Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Many Units Do You Consume?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't go out for that night that often anymore, instead opting for a few cold beverages indoor during the week.

Nothing like relaxing down at night to a movie / game and a cold beer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭spunk_monkey

No intention to change that either.

This week I have drank about 50ish? Bottle of rum, about 12 cans and a few "mixes". Before you call me out, Im a unemployed student with as sad as it seems, nothing else to do in the nighttime.

You two should swap user names:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Hmm, had a beer after work on Monday and 4 pints in the pub on wednesday night so that's 10 units so far. Will probably have about 6 cans playing a game of cards tonight then a part tomorrow so maybe 10-12 cans so 42 this week. About average I'd say so double the recommended. Does that make me twice as cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I average 2 pints a night on a schoolnight and then more at the weekend, maybe 4 on Sat and sun so I am thinking about 32 units per week.

I would not put much stock in the units per week limit. Maybe that is me sticking my head in the sand of course but I heard that the WHO released those unit limits without any actual research. It was just plucked out of thin air. Again that could be wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

NothingMan wrote: »
    About average I'd say so double the recommended. Does that make me twice as cool?

According to the "limit", you should be twice as dead you disgraceful human being. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Zero lots of weeks
    5-10 other weeks
    Two or three times a year I might go between 10 & 15

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Up until very recently I didn't know there were two units in a pint. I was at Oxegen and in between acts it said you metabolise 1 unit per hour, so a pint takes 2 hours. There was me for years thinking it was 1 drink per hour (i.e. a pint per hour). Is it any wonder a few years ago I blew an orange on the breathalyser.

Having in my youth (and folly) consumed an entire bottle of spirits by downing 2 pints of the stuff in quick succession and promptly ending up in hospital, I also thought I'd consumed much more than just 9.5 pints worth of alcohol (19 units). I'm sure there's many folks who've done more than 9.5 pints in an hour or two and didn't end up in such a state. You've got me wondering about the relationships between alcohol units and BAC levels OP.

Thankfully, it's not something I have to worry about these days as I'd say my average works out at 0-5 per week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The whole 'units per week' idea is stupid. People might not drink for a month and then go crazy on one night out, which is probably more damaging than having a couple of cans per night even though the units consumed could be roughly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

As many as I can get my hands on:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

The whole 'units per week' idea is stupid. People might not drink for a month and then go crazy on one night out, which is probably more damaging than having a couple of cans per night even though the units consumed could be roughly the same.

Nah you've completely misunderstood how it works. They don't accumulate if you drink nothing one week and you're meant to space it out. That said knowing how many units is a safe amount hasn't stopped me before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Am I the only person going

Dick.
    Dick.
    Dick.

in my head when I see the smug non drinkers?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you're all wonderful human beings, but to me you come across as the type of people who would get out of the shower to take a piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Zero lots of weeks
    5-10 other weeks
    Two or three times a year I might go between 10 & 15

Yeah same as. Probably drink more than most of my female friends but I hang around with the lads more than them and I definitely think that has had an influence on me. One of the lads drinks a LOT on a night out and it never ever shows on him physically. Not a pick on him... I wonder will it catch up on him eventually though

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

According to the poll there's quite a few proper drinkers on boards. Most of them have yet to surface though. For me, most weeks would be about 15 but then the odd binge every two or three weeks could be 50+.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

stimpson wrote: »

Dick.
    Dick.
    Dick.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you're all wonderful human beings, but to me you come across as the type of people who would get out of the shower to take a piss.

Dunno about that but I was pretty shocked to see 0-5 leading before I voted. But after my vote 30-40 is back level. Boom

stimpson wrote: »

Dick.
    Dick.
    Dick.

In my head it's a "see you next tuesday".

Oh, for those of you too drunk or lazy to count there is a Unit calculator or "fun-o-meter" here

http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/tips-and-tools/drink-diary/

I scored a 29 last week which means I'm a "Higher Risk" of something. Getting laid probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Very fond of pints me. Haven't drank for a few weeks but my average intake on fri and sat nights is 10-12 pints of Smithwick's and maybe 4 or 5 bottles of Heineken during the week. The odd brandy some evenings too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

TheZohan wrote: »
    Drinkers are jokers. I can't understand why people put that crap in their body, they'll die from liver failure or many of the drink related illnesses.

Worst thing is when I'm at a bus-top and can smell the alcohol off people, stop breathing near me. Also when I'm in a nightclub there are tons of drunk people around, I didn't pay good money to have drink spilled on me when I paid in to have an aul dance.

They should ban alcohol, it's costing the taxpayer a fortune in healthcare and people are getting killed on the roads from drink-drivers.

Regards,

A smoker.
    In all fairness what did you expect to see in a nightclub? People reading books and playing monopoly?

Maybe try a ceili next time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

ah ya mad legend lol

good one Lachlan Magnificent Codfish, good one. :confused:

1 x slab of Karpackie 500ml cans,
    1 x slab of Newcastle Brown Ale 500ml cans,
    1 x slab of Stella Artois 500ml cans,

700ml Huzzar,

about 150ml of some austrian diesel that was 80% strength and spent a nice bit on pints there too. Good time had by all.

Somewhere in the 30-40 is probably about the average. That wound be good feed of drink one night and maybe a few pints another night.If I was out 2 or 3 times (which happens fairly often I have to say) would be easily more than 40, there would be the odd week then when I would only a few and very rarely none atall.

The weekly 21 unit limited would be exceeded on any proper night out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Quiet week would be anything from 25 to 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

0 most weeks, but on the odd occasion when i do drink its a lot-
    Once it hits your lips, it's so good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

2 - 4. A couple of glasses of wine when I'm out which might be once or twice a week.

yupyup7up wrote: »
    good one Frada, good one. :confused:

700ml Huzzar,

about 150ml of some austrian diesel that was 80% strength and spent a nice bit on pints there too. Good time had by all.
    Austrian Diesel?

My God you are an animal

2 - 4. A couple of glasses of wine when I'm out which might be once or twice a week.

Best username ever.

yupyup7up wrote: »
    good one Frada, good one. :confused:

700ml Huzzar,

Are you Lexus?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I do 2 to 2 and half bottles of wine every night Sunday to Thursday, on Friday and Saturday 3 to 4, i don't know in units as i drink from a mug,

i still make work every day and because my blood is so thin i don't get sick.

I do 2 to 2 and half bottles of wine every night Sunday to Thursday, on Friday and Saturday 3 to 4, i don't know in units as i drink from a mug,

Have you been at the wine already?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Seriously?

That's at least 100units a week! :eek:

And I thought I was a pi$$head! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Over the course of 7 days it would be around 40-50 units.

Advertisement