Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

SFC Rd 1:

Johnstownbridge 1-14 Confey 0-11
    Celbridge 2-18 Castledermot 1-11
    Athy 0-21 Maynooth 2-12
    St Laurence's 2-15 Clane 1-10
    Naas 0-25 Round Towers 0-10

IFC Rd 1:

Ballyteague 2-13 Kilcock 1-11

Kevin Feely went off injured for Athy.

St Conleths Park Re-Development Project – Kildare 2020 Vision
    May 5th, 2018 | Club News, News

The planning application for the Re-Development project in St Conleths Park was lodged on Friday 27th April for approval.

The development will consist of the construction of a new 2–storey Covered Main Stand building, with facilities within the Stand, comprising Players and Officials Changing Areas, Spectator Concourses, Toilets Areas, Office, Multi-purpose room, VIP/ meeting areas, Food services/ bar, Stores, Plant Rooms and associated ancillary areas.

As part of this project, there will be a new civic plaza at the main entrance area to the stand and the Flood Lighting for the facility.

The following graphics, which depict the stand, VIP area, entry plaza and services within the stand reflect Kildare GAA’s plans for St Conleths Park.

C1.png

C2.png

C3.png

C.png

C-1.png

C6.png

C7.png

Leinster MFC:

Kildare 1-17 Wexford 0-7

Joe Mallon Motors Renault SFC:

Johnstownbridge 1-14 Confey 0-11
    Celbridge 2-18 Castledermot 1-12
    Athy 0-23 Maynooth 2-12
    St Laurence's 2-15 Clane 1-10
    Naas 0-25 Round Towers 0-10
    Eadestown 1-10 Leixlip 1-10
    Moorefield 0-22 Carbury 4-8

Pittman Traffic & Safety IFC:

Ballyteague 2-13 Kilcock 1-11
    Sallins 2-14 Suncroft 4-7
    Two Mile House 2-14 Nurney 2-6
    St Kevin's 1-19 Ellistown 1-7
    Allenwood 1-19 Rathangan 0-16
    Clogherinkoe 3-15 Kill 2-11

Tom Cross Coaches JFC:

Robertstown 2-13 Ballykelly 0-10

Hard to read anything into the minor result because Wexford were very poor. Kildare should have put a few more goals past them.

In the big game of the weekend in the senior championship, Carbury blew a healthy lead against an understrength Moorefield who finished strong with Éanna O'Connor kicking 8 second half points. Good wins for JTB, Celbridge, Naas and Larries for who Paudie O'Neill was superb by all accounts. Kevin Feely went off with a leg injury during Athy's win over Maynooth which is concerning.

Ballyteague beating Kilcock was the only real surprise down in the intermediate although Kilcock are missing a few at present. Mark Sherry kicked 2-2 for TMH while Johnny Doyle (as usual!) led the way for Allenwood against Rathangan.

Joe Mallon Motors Renault SFC replay:

Leixlip 2-20 Eadestown 3-5

The scores being put up in these senior championship games says a lot about the type of football being played in the county. It's no wonder the county team leak scores against decent opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

A hear, we'd be complaining if they were defensive games of 06 - 07. Fk That. Had enough of that for the last decade. Let it rain goals and points!

We struggle up the top end too. Arguably more in the last 20 years.

• Advertisement

ixus wrote: »
    A hear, we'd be complaining if they were defensive games of 06 - 07. Fk That. Had enough of that for the last decade. Let it rain goals and points!

We struggle up the top end too. Arguably more in the last 20 years.

It was more of an observation than a complaint although I think some supporters should bear it in mind when having a cut off the various managers of our county teams for failing to employ a blanket defence when we take on teams like Dublin.

