Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving down there

Options
  • 22-07-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

What's the best brand of razor and shaving cream for using, any tips? I've never don it before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭fallen01angel

Don't shave,wax it!!!!Results are better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

you can shave it BUT you get the dreaded chicken skin look or at the very least a lot of stubble. youd get better results with some razors but it will still leave stubble after a few hours. no way near as satisfactory as a result that you get with a wax (or a home wax kit if you dare)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I wouldn't suggest shaving! You'll find it extremely uncomfortable. If waxing isn't your thing then hair removal cream is good, I like using veet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Asphyxia wrote: »
    I wouldn't suggest shaving! You'll find it extremely uncomfortable. If waxing isn't your thing then hair removal cream is good, I like using veet :D

ive tried all sorts of hair removal creams including veet - on my legs - and it never gets more than a few hairs on me. i wonder if - as pubic hair is so much more coarse and generally thicker - it'd work there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Veet for sensitive skin, and layer it on thick.
    Works all the time ;)

• Advertisement

Aishae wrote: »
    ive tried all sorts of hair removal creams including veet - on my legs - and it never gets more than a few hairs on me. i wonder if - as pubic hair is so much more coarse and generally thicker - it'd work there?

This might sound really gross but considering we're all ladies here I hope it doesn't disgust anyone but before you put on the cream would you consider trimming your hair with a scissors? I agree with Snoopy though a good thick layer and then leaving it for the maximum time always works for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Don't use veet or any of those hair removal creams down there and most certainly do not shave!!! It is not good for growth (it can make it come back worse) and it can be quite irritating to sensitive skin.

Waxing is the only way to go.

Otherwise like Asphyxia said, trim the longer hairs with a scissors!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Veet for sensitive skin, and layer it on thick.
    Works all the time ;)

Everyone in F&A is always saying that's a bad bad idea, does it really not react badly for ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

bluewolf wrote: »
    Everyone in F&A is always saying that's a bad bad idea, does it really not react badly for ye?

I dunno if they've brought out down there cream but even then I wouldnt
    regular Veet definately isn't good for your vaginal area.

Why does everyone feel the need to be semi bald down there nothing wrong with everything being trim... well apparently I guess there is :rolleyes:

Oh! I don't just use any old one removal cream, this is what I use...

http://www.boots.com/en/Veet-Bikini-Kit-Hair-Removal-and-Gentle-Finishing-Cream_1570/

It's the Veet Bikini and underarm kit it comes with hair removal cream a finishing cream as well which you apply afterwards. I do agree with Bluewolf, make sure if you are using a cream that it's meant to be in that region.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Villette

Although I agree waxing is the way to go, I can't really afford it!
    Trimming and Veet works fine for me - Veet for sensitive skin, and most bottles say suitable for undearm and bikini I think anyway.
    You don't get the hard stubble from shaving, it grows back soft and sparser. I use an aloe vera cream or gel afterwards so I never get any rash/bumps/ingrown hairs.
    I would like to clarify though that I don't take everything off, that probably would result in pain! But you can do enough to just get a small landing strip.....to be honest I prefer that to the weird bald look!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oh! I don't just use any old one removal cream, this is what I use...

http://www.boots.com/en/Veet-Bikini-Kit-Hair-Removal-and-Gentle-Finishing-Cream_1570/

It's the Veet Bikini and underarm kit it comes with hair removal cream a finishing cream as well which you apply afterwards. I do agree with Bluewolf, make sure if you are using a cream that it's meant to be in that region.

I'm laughing that all the reviews are so bad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Well not to get too graphic, but that bikini line stuff is for just that - the areas along the outline of the bikini. Not anything closer to any more sensitive areas. And it can be frustrating to have to wait and wait or even have to redo it, even on the areas for which it is intended, so I wouldn't use it at all.

I've always preferred shaving, myself. I prefer nuisance to pain I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackiexx

ye i find veet is very good and painless which is always a plus:)

I'm laughing that all the reviews are so bad!!

Everyone is different, in my opinion I find it great and painless :) It wont hurt to give it a try though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Waxing is definitely the way to go in my opinion. I wouldn't go near down there with a razor or all those chemicals in hair removal creams :eek:

If I can't afford a wax (/put up with the pain) I just trim.

If you only want to do a bikini wax then it's relatively easy to do with a home waxing kit.

