Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech and language therapy UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hartmad

I would take it, because even if you're starting the program in Autumn, it will look good on the CV to have an upgrade to the current role! :)

But I know what you mean in terms of letting your employer know and also letting them down then in only a few months time is not great.

Good luck

Cool, thanks Emily for checking!
    What were your results in the HPAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EmilyO

I got a 64 percentile and 62 in the english part!

That's a very good result in both categories, fair play. Fingers crossed for everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Haz14

EmilyO wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I emailed the postgraduate office and they said they were going through hpat results and the offers would be in early to mid May

Hey everyone! Thanks a mill for letting us know Emily :) Suppose all we can do now is try and put it to the back of our minds until May comes around! Best of luck everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Meggalon

Corkgal_____89 - I went for the University of Essex. I also applied to several others in the UK and am waiting to hear back from 4 more.
    You usually need an upper 2:1 undergrad in some sort of related field (psychology, linguistics, languages, teaching...etc) . I did languages. I have also been working as an ESL teacher for the past 3 years - in Ireland, S. Korea and online.
    I'm not sure how they decide who gets a place - I guess the above, why you want to work as an SLT and your personality?
    Check out their websites all the info is there.

Yeah it's for the Masters too! not fully funded but 5000 per year which takes a nice chunk off :)

Haz14 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Thanks a mill for letting us know Emily :) Suppose all we can do now is try and put it to the back of our minds until May comes around! Best of luck everyone!

Yes, that's true. Can I ask what you did get in your results? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MissLatchIt

I would firstly like to congratulate you all on completing the Hpat this year. I tried my best with the Hpat but it was not for me I went with Med Entry but the stress and work load of Hpat was far too much.

I also agree with many of your opinions its quite wrong how UL is the only university that chooses their students by means of a Hpat score, I graduated last year with a first class hons in B.Ed and had significant experience.

Luckily, I have applied to the UK instead and hold an offer to study there instead.

I wish you all the best of luck with offers and fair play for tacking the Hpat this year haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 0611

Just to add, I emailed asking when they'd tell us about OT offers and the reply was "Decisions will approximately be conveyed around late may"! So either it's later than SLT or they just don't know themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 RossMeath

Hey guys- i've decided not to pursue the OT course. I was only 41st percentile so unlikely of an offer anyway, but thankfully i've gotten a great opportunity within an area i'm really interested in with great prospects and money- so i'm taking my hat out of the ring! Going to focus on saving, getting a mortgage and might pursue a PhD in a few years time in Disability Studies. I hope ye all get an offer, and look if I get one- there'll be one more person given a place that really wants it! Bet of luck :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 corkgal_89

RossMeath wrote: »
    Hey guys- i've decided not to pursue the OT course. I was only 41st percentile so unlikely of an offer anyway, but thankfully i've gotten a great opportunity within an area i'm really interested in with great prospects and money- so i'm taking my hat out of the ring! Going to focus on saving, getting a mortgage and might pursue a PhD in a few years time in Disability Studies. I hope ye all get an offer, and look if I get one- there'll be one more person given a place that really wants it! Bet of luck :D

RossMeath, congrats on the great job offer! Hope it all goes well for you :D Saving... there's something I won't be able to do for a while!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ahen7

Does anyone else feel a bit sick every morning when they check their emails? 😂 I've applied for SLT and the wait is painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dara12345

Painful! I thought it may have been last Friday but alas no!

yes, the wait is terrible. Nothing before the week after next to be expected though I'd say. From what people found out in emailing UL, they said Early-mid May (or Mid to late may).:mad::(

Hello there, I received an offer today via email, for the OT course :) I wish everybody on here the same and am happy about it, but can't quite feel it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ellaraunt

hartmad wrote: »
    Hello there, I received an offer today via email, for the OT course :) I wish everybody on here the same and am happy about it, but can't quite feel it yet

Congrats! That’s great news. I’ve applied for SLT and haven’t heard anything yet. Did they also update your portal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mashspuds765

hartmad wrote: »

Congratulations Hartmad! I got an offer for OT as well, big shock to the system wasn’t expecting to hear back this soon!

Ellaraunt wrote: »
    Congrats! That’s great news. I’ve applied for SLT and haven’t heard anything yet. Did they also update your portal?

Hi Ellaraunt, it was just an email we received with the offer but my portal still hasn’t updated. I applied for slt too I haven’t heard anything either

Hi Ellaraunt, it was just an email we received with the offer but my portal still hasn’t updated. I applied for slt too I haven’t heard anything either

Thanks a mil, Mashspuds. That’s helpful to know. Congrats on your OT offer! Fingers crossed SLT offers come soon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cait5274

Hi I got an offer there for SLT (went into my junk!) Was just wondering what’s the best way for finance for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 em98

Cait5274 wrote: »
    Hi I got an offer there for SLT (went into my junk!) Was just wondering what’s the best way for finance for it?
    Hey has anyone not heard back from UL?

em98 wrote: »
    Hey has anyone not heard back from UL?

Hi, I just heard today from UL that I was offered for SLT. Hope it works out for everyone else as well!

Hi all, for anyone that’s going ahead with OT the Facebook group is Msc Occupational Therapy UL 2020-2022

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EmilyO

Has anyone set up a fb group for SLT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Haz14

EmilyO wrote: »
    Has anyone set up a fb group for SLT?

Hey! I actually set up a group there- I'm not sure if someone else has already, so apologies if it's already been done! The group is UL Msc Speech and Language Therapy 2020-2022 and it'll be Hazel Larkin as the admin, so if you see those two together you're onto a winner! :)

Hello Mashspuds,
    I cannot find that group on facebook!
    Could you forward me a link maybe?
    Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GreenPantsPls

Hi lads,

Is anyone planning to apply for next years OT programme?

I'm already nervous about the HPAT especially the written component as English writing is definitely not a strong suit of mine at all.. I was planning on applying to a couple UK universities too but with Brexit uncertainty I'm concerned that Irish students may have to pay huge non-EU fees so am now undecided.

Hopefully this thread gets semi-active again this year as there was some good info posted over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Wheretonext

Hi GreenPantsPls. I'm also aiming for the 2021 intake for OT! Working through HPAT at the moment and it will definitely be a struggle. The essay section is what I am dreading the most as essay writing is not my strong point and the added time pressure will be stressful.
    I wonder what the cut off was for the 2020 intake? If anyone that has successfully made it into the course sees this it would be great to hear your input on the HPAT and how to strengthen the essay section. I am also hoping this exam goes ahead in person as its hard doing the practice exams online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pink12321

For anyone wondering, the cut-off for the 2020 intake for OT was around 50th percentile. Hoping 🀞ðŸ¼

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Wheretonext

Thanks @pink12321. Good luck in the exam this weekend. I'm sitting it on Sunday morning, wish I went for tomorrow now as I have peaked with study and cant face it anymore.

Advertisement