
    Malice wrote:
    Is there a rock/metal band out there with loads of fans that you just don't get?

Apart from wondering how Guns 'n' Roses have held on to so many fans despite Axl's best efforts to p!ss everybody off, not really. :) I understand that people like different things and there's some bands that I'll just never get. Each to their own, I guess.

Do you like any tribute bands in particular, find they're better than the original?

I like Metallitia, but I am a bit biased as I know one of the guys reasonably well. Plus they're as close as I'm going to get to seeing Metallica live again. :) I hear that Ireland Maiden lot aren't bad either!
    As a dedicated PC gamer, what do you think of the games Beneath A Steel Sky and Monkey Island, two of the first games I ever remember playing on PC I'd be interested to know if you played them and what you taught/think?

I think Creative actually bundled Under A Steel Sky with one of their early multimedia kits, but it's not a game I played much, to be honest. I did like Monkey Island though, along with some of the later Lucasarts adventures. I think Monkey Island only supported Adlib music, there was no digital sound until the second game in the series. I loved Sam & Max Hit The Road and Grim Fandango, great games!
    What are your feelings (if any) on the new Metallica/Lou Reed album?

Curiosity, mainly. It's not an immediately obvious partnership so it's hard to predict what will come out of it. New York by Lou Reed is one of my favourite albums, though, and Magic & Loss wasn't far behind so yeah, I'l definitely be interested in hearing the outcome of this.

Any more questions there folks?

Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to blastman for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement