Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Did you hear the one about the female train driver... :eek:

saltsjo_1001182c.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/15/cleaner-injured-train-building-stockholm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

PkcLG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

pKSHf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Those Queensland Rail poster are great :)
    4cd.jpg
    e92.jpg
    3f3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sporty56

Found these while looking through files for something else - reckon it's early 1984 not long before DARTs took over

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

sporty56 wrote: »
    Found these while looking through files for something else - reckon it's early 1984 not long before DARTs took over

It's later than that. The IR logo came out in 1987. Also the 121s on Mk3 pushpulls were used on the Dublin suburban services from the early 1990s.

They are between 1990-1994 time frame. Great atmosphere in those snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Thanks a mill to the smart arse who e-mailed me this link today http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/1409-Bell-Container-Ship Bell could have been saved with the right decision at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

sporty56 wrote: »

Those pretty much represents the highpoint for railways in Ireland IMO purely from variety and visual perspective. Proper trains with locomotives in proper orange livery working hard :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Letterkenny_train.jpg

Not the worst price in the world at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

This great photograph made an appearance an Broadsheet.ie today. Says it's from the 1970's,anyone any info on the incident?

a-dub-1970s-geograph-connolly-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

lord lucan wrote: »
    This great photograph made an appearance an Broadsheet.ie today. Says it's from the 1970's,anyone any info on the incident?
    That's none other than a Jonathan M.Allen photo. He has been uploading some of his collection to the geograph website since his fotopic site went offline. Original link here with details of the derailment.
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3244836

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Eiretrains wrote: »
    That's none other than a Jonathan M.Allen photo. He has been uploading some of his collection to the geograph website since his fotopic site went offline. Original link here with details of the derailment.

Fantastic stuff,he had an amazing archive of photo's from over the years when trains were interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

There was another incident near that spot some years previously, where a GNR(I) tank engine ran the buffers on the siding next the engine shed in that shot and was left dangling precariously over the lower level by the canal. I remember it reached the papers ok., haven't seen that photo since !!!

There was another incident near that spot some years previously, where a GNR(I) tank engine ran the buffers on the siding next the engine shed in that shot and was left dangling precariously over the lower level by the canal. I remember it reached the papers ok., haven't seen that photo since !!!

You mean this one?

6931074019_399d2ff40a_z.jpg

171 went off the end of the "wash road" at Connolly.

You wouldn't have thought back then that 171 would end up being the last 141 in service.

Karsini wrote: »
    You wouldn't have thought back then that 171 would end up being the last 141 in service.

Sure wouldn't.

I posted that line myself before on another forum almost word for word.

I'm trying to figure the track layout back then, how come the wash road stopped before the canal and not at East Wall junction like it does today. Was there no bridge for that track at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Sure wouldn't.
    I'm trying to figure the track layout back then, how come the wash road stopped before the canal and not at East Wall junction like it does today. Was there no bridge for that track at the time?
    That's right, there was no third track into Amiens St at that time, only in the early 1980s in preparation for the DART was an extra track put in, this of course being the 'wash road' which has the washers on it for cleaning trains.
    Before this, the track leading from the side of the locomotive shed was just a headshunt which B171 over-ran on that occasion. In that photo also is the disused line leading to the Dublin City Steam Packet company yard in the North Wall.

In that photo also is the disused line leading to the Dublin City Steam Packet company yard in the North Wall.

I think those tracks are still there today buried in the muck, they were never fully lifted?

Captain Chaos, it was 1962 approx. I was passing by on the train on my way to school.

• Advertisement

Captain Chaos, it was 1966 approx., I was passing by on the train on my way to school.

Ah,....I wasn't even a twinkle. Good times to have been around.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

This was posted in twitter today by Waterford Museum, nice picture :

"Passenger train on the Ballyvoile Viaduct, Waterford / Mallow Railway Line, Ireland. c 25 March, 1967. http://t.co/odM9Okgr "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Captain Chaos, it was 1962 approx. I was passing by on the train on my way to school.

You must be even older than me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

I was out walking the dog and noticed that a stairs has been installed beside an overbridge. What purpose does it serve as the PW staff have access from the other side of the bridge for their machines?
    16c50mt.jpg
    Gate preventing access
    28sy70x.jpg

Finally the view North towards Ballybrophy:
    2s68rno.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

We've put loads of them in for Network Rail and London Underground (I'm back in the UK for now) You can't have staff scrambling up and down banks to an access point. Even if there was an RRV access point nearby, that may have been use as an access point for years.

You need plenty of access or staff are wasting their time trekking when they could be working in a very short possession, could only be a couple of hours available (obviously not here when you have all the time in the world :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Clue; it has 1972 written under the photo ;)

Clue; it has 1972 written under the photo ;)

As far as I can make out from the photo - it is the same spot where a GNR(i) tank engine pulled off the same stunt but not quite as successful as in that photo and I guess it was around 1962, as I'm relying on a somewhat dodgy memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You mean this one?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/Check6/6931074019_399d2ff40a_z.jpg

http://binged.it/Y7wBPP

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I was out walking the dog and noticed that a stairs has been installed beside an overbridge. What purpose does it serve as the PW staff have access from the other side of the bridge for their machines?
    16c50mt.jpg
    Gate preventing access
    28sy70x.jpg

Finally the view North towards Ballybrophy:
    2s68rno.jpg

No.3 is a dinger - top class !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Taken yesterday
    8482142216_a5f90d2e41_c.jpg
    IMG_0436 by csd75, on Flickr

Advertisement