Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech and language therapy UL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 RossMeath

Dara12345 wrote: »
    Many thanks. I applied for UL MSc S&LT. no results at all. Worried now!

I must admit I would be slightly worried too- where did you sit the exam? Maybe see if you can get in touch with anyone from ACER. The results should be released to everyone.

Let us know if you get it sorted, will keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dara12345

Thanks for your reply. I rang UL yesterday. No one on campus. Completely locked down. I doubt the application portal will be updated until the graduate admissions office returns.

I got my results of the HPAT. Dreadful. I fear I have no hope. 39th percentile. Section 1 let me down.

I got my results of the HPAT. Dreadful. I fear I have no hope. 39th percentile. Section 1 let me down.

So glad you finally got them- did the explain why there was the delay? I'm right there with you though. I got 41st percentile and the section 1 dropped me down so much too. Guess all we can do is wait and see what happens. You never know ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mashspuds765

Hi everyone, did the hpat myself this year and hoping to do either speech therapy or OT. Dara thank goodness you got your results it must have been daunting waiting to hear back. Don’t feel disappointed by the results yet I think everyone is feeling the same way. We won’t know properly until ul get in contact with us, and honestly the wait is just the longest. Hopefully we will hear back soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 hartmad

Hey everybody,
    yes the waiting is difficult...I really don't know if we can expect anything soon because of the COVID-19 shift of the administration to home working, I can imagine there will be delays nonetheless...

Mashspuds765, what were your results like? It's really hard to estimate how they seem to pick, considering the last years

So long

Ya I think you’re right Hartmad, we will be waiting a while to hear back especially because of the pandemic. I was in the 61st percentile and got 46 in English. Very hard to know because I did the hpat last year and did very badly. I was waiting about 3 or 4 weeks last year to hear back from ul to hear I didn’t get an offer.

Ya I think you’re right Hartmad, we will be waiting a while to hear back especially because of the pandemic. I was in the 61st percentile and got 46 in English. Very hard to know because I did the hpat last year and did very badly. I was waiting about 3 or 4 weeks last year to hear back from ul to hear I didn’t get an offer.

Do you mind me asking what percentile you got last year? Just trying to work out if I have a chance this year. Did they just get in contact last year to say there would be no offer?

RossMeath wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what percentile you got last year? Just trying to work out if I have a chance this year. Did they just get in contact last year to say there would be no offer?

I was in the 23rd percentile last year so I had a feeling from that I wasn’t going to get an offer. I honestly think it’s hard to know what way the offers will go because it all depends on the hpat. I got a letter in the post sometime at the end of April or early May. This year could be very different though.

I was in the 23rd percentile last year so I had a feeling from that I wasn’t going to get an offer. I honestly think it’s hard to know what way the offers will go because it all depends on the hpat. I got a letter in the post sometime at the end of April or early May. This year could be very different though.

Fingers crossed for you this year. You went way up in your HPAT any tips?? I've a feeling I'll be resitting next year got 41st percentile so don't think it'll be enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 corkgal_89

I know I’m completely getting ahead of myself here but would be interesting to know also if the course will be starting in September as usual.. you never know.. might be pushed out due to everything that’s going on at the moment!!

Thanks a million, to be honest I’m worried about the English part and honestly don’t know how it’s measured against the hpat. I went with careers services the first time I did the hpat but I did it with m entry this year but maybe I needed the two years to bring up my marks and get more practice in because I found both courses good. I honestly think it’s too early to say, I wouldn’t lose hope yet, and it depends on how everyone else did in the hpat. Was it your first time doing the hpat Rossmeath?

corkgal_89 wrote: »
    I know I’m completely getting ahead of myself here but would be interesting to know also if the course will be starting in September as usual.. you never know.. might be pushed out due to everything that’s going on at the moment!!

