Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Felexicon wrote: »
    I genuinely think Cavan can cause Kildare a few problems in this one.
    It was the new Meath players that caused Kildare problems yesterday and I think Cavans young side can do the same.
    Kildare play to such a tight structure under McGeeny it strangles any individual flair from his players.
    When they were met with a fresh Meath side who showed no fear and had no baggage of prior defeats, they seemed unable to adjust. It was like they couldn't understand why the same tactics used to defeat Meath in numerous recent games wasn't working.
    Like Meath yesterday, this Cavan team will not fear Kildare as they have no history of multiple defeats to them.
    9 out of 10 times Kildare win this match up. But there is always that chance

Meath had a good mix of youth and experience yesterday though. Players like Bryan Farrell, Joe Sheridan, David Gallagher, Peadar Byrne, Cian Ward, Eoghan Harrington, Stephen Bray, Bryan Meade, Graham Reilly and Mickey Burke have been around that panel for a good few years now and have experience.

The young Cavan players don't have that support. Other than Mark McKeever, Ronan Flanagan, James Reilly and Pauric O'Reilly, there's very little intercounty experience in the panel, and alot of supporters don't even want to see Ronan Flanagan starting. There's no real alternative for the management there though because the players just aren't there in the 25+ age group and that's been seen from our results over the last few years. Cavan went through a lull in the '00s where players just weren't committed and its clearly been decided that its better to start afresh with a committed, young panel then try to get older players to curb the problems of the past.

If Cavan are within 5 points at the end, I'll be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

What way have Kildare CARRIED ON??? Now don't start this **** here again there is no need

It is obvious what I meant, the whole thing is being played out like a circus while Meath took full advantage IMO.

McGeeney has to take a lot of the blame.

If I were a Kildare supporter I would be far from happy ad yesterday was the tip of the iceberg for some I spoke to yesterday in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

AGC wrote: »
    It is obvious what I meant, the whole thing is being played out like a circus while Meath took full advantage IMO.

McGeeney has to take a lot of the blame.

If I were a Kildare supporter I would be far from happy ad yesterday was the tip of the iceberg for some I spoke to yesterday in Croker.

It may be obvious but I'm not quite sure what you mean either.
    Is it in relation to the Johnston saga? If it is I don't think that had an effect on the outcome of yesterdays game.

McGeeney should shoulder SOME of the blame as should the players but more than anything the Meath players should be given credit for thier attitude to the game.

If you want to say something just say it. There is no need to vague about it, you won't hurt anyones feelings

It may be obvious but I'm not quite sure what you mean either.
    Is it in relation to the Johnston saga? If it is I don't think that had an effect on the outcome of yesterdays game.

McGeeney should shoulder SOME of the blame as should the players but more than anything the Meath players should be given credit for thier attitude to the game.

If you want to say something just say it. There is no need to vague about it, you won't hurt anyones feelings

Meath players deserve full credit, they were excellent even with the injuries. Sending off may have been harsh but Meath still would have had enough IMO.

I think the Johnston saga has had implications, around Croke Park yesterday all people were talking about was the comical scenes of him playing in that hurling game.

McGeeney as manager should have dealt with that whole situation months ago, it is now going to keep rumbling on because they got Cavan.

Kildare have a panel strong enough to beat Meath and on a good day win Leinster dependant on their luck. For so much media time to be given to Seanie, who, I don't think is all he is cracked up to be, is taking away from the hard work the Kildare squad have put in themselves.

If I was a Kildare player and watching all this unfold I wouldn't be happy knowing that he will be involved some day. certainly as a young lad coming through to see I might loose out to him would p**s me off.

This is what Kildare football will be remembered for this year and not any success on the pitch.

EDIT: I am not trying to drag up old news with this but the amount of time dedicated to him in themedia I feel it hasn't helped Kildare.

AGC wrote: »
    Meath players deserve full credit, they were excellent even with the injuries. Sending off may have been harsh but Meath still would have had enough IMO.

I think the Johnston saga has had implications, around Croke Park yesterday all people were talking about was the comical scenes of him playing in that hurling game.

McGeeney as manager should have dealt with that whole situation months ago, it is now going to keep rumbling on because they got Cavan.

Kildare have a panel strong enough to beat Meath and on a good day win Leinster dependant on their luck. For so much media time to be given to Seanie, who, I don't think is all he is cracked up to be, is taking away from the hard work the Kildare squad have put in themselves.

If I was a Kildare player and watching all this unfold I wouldn't be happy knowing that he will be involved some day. certainly as a young lad coming through to see I might loose out to him would p**s me off.

This is what Kildare football will be remembered for this year and not any success on the pitch.
    I disagree with most of the points there but I'm not going to discuss the Johnston issue here as it is not the place. The regular Kildare posters here seem like decent lads and I don't want to derail the thread.
    If you would like to discuss it with me feel free to pm me or start a new seanie johnston thread

• Advertisement

I disagree with most of the points there but I'm not going to discuss the Johnston issue here as it is not the place. The regular Kildare posters here seem like decent lads and I don't want to derail the thread.
    If you would like to discuss it with me feel free to pm me or start a new seanie johnston thread

Agreed. No point starting a new one as it will get out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I say let geezer take the Cavan job and bring Glenn Ryan back to manage... If I was playing for Ryan who was a hero I would give my heart on a plate to play for him

I say let geezer take the Cavan job and bring Glenn Ryan back to manage... If I was playing for Ryan who was a hero I would give my heart on a plate to play for him

Not only that. He has Longford playing some very good football. I think at the moment Kildare have better pure footballers than they get credit for. With the shackles of McGeeneys system taken away I actually think they could achieve alot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The Cavan job isn't available. We're quite happy with Terry Hyland. He delivered three Ulster U21 finals in 3 years and two Ulster championship winning U21 teams.

He has more than earned his shot at the top job in the county.

Lemlin wrote: »
    The Cavan job isn't available. We're quite happy with Terry Hyland. He delivered three Ulster U21 finals in 3 years and two Ulster championship winning U21 teams.

Meath job is taken for the time being. He'll have to wait for a shot at the best job in the country :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

My team v Cavan

Connolly (purely starting because we have no other viable option, very poor yesterday!)

Peter Kelly, Mick Foley, Andrew McLoughlin;

Hugh McGrillen, Emmet Bolton, Ollie Lyons;

Tomás O' Connor, Daryl Flynn;

Eoghan O' Flaherty, Mikey Conway, Eamon Callaghan;

Alan Smith, Paudie O' Neill, Johnny Doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmet Ryan

I've put together a tactics piece on this game for anyone interested
    http://action81.com/blog/?p=5929

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Lemlin wrote: »

But the Armagh job is, presumably that is what he meant. I dont think McGeeney has done a particularly good job with Kildare actually, have never understood the fascination with either him or this team. Yesterday made Meath look a lot better than they actually are. Remember they needed two goes just to get past Carlow. McGeeney has failed to win a two/three horse race five years in a row now.

Glenn Ryan has done a great job with Longford and would bring Kildare on another bit. A Leinster is achievable for this team, would say any more than that is beyond the limits of their ability. Another mazy run through the qualifiers lies in wait for them now but the next time they meet a top 6 team (which they are not themselves) they're likely to come up short.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Glenn Ryan has done a great job with Longford and would bring Kildare on another bit. A Leinster is achievable for this team, would say any more than that is beyond the limits of their ability. Another mazy run through the qualifiers lies in wait for them now but the next time they meet a top 6 team (which they are not themselves) they're likely to come up short.
    Has he really done a great job at Longford though? They've got some fabulous players who are household names yet this year's game against Laois is the only Leinster Championship game that Longford have won since Ryan took over in 2009. They also snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in the replayed Wexford game. He has done well to get them to division 2 and in the championship they've had the scalp of Mayo a few years back and ran Kerry close, but Derry are an atrocious team this year so beating them wasn't really a shock in my view.
    Personally I think the jury is still out on Ryan as a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I think he's done well considering it's Longford we're talking about here. They do have some good players but have a very small pick. There's not much between Longford and Leitrim in terms of population and clubs but he has Longford able to give anyone a game when, size wise, they should be one of those teams, like Leitrim, that some people want to make a B Championship for.

I think he deserves a shot with a bigger team and with McGeeneys time coming to a natural end with Kildare, he seems like an obvious choice to come in. Really, the jury will be out until he manages someone else, because he can't be expected to be at the business end of the championship with Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jack67

it will take more than glenn ryan and the present kildare squad giving there hearts on a plate to him to win a leinster ,never mind an all ireland,

this team is just not good enough,no natural scoring forwards end off.

Don't forget Glenn also took Kildare U21's to an AI final in his one and only year in charge.

He's a very good manager IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Why do you think the County players would play any harder for the Ryan?

Have you spoken to many of them about how they feel about playing under Geezer?

How he helped Smith in his personal life by getting some others to come down and talk to him,such as McConville etc.

How he had the panel in tears in the Keadeen they year they lost in the semi.

How 4 county players have told me they would walk on hot coal for him.

That a player at my own club who is no longer on the panel has said he has never met a more dedicated and intense man and he drove the best out of every player.

Ryan has done a good job so far but Kildare have beneifted greatly from having two "outsiders" in as manager.

Geezer deserves more respect than talking about Ryan coming in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

raven136 wrote: »
    How he helped Smith in his personal life by getting some others to come down and talk to him,such as McConville etc.

That a player at my own club who is no longer on the panel has said he has never met a more dedicated and intense man and he drove the best out of every player.

How he facilitated the transfer of a player from another county rather than stay loyal to the young Kildare players at his disposal?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That's helpful johnny, thanks. He's given plenty of lads chances. If a pal of yours didn't make the panel, there must be a reason. It's not Geezer's fault they're a bit behind the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

How he facilitated the transfer of a player from another county rather than stay loyal to the young Kildare players at his disposal?

It's been done to death already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

The players I have spoken to all seem to have no problem with Seanie and in fact one of the players most under threat(Alan Smith) has seemingly taken it as a reason to improve his attitude and effort for what its worth.

The players I have spoken to all seem to have no problem with Seanie and in fact one of the players most under threat(Alan Smith) has seemingly taken it as a reason to improve his attitude and effort for what its worth.

I don't doubt that but the point I make remains the same.

As for people who say its been done to death, there is a reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't doubt that but the point I make remains the same.

Ahhhhh looks more like the point changes in fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Why do you think the County players would play any harder for the Ryan?

Have you spoken to many of them about how they feel about playing under Geezer?

Ryan has done a good job so far but Kildare have beneifted greatly from having two "outsiders" in as manager.

Geezer deserves more respect than talking about Ryan coming in now.
    I know how the lads feel about mcgeeney he isn't just a manager they count him as role model, friend etc too!!!

I'm not trying to belittle him he has done wonders for the county there is no doubt about that!! But I think Ryan returning to Kildare is at back of a lot of people's minds really in the long term, do you really think if geezer is offered Armagh job that he will not consider it?

Geezer In my opinion has improved county fortunes to a huge extent he will always have my support also that post was trolling ;)

But at same time if he does ever decide to walk Ryan would be a great addition don't you agree???

Also just to add I have no wishes for Kieran to leave, I have been ultra happy with him throughout his career with us

keane2097 wrote: »
    Ahhhhh looks more like the point changes in fact!
    ... Developing the point!

Disappointing result for the minors tonigt in the Leinster Semi Final. Kildare 1-8 2-16 Dublin.

Kildare team to face Cavan on Sunday:

1. Shane Connolly (St. Laurences)

2. Andriú MacLochlainn (Ellistown)

3. Michael Foley (Athy)

4. Peter Kelly (Two Mile House)

5. Emmet Bolton (Eadestown)

6. Morgan O’Flaherty (Carbury)

7. Hugh McGrillen (Celbridge)

8. Daryl Flynn (Moorefield)

9. Robert Kelly (Straffan)

10. Eoghan O’Flaherty (Carbury)

11. Mikey Conway (Nurney)

12. Alan Smith (Sarsfields)

13. John Doyle (Captain) (Allenwood)

14. Tomás O’Connor (Clane)

15. James Kavanagh (Ballymore)

Pretty happy with that team, most players are back in their normal positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

fecking stuck.in work Sunday Anyone know if the game will be on the online rte player

No it's not been shown anywhere on TV or online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Conor Mortimor available for ye now lads :P

Advertisement