The way our county team plays reflects our club game. The reason we have found it difficult to develop a solid defensive structure like other counties is because our players simply can't adapt to it. They don't play that way at either club level or at underage level all the way up. O'Neill tried it two years ago against Wexford and Westmeath and it was a disaster. It's ingrained in club football and at underage in counties like Tyrone and Donegal and their players find it much easier to play that way. Pascal Kellaghan tried to change Athy's style a few years ago and he didn't last long.

Was it not the reverse with Donegal? They won playing that way and everyone changed style?

I think it's more important to develop skills and attacking flair. Marking and defense can be thought (speaking as a defender).

It's game intelligence and an over reliance on hand passing at a slow pace that usually causes a turnover and a breakdown in any defensive system with Kildare. Not being switched on for own kickouts in the league etc.

I do agree on the waltzing through tew middle of the team issue. That was first exposed by Meath against McGeeney way back and driven home by Cork.

Black card has opened up the game which was its purpose. I'd much rather see a shoot out with elements of great defending and turnovers. I severely reduced the amount of club games I used to watch because standard was so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Does anyone know which ground the match against Carlow will be at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

max life wrote: »
    Portlaoise on 27th May

paulie21 wrote: »
    max life wrote: »
    Portlaoise on 27th May
    Been fixed for Tullamore now as Wicklow v Dublin has to played in Portlaoise as Aughrim can’t accommodate them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I think if we can get a good victory against Carlow and the lads get over the long losing run then we can make a good run this year. Full bill of health being reported which is nice to here.

I was disappointed with the league overall, not for being relegated as that was always a risk; moreso the nature of the losses in the tighter games. Look how highly regarded Tyrone and especially Monaghan are on here by many - those were two games you could make strong arguments that we left behind - even in the end they were one point losses. There is no reason if the team pulls together that we won't make the super 8's, we only have to win one match if we go out at the Leinster final yes? Will be some big teams lurking in the qualifiers by then though.

There is lots of improvements in the team from the league; better free conversion, less wides, less daydreaming on the ball and getting easily turned over, tightening up of the defense (especially straight through the middle) and for god sake stop taking the ball into contact so much! I don't hold much merit in the losses to Mayo, Kerry and Galway - the lads knew they were as good as relegated and bar Daniel Flynn and a few others it didn't look like many of them were willing to fight too hard. Look at the results Tyrone and Monaghan got after they beat us - good wins, notably Tyrone against Mayo and Monaghan vs. Dublin. We have the game to push the top teams - just can't play at our best consistently. Last year we put up the highest score against the Dubs and only Mayo got closer to them on the scoreboard (a 9 point defeat isn't saying much but look!)...and then we went out and played like we did against Armagh!

Never in my life have I been as nervous going into a match with the likes of Carlow. Realistically it should be easy but Carlow will throw everyone back and Kildare at the best of times struggle with packed defenses. Mates with someone on the Carlow panel and he said they know they will probably lose to us but there's no pressure on them and they are riled up to get out there.

Roll on Sunday! Weather looks cracking for the weekend so I hope we get a good crowd out to support both teams.

Juniors beat Wicklow 2-11 to 2-9 last night and minors defeated Carlow 1-13 to 0-2 tonight

DeETPPdWAAE03uc.jpg

Hope Eanna is on frees. Draw for group stage of championship was done this evening.

A: Naas, Larries, Maynooth, Castledermot
    B: Athy, Leixlip. Towers, Carbury
    C: Moorefield, JTB, Clane, Raheens
    D: Celbridge, Sarsfields, Confey, Eadestown

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Sounds like a well deserved win for Carlow. Terrible day for Kildare football.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Having lost every game this year I expected the loosing streek to end today. Fairly wrong there! It wasnt that we were beaten its that we were comprehensively beaten which is so disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Johner wrote: »
    Sounds like a well deserved win for Carlow. Terrible day for Kildare football.

Carlow deserved it, but Kildare made some awful kicking decisions, and 3 or 4 of their wides were terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Surely O Neill will be under pressure now?
    As a kerryman- I’ve noticed a few former kerry players having a pop off him at times in the media.

