Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you drink when all they have is Bud Heino etc

Options
  • 22-07-2011 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what do you drink when there is nothing avalible but the mass market stuff?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I usually mix it up. Guinness one round, then Heineken, Carlsberg, Smithwicks. etc.

I'm a massive beer fan, but I'd hate to become a beer snob. And sometimes a cheap lager just hits the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Smithwicks.

The crazy thing is, I's starting to actually like it!!:eek:

Generally I avoid pubs without choice but I often travel with work and like to have a pint or two in the hotel and it does me at weddings and the like.

I'm glad they relaunched and rebranded Smithwick's a year or so ago cause a while back you'd not have found a Smithwick's tap in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

I smell a beer snob OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Smithwicks.

The crazy thing is, I's starting:eek: to actually like it!!

Generally avoid pubs without choice but I often travel with work and like to have a pint or two in the hotel.

me too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Budvar, have never being in a pub that at least didn't have that, if I was in one that didn't even have that it would be a glass of red wine or a G&T.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

Bud Ice cold..... If not always end of with Carlsberg

daddydick wrote: »
    I smell a beer snob OP?

i'm not a snob.i was at a party in a country pub last weekend and the wife was ment to be driving: i looked at the stuff on offer and told her she should have a drink because i couldnt be arsed.

Budvar, have never being in a pub that at least didn't have that, if I was in one that didn't even have that it would be a glass of red wine or a G&T.

come to the west

daddydick wrote: »
    I smell a beer snob OP?

Interesting that you consider avoiding pubs with no choice as snobbery, so a shop with only a few choices of goods or a restaurant with 3 things on the menu would presumably be ok with you too?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I nearly only ever drink Guiness or Heiniken.

:o

Unless I'm holiday or away somewhere then I try and get some local stuff. Tried a view differenet varities of Cotswolds Bitter the other week. Twas good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

I ask for pint bottles of guinness, if they don't have that beamish, then guinness. Ocassionally I can drink a few pints of heineken but only under protes t& a very hot day.
    Was out in cork last weekend with my wife, went to disco & someone bought us 2 pints of bud, I tried to drink mine (be rude not too) but my wife handed hers back saying "I'll never be that drunk".

Tigger wrote: »
    come to the west

Was in Galway a few weeks ago had some great beers in The Bierhaus also in Cork, Dublin isn't the only place with good choices of proper beer.

i live in mayo, you said that you'd not seen a pub without budvar. well i'd be surprised to see it in mayo

Tigger wrote: »
    i live in mayo, you said that you'd not seen a pub without budvar. well i'd be surprised to see it in mayo

Fair enough mate, I haven't been in Mayo in about 5 years so I'll defer to you on that, on a positive note there are around 40 beers and ciders produced by Irish microbreweries so its only a matter of time before they spread out around the Country hopefully, though I find Irish people very conservative, if a beer isn't attached to a sport or on telly ads all the time people don't think its any good. I like strong flavored, hoppy beers and ales which none of the big breweries make (or make available at least, one of the nicest beers ever is Guinness Foreign Extra which I've never seen in pubs) if they did I'd drink them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I used to normally have Heineken, but have found that I can get bored of it after a few pints now. I also don't like the extra cold taps that some pubs are putting in.

If not Heineken I'd have Smithwicks or very occasionally Guinness

Fair enough mate, I haven't been in Mayo in about 5 years so I'll defer to you on that, on a positive note there are around 40 beers and ciders produced by Irish microbreweries so its only a matter of time before they spread out around the Country hopefully, though I find Irish people very conservative, if a beer isn't attached to a sport or on telly ads all the time people don't think its any good. I like strong flavored, hoppy beers and ales which none of the big breweries make (or make available at least, one of the nicest beers ever is Guinness Foreign Extra which I've never seen in pubs) if they did I'd drink them.
    Guinness foreign extra is lovely however is not gonna be around anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

More and more pubs have pint bottles of Guinness, failing that, and if the only option is "the usuals" I drink Smithwick's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

Des wrote: »
    More and more pubs have pint bottles of Guinness, failing that, and if the only option is "the usuals" I drink Smithwick's

unlucky

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

I'll usually just have a pint of stout, Beamish being the first choice (although I don't know of a Kilkenny pub that sells it, so usually Guinness) or Smithwicks to mix it up. I'll rarely have a lager, if I'm paying the guts of €5 for a drink I'd like to at least taste something. But I usually try and steer things to the one pub in the town that sells decent beers.

Am I considered a beer snob?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Pints bottles of Guinness, pint bottle of Smithwicks, draught Smithwicks, Heineken (in that order).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

one of the nicest beers ever is Guinness Foreign Extra which I've never seen in pubs
    The Village on Wexford Street in Dublin stocks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Pint bottles of Guinness:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ah, I wasn't counting Pint Bottles of Guinness.
    If they're there, I'll have that but then the endless dilemma of shelf (too warm in most pubs) or fridge (too cold).:confused:
    I'll sometimes mix shelf and fridge if I have a willing partner or else have one from the fridge and suffer it cold but ask the server to take a few out of the fridge to warm up a bit if I'm staying for a few.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Village on Wexford Street in Dublin stocks it.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If I'm honest, I'd be more inclined to get some whiskey, gin or rum instead if all they had was the usual dull names on tap. I haven't seen a pub that didn't stock a decent brand of at least one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

If there's nothing else I'll have a stout; Beamish then Murphys then Guinness in order of preference. It usually ends up being Guinness :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Smithwicks has really grown on me lately so probably that... either that or Guinness.. really just depends on the mood...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Sarky wrote: »
    If I'm honest, I'd be more inclined to get some whiskey, gin or rum instead if all they had was the usual dull names on tap. I haven't seen a pub that didn't stock a decent brand of at least one of those.

Agreed, but sadly in England, in many bars the choices of Whiskey are Jack Daniels or none at all. No Irish or Scotch whiskeys at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Budvar? Seriously I would rather just eat a loaf of bread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Guinness.

Which can leave me badly stung in the summer as I really dislike Bud, Carlsberg, Heino, etc and can't drink cider.

Advertisement