Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Half time scores:

Athy 1-12 Allenwood 0-3

Leixlip 3-3 Ballymore 1-2

Athy 3-15 Allenwood 0-8

Leixlip 3-9 Ballymore 1-6

No surprises tonight. The IFC semi finals at the weekend should be a lot more competitive.

Joe Mallon Motors RENAULT SFC Semi Finals:

Celbridge v Moorefield

Athy v Sarsfields

Double header next Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

While it was a one sided game, it was still well worth a look. That Athy team was a joy to watch. They eased up in the second half, understandably so. Hugh Mahon (2 goals) and Cian Reynolds cannot get a start, that says it all really. Paddy Dunne and Eddie Delahunt stood out. Darroch Mulhall was excellent as well, kicking points for fun off both feet. Allenwood never got going at all, JD was trying and failing to kick hollywood points all night.

Huge crowd at Hawkfield tonight. No problems with parking as the field on the Newbridge side was open. I hopped the fence behind the goals, wasn't asked for a penny. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Johner wrote: »
    I'd expect Straffan to destroy Rathcoffey and Castlemitchell.

Straffan cruising.

2-10 to 0-5.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't take a giant leap of faith to see Straffan going as far as Two Mile House last year.

IFC Semi Finals:

Eadestown 1-16 Kilcock 2-12
    Round Towers 2-9 Castledermot 1-8

Eadestown and Kilcock served up a terrific contest. Eadestown started like a train before they conceded two goals in a minute before half time. Kilcock were wasteful in the second half only adding three points in half an hour. Eadestown just hung in there and kicked the last three scores to win it by the minimum. The winner was a great point from distance. I was impressed with Shane O'Rourke for Kilcock who looked dangerous anytime he got his hands on the ball. The Boltons helped kept Eadestown in touch and Barry Lawlor was also prominent.

The second match was much more attritional. Castledermot kicked far too many bad wides. Had they taken even half of their chances they might have won. Towers were in control for most of the game after a shaky enough start and never really looked like losing. Ugly scenes towards the end of the game. Paul Cornish will be banned for the final now which will be a blow to Towers chances in that.

As predicted by most, Straffan stroll the JFC. It's such a weak competition, a lot of very bad sides in it in recent years.

Eadestown were many people's dark horses for the intermediate. Still surprised to see them in the final. Wouldn't even attempt to call the winner, the intermediate has been so unpredictable, even more so that previous years.

Really looking forward to the two SFC semis at the weekend, should be two cracking games.

Niall Carew expected to be named Westmeath manager tomorrow night. Glenn Ryan and Dermot Earley in the running for the Offaly job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I taught luke dempsey was in for the west meath job too...

I couldn't imagine two kildare men looking after Offaly. There could be a managers job in Sarsfields if They Dont win the championship this year That could also suit early. But I reckon him and mcstay have a bit of magic!!

• Advertisement

Current Towers manager Padraig Dunne will probably get the Offaly job. The Towers job would be Glenn's if he wanted it.

Would Padraig Brennan be the heir apparent to Crofton out in Roseberry after his work with the minors Roy?

Them minors are good natural footballers and a blind man could do what pa brennan is doing with them. Keith hedderman had them last year and got shafted out he would of done the same job as brennan is doing.

A friend of mine recently showed me a copy of a Sarsfields underage coaching handbook. I was blown away by the depth of thinking behind it. This is the sort of thing that should be copied by every other big club in the county. Sarsfields might have a huge pick and a great tradition but they are certainly not resting on their laurels.

They're certainly not and fair play to them. They put the likes of Naas and Leixlip to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Brophy confirmed as gone as well.

4 of the best underage players we have produced in years are off playing other sports now. That's almost 1/3 of a potential starting team for the next decade unavailable before we start.

The loss of Brophy is huge. He's one of the few scoring forwards we have but having said that, hopefully Darroch Mulhall will stay injury free for 2015 to soften the blow.

I would be surprised if Eanna O'Connor isn't sounded out now. He is nailed on to finish the championship as top scorer now that Johnny Doyle's year is over.

Very hard to call the two football semi finals tomorrow. If Paddy Brophy is unavailable then that gives Moorefield a slight advantage. If he plays I would give Celbridge a great shout of causing the upset. Athy and Sarsfields both come into the second game on the back of facile quarter final wins. There appears to be a bit more steel about Athy this year and they should advance if hitting top form although Sarsfields do appear to be coming to the boil at the right time.

• Advertisement

The hurling final on Sunday should be straightforward for Celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Really looking forward to both games tomorrow. Hopefully the weather will be better than today and we will see 2 cracking games.

Moorefield Athy final for me

Won't make the two semis today. Gutted. :( Twitter updates will have to suffice.

I expect reports on the games to be on here this evening. :P

Moorefield 1-3 Celbridge 0-2. Niall Hurley Lynch goal after 9 seconds

1-5 1-2 at HT. Conor Brophy with Celbridge goal

1-5 apiece coming into the last 10 minutes

Moorefield win 1-8 to 1-6

Terrible game. Celbridge should of won that. Its the one that got away I think.

Athy leading by 6 points to 2. Some excellent scoring so far

• Advertisement

Athy up by 1 at the break

Advertisement