Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Collection That dare not Speak Its Name

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

JagdTiger - you have the bling bling collection.

No shabby medals for you - all Luftwaffe clasps, 1813 Iron Cross, and Kriegsmarine Destroyer badges :eek:

And a cloth German Cross - never seen one of them yet.

Cheers HerrScheisse

I wish it was an 1813 Iron Cross, sadly it's just a '57 Knights Cross (which I also wish was an '39 KC) filling up all that empty space under 1813...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Why not post them up - if not on this thread, then another? I'm sure lots on here are interested to see them.

Might have to figure out how to use the camera right, is there a knack to photographing medals? My photos don't come out as good as the ones here.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭MedalFuhrer

kowloon wrote: »
    Might have to figure out how to use the camera right, is there a knack to photographing medals? My photos don't come out as good as the ones here.

Yes medals are quite hard to photograph. Don't go into close with the camera. I keep the camera a bit out and then trim off the excess part of the photo with editing software. Also photograph them in the day time so you don't need to use the flash. Unless you have an external flash/ DSLR camera etc.

Nice collection! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just posted this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73546677&postcount=125 something to go with all the medals perchance? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

danpatjoe wrote: »
    And sure, while we're at it, here's most of mine :D

100_3971.jpg

Not bad for a start:D

Just kidding! Amazing set of EKs. What makers to you have regarding WW1 crosses...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

phaethon wrote: »
    ....What makers to you have regarding WW1 crosses...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words. ;)

The 1939 crosses are all different makers - most (if not all) of the known PKZ numbers are there, as well as some of the rarer variants.

The Imperial crosses are (as memory serves, but I may have missed some):

1870:

A-type with 25 year spange (combatant)
    A-type (combatant)
    A-type (non-combatant)

I'm also eagerly waiting on the delivery of an 1870 B-type with Jubiläumsbandspange (25th Anniversary spange) and (a questionable) Weiderholungsspange (1914 bar to the 1870 cross) :D

1914:

KO (with 1939 L/11 spange)
    KO (x2 mounted)
    G
    MFH
    Fr.
    Fr.
    WILM
    CD 800
    KAG
    S-W
    WS
    Unmarked one piece (Otto Schickle?)

&

this unusual oddity - a solid brass EK with very unusual features - the crown appears to be the French Napoleonic crown and the dates and oakleaves are very small in comparison to a standard EK.
    Stephen Previtera shows one very similar in "The Iron Time" and comments that it may have been a propaganda piece.
    Whatever it is, I like having it, purely as an unusual EK related puzzle.

(Apologies for the badly lit, yellow hue photographs)

100_3994.jpg

100_3995.jpg

And the page from 'The Iron Time':

100_3996.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments, and it's great to see all the collections being posted here. Keep them coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Again, amazing stuff what you have there!;)

As a new imperial collector, I have always wanted to get an example 1870 2nd class and 1914 1st and 2nd class but because they are always in the market, haven't bothered. However I love to follow up EK study threads on the forums and admire all these beutiful EK focused collections - just stunning award!

Thanks for sheering!:cool:

The Soviet equivalent of the German motherhood crosses: The Order of Maternal Glory, classes I, II and III. There are medals below these which I'll have to fish out. Still haven't figured out how to get the camera right, need to find the manual.

168973.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Yes medals are quite hard to photograph. Don't go into close with the camera. I keep the camera a bit out and then trim off the excess part of the photo with editing software. Also photograph them in the day time so you don't need to use the flash. Unless you have an external flash/ DSLR camera etc.

Nice collection! :)

Nice tip! I tried it!

Here is a close up of the wound badge in black with maker mark L/16.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

Definately going to figure out the camera tomorrow, it's become a matter of honour. :D

• Advertisement

And some close ups of the Sudetenland Medal:

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

kowloon wrote: »
    Definately going to figure out the camera tomorrow, it's become a matter of honour. :D

The Order of Motherhood picture worked quite well!

a) Italo-German Campaign Medal in Africa, an Italian award which was given
    to German soldiers who fought in North Africa.

b) Court mounted Sudetenland Medal with Prague Bar, court mounted 4 Year
    Long Service Medal Army/Navy.

c) General Assault Badge, retaining factory finish and paper rapper
    (A late-war piece which most likely never even left the factory.
    Possibly from one of the recent hoard finds).

