Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comments on the boards.ie daily forecast ( > 1,000,000 views )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

If that comes true for Donegal bay it will be an interesting day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Time to stick up your B&B sign as you can expect Iancar29 and a few others in pursuit.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

will be interesting to see that storm develop. someone should set a thread up on it or maybe its already set up and i dont see it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

pauldry wrote: »
    will be interesting to see that storm develop. someone should set a thread up on it or maybe its already set up and i dont see it

Using the Hurricane Katia thread at the moment. I suspect a "potentially very windy Sunday night/Monday" thread will pop up.

Looks like ME is getting in on the act now too, theres an article in the Donegal post.
    A rep from ME said
    "Once the hurricane reaches the Atlantic Ocean it turns into a storm.
    A hurricane only feeds on temperatures higher than 20 degrees centigrade.
    Having said this,it is possible its remnants will hit the N Atlantic Area but we cannot pinpoint where and when at this stage"

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Looks like ME is getting in on the act now too, theres an article in the Donegal post.
    A rep from ME said
    "Once the hurricane reaches the Atlantic Ocean it turns into a storm.
    A hurricane only feeds on temperatures higher than 20 degrees centigrade.
    Having said this,it is possible its remnants will hit the N Atlantic Area but we cannot pinpoint where and when at this stage"

Hinted at on the main page too.

"There'll be further showers on Saturday night. Winds ease somewhat for a time early Sunday. However, a deep Atlantic storm travelling northeastwards to the North of Scotland is likely to bring extremely windy weather over Ireland during Sunday night and into Monday morning; with the strongest winds in the northwest and north of the country"

dsmythy wrote: »
    Hinted at on the main page too.

"There'll be further showers on Saturday night. Winds ease somewhat for a time early Sunday. However, a deep Atlantic storm travelling northeastwards to the North of Scotland is likely to bring extremely windy weather over Ireland during Sunday night and into Monday morning; with the strongest winds in the northwest and north of the country"

Good looking. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Monday, 3 October, 2011

THURSDAY ... Turning quite cool in westerly to northwesterly winds 30-50 mph, squally showers, lows near 7 C and highs near 12 C north to 14 C south. Risk of hail and even a bit of snow on higher summits of Connacht, Donegal.

And so it begins! First snow forecast for anywhere of the season I think!!

even if it is only a risk on northern hills . . :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Never saw this thread before, so there, MT thanks for the daily forecasts, I hardly ever check ME anymore, but look forward to your more accurate predictions.

pssstt... come on everyone, thank him NOW, he might just come up with more snow or somethin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Never saw this thread before, so there, MT thanks for the daily forecasts, I hardly ever check ME anymore, but look forward to your more accurate predictions.

pssstt... come on everyone, thank him NOW, he might just come up with more snow or somethin'.

fact !!! much more reliable then ME ......

THANKS MT ;):D:):cool:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Good job MT and thanks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I see a large HP will build to our South next week giving a period of rather mild settled weather - well and good but why the hell do we not get this anymore during summer proper!!:confused:

PS: I'll be glad to see the back of 2011 weatherwise - its been utterly dull in every sense of the word!!:(:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I live in London but whenever I'm going home for a few dyas, I have a look at MT's forecast as its usually bang on. Thanks and keep mup the good work.

Even they manage to turn risk of snow into 'snow on the way!' and cooler weather to 'shuddering shivering end'.

Even they manage to turn risk of snow into 'snow on the way!' and cooler weather to 'shuddering shivering end'.

I know, its pretty comical actually. Also notice the BREAKING NEWS headline. :rolleyes:
    Totally misleading, funny thing is they are the same crowd that would post something then the day after saying the weather forecasters got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

just wanted to say a big thank you to mt its my first port of call every morning dont get time to post here at that time, but really enjoy the severe weather days, thank you mt keep up the great work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

....and "winds of 30-50 mph..." to "winds of more than 50 mph.."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Thanks for comments and feedback, clearly nobody in his right mind would do what I am doing, so it helps that I am in fact not in my right mind. ;)

If boards.ie will permit, these forecasts should continue to appear at least through the coming winter season. Perhaps eventually it might be humane to reduce this effort to fewer regular forecasts, with concentration on the more active and unusual weather events.

I hope somebody spots some snow on a hilltop on Thursday, that would be nice. With the Irish media, I don't mind a little "embellishment" because at least they don't go off the deep end like the UK media with their "hurricane to destroy half of Britain" type of headlines every time a 70 mph wind gust could possibly occur. As to winds of >50 mph, well there's always Malin Head.

Met Eireann have gusts up to 120km for north west tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Didn't know where else to put this as there is no thread about it so I'l put it here.

Issued at 05 October 2011 - 18:00
    Weather Advisory issued 1800 Wednesday
    Extremely windy and blustery on Thursday with the strongest winds expected to affect Ulster and north Connacht. Strong to gale force west to northwest winds will gust 110 to 120 km/h in exposed hilly and coastal areas of the North and Northwest. Winds elsewhere will gust 75 to 95 km/h.
    There will be high seas on Atlantic coasts also.
    Valid 11:00 Thursday 6/10/2011
    until 22:00 Thursday 6/10/2011

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Local radio headlines are giving damaging winds today. Ophelia sneaked up on us me thinks !

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

martyo wrote: »
    just wanted to say a big thank you to mt its my first port of call every morning dont get time to post here at that time, but really enjoy the severe weather days, thank you mt keep up the great work.

Exact same for me! Thanks MT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Met Eireann have gusts up to 120km for north west tomorrow.

Irish News Report - A few strong winds about in the north west. Ideal for a bracing walk along the coast to clear the head.

UK News Report - Coast to be ravaged by hurricane. Shops are being stripped of foods as homeowners prepare to lock themselves down for an unknown period. Emergency services are at ready for expected major casualties.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

irish1967 wrote: »
    Local radio headlines are giving damaging winds today. Ophelia sneaked up on us me thinks !

Very quiet here, I take it it's the calm before the storm.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Am I the only one who read MT's forecast today and thought that his April Fool's joke came in late this year? Snow, tornadoes, thunder and wind? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

K-9 wrote: »
    Very quiet here, I take it it's the calm before the storm.

Yep, just picked up here within 20 minutes!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Yep, just picked up here within 20 minutes!

Shouldn't be anything the people of Donegal don't get several times a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ophelia sneaked up on us me thinks !

The shredded remains of Ophelia sneaked up and passed over us 2 days ago in typical innocuous fashion! ;) The winds and weather today had nothing to do with Ophelia, at least in a direct sense. Ophelia may have helped drag down the cool unstable air mass alright but it was an air mass that was more than capable of intensifying in its own right as it encountered the relatively warmer sea's on its journey southeastwards. :)

Tabloids have a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

I remember first asking MT whether he would be interested in commenting on boards.ie. At the time he said "no" basically. But I did say that this was a fantastic forum with very enthusiastic people on it and it did not take him long to change his mind because I think we are all so interested and excited by the weather. I think it is wonderful to have MT giving forecasts here. In fact he put alot of us out of work because he does it daily. So not much point in trying to compete with that. He has transformed the forum from that respect so now, often, if I or others post a thread it must be for something unusual (strong wind, snow, heat etc). But he is a fantastic forecaster and a very nice person aswell. Thanks for all your input and effort on here MT. It does not go unnoticed.:)

Advertisement