Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom Announces fibre roll out

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Wasn't it trialed in Tuam co.Galway?

2 separate kinds, both equally disastrous. You could hear Tuam from space. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Sponge Bob wrote: »

:D

Shame tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Does anyone know when you will be able to get this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I was told the 26th september, So i'd say about two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Agh.. Wexford's getting fibre. I'm with Vodafone and just moved house (renting) so I had to sign another 12 month contract for them to move the broadband (it's in their T&C's).. So jealous of whoevers getting fibre broadband!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Maybe the third kind would have been just right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭[Steve]

If I could, I'd move to the UK just for the 500Mb Fibre broadband. Ireland is so goddamn backwards in terms of internet connectivity and speed. I wish fibre would come to waterford.

[Steve] wrote: »
    If I could, I'd move to the UK just for the 500Mb Fibre broadband. Ireland is so goddamn backwards in terms of internet connectivity and speed. I wish fibre would come to waterford.
    Who does the 500Mb broadband?

Seems very high speed for residential...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Am I imagining it, but didn't Eircom lay a load of fibre-optic cable years ago?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

[Steve] wrote: »

You can get 100Mbit/s from UPC at a fairly OK price.
    You can also get 1Gbit/s from several providers but you'd need to take out a mortgage to pay the bill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Am I imagining it, but didn't Eircom lay a load of fibre-optic cable years ago?:confused:
    they probably just pretended to , to get a load of saps to change their broadband to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

ejmaztec wrote: »

They did, but it was all backhaul. It's probably behind their current "congestion free" promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Solair wrote: »
    You can get 100Mbit/s from UPC at a fairly OK price.
    You can also get 1Gbit/s from several providers but you'd need to take out a mortgage to pay the bill!
    Several providers in Sweden are now doing 1Gbit/s for residentials, usually charge close around 90 EUR a month for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I wasn't imagining it!:D

It's all coming back to me now. The cable's about 15 metres from my house, yet I'm sitting here connected to a poxy telephone line on a pole, and getting 2mb download speed less then 1.5 miles away from the nearest exchange.:mad:

I'd be interested in knowing who's getting the benefit of this technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Is contention an issue with FTTH? And if i'm paying for the 150mb package will i get 150mb? If not around what would be normal?

I'm about 500metres from the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

I think contention may be an issue at some stage but initially probably not. If Eircom are using GPON at a 32:1 split the uplink between the 32 subs is 2.5Gbit/s ~74Mbit/s per sub if everyone was sharing. But I guess it also depends on the backhaul capacity from each site.

Realistically I guess speeds of 100Mbit/s+ will be achievable if the backhaul is in place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Nody wrote: »
    Several providers in Sweden are now doing 1Gbit/s for residentials, usually charge close around 90 EUR a month for it.

1Gbit for £50 for Residental in London :eek:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/369871/uk-set-for-1gbit-sec-residential-broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mannam

Ok, how come UPC's Fibre Power Broadband doesn't need phone line, but eircom's Next Generation Broadband (fibre powered) does? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

mannam wrote: »
    Ok, how come UPC's Fibre Power Broadband doesn't need phone line, but eircom's Next Generation Broadband (fibre powered) does? :confused:
    Because neither of them are actually fibre products? :)

If you still use dial-up internet today the chances are it too is "fibre powered" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

still no word on the prices for this???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Murtinho wrote: »
    still no word on the prices for this???

Magnet (a reseller of this system) released their pricing recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

bealtine wrote: »
    Magnet (a reseller of this system) released their pricing recently.

I think that is their own, unrelated, fibre product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

125 megabit for ~62 euro? UPC do the 100 for 50 euro is it?

Ahhh well I'm just jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

Onikage wrote: »
    I think that is their own, unrelated, fibre product.

Initially they had both products on the same page which was confusing. Their pricing at http://www.magnet.ie/fibre/ is for the new ftth product. €65.99 for 150/30 aint bad at all

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

lynchie wrote: »
    Initially they had both products on the same page which was confusing. Their pricing at http://www.magnet.ie/fibre/ is for the new ftth product. €65.99 for 150/30 aint bad at all

sounds good, will weget to choose either Eircom or magnet?

Also will there be fair usage policies or any restrictions on what you download, ie like Eircom banned pirating previously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom ....if they execute on target......will only match UPC coverage in mid 2015. By then they will have 200,000 fewer lines and UPC will have 200,000 more customers, minimum.

2012 100,000 630,000
    2013 400,000 700,000
    2014 700,000 770,000
    2015 1,000,000 830,000

UPC hit 700,000 homes passed in late 2011 and eircoms 2012 plans are going nowhere ...as they restructure.

They may hit 100,000 in 2013 but UPC will hit 750,000 in 2012 and 300,000 of the 750,000 will take a Broadband service off them by year end/

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Haven't followed this thread since July, anyone hear of any roomers of our model, standout, world class national telecommunication organization EIRCOM investing in enabling the rest of the rural exchanges across the country?? :D

... or is it the same old story :mad: as we have been dealing with for almost 10 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

p.oconnor wrote: »
    Haven't followed this thread since July, anyone hear of any roomers of our model, standout, world class national telecommunication organization EIRCOM investing in enabling the rest of the rural exchanges across the country?? :D

... or is it the same old story :mad: as we have been dealing with for almost 10 years now

Yeah nationwide coverage of Sandyford and little bits of Wexford town. Great isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

bealtine wrote: »
    Yeah nationwide coverage of Sandyford and little bits of Wexford town. Great isn't it?

Were getting there, bit by bit (meter by meter) .....:D

Advertisement