Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Celbridge 0-11 St Laurences 1-7. Larries were 4 up with about 15 minutes left probably left it behind them lacking a forward other than Fogarty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

It's shaping up to be a very open championship. No team has really stood out yet. The extra game might stand to Athy and Moorefield.

Ballymore look odds on favourites for the drop. They are really struggling without James Kavanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Nib wrote: »
    Moorefield 0-10 Athy 1-7

Not a great game, in fairness the conditions were awful. Moores hit the last 4 points. Replay Wednesday evening, probably in Hawkfield.

There was a big crowd there tonight, will hawkfield be able for a similar sized crowd? I have never been but there's no stand AFAIK

There was a big crowd there tonight, will hawkfield be able for a similar sized crowd? I have never been but there's no stand AFAIK

There is a small stand on one side of the main pitch. Sarsfields beat Larries in a semi final held there in 2012 so it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Parking can be a bit on the messy side though.

• Advertisement

Parking can be a bit on the messy side though.

True enough. They should open up the greyhound track where there's loads of parking and have a minibus going over the road and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KeefF

paulie21 wrote: »
    Celbridge 0-11 St Laurences 1-7. Larries were 4 up with about 15 minutes left probably left it behind them lacking a forward other than Fogarty

Agree Fogarty best Laurence's player by far - but Larry's goal was a gift. But Celbridge evidently a far better team with the county players Lyons, Brophy,Conway & McGrillen plus Harte really dominating in 2nd half.

Athy v Moorefield replay is on in Hawkfield at 8 on Wednesday.

Allenwood v JTB replay is on in Kilcock at 8 on Wednesday.

Draw for the next round will take place after those games.

SFC R2 Replays HT Scores:

Moorefield 1-4 Athy 0-6

JTB 2-3 Allenwood 0-6

SFC R2 Replays FT Scores:

Athy 2-9 Moorefield 1-10

JTB 2-10 Allenwood 0-13

• Advertisement

SFC R3 Draw:

Allenwood v Confey
    Carbury v St Laurence's
    Maynooth v St Kevin's
    Moorefield v Naas

SFC 1/4 Finalists:

Athy v ?
    Celbridge v ?
    Johnstownbridge v ?
    Sarsfields v ?

SFC Relegation Semi Finals:

Ballymore v Monasterevan
    Clane v Leixlip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Intermediate Round 3
    Eadestown 1-13 Ellistown 0-12
    Nurney 2-8 Castledermot 1-11
    Clogherinkoe 0-12 Ballyteague 0-9
    Two Mile House 2-11 Raheens 2-11

Two Mile House v Raheens was a cracking game, TMH will be kicking themselves though, they really should have won. They shot for goal during the last play of the game when all they needed to do was fist it over the bar. Made the Castledermot-Nurney game yesterday in Athy. Good game as well. Nurney hit 1-1 in the last minute to snatch a draw. Willie Heffernan was immense in midfield. Clogherinkoe going well, they could be dark horses.

It's crazy how competitive the IFC has been in recent years. Almost impossible to predict the outcome of games. Looking forward to the replays on Wednesday night.

Tough ask for Kill now to avoid playing JFC next year. I thought Caragh were beatable so it's a disappointing result although Bobtown will probably be thinking the same after their defeat to Sallins.

Kill-Robertstown is very hard to call. I watched Kill against Castledermot a few weeks ago and they were dire. They threw in the towel completely when Castledermot scored a goal to go 1-9 to 0-6 up. Bobtown are no world beaters either.

Maybe the drop would do Kill good, badly in need of a regroup. They have done nothing in the IFC in recent time.

Nib wrote: »
    Maybe the drop would do Kill good, badly in need of a regroup. They have done nothing in the IFC in recent time.

Possibly although it's no formality getting back out of the junior championship. Kill had a good run in the Keogh Cup but it has been a struggle since.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

SFC Round 3 fixtures:

Friday 5th September

Moorefield v Naas

Hawkfield @8

Saturday 6th September

Carbury v St Laurences

Newbridge @6

Sunday 7th September

Maynooth v St Kevins

Kilcock @7

Sunday 14th September

Confey v Allenwood

TBC

I'll go with Moorefield to beat Naas, Maynooth to beat Kevin's and Confey to beat Allenwood.

Carbury v Larries is a very difficult one to call. They will both feel like they left it behind them the last day out against Sarsfields and Celbridge. It could come down to who has the better day on the frees between O'Flaherty and Fogarty.

Should be a decent weekend of action.

I think Moorefield will beat Naas but it won't be as easy as some might think. Naas are a decent side. The Moores are too dependent on Ronan Sweeney for scores in tight matches IMO.

Confey to pip Allenwood. Johnny Byrne has been in fine form for Allenwood. He should be on the Kildare panel for 2015.

The Maynooth v St Kevin's game is a tough one to call, particularly after 'Kevin's shocked Clane. However, there's every chance 'Kevin's will take theri foot off the gas now that they're safe. Maynooth by 1 or 2.

