Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 22, Stage 19: Modane - Alpe-d'Huez 109km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Hmmm decision time, do I follow on here and the tickers? Or try to stay in the dark and watch the highlights later? What to do, What to do.

Having done both, I'd say the latter. Indubitably.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'll be surprised if Contador doesn't attack on Alpe d'Heuz but the Tour has been full of surprises so who knows.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Reading Roches diary this morning I found it interesting that when they found a crack in his frame they transferred everything from his bike to another frame, groupset, saddle, wheels, the works.
    Well there is no point leaving it all on a cracked frame, btw I've a Kuota frame for sale, newish, careful owner :rolleyes:

Evans thinks Andy was on drugs yesterday: :eek: :
    "On a numbers basis, [it was] 20-30km of block headwind [in the] upper valley... we're 40 and they're four riding at the front, with one to nine guys riding behind. They rode incredibly fast in front, I don't quite understand how they made so much time."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

In today's stage there's hardly enough of a flat piece of road to fry an egg on !! The first 14km is downhill, so that's gonna be hectic as a breakaway tries to establish itself !! It's then up, down, up, down, fry the egg, and then up through the cauldrol of heat/noise and mayhem !!!!!!

Fair play to those who did this route recently, I envy ye, some day I hope to get over there and sample it's delights. I was looking at Strava.com and then looked up the Alpe d'Huez climb, some people did it in 50-60mins, which is pretty darn good, but yeah how did Pantani/Armstrong do it in ~37mins..........:eek: (ok ok we all know how ;)).
    Here's the top 30:
    Rank Time Name Year Nationality
    1 37' 35" Marco Pantani 1997 Italy
    2* 37' 36" Lance Armstrong 2004 United States
    3 38' 00" Marco Pantani 1994 Italy
    4 38' 01" Lance Armstrong 2001 United States
    5 38' 04" Marco Pantani 1995 Italy
    6 38' 23" Jan Ullrich 1997 Germany
    7 38' 34" Floyd Landis 2006 United States
    8 38' 35" Andreas Klöden 2006 Germany
    9* 38' 37" Jan Ullrich 2004 Germany
    10 39' 02" Richard Virenque 1997 France
    11 39' 06" Iban Mayo 2003 Spain
    12* 39' 17" Andreas Klöden 2004 Germany
    13* 39' 21" Jose Azevedo 2004 Portugal
    14 39' 28" Miguel Induráin 1995 Spain
    15 39' 28" Alex Zülle 1995 Switzerland
    16 39' 30" Bjarne Riis 1995 Denmark
    17 39' 31" Carlos Sastre 2008 Spain
    18 39' 44" Gianni Bugno 1991 Italy
    19 39' 45" Miguel Induráin 1991 Spain
    20 40' 00" Jan Ullrich 2001 Germany
    21 40' 46" Fränk Schleck 2006 Luxembourg
    22 40' 51" Alexander Vinokourov 2003 Kazakhstan
    23 41' 18" Lance Armstrong 2003 United States
    24 41' 50" Laurent Fignon 1989 France
    25 41' 50" Luis Herrera 1987 Colombia
    26 42' 15" Pedro Delgado 1989 Spain
    27 45' 20" Gert-Jan Theunisse 1989 Netherlands
    28 45' 22" Fausto Coppi 1952 Italy
    29 48' 00" Greg Lemond 1986 United States
    30 48' 00" Bernard Hinault 1986 France

Note: Frank is at slot 21, will he reproduce that form today??, I think Contador won here in the Dauphine but I'm not sure what time, I think he wasn't at his best either.

Anyone who did it in under 40min who didn't dope?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

RPL1 wrote: »
    Worth noting that, given that it's a short stage, the finish will be relatively early - about 3.30pm? So if you're planning on "skiving off" to see the last hour ..... you'd better make it a half day!

