Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shepherd names...

Options
  • 26-07-2011 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

So Im getting a long haired male GSD tomorrow. Glutton for punishment I know ;)

Problem is, his name is Kaiser. Now my problem with that is, everyone who has a male GSD seems to call it Kaiser. Ive already met 2 called Kaiser. So I want something different for the poor chap. Ive googled it and had a look at a few sites but they seem to be very same-y.

My own favourites so far are, Vai (after my favourite guitarist), Bach (after both Johann Sebastian and 80's rocker Sebastian Bach), Nic (short for Niccolo Paganini) and Smokey (coz he looks like a bear).

So any ideas folks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There are no rules to what you call him, and I like the ones you've listed. It can be very difficult to think of a name for pets because there are no 'rules' like there are for naming children.

My dogs are named after Doctor Who characters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

kylith wrote: »
    There are no rules to what you call him, and I like the ones you've listed. It can be very difficult to think of a name for pets because there are no 'rules' like there are for naming children.

Oh I know theres no rules, thats why I dont wanna call him after half the other GSDs in the country. No offence by the way, to anyone who has a Kaiser at home.
    kylith wrote: »
    My dogs are named after Doctor Who characters :D

And I thought my musical references were nerdy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I like Bach :D

Any pics?

None yet TillyGirl, only saw him myself for the first time yesterday. The family who are rehoming him have some pics on their Facebook page but Im not a Facebook user. Will post some soon as possible though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

He sounds lovely, I love GSDs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

What about Axel? Both musical and German:o

TillyGirl wrote: »
    He sounds lovely, I love GSDs!

Oh me too, by far and away my favourite breed. Thats why this will be my 2nd!

Brilliant! Thats goin on the list my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I think everyone who loves dogs loves GSD's. They are by far the coolest looking out there too!

This coming from an owner of 2 Lab Staff crosses by the way.

And mine are named after NCIS Characters, so it seems nerdiness is a bit of a prerequisite for dogs!! :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

We have a long haired white GSD who we called Ghost, after the white direwolf character in the Song of Ice and Fire books by George RR Martin (A Game of Thrones tv series is made from his first book in that series)

Thats a great name for a white GSD. Nerdy but great! ;)

Im liking the look of Cana (wolf cub), Maccon (son of a wolf) or Asna (musical sound) now.So many names!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

**Vai** wrote: »
    Thats a great name for a white GSD. Nerdy but great! ;)

Im liking the look of Cana (wolf cub) or Asna (musical sound) now.So many names!

Yes I'm afraid our nerdiness abounds in our house(take user name for prime example, LOTR nerdiness!)!:o

Buuut if you have a series of books/movies you like then pick a cool name from that.

Cana is cool too though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I love GSDs too def the best breed ;) HaHa I show and compete in obedience trials with mine!! i Know a guy with a GSD named Axel haha ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Because we didn't know our neighbours dogs names we called them Gibbs, vance and Abby.. funny cos now if they come over they answer to it! Go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Just to throw a few of my own musical taste names at you ;)
    Izzy, Iggy, Bowie, Ozzy, Kurt, Chili, Rory, Hendrix (my mate named his lab this suits him to the ground haha), Duff, Bruce, Boss, Jacko, Tyler, Lennon, Ringo, Angus, Elvis (my uncle had a gsd named after the king!) oh King haha, Prince, Dylan, Page

Thats all I can think of off top of me head hop it helps haha :)

gregers85 wrote: »
    Just to throw a few of my own musical taste names at you ;)
    Izzy, Iggy, Bowie, Ozzy, Kurt, Chili, Rory, Hendrix (my mate named his lab this suits him to the ground haha), Duff, Bruce, Boss, Jacko, Tyler, Lennon, Ringo, Angus, Elvis (my uncle had a gsd named after the king!) oh King haha, Prince, Dylan, Page

Thats all I can think of off top of me head hop it helps haha :)

You and me have quite similar musical taste from the look of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Ozzy is a deadly name for a long haired gsd:)

Klaus (Scorpions Lead singer? - German Band?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah I love the long haired gsds!! Can I ask thou - how long would it take for the dog to learn his new name?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Because we didn't know our neighbours dogs names we called them Gibbs, vance and Abby.. funny cos now if they come over they answer to it! Go figure!

More NCIS mutts!!

Mine are Gibbs and Abby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Bob!

tk123 wrote: »
    Ah I love the long haired gsds!! Can I ask thou - how long would it take for the dog to learn his new name?!

Not long if any time at all. They pick it up faster than us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

So after your username and musical taste may I suggest calling the new arrival "Steve"? Awesome, I know. Steve the GSD.

Congrats btw buddy, well done for taking him and best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Gunther! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Rommel or Bismarck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

adser53 wrote: »
    So after your username and musical taste may I suggest calling the new arrival "Steve"? Awesome, I know. Steve the GSD.

Congrats btw buddy, well done for taking him and best of luck
    My OH knows a guy with a dog called Stephen. Apparently he sees nothing unusual about it. My brother has a dog called Mary, apparently that's what happens when you let your three year old pick names.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I knew a small boy that named his cat Broccoli after his favourite veggie:D

I know someone that always named their shepherds after famous shepherds, David, Moses, Mary(had a little lamb), and Jock (Greyfriars Bobby). Most recent is a girl called Sarah(any terry pratchett fans out there?) and a boy called Arthur (from babe).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Blaze - that's all I've got I'm afraid!

Shanao wrote: »
    Rommel or Bismarck.

Friend of mine has a rottie called Rommel so thats that screwed! Im not big into the whole German war names thing anyway tbh, part of the reason I dont like Kaiser.

Gunther! :D

Thats only one slight mispronunciation away from me gettin a slap :D

Blaze - that's all I've got I'm afraid!

I like it but it just reminds me of the crap singer from Iron Maiden :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Call him Jesus, he was the ultimate shepherd! but pronounce it "Hay Zeus" as the Spanish do.

Advertisement