Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

I think those tracks are still there today buried in the muck, they were never fully lifted?

Currently that whole bank is being dug up for who knows what reason (probably a walking or cycling path or something) and it doesn't look like there's any buried rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Thought I'd bring this across from the Emergency Services Photo thread.
    These pictures are of the Irish Rail Fire-Fighting unit, which is based in their depot in Inchicore, Dublin but I believe it has now been disbanded. It was staffed by Irish Rail staff, who I believe received training from Dublin Fire Brigade as far as I know. The vehicles have seen better days but still very interesting.

xrBgTgXl.jpg

n1exmY6l.jpg

jIrfpudl.jpg

5V61PWgl.jpg

jwDhfqPl.jpg

ArRQ1WZl.jpg

FbBcFf4l.jpg

Ob5pYR4l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Two more nice shots from 1974 - slides currently available on eBay. Who remembers when Heuston used to be bustling with Maybachs hauling away passenger carriages from the arrival plaforms? Or the busy goods yard at Tralee, another faraway outpost where the G-class Deutz could be found at work. It must have been fun marshalling a large goods train with a Deutz given their notorious lack of braking ability. :D

E406+at+Heuston+1974.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

After spending the Friday night in Dublin, I decided to take a rather unusual route back to Laois on Saturday, via Sligo and Mayo!
    Pictures of the trip may be found at http://smu.gs/YP7AuJ

I don't know whether this long running thread http://www.dublin.ie/forums/showthread.php?9714-quot-the-work-s-quot-inchicore over on Dublin.ie has been highlighted before but it's well worth looking through and it covers far more than just Inchicore Works. Enjoy. :)

An interesting example below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=93482&stc=1&d=1332407009

• Advertisement

Evening all,

A big batch of pictures uploaded this evening.

Highlights include:

- Weekend photos from Cork and Kerry.
    - Monday morning trip from Killarney to Portlaoise with a 60 minute stop off at Limerick Jct.
    - Tuesday: The inaugural 1105 Ballina - Waterford Belview Port DFDS liner passing through Athy with the Container Pocket Wagons. The train was running +60 late as the train loco had to go and rescue failed Tamper 744 at Monastervin.
    http://smu.gs/Y5p8Rw

- Photographic Feature on the North Kerry Railway Line which closed in the mid 1970's.
    http://smu.gs/12s2Amy

Enjoy!
    The Wanderer.

God but the North Kerry is a depressing sight - especially my signal cabin at Abbeydorney which the current owner made such a fuss over that I let him keep it - despite having paid CIE for it! The way perfectly sound buildings like goods stores are let fall apart rather than a use being found for them, and nobody can even be bothered to remove ivy off water tanks...Newcastle West takes the prize for how to butcher a building.....:(

The 'mothballed' Foynes branch is unbelievable - soon be another walkway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Some good shots in the Belfast Telegraph photo archive

This one is interesting
    Rural+Railways+4.jpg

The new German Diesel locomotive built for the G.N.R. by M.A.K, the famous engineering firm in Kiel, after it was unloaded from the German ship Norderaw, at the North Wall, Dublin. DATE UNKNOWN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

I have uploaded some recent shots - here

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

A steam engine that's seen better days sitting in the yard of the Waitara Railway Preservation Society
    20130401_141312_zps1453630f.jpg

Evening folks,

Just clearing out the backlog of photos from the past couple of days.

Three Updates are now online:

- The North Kerry Railway: A update to gallery with new photos from Newcastlewest.
    http://smu.gs/14IF2Km

- The Foynes Branch: The Foynes Branch has lain disused since the early 2000's and is now badly overgrown in places. This is a photographic study of the branch between Foynes and Patrickswell.
    http://smu.gs/Z3V2yk

- April 2013 Gallery: 073 at Portarlington with a empty DFDS Liner to Ballina.
    http://smu.gs/Z3WPTY

Enjoy!
    The Wanderer.

Good evening all,

Two updates this evening to the website.

- Photos from Tuesday of Portarlington and an evening visit to Dublin Heuston, Busaras and The Point.

- The 2nd update is what we have been waiting for weeks on end. Repainted 077 has been let loose on the network. The loco was trialled at lunchtime today from Inchicore to Sallins and as the trial was successful she was soon pressed into service with a wagon transfer to North Wall. Sometimes you can't get them all so a massive thanks to GM233 and Mr. Church for allowing me to share their photos of the loco trial and wagon transfer to North Wall.

All the photos can be viewed at http://smu.gs/14Ya1Si

Enjoy,
    The Wanderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Cheers for the update on 077 and the news that it should be on the taras from tomorrow.