I think the stage is just starting later than normal, and finishing around the same time as every other day. Off the top of my head I think it's starting at 1.30pm GMT and the winner is expected to finish somwhere between 4.30 - 5pm GMT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Inquitus wrote: »

Riis :p

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Inquitus wrote: »
    Only comment on those who have been proven to have doped (or better still, let's try and keep doping out of the thread)

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

RPL1 wrote: »
    Worth noting that, given that it's a short stage, the finish will be relatively early - about 3.30pm? So if you're planning on "skiving off" to see the last hour ..... you'd better make it a half day!

It starts late, at 13.30, so the expected finish time is about 16.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I think the stage is just starting later than normal, and finishing around the same time as every other day. Off the top of my head I think it's starting at 1.30pm GMT and the winner is expected to finish somwhere between 4.30 - 5pm GMT.

Start is 1.50 BST expected finish of 17.03 BST

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

I can see leopard trek trying to set a good pace up the Galibier to make sure none of the other favourites can get away in a break. Then it'll all be down to the alpe d'heuz and the action will happen there. Prediction, Evans will try to attack the schlecks on the alpe d'heuz but not be able to get away. Contador will have a day like yesterday and sanchez, basso, Cuneago, Veockler etc. will be there but will lose some time ~1 min. Stage winner: Schelck.

Dose Evans need to attack? do you not think he'd be happy enough if it finished as is this evening and he'll get them in the TT tomorrow? id say he's just going to mark the schlecks, which will be hard as there's two of them! .. the schlecks have to attack as they need more time in the TT. contador, sanchez and basso will probably attack too.. so should be good!

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    I'll be surprised if Contador doesn't attack on Alpe d'Heuz but the Tour has been full of surprises so who knows.

Thor Hushvod to win :D

mahoo wrote: »
    Dose Evans need to attack? do you not think he'd be happy enough if it finished as is this evening and he'll get them in the TT tomorrow? id say he's just going to mark the schlecks, which will be hard as there's two of them! .. the schlecks have to attack as they need more time in the TT. contador, sanchez and basso will probably attack too.. so should be good!

totally agree no need or reason for Evans to attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

D3PO wrote: »
    totally agree no need or reason for Evans to attack.

Im not so sure... what if he has a 'mechanical' during the TT, or if it rains and he crashes
    Surely if he has the legs he should attack and possibly get into Yellow tonight and that gives him an allowance
    anyone remember ulrich crashing twice during a TT in similar circumstances.

loved this bit in roches diary
    "Also there, was one of the big bosses of my team sponsor Ag2r, Monsieur Breton, who is a big cycling fan and would be following the race in a guest car during the stage. "
    another plus for Roche to give his boss a day of pure excitement in the mountains .. that kids a legend in my eyes doing his job on so many different levels, for teammates, sponsors, manager, family even when his individual goals are shot

Im not so sure... what if he has a 'mechanical' during the TT, or if it rains and he crashes

I dont think any rider will ever race plan based on having a mechanical or possibly crashing.

Weight up the two options

attack, drain energy at the front on your own, which no gaurantee you wont get reeling in and spat out the back

versus

sit on the wheel and back yourself to take back a minute odd over an inferiour time trialist

I know what game plan Id have. besides which if evans loses no time today he could afford a mechanical or a trip to the tarmac in the TT and still have enough in hand

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I foresee chain droppage. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I'm not really sure that Andy needs more time on Evans for the time trial. We saw with Sastre a few years ago it's possible for an average time trialist to go beyond himself in one TT to win a Tour.

So I think Evans needs to get a little time back which I can't see, especially on Alpe d'Huez, the type of climb that favours the Schlecks. But then again Evans has been the strongest man in this years race.

As an Evans fan I just hope Andy is spent after yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I don't think Evans needs to attack - just stay with the Schlecks in terms of not losing any time to them. They'll feel under pressure, I'm sure, with tomorrow's TT in their heads and Evans not fading.