It could easily be pushed out, especially if people are only getting to do their leaving cert in July/August and not to mention the hospitals and health centres would have to be back to normal because we will have placement at some stage during the course. How did the hpat go for you corkgal_89?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Meggalon

Nice to see some people talking on this thread again.
    I got 128 in HPAT. Section 1 killed me but I did pretty well in the other 2 and 55 in writing which I was surprised by.
    Unfortunately I don't think I'll get into SLT. I was pretty down about it the other day but then I received an offer from the University of Essex! Anyone else heading to the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cait5274

Hi Meggalon,
    I got an offer for Manchester a couple of days ago but think I’d still prefer UL, just such a wait for the decision. Do you have to accept your offer by a certain date do you know?

Hello Meggalon,
    congratulations on Essex acceptance! That's great. If you get a job in the NHS afterwards you can learn a lot, I was told by a practicing OT here in Ireland that she learned a huge deal over there, which is quite valuable to her now.

The points system in the HPAT is a bit strange ... I feel like the differences in section one and two make up a huge amount, due to them being doubled, but then it is mainly a filtering instrument I guess, so that's sad enough in its own right.

I only applied to UL, but I saw that in Wales they are introducing a funding scheme by the NHS which pays for the course (that is OT, not sure about SLT) and then you'd have to work in Wales for 2 years after graduating. Seems great but I am hoping to be able to do the course in Ireland if possible. Though I don't know if I feel like redoing the HPAT - fair play to everyone who did that...! It was just so...stressful and expensive too.

Anyhow, the waiting is very annoying

Hi all. Has anyone logged onto the portal for UL? si.ul.ie? In the past, you could see the course you’ve applied for with your status but this option seems to have disappeared...for me anyway! Has this happened to anyone else?

Hi all. Has anyone logged onto the portal for UL? si.ul.ie? In the past, you could see the course you’ve applied for with your status but this option seems to have disappeared...for me anyway! Has this happened to anyone else?

Heya I never had this on mine so not sure what the story is!

Thanks everyone :)
    I hope you all get what you want to!

I just really wanted to do SLT and am happy it's working out.

That sounds great hartmad! I had a look and yes the NHS are funding SLT (over the moon)

I think it's so interesting that UL are the only university who use the HPAT as a means for deciding who gets in.......

oh and Cait5274 Congratulations to you too!
    I have to decide by May 22nd. But I think I'll go for it regardless

• Advertisement

RossMeath wrote: »
    Heya I never had this on mine so not sure what the story is!

Hi RossMeath. When you log in, can you see the details of what you applied for? Many thanks! In the past you could see the course, year, status etc. That seems to not be available to view now.

Meggalon was this on the portal? Congratulations!

Hi RossMeath. When you log in, can you see the details of what you applied for? Many thanks! In the past you could see the course, year, status etc. That seems to not be available to view now.

yes I cannot access the portal anymore either.

Nope I can't but that never was on my portal so mine hasn't changed at all!

Meggalon wrote: »
    Thanks everyone :)
    I hope you all get what you want to!

I just really wanted to do SLT and am happy it's working out.

That sounds great hartmad! I had a look and yes the NHS are funding SLT (over the moon)

I think it's so interesting that UL are the only university who use the HPAT as a means for deciding who gets in.......

Congrats on your offer Meggalon, you must be delighted!

Can I just ask what the criteria is for the university you've got accepted to? Is the deciding factor what undergrad you've done / prior work experience etc or how do they decide who gets a place?

Also that's fantastic that it's NHS funded.. does that apply to the MSc conversion courses too? I thought it was just for the BSc courses but that's fantastic if it's for the master's too! Very pricey so would make such a difference if the fees were paid for!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EmilyO

Hey everyone! I emailed the postgraduate office and they said they were going through hpat results and the offers would be in early to mid May

EmilyO wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I emailed the postgraduate office and they said they were going through hpat results and the offers would be in early to mid May

Thanks so much for letting us know - that's great! Is it SLT or OT you're hoping for yourself, EmilyO?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EmilyO

SLT what about you corkgal_89?

EmilyO wrote: »
    SLT what about you corkgal_89?

OT! Presume the same time frame for UL sending out offers applies!

• Advertisement

That's great thanks for the update. I've just been offered a new job this morning that's a big step up from my current job, so now the question will be if I get an offer (unlikely) whether to take it or have to go through the entire process again next year :confused::confused:

Advertisement