The consensus on O Neill down this way would be in line with the consensus of the general population after hearing about Kildare training with the goggles

Jaysus made a bad call about Eanna missed 1-3. Again haven’t a clue how to break down a packed defence and can’t handle direct running how many frees did Broderick score

Without wishing to take anything away from Carlow who were fantastic, that's a new low for Kildare football.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

We had a good few opportunities to kick points inside the 45 throughout the second half. Feely flynn and brophy should have been taking those on but again the first option is always to turn around and pass it sideways or backwards.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Nothing went right for O Conner today. Just bad luck I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

beertons wrote: »
    Nothing went right for O Conner today. Just bad luck I suppose.

There was no "bad luck" about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lillielad

Anyone see the Carlow maor foirne? had more passion than any of our lads, was a pr1ck but still says it all that he had more passion though...Bring in Glen, Johnny and Dermot in for the rest of the year...Wish that was feasible to be honest.

On the game tactically we were a shambles, trying run by a blanket defense, very slow paced and one dimensional, same team all year. Massive space in front of the Carlow full back line Paddy Brophy and Flynn should have been left in there and just fecking kick it in. We've seen a lot of bad defeats against the likes of Wiclow, Offaly, Louth, Derry but that was the worst in my opinion. We are gone back to the mid 00's before McGeeney came.

It was a masterclass from Carlow. They rattled Kildare from the first whistle. All over the pitch straight away they were shoving and getting into our faces off the ball and I don't think Kildare expected that aggression. Couple that with a solid 13 man defence, ridiculous accuracy when countering (not a single wide) and expert gamesmanship and after 15/20 minutes I knew the loss was coming. They controlled the second half so well, but I thought some of the play acting got a bit ridiculous - there must have been a solid 10 minutes of lying around on the ground and the officials seemed to be getting sick of it.

All in all Carlow well deserved the win and to punish us like that. They've really developed their system now to not only defend with all men back but to turn over and get a lot of scores too. Defensive football is only puke when the scores don't come - if you're defending with 13 men back and putting up 2-14 past a team that should be strolling past ye, that really is an excellent management setup in place and fair play to them.

As disruptive as it would be this is the game where O'Neill needs to go. Tactically the team are so clueless and borderline moronic. What kind of training are we doing? Why are we still talking about 1-3 being left behind from placed ball? Why are we still kicking so many piss poor wides it's embarrassing? You could put Kildare up against a blanket defence of Junior B's and we still couldn't find ways to break em down. Less running around Hawfield in techno goggles and more putting the ball in between the sticks.

I fully appreciate that we have improved under O'Neill and briefly returned to a top 8ish team (8th of those, but how much was the rise just a reflection on the lack of depth in GAA?) - but the wheels of the system most definitely have fallen off :( The lads just didn't have the passion today, something is not right behind the scenes.

Great crop of players in the county but I agree with the above - it's a new low. Less so that it was to Carlow as in fairness they are a rising team and I see most teams struggling to put them away - the nature of the defeat was just...bleh.

The lads need a win so please god we get a favourable draw tomorrow...though I'm sure half the country would fancy their chances against us atm.

They are not a great crop. They can't handle any kind of pressure or expectation. They have no real desire to win a match. They are capable of the odd sublime play bit it is often overridden by the ridiculous.

Gone from 2 teams capable of matching Galway to that in 12 months. Both management and players responsible. Tomás O'Shea's hit job the day before probably impacted a psychologically weak team. They are that fragile.

They are soft as fk.

• Advertisement

While I totally agree with your comments I still think talent wise they are a good crop of players and should be performing at a way higher level than they are. The fact that now and then they can turn it on shows the potential is there. There's no superstars on the team or even all stars unlike years previous alright but there's enough good players there that should never see the likes of today happen.

But you're still spot on - the fragile mentality among many other aspects is crippling.

Advertisement