Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Eiretrains wrote: »
    It wouldn't be Dingle by any chance JD?

Getting warm. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Is that a grain shed on the Fenit branch?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Getting warm. :D

Castlegregory then? :p

Castlegregory then? :p

There's no flies on you then! Yes, it was Castlegregory loco shed, still extant in 1978 and used to house the CIE school bus. On my last visit in the late 1980's the only thing left was the concrete base. Interestingly the station house was being used by an undertaker as were the Dingle and Tralee NG stations - quite appropriate given the moribund concern that the T&D was. :D

Another famous landmark?

COBH.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

locosmans mess hut on the T&D:D

corktina wrote: »
    locosmans mess hut on the T&D:D

You have it in one! Fitzgerald's Bar at Castlegregory Junction - again taken back in 1977 - and far better on the outside than in. Vastly expanded now and I doubt the ghosts of any old T&D men hang out there. Ashe's Pub & Restaurant at Upper Camp (a short distance away) has much more atmosphere and some railway memorabilia.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

i seen this beast in maynooth the other day ;)

What is it - some sort of new fangled weedspraying train? Where are the mess vans? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

What is it - some sort of new fangled weedspraying train? Where are the mess vans? :D

An MPV is its designation. They've had this for ages now but it never appeared on the network due to a weight to axle issue iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

its the new sandite train .only coast like 3 million :eek:

pad180 wrote: »
    its the new sandite train .only coast like 3 million :eek:

And the lads across the border are converting the 80 Class for said same duty!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

lord lucan wrote: »
    An MPV is its designation. They've had this for ages now but it never appeared on the network due to a weight to axle issue iirc.

This is correct.It was over in the yard in Portlaoise for ages parked down the back,along with part of the spray train if i remember well.Great to see it finally out and about!

You can never get enough of these mighty work horses. Location anybody? :D

G615%2B004.JPG

You can never get enough of these mighty work horses. Location anybody? :D

G615%2B004.JPG

Given that she retired to there, I'm guessing a Sugar factory, probably Carlow.

Given that she retired to there, I'm guessing a Sugar factory, probably Carlow.

You're correct but wrong factory - it was out the back of the Thurles factory in the mid 1980s. The cab still exists somewhere in Waterford/East Cork as far as I know.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqboUb_V0bjytAHq-aLRWUVDFC0h-1uY6jVOzytDpISY7fYzQzgrWj7hk7

You're correct but wrong factory - it was out the back of the Thurles factory in the mid 1980s. The cab still exists somewhere in Waterford/East Cork as far as I know.

The cab of a G Class would make a fine wee shed as it's roomy enough and solid.

I've a few snaps I should try and test you on one of the days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Took these during the summer. I completely forgot I had them. Both from Waterford city.

D6Gb1.jpg
    :(
    lnmKj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Has anybody else seen the DART with all over advertising (either that or some graffiti artists had a few days off school). Its passed me twice now while on another train. If anyone had pics it'd be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Jammyc wrote: »
    Has anybody else seen the DART with all over advertising (either that or some graffiti artists had a few days off school). Its passed me twice now while on another train. If anyone had pics it'd be cool.

There are some in this thread about it here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Not a pic of a train but of old railway signage. I came across this in the Ivy House Pub in Drumcondra of all places,out in the yard on the way to the smoking area. I can only assume the WD & LR is the Waterford,Dungarven and Lismore Railway.

IMAG0189.jpg

fake sign. They are all over with the same typeface but many different railways...Ive got a GSWR one unless someone nicked it from my gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

imag0105v.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

fake sign. They are all over with the same typeface but many different railways...Ive got a GSWR one unless someone nicked it from my gate.
    Fake or replica?

The W.D.& L.R sign may in fact be genuine as it is one of the few authentic gate signs that were quite plentiful right into the 1980s - along the course of the line - don't bother going for a look now though! :D

Missed this rather nice negative on eBay over the weekend - location anybody?

Loughrea%2BCabin.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

location anybody?
    Loughrea%2BCabin.JPG

It's Loughrea, one of the smaller type MGWR cabins provided at small branch line termini and stations.:cool:

CIE wrote: »
    Fake or replica?

fake. They are all exactly the same except for the company name.

fake. They are all exactly the same except for the company name.

Not true! Some are genuine and it's only when you can examine them close-up for wear and tear that you can be 100% sure. That said, they appear for all sorts of companies that never in their wildest dreams could have aspired to cast iron gate signs. I doubt that the Kanturk & Newmarket Light Railway ever had such signs but I'm sure that you could have one made if only you could pin down the source of all the replicas. :D

It's Loughrea, one of the smaller type MGWR cabins provided at small branch line termini and stations.:cool:

Just testing! As far as I can remember it was more of a ground frame than anything else, with the staff instruments being located in the station building. I never remember it as being more than a base with some rodding sticking out. WISRA (the predecessors of Westrail) were given its remains but did a half arsed job of removing them and I've no idea what happened to the parts that were salvaged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

lord lucan wrote: »
    Not a pic of a train but of old railway signage. I came across this in the Ivy House Pub in Drumcondra of all places,out in the yard on the way to the smoking area. I can only assume the WD & LR is the Waterford,Dungarven and Lismore Railway.

IMAG0189.jpg

JD is correct, WD&LR signs did exist, but this particular one is faketty-fake.
    The 'W', 'D' and 'L' are in a slightly thinner font than the '&' and 'R'.
    A GS&WR sign was taken as a pattern, a replica was cast, the unwanted letters were ground off, W, D and L were stuck on and a finished item was cast from this. Voila.
    There are always exceptions to the rule, but basically, if this type of 40 shillings sign has anything other than 'GS&WR' or 'GSR' as a heading it is definitely a fake.
    Also, there can't have been that many farmers crossing gates along the WD&LR to account for the vast numbers of WD&LR plates I've seen selling at car boots, on display in pubs etc.

Advertisement