Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

I thought that was already done ??

Oh, maybe it was? I don't know, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Morning over the rails: New Plymouth Branch Line
    2012-07-06075219.jpg
    2012-07-06075319.jpg
    (2nd pic is taken standing on an open level crossing by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Poor old 90 wasn't always at Downpatrick, Tuam, Mallow, Castleisland...and she is pictured here when displayed in the Bay platform at Fermoy.

90%2Bat%2BFermoy.PNG

Slide for sale here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IRISH-IRELAND-RAILWAY-CIE-FERMOY-STATION-CORK-COLOUR-PHOTOGRAPH-/350579881987?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item51a0307803#ht_500wt_1202

Shameless plug for a couple of C class negatives that I'm selling here: http://www.adverts.ie/other-antiques-collectables/irish-railway-negatives-2/1852084

c%2Bclass%2B001.JPG

Pic shows #222 on an engineering train at Limerick Junction. 222 was one of a number of withdrawn C class locos that were hurriedly brought back into service when the 071s developed 'problems' in early 1986. The C class "Coastline Crawler" farewell tour had operated in December 1985 by which time most of the class had been withdrawn.

Shameless plug for a couple of C class negatives that I'm selling here: http://www.adverts.ie/other-antiques-collectables/irish-railway-negatives-2/1852084

1,000 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

The C class "Coastline Crawler" farewell tour had operated in December 1985 by which time most of the class had been withdrawn.
    I haven't heard of that tour DJ, obviously pre-ITG days. What operated on it and where did it go?

Eiretrains wrote: »
    I haven't heard of that tour DJ, obviously pre-ITG days. What operated on it and where did it go?

December 14th 1985.

Heuston - Connolly - Kilcoole - Newcastle - Wicklow and back.

c%2Bcrawler%2B009.JPG

230 was the loco. A particular memorable trip on the return leg as a non-stop run stop through Bray allowed the storming of Shanganagh bank!

The Railway Magazine carried a 3 page (!) article on the railtour in the April 1986 edition - well worth picking up a copy if you can.

c%2Bcrawler%2B010.JPG

The first 'named' diesel hauled tour in Ireland as far as I know - mould breaking after decades of IRRS tours by 'special' train. :rolleyes:

We ran in it in pre-ITG days, and before we had a database of enthusiasts, so it was quite a select mob that travelled on the day. I shouldn't think that CIE made much hard cash from it as they only charged us whatever we took in fares. :D

All gone now - anybody know what happened to the once ubiquitous Shane McQuillan who disappeared off the radar years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They really did make a lovely job of midleton signal cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

i knows its a little obscure but does anyone have any photos of or a link to photos of the the freight train heading into tegral plant in athy, i have only found one so far from an old IRRS Journal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Yesterday saw the first train of a busy few weeks for the RPSI's Dublin operations. Ex DSER loco 461 took charge of a consist of Cravens and BR van from Connolly to Wicklow; a local service operating from Wicklow to Greystones gave the locals a chance to experience steam by the sea. A few I got a chance to snap en route, any excuse to try out a new camera.

Having crossed the Dargle, 461 meets a 8500 class DART Ex Malahide 14:45 on the steep climb leaving Bray.

DSCF0566.jpg

Taking the train over Killiney strand.

DSCF0575.jpg

Leaving Wicklow for the run home.

DSCF0529.jpg

Almost home, 461 creeps over Loop Bridge before terminating at platform 5 in Connolly.

DSCF0590.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Is that metre gauge? Spain??

I recall being in Valencia years ago and one of their logos wasn't a million miles away from the IR one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

1,000 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Will you throw in a MetroVick C for that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

davidlacey wrote: »
    i knows its a little obscure but does anyone have any photos of or a link to photos of the the freight train heading into tegral plant in athy, i have only found one so far from an old IRRS Journal.
    Page 101 in the CIE to IR book theres a picture of a cement train crossing the Barrow br on the Tegral line, a few years ago I went to a picture show in the IRRS, where they project pictures on a screen, I remember seeing some nice pictures cement trains on that line and in the factory, a pair of yanks shunting cement in Tegral, there seems to be a small group of photographers in the railway records who seem to have pictures of anything that moves on the railway, theres plenty of photos around, just getting to know the right people.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/6694654861/

where1.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/athy%20tegral%20train/Railcargricer1/PB141515.jpg

Barrow_Rail_Bridge_Athy.JPG

The branch is the stub of the old Wolfhill line, which was opened around 1918 to serve it's coal mines. It was supposedly laid with second hand track lifted from the Clonsilla-Drumreee section of the MGWR line to Navan, so the legend goes. The last cement delivery into there was in the summer of 2005 .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/6694654861/

where1.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/athy%20tegral%20train/Railcargricer1/PB141515.jpg

Barrow_Rail_Bridge_Athy.JPG

The branch is the stub of the old Wolfhill line, which was opened around 1918 to serve it's coal mines. It was supposedly laid with second hand track lifted from the Clonsilla-Drumreee section of the MGWR line to Navan, so the legend goes. The last cement delivery into there was in the summer of 2005 .

Beauty of a pic, love seeing old irish freight photography, and back in the day we all took alot of these routes for granted thinking they would be there forever sigh

I thought that the Wolfhill branch was built using rail recovered from the singling of the Cherryville/Carlow section but then I'm getting on a bit. :D

http://industrialheritageireland.info/TikiWiki/tiki-index.php?page=Kildare+to+Waterford

It seems it was the Athy/Carlow section that the rails came from.

I thought that the Wolfhill branch was built using rail recovered from the singling of the Cherryville/Carlow section but then I'm getting on a bit. :D

http://industrialheritageireland.info/TikiWiki/tiki-index.php?page=Kildare+to+Waterford

It seems it was the Athy/Carlow section that the rails came from.

I'd not argue about it, either :D I do recall a mention of the MGWR section being repatriated for a new line; another mute point for me to dig out Journals to research tonight.

can you subscribe for IRRS Journals or do you have to be a member?

can you subscribe for IRRS Journals or do you have to be a member?

The best way to get them is to join them; they will be mailed to you as they come. Alternatively, you can pick up copies at their meetings which recommence in the autumn as well as back copies, which are on sale for a small fee.

www.irrs.ie is the URL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

It'd be nice if someone could introduce them to a modern CMS. My eyes hurt every time I go looking for their cut-down journal postings for info on LC upgrades etc. I think it's possible they are still using Frontpage, or at least reusing code maybe.

Edit: yup.
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">

FrontPage 4.0 is FrontPage 2000... they're using a 13 year old HTML editor? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is a reason they are called the fossils.

Is that metre gauge? Spain??

I recall being in Valencia years ago and one of their logos wasn't a million miles away from the IR one.

Portuguese so the description stated.

Portuguese so the description stated.

http://www.refer.pt/

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Thats a new 1, never heard that before, learn something new everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Karsini wrote: »
    FrontPage 4.0 is FrontPage 2000... they're using a 13 year old HTML editor? :eek:
    the images they use for navigation between sections are a dead giveaway for FP.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Play nice.

• Advertisement

Interesting pic from Save the Rail's Facebook page. No prizes for guessing what came off worse in that encounter.

Crash%2Bon%2BRailway%2Bat%2BDungarvan.PNG

Photo: Cáit Ni Sheághdha

Advertisement