Two more Soviet, very Soviet awards.

The Order of the Badge of Honour and the Order of Glory 3rd class

169159.JPG
    169160.JPG

Soviet Enameling looks sexy!

What would be a fair price for an Order of Glory 3rd class, I've being meaning to get one for a long time now?

Double post

Jagdtiger wrote: »
    Soviet Enameling looks sexy!

What would be a fair price for an Order of Glory 3rd class, I've being meaning to get one for a long time now?

I'm not entirely sure, I bought mine 6/7 years ago.
    They variation has a huge effect on the price, I've seen common variations on sale for under $100 and rarer ones for over $1000, for the 3rd class, but I haven't been shopping around.
    Some come with the research.

Orders of the Great Patriotic War 1st and 2nd class

169256.JPG

Very nice badges - I have a second class one but I later discovered it was part of the 40th Jubilee edition.

Very nice badges - I have a second class one but I later discovered it was part of the 40th Jubilee edition.

Both of the above are 1985 issues. I have older issues too but those one are shinier :D
    Only have screwbacks though, the rarer ones are the ones with the rectangle shaped suspension. Would love to pick up one but it's low on the list of priorities.
    Would like to finish off my collection of campaign medals first and I have a real itch to get myself an Iron Cross, have wanted one since I started collecting and this thread has only gone and made it worse.
    Danpatjoe, if you're interested I'll swap you that table of Iron Crosses for my highly prized 1939-1945 star. I'll even throw in a jiffy bag to keep it safe. ;)

• Advertisement

Not too many left to show now.

Some infantry Badges;

a) General Assault Badge, by maker Weidmann

b) Infantry Assault Badge in Silver, early hollow back badge made from Tombac, by maker BH Mayer. The silver finish has tarnished a lot since this photo was taken!

c) Infantry Assault Badge in Silver, heavy solid back badge made from zinc.

d) Close Combat Badge in Bronze, awarded for 15 days close combat in which a soldier had the opportunity to 'see the white of the enemy's eyes', use close combat weapons to assault the enemy and be victorious.

Hi JagdTiger - nice set!

Any chance to see the reverse sides of those items?

As requested, reverse shots of the above.

a) Reverse of Weidmann (ÜÜ) G.A.B.

b) Reverse of hollow back BH Mayer I.A.B.

c) Reverse of solid back I.A.B., unmarked

d) Reverse of Close Combat Clasp unmarked

e) Close ups of CCC catch and hinge

Medal for meritorious cooperation in the Olympic Games 1936.

I am fast running out of items to show, so here are some of the last!

a) Panzer Assault Badge in Silver (or at least it used to be, the zinc base metal is not great for retaining finishes!), maker marked A.S. in a triangle. The panzer badge was awarded to tank crews for taking part in three armoured assaults on three separate days.

b) Cased Flak Badge, a very nice early example made from nickle silver. This badge was awarded to anti-aircraft gun crews and was awarded based on a point system, 16 points being needed to earn the award.

2 points were given for downing an aircraft with the aid of other AA batteries or search lights, while 4 points were given for downing an aircraft without aid from other batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jim S

And sure, while we're at it, here's most of mine

That is an amazing collection of EK's. , Outstanding. :)

This week I happened upon this and bought it.

1934 Day of Work badge

Work Day/ Labour Day. Made from brass with a goofy yet scary looking mofo with blank dead eyes staring at you. These badges were handed out at the 1934 meetings for the 1 May festivities.

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

What's a Gold account and why do I need one to view the photographs?? :(

Never heard of or came across that before???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Never heard of or came across that before???

It was an April Fool's joke by boards.

Advertisement