Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comments on the boards.ie daily forecast ( > 1,000,000 views )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Thanks, that is funny ... and once again, thanks to all who have posted on other threads and become part of the forecast process around here, this occasion is for the entire weather forum's active weather posters, in particular those who start and contribute heavily to forecast threads.

Severe storm potential west and northwest of Dublin has me pretty busy today, it figures I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wouldnt it be nice if boards.ie paid for MT's visit to Ireland in recognition of the forecast thread and the traffic it generates?

(I'm just sayin)

Mucho respecto to you MT Cranium. I doubt I trust any weather report as much as yours to be honest.

Here too in my house, your forecasts are first in the order of the day.

I too was one who didnt ' get' the meaning of your sig... then one day it hit me, ah EMPTY CRANIUM I get it now... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Hello MTC.
    I think this a great thread which shows alot of appreciation for your hard work.I was only thinking during the year that you dont get enough thanks for all thhe forecasts day in day out.Lord know theres days that everybody doesnt feel like going to work so we take the aul sick day here and there:D
    But you are there every day without fail.
    Well done and great reading every day.:)

My two sons are of course H.F. Cranium and H.E. Cranium (will see who gets that first).

Not seeking any favours from Boards.ie, one day my signature line might contain a link to a website which might have some cheap publication available (like 2-3 euros or something), so that might handle the concept of defraying expenses on a trip to Ireland, but think we can swing it anyway in 2013.

This year we've been making few big plans because of some issues in the background keeping us close to home, but think these will be resolved long before spring 2013 when we might be thinking of planning a trip (for later in the year). Also of course, this would be mainly an incognito holiday but perhaps it could spark some sort of general boards-weather-forum type get-together somewhere handy to many, but I've said I might try to get to the Cloud Festival in 2013 if the dates stay similar, so possibly in conjunction with that -- my wife is not quite as keen on the weather as myself (there's a shocker) so I don't want to burden her with too many weather-related days out of twelve or however many, although in Ireland in summer I suppose all days are weather-related whether you like it or not. Anyway, not wanting to get ahead of the game, health can always be an issue for 60-somethings although right now it isn't. I've only had one trip to Ireland (1978) although several to Wales and Scotland, and my better half has had one brief trip to the U.K. with me back in 1988, so we are both very much looking forward to a chance to visit Ireland and in particular the nice parts where all of you live (aaah). However we will see how all this unfolds next year, who knows, I could be in jail for forecasting without a licence by then.

• Advertisement

My two sons are of course H.F. Cranium and H.E. Cranium (will see who gets that first).

I got it, I got it!!!!!

:D;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

M.T. many thanks for your effort and contributions. Here's to many more years of your forecasts, with billions of views!!!
    Thank You,
    Rocky Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Some models don't get out of bed for less than €10,000

I don't get out of bed without having checked MT's daily forecast

Well done MT - you da man !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

with regards to your sons a positive person would like H.F and a negative person would like H.E

My twins are simply MMRY and HMRY. Just their names nothing to figure.

Enjoy your forecasts. It cheers me when you tell me its going to be 24c and Met Eireann only say 19c! Your right though with your medium and even long term forecasts in such a way to be scary!

How do you know that stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well done MT very much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Sounds like some folks did figure out H.F. and H.E., too bad we can't say the same for the old rain gauge this summer.

If we're going to go another million views, then we'll all have to pull together and get some better weather, I think I broke summer when I started (first I had to break U.K. summer back in '07). :eek:

This is why they don't let me forecast around here. :cool:

OTOH, we did manage to find winter after a long absence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

OTOH, we did manage to find winter after a long absence.

You planning on staying around for the next million so?? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

vicwatson wrote: »
    Some models don't get out of bed for less than €10,000

I don't get out of bed without having checked MT's daily forecast

Well done MT - you da man !

Me too!!!
    And am especially lovin' the North America updates these days too as I'm doing a lot of work trips around the US. Thanks for the forecasts and for helping me learn a little about weather.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

North Cork wrote: »
    Well done MT, any chance the admin people could remove the 170 + pages of daily weather as they are now obsolete

I don't agree. Not only are those 170 pages + a testament of MT's hard work and dedication over the last 3 years or so, but they are also great archive of forecasts as well over these 3 years that have seen 2 very cold winters and a run of rather strange summers. Probably a naive notion I have but I think these would offer great interest and insight of the current weather/climate pattern to the future generations of weather enthusiasts who have an interest in the past weather and climate of Ireland.

