Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you drink when all they have is Bud Heino etc

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ah, I wasn't counting Pint Bottles of Guinness.
    If they're there, I'll have that but then the endless dilemma of shelf (too warm in most pubs) or fridge (too cold).:confused:
    I enjoy the occasional pint of Guinness, but must confess to never having had a Pint bottle of Guinness. Are they better than the product on draught?
    Can you please explain the difference?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's not nitrogenated like draught is so there's more flavour and aroma to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I enjoy the occasional pint of Guinness, but must confess to never having had a Pint bottle of Guinness. Are they better than the product on draught?
    BeerNut wrote: »

Krusty, pint botles of guinness are a completely different drink to Pints of the stuff.

Firstly, the pint bottle feels different in your mouth, for want of a better description, it feels more "largery" than the pints of guinness (this is indeed because it is not nitrogenated as BeerNut says).

The pint bottles have a different flavour too, and taste differently depending on the temperature you get them at, you'll find a lot of people drink them "Off the shelf" so they aren't as cold as bottles from a fridge, which can be fairly tasteless if they are very cold. My grandfather used to stick a hot poker into his pint bottles to warm them up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Des wrote: »
    Krusty, pint botles of guinness are a completely different drink to Pints of the stuff.

Firstly, the pint bottle feels different in your mouth, for want of a better description, it feels more "largery" than the pints of guinness (this is indeed because it is not nitrogenated as BeerNut says).

The pint bottles have a different flavour too, and taste differently depending on the temperature you get them at, you'll find a lot of people drink them "Off the shelf" so they aren't as cold as bottles from a fridge, which can be fairly tasteless if they are very cold. My grandfather used to stick a hot poker into his pint bottles to warm them up. :)

I love it! I live in an apartment without a fireplace so I might try sticking a hot fluorescent light tube in me Guinness bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

My grandfather used to stick a hot poker into his pint bottles to warm them up. :)

actually when you say that I remember my grandfather used always leave the bottles sitting on the range... I was only a wee lad so I'd never have had the brains to think he was warming it up :o

must give that a go sometime to see what it's like.... there must be some method in the madness...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭marketty

bear-grylls-meme-generator-all-they-have-is-bud-better-drink-my-own-piss-732805.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Typically I'd go for Guinness, mainly because many pubs don't have Murphy's or Beamish.
    If I don't want a stout, then I'd settle for something like Becks.
    I was out on Friday night and felt like crying because the alcohol selection was so dire.
    Guinness.... Smithwicks..... Heineken..... Bud..... Carlsberg and Becks.... that was pretty much all the pubs had. :(

EDIT: actually, one place had Peroni on tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Now that's an interesting thread.

I usually go for a Smithwicks. I'm actually amazed that the usual offer is Guinness, a couple of tasteless lagers, and Smithwicks. It's a very decent beer and I don't really get how people can chose Bud over that.

A few weeks ago I had a pint with a Irish friend of mine, and when he saw that I had ordered a Smithwicks, he raised an eyebrow and told me it's usually seen an "an old men's beer" (we're both in our 20s). Now I read that somme beer enthusiasts actually sort of enjoy it.

So I'm really wondering about how it's generally perceived. I'd never heard of it before coming to Ireland, but virtually every pub I walked into had it. In a similar vein, I've heard before something along the lines of "Beamish is the Munster stout because they can't afford Guinness there". It was meant as a joke, but I've since met people who do believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Aye, Smithwicks for me too usually, though someitmes Guinness.

Luckily in Belfast most decent pubs have some of the local brews in bottle if not in tap, so I'm not too badly off! Still miss the beers from English pubs though! :( Living in England completely spoiled the Irish drinking experience for me! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

If they had bud light on tap i'd drink that, though I don't like regular bud that much. Heineken is nice, when its cold.

Most beers are nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

if there wasn't much beer selection I'd usually go for a pint bottle of Bulmers.
    Failing that, bottles of Corona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

LaBaguette wrote: »

A few weeks ago I had a pint with a Irish friend of mine, and when he saw that I had ordered a Smithwicks, he raised an eyebrow and told me it's usually seen an "an old men's beer" (we're both in our 20s).

