Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Household Tax - Boycott

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

JustinDee wrote: »
    Yes, it was utterly presumptuous tosh from you. You know zip about my family and myself. That's why.
    Who is poor? Who is rich?
    I rest my case

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Can we leave the personal posts aside. Nobody has anyway of knowing a persons background unless they've volunteered information, so it is frowned upon to make such presumptions because well, you end up with off topic, pointless back and forth tennis.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I'm on Social welfare at the moment which will hopefully change soon enough. But anyway i have now payed my housing charge as I own my own house, and I have to say I am still paying many bills, have 2 kids and am struggling a bit at the moment, and have been for a while now.

But in all fairness this country is in a mess and this money is going to have to be found somewhere, so out of the generous social welfare this state provides for us all I decided to pay my tax back.

What gets me that so many other people refuse to pay, where the vast majority of them must be better off financially than I am at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Not condoning this, but I have heard it is possible to register properties using a false PPS number and false details. If so, then how many may have done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

djpbarry wrote: »
    I agree fully that its lower to middle working people who have always and under the current goverment will always pay.
    How'd you figure that exactly? Someone working full-time in a minimum wage job in Ireland will pay just 3.4% of their income in tax.

And how much in prsi and USC , bur that's not tax so don't count it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

rasper wrote: »
    And how much in prsi and USC , bur that's not tax so don't count it
    I'm including all deductions from gross income. Prior to the introduction of the USC, someone on the minimum wage would have paid virtually nothing in tax/social insurance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I'm on Social welfare at the moment which will hopefully change soon enough. But anyway i have now payed my housing charge as I own my own house, and I have to say I am still paying many bills, have 2 kids and am struggling a bit at the moment, and have been for a while now.

But in all fairness this country is in a mess and this money is going to have to be found somewhere, so out of the generous social welfare this state provides for us all I decided to pay my tax back.

What gets me that so many other people refuse to pay, where the vast majority of them must be better off financially than I am at the moment...

Well said.

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Not condoning this, but I have heard it is possible to register properties using a false PPS number and false details. If so, then how many may have done this?
    I presume its possible to make a deliberate error or even register someone elses property or even non existent property to screw up the system, because you are in effect creating the actual database.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Then they don't own them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Icepick wrote: »
    Then they you don't own them.
    How so?

Paying the property tax with a false PPS number (I would say it would be better to decline to offer your PPS number altogether) obviously does not alter the title of the property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

later12 wrote: »
    How so?

Paying the property tax with a false PPS number (I would say it would be better to decline to offer your PPS number altogether) obviously does not alter the title of the property.
    I wasn't talking about the property tax.

later12 wrote: »
    How so?

There was some genuine confusion as to whether one could register online without entering a pps no. According to the LGMA's Paul McSweeney speaking to PK on radio a couple of weeks ago, one could register without a PPS no, however afterwards a show researcher was unable to register without a PPS on foot of a foreign listner contacting the show to say that they had NO PPS no to start with...........

It must be possible to circumvent on a paper application with a mix of guile and bad handwriting.

Icepick wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about the property tax.

Thats what we're on about here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nip102

50% paid household charge? Yeah right government propaganda to apply false peer pressure, more like 25% if they say 50%. Let the protest continue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

nip102 wrote: »
    50% paid household charge? Yeah right government propaganda to apply false peer pressure, more like 25% if they say 50%. Let the protest continue!

More likely 30% registered for an exemption before you can even start counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

This is just the beginning of broadening the tax base. Despite the many unforeseen difficulties by a government preoccupied with so many other issues this is a relative success in introducing a revenue source which is already established in so many other mature democracies.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The real bullies are the politicians who refused to help anxious constituents who for one reason or another wanted to register for either a waiver or pay the new household charge.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    This is just the beginning of broadening the tax base. Despite the many unforeseen difficulties by a government preoccupied with so many other issues this is a relative success in introducing a revenue source which is already established in so many other mature democracies.

They should try some other salient features of mature democracies and jail the previous government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

psychward wrote: »
    They should try some other salient features of mature democracies and jail the previous government.