For example can you imagine if this forum existed during such events as winters of '47/ 62-63, or the snowy month of December '81, or the terrific thundery spells in July '85 - June '86 and so forth. They certainly would make for great reading today! :) Live, interactive, on the spot forecasts and reports from all parts of the country. We are now living though a time when official synoptic stations around the country are doing away with essential and all important human observation, so I think weather forums such as this one and others are important in keeping subjective, human account of the daily weather in Ireland on record so as others in the future can get a real idea as to what was happening in the skies during our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Well done MTC, you are top of the ratings and free from the paparazzi but we could organise a few at Dublin airport should you drop in.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I don't agree. Not only are those 170 pages + a testament of MT's hard work and dedication over the last 3 years or so, but they are also great archive of forecasts as well over these 3 years that have seen 2 very cold winters and a run of rather strange summers. Probably a naive notion I have but I think these would offer great interest and insight of the current weather/climate pattern to the future generations of weather enthusiasts who have an interest in the past weather and climate of Ireland.

For example can you imagine if this forum existed during such events as winters of '47/ 62-63, or the snowy month of December '81, or the terrific thundery spells in July '85 - June '86 and so forth. They certainly would make for great reading today! :) Live, interactive, on the spot forecasts and reports from all parts of the country. We are now living though a time when official synoptic stations around the country are doing away with essential and all important human observation, so I think weather forums such as this one and others are important in keeping subjective, human account of the daily weather in Ireland on record so as others in the future can get a real idea as to what was happening in the skies during our time.

I think you are absolutely correct D E. I did not see that post and I think it would be madness to remove years of fantastic interpretation of what the models are trying to tell us. M.T uses blend of all models to come up with a most likely scenario being played out. It's his years of climate expertise and personal experience that adds a special touch to his forecasts and the mass following that has gathered because of this simply speaks volumes.

If it's not broke,then leave it alone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Congratulations MT and thank you for your fantastic contributions to boards.ie.

You are a true Legend of the Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

While we all know 1,000,000 views is a big deal and none of us can doubt that M.T. Cranium truly is a legend of Boards, just how remarkable is this achievement? Well, let me share some stats with you so you can gain some more perspective :)

Until the forecast thread made 1 million views, there were only 36 threads on Boards to ever have made it past 1 million. Now there is 37.

There are only 7 threads (including the forecast thread) with more than 1 million views that are currently open on Boards.ie

The other forums with threads > 1 million views that are open are CVPL (Cool Vids, Pictures and Links), After Hours and The Ladies Lounge.

Every one of these other forums receive far higher traffic than the Weather forum. In fact CVPL and AH would regularly receive more views on a rolling week/month than all of the Science category forums put together.

Every other thread with > 1 million views that's open has at least 750 different contributors, most (4 out of the 6) have more than 1000 posters contributing. By stark contrast, the Forecast thread has slightly more than 200.

Even more amazing is that the main contributor (surprise, it's M.T. Cranium) has 1522 posts. The next most frequent contributor has just 37 posts on the thread.

So let me finish this post off by giving my congratulations to M.T. Cranium, the weather/Boards.ie community and the mods, it's a great achievement and a testament to you all. I'll be sure to try and keep the Boards.ie hamsters ticking over so we can get as many more eyes on the quality forecasts as possible :)

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Congrats MT thanks for all the brilliant work that you do here. Its greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Quite an achievement. You will forever be immortalised on boards. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

MT, I would also like to add my voice in thanking you for all the effort that goes into your forecasts.

In fairness to you, you even manage to keep us all engaged with some shred of hope even when the Irish weather is delivering its often bland output! I always like the 'there are four weeks of puke weather coming, but then there are signs of a much colder and snowy spell'.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

While we all know 1,000,000 views is a big deal and none of us can doubt that M.T. Cranium truly is a legend of Boards, just how remarkable is this achievement? Well, let me share some stats with you so you can gain some more perspective :)

Until the forecast thread made 1 million views, there were only 36 threads on Boards to ever have made it past 1 million. Now there is 37.

There are only 7 threads (including the forecast thread) with more than 1 million views that are currently open on Boards.ie

The other forums with threads > 1 million views that are open are CVPL (Cool Vids, Pictures and Links), After Hours and The Ladies Lounge.

Every one of these other forums receive far higher traffic than the Weather forum. In fact CVPL and AH would regularly receive more views on a rolling week/month than all of the Science category forums put together.

Every other thread with > 1 million views that's open has at least 750 different contributors, most (4 out of the 6) have more than 1000 posters contributing. By stark contrast, the Forecast thread has slightly more than 200.

Even more amazing is that the main contributor (surprise, it's M.T. Cranium) has 1522 posts. The next most frequent contributor has just 37 posts on the thread.

So let me finish this post off by giving my congratulations to M.T. Cranium, the weather/Boards.ie community and the mods, it's a great achievement and a testament to you all. I'll be sure to try and keep the Boards.ie hamsters ticking over so we can get as many more eyes on the quality forecasts as possible :)

Danny

He also has over 50k thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Battle of the Warm Week in the west. Basically the weather will be warm and dry in the WEST next week but Met Eireann focus on the drearier forecast in Dublin.

Met E forecast 21-27 July from 21 July on met.ie

"This band of rain and drizzle will lie over much of Munster and Leinster on Monday making for a dull damp day in these provinces. Ulster and Connacht will be drier and mostly cloudy with just patchy drizzle. Highest temperatures of 17 to 20 degrees with moderate southwest winds.

The forecast for Tuesday is somewhat uncertain. At the moment it looks like there'll be further rain and drizzle over Munster and Leinster with drier, brighter weather in Connacht and Ulster. The rain and drizzle will tend to fizzle out on Tuesday night and early Wednesday and all areas will be mostly dry for much of Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. There'll always be the risk of a few showers from time to time. But rainfall amounts will be small. It will be warm as well with temperatures in the high teens to low twenties, and possibly reaching the mid twenties in places on Thursday. "

MT Forecast 21-27 July ( Todays forecast 21 July)

MONDAY ... Variable cloud, warm and muggy, patchy light rain at first should begin to break to isolated showers, lows 12-16 C and highs 21-25 C except 17-19 C near some coasts with local fog or mist.

TUESDAY ... Hazy sunshine at times, isolated showers mainly west and north, warm and muggy. Lows 12-16 C and highs 22-26 C except 18-20 C near some coasts.

WEDNESDAY ... Continued warm with sunny intervals, stronger sea breezes from Irish Sea as winds become more easterly, allowing the west coast to warm up further, highs 22-26 C warmest near west coast and inland, central.

THURSDAY-FRIDAY ... There is some chance of the warm spell continuing, but the model consensus indicates slight or perhaps moderate cooling in a northeast wind flow, models diverge on how strong this cooling trend might become, but expect at least a slight drop in temperatures in most regions and a sharp drop in Ulster and coastal Leinster, highs typically 18-21 C south and west, to 14-17 C Ulster and near 18 C Dublin,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

yeah MT's forecast is as different to met eireann as ive ever seen!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

What's with the new legal disclaimer?

Did some muppet go on a walk without a rain jacket, got drenched and then blamed MT? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

These days the number of views are probably climbing because everyone has a look in the morning, then after a few hours of yet more rain, go back for another look to see if there is any glimmer of hope!!! ;)

Time for another update as the system shows no sign of shifting the precipitation over the east and south east. Ashford in Wicklow up to 65mm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Joe Public wrote: »
    Time for another update as the system shows no sign of shifting the precipitation over the east and south east. Ashford in Wicklow up to 65mm today.

How did you dig out a 4 month dormant thread to tell us that Joe :D

How did you dig out a 4 month dormant thread to tell us that Joe :D

I'd consider it a relatively active thread, bank accounts are usually considered dormant when no activity for 15 years :)
    Why start a new thread when there is a suitable one already there?
    I'm expecting to look out the window tomorrow morning and see white topped Dublin/Wicklow hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

and a more severe cold spell is still quite possible for later this month or early-mid February.
    Not getting good vibes from todays forecast, seems to be less certain of impending cold?
    The severe cold spell must be looking less likely than before for him to include the word 'still quite possible' in the forecast.

Advertisement