Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Johnston does not get paid, he wants to play football at the highest level and Cavan have denied him this.

The real losers in all of this is Cavan supporters and the Cavan Gaels club.

The Cavan management are perfectly within their rights to pick whoever they feel is right for the team - the management, for once backed by the county board, decided not to pick Seanie.

I don't agree that Cavan supporters are the losers here. No-one from Cavan has ever disputed his footballing ability - as one poster said he's a great man for the hollywood points, but Cavan are better without him and that a simple fact. While we are no great world beaters and a win today against Fermanagh would surprise most people here, we do have a TEAM that are working together and have come up together through the ranks - that's a foundation to build on and I do genuinely believe that dropping Seanie was the right call by the management.

I don't wish Seanie ill or Kildare - good luck to them and people here be it from Cavan, Meath or Dublin or where-ever who are castigating Kildare for poaching players are being hypocritical. We in Cavan benefitted from player transfers such as Raymie Gallagher from Fermanagh. And anyone in Cavan, Meath or other county than got a player like Bernard Brogan or the Gooch to declare for them in dubious circumstances who says they would not be delighted is talking bolox in my view!!!

The GAA handled this badly from start to finish and made a farce of this whole transfer and needs to look at the way it handles these issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Very disappointing performance today, we totally lacked any attacking threat up front. McGeeney has a lot to answer for. Why was Rob Kelly dropped after playing very well at mid field against Offaly? Why was Alan Smith playing around the middle in the first half and Mikey Conway is no more a corner forward than Smith is a mid fielder.

Dermot should have been brought in at mid field not full forward.

The referee was poor but he was poor for both teams so that is not an excuse, back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Absolutely shocked lads never felt so alone in croker..

Hopefully lads will regroup and fight like we know they can. Just hoping this will be the only loss we have this summer.

The substitutions were ridiculous take a target man out and put another in when I say that a big target like Earley.

Geezer needs to get tactics right, anymore days like this ill have no nerves left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Hard luck to Kildare today - I can understand that ye must be shell shocked a bit but when you think about in the cold light of today tomorrow is it really that bad?? Okay not nice to be beaten in a semi by a neighbouring county who there is so much rivallry with.

But when you look at it the pressure is off now and no harm to be off the back pages for a while - motivation should be no trouble for geezer now and the Kildare boys should have no trouble getting up for the next match. There's nobody in the next round of the qualifiers ye should fear and the hype will die down - Meath were like a wounded animal today and we should all know well enough never to write a Meath team off. Kildare should get the heads down and build up a bit of momentum through the back door - its not the end of the summer yet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Paddy O' Rourke steps down as Armagh manager.

Might have consequences for us if we have an early exit.

• Advertisement

Paddy O' Rourke steps down as Armagh manager.

Might have consequences for us if we have an early exit.

Could mean the return of the mighty Glenn Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Absolutely shocked lads never felt so alone in croker..

Really? Wasn't there today but it can't have been any worse than the losses to both Laois and Wicklow up in Croker?

full_irish wrote: »
    Really? Wasn't there today but it can't have been any worse than the losses to both Laois and Wicklow up in Croker?

Just as bad if not worse.. Fair play to Meath but we know how good this Kildare team are to see a shock defeat is hard to take!

I really hope lads lift themselves and come back to qualifiers with a point to prove :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Jesus that Lemlin lad has an awful chip on his shoulder when it comes to Kildare.

Must have been refused entry to the priest college in Maynooth or something.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Jesus that Lemlin lad has an awful chip on his shoulder when it comes to Kildare.

Must have been refused entry to the priest college in Maynooth or something.

If there was an award for king of the stirrers you would get it felex lol well done today great performance from a young side!!!

• Advertisement

Kildare v Cavan in the qualifiers. LOL.

I call a fix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I call a fix
    you mean Cavan v Kildare.
    Game will be in Breffni Park lest it isnt clear !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I call a fix

It's blatant enough alright. The same last year when Meath and Louth were the big story and drew each other.

Hats off to them I say though. The GAA know a money spinner and take advantage of it when they see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Lemlin wrote: »
    It's blatant enough alright. The same last year when Meath and Louth were the big story and drew each other.

Hats off to them I say though. The GAA know a money spinner and take advantage of it when they see it.
    sure when youre at it isnt a Dublin Meath final a fix then so!

Kildare county board are puppets of croke park working to boost their coffers by throwing the semi final and alowing a much more high profile game than a Kildare v Dublin final.

Or......
    maybe the draw was fair and everyone is just looking for stuff to be humpy about seeing as their team couldnt beat a Div3 outfit like Meath.
    Cavan jammily avoided being a Div4 team so Kildare should have nothing to worry about. It should be an easier task than the Leinster semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

sure when youre at it isnt a Dublin Meath final a fix then so!

Kildare county board are puppets of croke park working to boost their coffers by throwing the semi final and alowing a much more high profile game than a Kildare v Dublin final.

Or......
    maybe the draw was fair and everyone is just looking for stuff to be humpy about seeing as their team couldnt beat a Div3 outfit like Meath.
    Cavan jammily avoided being a Div4 team so Kildare should have nothing to worry about. It should be an easier task than the Leinster semi.

Easy it won't be.Cavan are generally a poor team but the performances are getting better and I think they are consolidating the panel.They put in a gutsy display against Donegal and beat Fermanagh on their own turf.

Given that the prodigal son Seanie may step out onto Breffni in a Kildare shirt, he may be subjected to hostile crowd.Kildare may not perform given the expectation put on them and they are failing to deliver.

blackbelt wrote: »
    Easy it won't be.Cavan are generally a poor team but the performances are getting better and I think they are consolidating the panel.They put in a gutsy display against Donegal and beat Fermanagh on their own turf.

Given that the prodigal son Seanie may step out onto Breffni in a Kildare shirt, he may be subjected to hostile crowd.Kildare may not perform given the expectation put on them and they are failing to deliver.

Even without Seanie playing, Kildare are going to be subjected to a hostile crowd I'd imagine.

Cavan aren't near the level Kildare are at to be honest. Terry Hyland started a 3 to 4 year plan with the Cavan team only a couple of months ago when appointed. Kildare are coming to the end of their 5th championship under McGeeney. Only last week in a Hogan Stand interview Pauric O'Reilly, team captain, commented that the team realise it takes 2 to 3 years of hard conditioning to be successful and they are only starting this.

You are correct about consolidating the panel. I think the stat is that Cavan had had 76 different debuting players in the last five to six years. The huge change of the panel each year is not working so the plan is for Hyland to bring the lads up from the U21s that he was so successful with and have a set panel that can be worked with for a number of years, with only a small amount of additions/leavers each year.

I'd be hopeful of us giving Kildare a game in a home match, we've players like Jack Brady, Gearoid McKiernan and Eugene Keating who are capable of causing them problems. That said, the eldest of the three lads I've just mentioned is 23 so experience is a huge problem. David Givney, a promising midfielder and great fielder when playing in the forward line, went off injured with a shoulder injury also yesterday and I wouldn't expect he'll be back.

Even without Seanie playing, Kildare are going to be subjected to a hostile crowd I'd imagine.

Cavan aren't near the level Kildare are at to be honest. Terry Hyland started a 3 to 4 year plan with the Cavan team only a couple of months ago when appointed. Kildare are coming to the end of their 5th championship under McGeeney. Only last week in a Hogan Stand interview Pauric O'Reilly, team captain, commented that the team realise it takes 2 to 3 years of hard conditioning to be successful and they are only starting this.

You are correct about consolidating the panel. I think the stat is that Cavan had had 76 different debuting players in the last five to six years. The huge change of the panel each year is not working so the plan is for Hyland to bring the lads up from the U21s that he was so successful with and have a set panel that can be worked with for a number of years, with only a small amount of additions/leavers each year.

I'd be hopeful of us giving Kildare a game in a home match, we've players like Jack Brady, Gearoid McKiernan and Eugene Keating who are capable of causing them problems. That said, the eldest of the three lads I've just mentioned is 23 so experience is a huge problem. David Givney, a promising midfielder and great fielder when playing in the forward line, went off injured with a shoulder injury also yesterday and I wouldn't expect he'll be back.
    A hostile crowd will spur Kildare on lemlin! Cavan can be as hostile as they like Kildare will be up for it BIGTIME

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Lemlin thankfully Givney will be ready for Kildare in 2 weeks time the injury was not as bad as it seemed. I agree with the rest though, Cavan are a long, long way behind Kildare and once the ball is thrown in and the media circus is forgotten, I expect Kildare to beat us and beat us well. This is a case of showing some heart and keeping as close as we can to Kildare.

Kildare and McGeeney will face a hostile crowd in Cavan. We are great for turning out in numbers when things are going well and I would imagine the interest in this game will bring out a large support for Cavan. Strangely this game more than any other will bring together the players and the supporters, against Donegal there was barely a murmur when Cavan took to the field. Expect a different reaction this time.

What date is the match on? Gotta make sure I can get to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

A hostile crowd will spur Kildare on lemlin! Cavan can be as hostile as they like Kildare will be up for it BIGTIME

I would imagine this to be the case. Kildare are not as bad as made out from yesterday but the draw has been kind to Kildare.After yesterdays display, I would fancy a team like Tyrone to beat Kildare if they were to reproduce the same level of performances again in the next round.

• Advertisement

blackbelt wrote: »
    I would imagine this to be the case. Kildare are not as bad as made out from yesterday but the draw has been kind to Kildare.After yesterdays display, I would fancy a team like Tyrone to beat Kildare if they were to reproduce the same level of performances again in the next round.

I tell you one thing mate the Kildare lads are hurting expect a backlash in breffni!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭jack67

Seanie is a lily white and we will cheer as he buries bad memories of brutal football in cavan

yea rite:p

Kildare will do talking on the day!!! I'm not getting dragged into another **** stirrers trolling so I'll leave it there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

What date is the match on? Gotta make sure I can get to it!

Weekend of 14th/15th July. Probably will be 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭jack67

I tell you one thing mate the Kildare lads are hurting expect a backlash in breffni!!!

i suppose your right,kidare are more than capable of blowing cavan away,thats the level they are at,but when will they be able for any of the stronger teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I see i'm not the only one thinking it was a fix.
    They will probably have this as a stand-alone game,hoping that they will get a big crowd of neutrals from Meath,Monaghan,Longford,Fermanagh etc who will come expecting "blood".
    Unfortunately we are not close to Kildares level at the minute ,they are a top 6-8 team whereas we are borderline top 20.
    I don't expect another Cork debacle because we have a better team than in 2010 and i don't think this Kildare team are just as good as that Cork one was,but we will struggle to keep this close.
    Kildare by 6-8 points.

The average age of Cavan's team yesterday was 23. 22 when the subs were included. There were only 3 players on the pitch for Cavan over the age of 25.

This is very much a team in progress and I think the county knows that a Cavan team in its first year of development are no match for a Kildare team that have been playing for 5 years now under McGeeney.

As another poster said above though, it'll be a big match for our lads on our home ground and, after the Louth Meath televised game last year, will give another chance to showcase Breffni.

The average age of Cavan's team yesterday was 23. 22 when the subs were included. There were only 3 players on the pitch for Cavan over the age of 25.

This is very much a team in progress and I think the county knows that a Cavan team in its first year of development are no match for a Kildare team that have been playing for 5 years now under McGeeney.

As another poster said above though, it'll be a big match for our lads on our home ground and, after the Louth Meath televised game last year, will give another chance to showcase Breffni.

I genuinely think Cavan can cause Kildare a few problems in this one.
    It was the new Meath players that caused Kildare problems yesterday and I think Cavans young side can do the same.
    Kildare play to such a tight structure under McGeeny it strangles any individual flair from his players.
    When they were met with a fresh Meath side who showed no fear and had no baggage of prior defeats, they seemed unable to adjust. It was like they couldn't understand why the same tactics used to defeat Meath in numerous recent games wasn't working.
    Like Meath yesterday, this Cavan team will not fear Kildare as they have no history of multiple defeats to them.
    9 out of 10 times Kildare win this match up. But there is always that chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Yesterday was an awful result for Kildare and they got lucky with the Draw this morning. They should see off Cavan easily but yesterday shows that McGeeney hasn't done a good enough job with the team he has.

How did they not use the ball into Doyle who was doing damage?? He then took him off.

A result for football IMO after the way Kildare have carried on recently.

• Advertisement

AGC wrote: »
    Yesterday was an awful result for Kildare and they got lucky with the Draw this morning. They should see off Cavan easily but yesterday shows that McGeeney hasn't done a good enough job with the team he has.

How did they not use the ball into Doyle who was doing damage?? He then took him off.

A result for football IMO after the way Kildare have carried on recently.

What way have Kildare CARRIED ON??? Now don't start this **** here again there is no need

Advertisement