Interesting point.
    i'd have thought that jailing the previous government is almost anti-democracy, as it just leads to tit-for-tat reprisals until eventually some government decides that spending the next X years on trial isn't really their thing and that government-for-life-by-any-means-necesssary is the way to go?

Accepting that the previous government did things different but that they had a mandate at the time is surely the sign of a 'mature democracy'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you just pulled these figures out of the air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 nip102

dvpower wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you just pulled these figures out of the air?

Completely, is that not where government got 50% paid, massaging stats.

Interesting point.
    i'd have thought that jailing the previous government is almost anti-democracy, as it just leads to tit-for-tat reprisals until eventually some government decides that spending the next X years on trial isn't really their thing and that government-for-life-by-any-means-necesssary is the way to go?

Accepting that the previous government did things different but that they had a mandate at the time is surely the sign of a 'mature democracy'?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0328/1224314008364.html

A snippet from the Irish Times:
    The reality is that the Garda Síochána has almost always seen itself in a hands-off position regarding the political establishment and, in particular, to whatever party may be in power. A garda would intrude into what has been regarded traditionally as the preserve of the politicians at their peril.

Do the same things as a politician but not be a politician and see how long you would last. We don't have this mythical ''mature democracy'' spoken about and we won't until we do what the French did and Guillotine the scumbags who raped the state and now walk around with smirks on their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

dvpower wrote: »

Can we get any sources or references for the 25% or 30%? If people are actually picking figures out of the air, it really lowers the standards and the thread just looks like conspiracy loony rantings about "Government propaganda".

If the Government are massaging the stats, that is fair enough, but back it up with a reference or do some sums to show us where you are getting these figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my deeds are in 2 names the household charge does not allow me to register correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Can we get any sources or references for the 25% or 30%? If people are actually picking figures out of the air, it really lowers the standards and the thread just looks like conspiracy loony rantings about "Government propaganda".

If the Government are massaging the stats, that is fair enough, but back it up with a reference or do some sums to show us where you are getting these figures.
    The 25% and 30% figures are clearly just makey up. The government figure of something in the early to mid 50s was based on census based figures that put the number of liable households at 1.57m.
    Whatever about the accuracy of that figure, its fairly certain that the true figure is in the 50% region.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Maybe we should also the jail the people who repeatedly elected them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

meglome wrote: »
    Maybe we should also the jail the people who repeatedly elected them.
    yes a f.g led administration permantently in place would be an ideal solution. at least they would bring the unemployment rate down to zero. admittedly by halfing the population. there jobs iniative was agreat sucess. its just a pity they didnt admit it would be in a different country. i expect there next move to be discounted aerlingus tickets for anybody leaving the country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I was being a little sarcastic as people seem to forget how Fianna Fail got into government. So if we're going to imprison the last government for doing pretty much what they told us they'd do perhaps we should hold those who gave them power responsible too.
    yes a f.g led administration permantently in place would be an ideal solution. at least they would bring the unemployment rate down to zero. admittedly by halfing the population. there jobs iniative was agreat sucess. its just a pity they didnt admit it would be in a different country. i expect there next move to be discounted aerlingus tickets for anybody leaving the country

Not sure I get the point of this.

meglome wrote: »
    I was being a little sarcastic as people seem to forget how Fianna Fail got into government. So if we're going to imprison the last government for doing pretty much what they told us they'd do perhaps we should hold those who gave them power responsible too.

Not sure I get the point of this.

Excrement. No party ran on a platform of corruption and bankrupting the country. They at least made the effort to lie about it. Then until brought to court the FF government denied people in Donegal the right to elect a TD. The courts had to force them to do this one thing they were always obligated to do. They kept a dead mans grip onto power even though they were highly unpopular for the last few years of their incompetent economically illiterate administration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

No party ran on a platform of corruption and bankrupting the country.
    FF ran on a platform of less taxing, more spending, which would inevitably leave the country in a mess once the property bubble burst. But of course, nobody wanted to believe that the value of their property would do anything other than climb inexorably upward, even though every economist with half a brain was screaming for years that the Irish property market was over-heated.

Advertisement