Wonder if Roche will have the legs for some more heroics today? Maybe the Da should show him the old family album from La Plagne!:)

Lumen wrote: »

I think its perfectly poised for evans to be 39 seconds ahead of andy after the TT tomorrow :D

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I'm not really sure that Andy needs more time on Evans for the time trial. We saw with Sastre a few years ago it's possible for an average time trialist to go beyond himself in one TT to win a Tour..

i was thinking about that in realtion to voekler.. if the top 4 finish as is today (a big IF i know) could tommy pull it out of the bag tomorrow. you wouldn't be surprised if he did the way things have gone. that would be amazing. come on tommy!... and by the way, you can get 16-1 on voekler to win the tour (probably about right i guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

i was thinking about that in realtion to voekler.. if the top 4 finish as is today (a big IF i know) could tommy pull it out of the bag tomorrow. you wouldn't be surprised if he did the way things have gone. that would be amazing. come on tommy!... and by the way, you can get 16-1 on voekler to win the tour (probably about right i guess)

Nobody knows about Voeckler versus the clock when it really matters. I reckon he can match Andy's time at least which makes it strange to me that he didn't let Rolland help Evans claw back some time yesterday. If he had a minute over Andy this morning instead of 15 seconds he would have a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Lumen wrote: »
    bikeradar wrote:
    Andy Schleck (Leopard Trek) doesn't exactly have the best track record as far as chain retention is concerned so it's no surprise to see an AceCo K-Edge chain watcher mounted here
    1309521696562-18vf43sbnlqhj-670-75.jpg

:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think Evans will be happy if he retains the same gap to the Schlecks. Taking less than a minute out of Andy Schleck is within his abilities, given his form this year. However, if he sees an opportunity to put more time into them he'd be a fool not to take it. In short, he has the luxury of not needing to attack them.

If by some chance Voeckler survives today I think half the world will be rooting for him in the TT. I can't see him coming off best against Evans against the clock but you could see him putting it up to the Schlecks.

As an aside, did anyone ever dream they'd see Cunego holding fifth place at this stage in the Tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

'MON NICO.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Voeckler never had anything to win or lose in a TT before. Expect the ride of his life.
    I think he would hold off the Schlecks if it stays the same today, it would be a real battle between himself and Evans in the TT.
    Allez Thomas!!!!
    Big day in our house yesterday, Sean, our 15 month old son spoke his first word "Allez".:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Esroh wrote: »
    Found this on Cyclingnews. Gives you an idea of what they have to do to stay in the race.
    The slowest schedule for Stage 19’s stage across the Galibier and up to Alpe d’Huez predicts the winner will take 3 hours 18 minutes and my calculations put the cut-off at 26 minutes. So let’s call it 3.44 for the slowest permissible time on the day. In fine weather last week, and with fresh legs, more than 7,000 amateurs tackled Stage 19 in the Etape du Tour cyclosport race and. Only four of them managed to beat the Tour de France cut-off time.
    Cavendish & 80 odd other riders finished 35 minutes down yesterday so well outside the time limit. They had to be left in although they did get penalised, Cavendish lost 20 points off his green jersey. Could well happen today as well if the pressure is on on the Alpe.

V
    Big day in our house yesterday, Sean, our 15 month old son spoke his first word "Allez".:D

are you sure it wasn't "Andy"? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Well there is no point leaving it all on a cracked frame, btw I've a Kuota frame for sale, newish, careful owner :rolleyes:

Do you think ? I would have thought it makes you go faster. Why do you feel the need to condescend me ? It's a simple question, I can simplify it further for you if you like.

My point to the more considered amongst us is why the overnight panic when I would have thought there would be spares already set up for each rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Happily, I think we're at the juncture now where anyone who wins this tour will have earned it.

Voeckler - nothing needs to be said.
    Schlecks - rose to the occasion on the final two mountain stages, and hung on gamely in the TT.
    Evans - showed great form throughout, clawed Andy back yesterday, and won it using his superior time trialling.

Am I right in thinking the Schlecks could be the first brothers to stand on the Tour de France final podium?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

OK, so after seeing those interviews on Eurosport, it seems we will see Frank attack with Andy sitting on Cadel's wheel, mocking him gently in Luxembourgese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

are you sure it wasn't "Andy"? ;)

Certain! He won't have heard Allez and Andy in the same sentence.

Advertisement