Villette wrote: »
    I use an aloe vera cream or gel afterwards so I never get any rash/bumps/ingrown hairs.

any recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShizDink

http://cgi.ebay.ie/WILKINSON-SWORD-QUATTRO-WOMENS-RAZOR-BIKINI-TRIMMER-/190276544635

It has adjustable trimmer size with the lowest being nice and short. Using shaving foam with the other side, going with the grain of the hair, it tidies up the edges and is fine for the more sensitive bits when going bald. Leaves you fuzz free on a daily basis :D I tried creams, waxing and epilating. Creams are messy and stinky, waxing and epilating gave me ingrown hairs. Epilating that area should be reserved for your enemies only. Finding what works best for the thickness of your hair and skin will mean trying out them all. Gud luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rhubar

ShizDink wrote: »
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/WILKINSON-SWORD-QUATTRO-WOMENS-RAZOR-BIKINI-TRIMMER-/190276544635

It has adjustable trimmer size with the lowest being nice and short. Using shaving foam with the other side, going with the grain of the hair, it tidies up the edges and is fine for the more sensitive bits when going bald. Leaves you fuzz free on a daily basis :D I tried creams, waxing and epilating. Creams are messy and stinky, waxing and epilating gave me ingrown hairs. Epilating that area should be reserved for your enemies only. Finding what works best for the thickness of your hair and skin will mean trying out them all. Gud luck :)

See this is on Amazon for £6 and free delivery if you order over £25.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quattro-for-Women-Bikini-Razor/dp/B001UUXF1A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311448166&sr=8-3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Shaving or veet is fine, waxing is very expensive. You shave your legs, I really dont really see the big deal with it that everyone seems to be so horified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Villette

any recommendations

I bought an organic Aloe Vera gel in just a small chemist's for less than €5 and it's excellent. Found a photo of the bottle if that helpsGel_Aloe_200.gif
    Sorry it's so big!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I shave (everywhere :o) I don`t like hair - not sexy! Use small enough 3 blade razors and be careful which products you use, like use non-fragranced soap/shower gel or have heard people say conditioner or baby oil. Also great if you have somewhere to sit and if not be careful and go slowly.

-Girlies not everyone is suitable for waxing, if you have very dark course hair (like me unfortunetely) you can`t wax you`ll always have a second layer of hair. And some people (also like me :mad:) have sensitive skin and veet etc, even the sensitive ones, result in you having burns and not being fit to walk for a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

how painfull is waxing?? is it really bad?

ouch!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭anndub

I don't get the problem with shaving?! Just make sure to change the blade regularly. Also, after awhile the skin will get used to it and you won't suffer rash/bumps any more. In the mean time use an Aloe Vera gel like others have recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I don't get the waxing. I may be wrong, but don't you have to leave it 'till you have a bit of regrowth before you can get waxed again?

I find shaving works for me. I use the Venus brand and it does the trick. Smooth!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tdaly

saa wrote: »
    Why does everyone feel the need to be semi bald down there nothing wrong with everything being trim... well apparently I guess there is :rolleyes:

I've never done it before, just giving it a go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I personally prefer being waxed as I hate having anything in that region. HATE.

However, if waxing isn't an option for you, I'd personally recommend shaving to using a cream. An ex friend of mine got very badly burned (on a very sensitive area) whilst using the cream, and realistically it's doing the same job as shaving, as it's not removing the hair from the root, it's just removing the surface hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Tea Cup

WAX!!! Espically if its your first time, It will look a lot better and if you keep up the waxing then the re-growth time will be long and longer each visit. It might seam expensive in the short term but you'll get your moneys worth, or lazer is also an option. Again expensive but it will save you time and money in the long run!

I'd advise you to stay away from the creams and shaving, trim if you really dont want to wax, but if you do pick up a razor use hair conditioner instead of shaving foam its much better on the hair and can prevent ingrown hairs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I used to shave and had terrible results. So much irritation. Kept waiting for my skin to get used to it but after shaving about 3 times a week for about 6 months I had enough! Now I get a hollywood wax every 4 or 5 weeks and it is so much better! Couldnt get waxed last month when I was due and shaved instead and it was awful. My waxer was so mad when I went in last week then and made me promise never to shave again. Get a really good waxer.

If you think you can't afford waxing then don't shave it at all. Once you start the hair will grow back really course and you will have to shave it again. It will also be really itchy if you try to grow it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I used to shave and had terrible results. So much irritation. Kept waiting for my skin to get used to it but after shaving about 3 times a week for about 6 months I had enough! Now I get a hollywood wax every 4 or 5 weeks and it is so much better! Couldnt get waxed last month when I was due and shaved instead and it was awful. My waxer was so mad when I went in last week then and made me promise never to shave again. Get a really good waxer.

If you think you can't afford waxing then don't shave it at all. Once you start the hair will grow back really course and you will have to shave it again. It will also be really itchy if you try to grow it out.

Ok thats your experience but everyone is different. My hair doesn`t grow back any coarser and I certainly don`t get itchy!

And of course your waxer said that she wants you paying her to get waxes.

Can they take everything thou with waxing, is that what they do if you know what I mean? There would need ot be a lot of "close contact" to remove "everything". I`ve always wondered so if any of you who wax could tell me at least I`d know thats if you can work out what the hell I mean!

Advertisement