Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shepherd names...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

For a GSD I'd probably go for something like Borusa, Sigma or Drax. But as I said earlier, I'm a huge Doctor Who nerd.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

How about Schafer then? Short for Deutscher Shaferhund, or Shay for short. I name most of my pets in japanese so how about something like Kai (large), Kaen (blaze), Ryoku (strength), Yuuki (courage), Keii (honour), Kurai (nobility)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

When we had GSD's, we had a Cyrus and a Caesar. We've also had a Homer. I was in college at the time and was full of my English lit learnings! Now that I am no longer a student, we have Jack and Rosie from Doctor Who, and then there's Meg because I just liked the name.

My uncle's GSD's over the years have been named Earl, Duke, Princess, Queenie and Countess. He's either a closet Royalist or he sees an aristocratic strain in his dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I called my dog Titan, maybe instead of kaiser you could call him King:D or Major. Or because he is a GERMAN Shepard may call him Uber.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Shanao wrote: »
    Rommel or Bismarck.

Would that not be better for a pet fox as Rommel was nicknamed the "desert fox"

OP, why not call the dog something ironic like "tiny" or "baldie"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

We'd a Shepherd named 'Bismarck' when I was a kid and I've always said I'd if I ever got a male GSD his name would be 'Bismarck'.

A brilliant name for a Shepherd IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Kojak wrote: »
    Would that not be better for a pet fox as Rommel was nicknamed the "desert fox"

OP, why not call the dog something ironic like "tiny" or "baldie"

Hahahaha I know he wouldnt get a complex about it but I think I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Dogs respond better when there name ends in a vowel .
    Heres a few gsds i've come across with great names , Zamp (the ultimate gsd) Axel , Solo (my fav) , Nero , Hero , Ollie , Ulber , Diego , Kobe , Kai , Esko.
    Best of luck picking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I would just shorten Kaiser to Kai - and it rhymes with Vai :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Oh, Smokey is such a cute name! I like two syllable names for dogs - it's nice when you're calling for them. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Well folks thanks for all the suggestions. I was hoping to be posting pics of him in the post your pet pic thread today but unfortunately it didnt work out. There were many factors and the dog was not to blame. I blame myself totally but Im not gonna get into the details as Im in no mood for a discussion on the subject. The main thing is he bit my OH twice (when I wasnt in the room) in the 2 days we had him. He also tried to attack my terrier (a few times) and then my GSD when she tried to defend the terrier. He was 35kg, slightly underweight for his size but still pretty scary to both my OH and my dogs.

Again, I dont blame the dog, there are steps I could have taken to stop it. I know I did some things right because he really took to me from the off but as u can imagine I need to take care of my 2 dogs and my OH before all else.

Im still in bits thinking about it but he will go to a good home. The family who are rehoming him are friends of my OH so we dropped him back to them as they had 2 other people interested in him. He goes back to them a better dog, properly groomed by my OH (you could make another GSD out of the hair and mats she brushed and cut out of him) and leash trained by myself so theres a slight positive to it at least. Ive told them that if they cant find him a home I will try again because I fell in the love with the dog even with the problems we had with him.

Anyway thanks again for your suggestions and heres hoping I get to use them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Oh thats an awful pity Vai. We took on an older GSD once and it was very hard for him from the start too. we were able to persevere as it was only us, we did not have other dogs in the equation at that time or people!

hopefully you will get the right dog soon and at least you know where this guy is gone too and that he will have a good home.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Sorry Vai, its a shame it didn't work out with you and Steve ;) well done to you and your OH for trying.

Advertisement