You'd want to see the fuss people kick up when a lad in his 20s orders a pint bottle of guinness, sometimes even the barmans jaw will hang open, it does turn you off ordering it a bit.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

BeerNut wrote: »

That was done, in the age before soft drinks and alcohol free beer, to get rid of most of the alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If they didn't have my usual tipple then I would opt for Heineken from the "Always available" choice.

I don't particularly like drinking the mass marketed brands, since I discovered the world of high quality beers, but when needs must I will drink Heineken.

I just don't think, anymore, that Heineken, Budweiser, Carlsberg etc are very good quality for the price they charge. For not much extra you can get a higher quality product IMO.

It's not snobbery nor some type of street cred thing about which glass I hold. It's about what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Smithwicks in most pubs with crap selection... In most pubs so :P
    If I'm in a decent establishment, I'll try a few I've not had before / don't remember having tasted, but I'll usually settle on Blue Moon before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Smithwicks or a stout for me too.....More and more bars seem to be offering some decent craft beers in bottles now, so if i cant see anything good on tap i'll ask what they have in bottles. Typically though, I tend not to go to bars that only offer the usuals like Heineken and Carlsberg
    Our attitude is to beer is quite odd. I remember years ago myself thinking Smithwicks was an old mans drink, but I have no idea where that perception came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If I'm stuck, I'd go for a large bottle of Guinness from the shelf. At least it actually tastes of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

Tigger wrote: »
    Just wondering what do you drink when there is nothing avalible but the mass market stuff?

.....which is 95% of pubs.....Vitamin H it is......can someone recommend a pub in town that has an alternative selection of draught or bottled goodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Assuming you mean Dublin, you've got L.Mulligans, The Porterhouse (2 of them), Bull & Castle, Messrs', The Twisted Pepper, Sín É, Against The Grain, Foggy Dew and The Cobblestone. And I'm probably missing quite a few from there too.

If you've a smartphone, have a look for Beoirfinder, it's incredibly handy.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Assuming you mean Dublin, you've got L.Mulligans, The Porterhouse (2 of them), Bull & Castle, Messrs', The Twisted Pepper, Sín É, Against The Grain, Foggy Dew and The Cobblestone. And I'm probably missing quite a few from there too.

If you've a smartphone, have a look for Beoirfinder, it's incredibly handy.

Nice one, that's a crawl just waiting to happen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

The Orb wrote: »
    .....which is 95% of pubs.....Vitamin H it is......can someone recommend a pub in town that has an alternative selection of draught or bottled goodies?

This will help find somewhere near you http://www.beoir.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&Itemid=69

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    This will help find somewhere near you http://www.beoir.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&Itemid=69

Nice one ,thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

One of the few things I am willing to be called a snob about is the beer I drink. I would rather not drink than have to endure a budweiser, it's the only beer (besides bud light) that I won't drink even if it's free.

I generally go Beamish>Murphys>Guinness>Double Vodka's in "normal" bars. If I'm in a place with a nice selection of Eastern European I'll go Grolsch or Tyskie,

I'll drink Heineken/Carlsberg if it's free or I'm drunk and don't want a stout or vodka, but I'd prefer a Becks. They are pretty similar in tastelessness to me either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

The older I get the less likely I am to drink beer just for the sake of having a drink. If I'm not going to enjoy it, what's the point? I would rather have a GnT or a glass of wine, if there's something palatable. I have been know to drink soda-water and lime rather than indulging in "empty ethanol", as I call drinking something just to have a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Disaster struck on the weekly beer grocery shop today, the local Dunnes has gone into Christmas mode a month early :mad: and the Tyskies, Staropramens, Svyturys, Warsteiners, Nastro Azzurros, have disappeared to make way for wall-to-wall slabs of Miller, Heino, Bud, Carlsberg, etc. Only drinkable thing on sale was Guinness Extra Stout. Went to the local offy later and they'd been cleaned out of all the good stuff!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement