Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trains being painted with ads

Options
  • 23-11-2011 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭

Just saw a Dart roll into Pearse that was completely painted in ads. Similar to how a few Dublin Buses used to be painted in ads. Every carriage had a different ad. It was very colourful anyway... I wonder if this is going to be rolled out to many trains. The only green left on the train was on the very front and back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It was done before with DART's where they carried AOA (All Over Ads) for a number of months. They do look the part IMO and are a useful extra few € for old rope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

I wonder why they ever stopped doing this. Make a lot of sense. Gets extra revenue and costs less to paint the trains. I would imagine the plastic decals as good protection against the weather.

Probably turn out some CIE manager also owns the company which supplies the train paint and he didn't want all over ads cutting into his profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭wile1000

I saw an Emirates one the other day. Was that what you saw, OP? Or is there more than one fully painted set knocking around? Adds a bit of colour to our day anyway, given that the days are getting shorter... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭d1975

With seen the dart with the AOA, I was thinking is it about time darts got new livery colours? they've used that kind when it was first launched?

even the inside could do with brighter colours, only reason they went green was the the DB was in two tone green back when the darts started

what's your views on it folks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They got new colours in 2000 or about that time as the 8200 units were delivered.

I'd like to see the red stripe back though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

d1975 wrote: »
    With seen the dart with the AOA, I was thinking is it about time darts got new livery colours? they've used that kind when it was first launched?
    New liveries cost money. The 8100-class got new paint when they were rebuilt, as noted. Paint doesn't make trains run better, or to new destinations. Some days I wish that the 8100-class were delivered in the old orange and black scheme, and that nobody had invented the "DART" acronym (in case anyone didn't remember, the 8100-class were delivered with the "broken wheel" logo and "DART" was an afterthought).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Gallery of photos of this train here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Probably turn out some CIE manager also owns the company which supplies the train paint and he didn't want all over ads cutting into his profits.
    Can you be a bit less inflammatory?

I do find it more than coincidental that AOAs have made a comeback now that John Lynch is gone from CIÉ. Then again, maybe it's a "recession thing."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I think you could be right with your former statement!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭crushproof

Wasn't there a Guinness DART and an Eircell one many moons ago?

Victor wrote: »
    Can you be a bit less inflammatory?

You are right, I was being a bit OTT. We all know that CIE managers have a reputation for ethics and professionalism second to none.

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Gallery of photos of this train here.

That's amazing. They look like completely different trains altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I think this is a brilliant idea. Imagine if each DART train had AOA, it would certainly make the fleet that bit more interesting and generate revenue to Irish Rail at the same time. There is a large variety of colour schemes on ground level trains in London. AOA DART adverts could be our answer to this.:D

Technically, they aren't painted on to each carriage. They are gigantic stickers. Usually, there is template for the different advertisements that are cut to the exact dimensions of a specific class of train carriage. From here it is just a matter of sticking them on. Given their large size, the people in charge of putting them on to the carriages have to be very meticulous so that they blend in with the shape of the carriage.;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the red ones are awful, but the rest look pretty good.

Bring back guinness DARTs:D

Was eircell the one that was striped, each carriage a different colour, blue/cyan, yellow, pinky red and something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Its one of the better liveries across the entire IE/BE/DB fleet IMO, I wish DB would bring back the two tone green also.

It does really need the orange/red stripe to be complete though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Pretty effective advertising too, since I still remember the Eircell ones.

blubloblu wrote: »
    Pretty effective advertising too, since I still remember the Eircell ones.

Not strictly on topic, but the one I remember most was a Dublin Bus KD in Coca Cola livery. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Threads merged

Was eircell the one that was striped, each carriage a different colour, blue/cyan, yellow, pinky red and something else?

The Guinness one was all different colours but on one side of the train, blue, yellow, pink and lime green I think. Back when the DARTs all ran as 4 car sets and 2 car off peak.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwaully/3217460551/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

crushproof wrote: »
    Wasn't there a Guinness DART and an Eircell one many moons ago?

I think it must nearly ten years ago, I remember seeing a smoke damaged Eircell one after the Fairview fire in 2001. I've a suspicion that the Eircell DARTs were the same ones that wore the Guinness, I think there were three Guinness units (did each had the writing in a different colour?). It's probably recorded in an IRRS or ITG journal of the time.

Regarding the livery, the original one lasted from 1984 to 2001/2-ish (bar the removal of the CIÉ roundel), the current one is only ten years in... I suppose there's only so little you can do with two-tone green, I can't imagine it being changed to some other colour, it's sort of a distinctive "icon" of Dublin, like the way London Transport buses are red.

That was the Guinness livery, black background, different coloured writing. The Eircell one had an anthropomorphic mobile phone with a city landscape as a background, with the slogan "Ready to Go!" (they had TV adverts featuring the Republica song of the same name).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Just to confirm, the pictures of the train with the Emirates ad is the one I saw! I saw it again this morning on its way to Malahide while I waited for my train. Not sure if its just the one though or if there are a few of them going around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Saw a DART this evening with maybe a quarter of the side of the outside carriage taken up by a 'visit belfast at christmas' ad, the rest was normal green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

The red trains just look brighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

blubloblu wrote: »
    Saw a DART this evening with maybe a quarter of the side of the outside carriage taken up by a 'visit belfast at christmas' ad, the rest was normal green.

Ah the irony, a government owned company with an advertisement to visit Belfast at Christmas.

The end of the recession is nigh. I can see the green shoots.

Ah the irony, a government owned company with an advertisement to visit Belfast at Christmas.

Well IE do have a joint venture with NIR and jointly operate the Enterprise service that serves Dublin to Belfast. The service has never recovered from the Malahide bridge collapse to coach bus competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

There's also a Dart with a 'Puss in boots' ad on the side. So it does definitely look like the start of a new revenue raising strategy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

At least those reading it would be more likely to travel up by Enterprise.

No different to RTE promoting SKY TV packages. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Some campaign they have going here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I actually like this. When done right it can make a train look so much nicer. They do this a lot in Japan too.

Advertisement