Carbury to beat Larries. Larries way too dependent on Podge Fogarty for scores. Carbury are an all round better team IMO.

In the Intermediate replays tomorrow night, I think Raheens will knock out Two Mile House. The House had their chance on Sunday but they blew it. Castledermot should beat Nurney. Should..

Milltown to beat Rathcoffey in the JFC QF replay. A bit pointless really as neither have a hope of winning it. Straffan are by far the best team in it. Seen a tweet after their demolition of Kilcullen (who would be considered their nearest rivals for the title) that said they could repeat what TMH did last year in winning an All Ireland and it wouldn't be a surprise to many in Kildare GAA circles.

Johnny Byrne was on the Kildare panel this year. He had an operation early on in the year and it took him a long while to get fully fit after. He's probably reaping the benefits of that freshness now.

I think the Moorefield forwards are actually a bit more potent than they were in years gone by. Tyrrell is a good source of scores for them in the half forward line and Éanna O'Connor looks like a very accurate player. Their backs and midfield don't look the dominant force that they once were. A lot of them are getting on a bit now and the mileage is beginning to tell. Daryl Flynn has barely got a look in with Kildare for a good while now and he would have been considered one of our most important players three or four years ago. Guys like Glavin and Naughton seem to have lost a bit of pace and David Whyte is a huge loss. It wouldn't surprise me if they still went all the way in Kildare this year but their chance to add another Leinster title has probably passed.

Straffan have some serious attacking talent for a junior club. Most of the senior clubs in Kildare would kill to have Austin Allen and Rob Kelly in their forward lines.

He looks in great shape. He has a huge engine on him and he can play ball too, could be a decent option at wing back.

I actually forgot about O'Connor he has been a huge addition alright. Flynn will be missing for the Naas game if I'm not mistaken. Was it a straight red he got v Athy? Would make that game a bit tougher. Naas are no mugs.

Any prediction on the IFC Relegation Final? Tough one to call. If Kill can stop Bobtown scoring goals, they'll have a chance. I actually enjoy watching relegation finals, both teams fighting for their lives.

Hard to see Ballymore avoiding the drop from Senior.

• Advertisement

Yes I think he will be suspended. I still expect Moorefield to have just enough in the tank to account for Naas. It took Athy two goes to put them away and Naas would not be at their level.

I haven't seen much of Kill's matches over the last few years to be honest. I'm not living near home anymore so I am out of the loop a bit. If young O'Hagan could do a man marking job on Joe Kavanagh it would give Kill every chance.

It's hard to see Ballymore staying up. James Kavanagh pulled games out of the fire for them almost single handedly. They were always likely to struggle without him. Monasterevin are a limited enough outfit but they are well set up and hard to break down. I would think Clane and Leixlip are a level above those two teams. Clane are a complete enigma. They just can't seem to find any consistency at all. Leixlip are another club who should be doing better than they are. They never kicked on after all that success they had at minor level. It's hard to believe they won three minor titles in a row between 1999 and 2001.

And what's harder to believe is that their minors are now competing in the C Championship. Unbelievable for a town with a huge population.

It's probably the one town in Kildare that faces most competition from other sports. Barnhall have done a lot of work in the last ten years and have rugby coaches involved with the local schools. There's also 5 soccer clubs spread between Leixlip and Confey parishes.

I would hazard a guess that St Mary's numbers at underage level are down but the Confey club is going well at both codes.

IFC
    Two Mile House 0-10 Raheens 1-4
    Castledermot 2-13 Nurney 2-10

JFC
    Rathcoffey 1-8 Milltown 0-9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Milltown/raheens beat Jesus that's a shock' saw a few junior games earlier in the year standard has really dropped.

Tom Cross JFC Semi Finals:

Castlemitchell v Kilcullen
    Rathcoffey v Straffan

Joe Fox Tool & Plant Hire IFC Quarter Finals:

Castledermot v Rathangan
    Clogherinkoe v Round Towers
    Eadestown v Suncroft
    Kilcock v Two Mile House

Castledermot v Nurney was another cracking affair. Nurney led 1-4 to 6 at HT but in truth they should have been leading by more. They totally dominated in midfield where Willie Heffernan was outstanding. The game burst into life in the second half with the two Castledermot goals finally giving them the win. Paddy Mahon hit 11 points, 10 of those were frees. A few of those were very harsh on Nurney. I thought Brendan Hickey was poor, all the 50/50 calls seemed to go Castledermot's way.

Heard the other replay was a shocker. Very surprised Raheens only managed 1-4 and are out this early. TMH have a great chance now. Kilcock probably the favorites for the title.

Has Peter Kelly returned for the House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Has Peter Kelly returned for the House?

Yeah, much needed experience in a very young team. Of course he's more than just experienced as well.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/attacks-referee-cormac-reilly-cowardly-ignorant

Great piece by our own Eamon O'Molloy. It kind of makes you think of all the times you've criticized a referee. Interesting from their perspective.

Advertisement