Hideous new livery - what was wrong with the last 071 colour scheme? Also, what's with the new numbering system - is to make the almost non-existent fleet of locomotives look bigger than it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

considering IE is supposedly in deep financial trouble why was a new livery needed when they only changed it a few years back? why change the logi too, i understand the numbers had to be changed due to europe but why oh why the waste of money....

The freight livery is actually 7 years old and the IE plug and socket logo will be 20 years old next year. The IR points logo lasted 7 years. The Commuter livery on the DMUs lasted 8 years before it started being replaced with Irish Rail silver. The Arrow livery before the Commuter one lasted 9 years. But in saying all that the casual irishrail.ie with the swirl didn't last longer than around 2 years before this new yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Hideous new livery - what was wrong with the last 071 colour scheme? Also, what's with the new numbering system - is to make the almost non-existent fleet of locomotives look bigger than it is?

C'mon now,when they send the 071s through the channel tunnel to work freight back and forth to Europe they will need those numbers on the side for everybody to see.........

The freight livery is actually 7 years old and the IE plug and socket logo will be 20 years old next year. The IR points logo lasted 7 years. The Commuter livery on the DMUs lasted 8 years before it started being replaced with Irish Rail silver. The Arrow livery before the Commuter one lasted 9 years. But in saying all that the casual irishrail.ie with the swirl didn't last longer than around 2 years before this new yoke.

compared to the NS (Dutch) logo for example which is going since '68 and a livery scheme that's more or less unchanged since then too and consiquently has a much better brand.
    I see no harm in changing things if an entire loco class is due a repaint / heavy overhaul anyway but IE really do seem to have a love of change "just because".
    the new livery is understandable as it'll hide the dirt and neglect much better than orange or silver.

• Advertisement

The thing with UIC numbers are that they are not strictly EU only related anymore. The EU numbers were the EVNs but in 2006 this became part of the UIC number system of which are are over 60 countries in it. The UK is in it as are Egypt, Syria, North Korea and a load of others. The USA are the major country who are not part of it.

I don't see the UK franchises slapping UIC numbers all over their rolling stock however or NIR if it is EU related. Then you have Freightliner UK, has sent class 66 locos to Freightliner PL and there is a class 59 working away in Germany. It's mad that we have to do it and the UK have rolling stock in France, Belgium, Italy, Germany, Poland and they have no UIC numbers displayed.

I don't see the UK franchises slapping UIC numbers all over their rolling stock however or NIR if it is EU related. Then you have Freightliner UK, has sent class 66 locos to Freightliner PL and there is a class 59 working away in Germany. It's mad that we have to do it and the UK have rolling stock in France, Belgium, Italy, Germany, Poland and they have no UIC numbers displayed.

they may well do, the rules of what is to be displayed are not what IE have. As we can see here, the number does not have to be on the front and a standard internal number can be kept there:
    454667-lokomotywa-fot.jpg

That's a new one on me. First time I've seen a UIC on UK rolling stock. Strange that they put GB in their UIC tag when the 70 part already is the country code for the UK.

Another thing, those buffers on the 66 are the same shape as the new ones that got fitted to the fan end of 077, the other end still has the standard 071 class oval buffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My first impressions of the new 071 livery is one of surprise. A grey slate livery doesn't look great when all over on many train units as with this one; it looks too dark.

You probably have some inspiration by looking at a BR Intercity HST125 and see the colour combinations from that. You would probably say this train looks much better with a variety of them rather than just one being applied.

I would be dreading to think what IE would do to the 201 class livery in their opinion. I have read recently that Barry Kenny being quoted in the Indo saying that the changes in IE 'wouldn't amount to a big bang'.

It doesn't amount to much now when what is happening is the complete opposite.

So, why is this changeover happening then? Do members of the public preferred a changeover? (I know that never happens at all) or is it just done out of spite within IE management?

Oh, I just realised now that IE have even more work to do when the commuter livery on the 29000 class has to changed.

More money being spent down the drain. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Howya lads. Have a few pictures for ye. I went for a stroll not so long ago to Killaloe/Ballina along the old railway route from Birdhill.

Photo 1 is the junction at birdhill
    Photo 2 is inside the stone building
    Photo 3 is of an old railway bridge north of Birdhill over the Kilmastulla river
    Photo 4 is the trackbed looking towards Birdhill
    Photo 5 is of an old srone bridge over the former railway just south of Ballina

Is that a working track???
    I see semaphores in the distance....

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Thanks for posting those images of a little photographed disused line. The stone building is most likely the base of an old water tower. There's supposed to be an old pedestrian footbridge near the river bridge in Killaloe, all of which I missed when last there in 2002.:o
    Interestingly the 'branch' was the original line from Limerick, but became a stub when the railway was reached from Nenagh.

• Advertisement

Advertisement