Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 21, Stage 18: Pinerolo - Galibier Serre-Chevalier 189km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

2smiggy wrote: »
    last years time trial results

just a bit of interest to see how they all did on the time trail last year

And this year's Dauphine time trial results, for good measure. It's a pity more of the GC contenders didn't compete in the Dauphine this year, it'd be nice to have an idea of how they'd all do on this circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Crippens1

Doesn't the rule state that if a rider is re-instated they have to have points deducted ? Did I get that straight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Just out of interest, what was Cav's finishing time today?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,979 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

and 2009 time trial results

andy not too bad on the time trials as they like to make out. another few seconds to do him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

CramCycle wrote: »
    None of them get points for the day though if they are let back (so said eurosport)

No apparently they are deducted points..... so.... Cav leads Rojas by 15pts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

leftism wrote: »

35 mins 40 down in the same group as LL Sanchez and Gilbert amongst others.

must have been going full pelt ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

35'40, same as all the other cyclists from 81st down in the stage. :)

It looks like he was maybe docked points, on the official site. It has him on 320 in one place, but 300 elsewhere. Seems to be the case for this Tour anyway, so he only has 15 on Rojas now. He needs to be careful to stay in the time limit tomorrow so!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

D3PO wrote: »
    my point is dont have a limit and if you do enforce it. lets be honest the sprinters might not be moutain goats but you can be sure they took it fairly handy today aswell kowning that its safety in numbers
    Handy?! I don't think anybody cycling up there today could be considered taking it handy, even if they were last over the line.

Look at Cav and some of the other sprinters finishing high enough up on Tuesday I think it was...ahead of a lot of climbers, they give it there best....they just can't help it that their sh1te at climbing :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Just remember Evans rode this with a broken elbow !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

evans near last - how come everyone reckons he's a good time trialler :p

and he had a broken elbow

as i said TdF TT's are different when they matter, i can imagine voeckler riding much better if, heaven forbid he's still in yellow

• Advertisement

Yeah i saw that, but i wonder what his ACTUAL finishing time was? OR do we reckon that over half the actual startlist came in on +35.40? They must have all come up the Galibier holding hands if thats the case.... Or maybe Festina or whoever runs the timing system just got fed up waiting around!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭furiousox

Chapeau to Evans.
    Hell of a ride and a great stage to watch.
    Can't wait for l'alpe d'huez tomorrow!

CPL 593H

Is it only Cav who lost points or did Gilbert as well!?

Yeah i saw that, but i wonder what his ACTUAL finishing time was? OR do we reckon that over half the actual startlist came in on +35.40? They must have all come up the Galibier holding hands if thats the case.... Or maybe Festina or whoever runs the timing system just got fed up waiting around!

hense me saying they took it handy. no way does half the field come in on the same time unless they were riding significantly within themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thats how the bus works, some of the older heads work out the time limit and try and work it out and get them in on time, if it looks like a number of will be struggling everyone sticks together and they will never exclude a bunch of riders that big.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Is it only Gilbert who lost points or did Gilbert as well!?

you cruel man deducting Gilbert twice :p:p I assume they all got a deduction.

good news for JJ Rojas

Rojas was inside the cut off so if same happens tomorrow Rojas will be in Green for the sprint in paris!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I remember reading for last years TdF, the Schlecks had Bobby Ullich helping them improve their TTing. I'm off tomorrow :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

At 9pm tonight Thomas Voeckler will be performing yet another amazing feat , he will be attempting to walk on water followed by turning it into wine. :eek:

D3PO wrote: »
    you cruel man deducting Gilbert twice :p:p I assume they all got a deduction.

good news for JJ Rojas
    Shhhh.... :)

• Advertisement

Lets just assume they deduct points from Cav again tomorrow (can't see him climbing any quicker than he did today). The green jersey could come down to a sprint finish on the Champs Elysees! Man, this is the Tour that just keeps on giving.....

Fantastic stuff!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

AS looks in trouble ;)

*****I have the right to still comment on AS condition 1 hour after the finish******

That was excellent, fair play to Roche, he sounded like a man who had a cold based on todays piece in the Indo but he held on well. Goes to show how strong AS is in fairness.

That man deserves a snackbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

jiffybag wrote: »
    At 9pm tonight Thomas Voeckler will be performing yet another amazing feat , he will be attempting to walk on water followed by turning it into wine. :eek:

He may as well because tomorrow he gets crucified!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Pherekydes wrote: »

In fairness today he wasn't expected to do as well as he did. He was completely wrecked at the end of it there.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    They have been saying that for days now. I am hoping that he holds on.
    Was interesting watching it live when Cadel turned to him and gestured for him to work and he nodded his head 'No'!
    Plus near the finish there was a close up when Rolland went to the front and he yelled something at him.
    Phil and Paul said he was encouraging him but I reckon the opposite because very shortly after Rolland pulled off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

pure class from cadel today, looked the business chasing it down, and it paid off he got AC off the back, and sam with his mechincal wasnt able stay on either. now he needs make sure doesnt lose time tomorrow to andy and go well in tt, the frandy attack makes tings though on him thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

Aoibheann wrote: »
    And this year's Dauphine time trial results, for good measure. It's a pity more of the GC contenders didn't compete in the Dauphine this year, it'd be nice to have an idea of how they'd all do on this circuit.

40 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Team Europcar 0:03:18
    41 Imanol Erviti Ollo (Spa) Movistar Team 0:03:22
    42 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0:03:27
    43 Nicolas Roche (Irl) AG2R La Mondiale 0:03:31

Tommy is about the same standard as nico... he's fecked! :p... thought sammy sanchez would have been better than the two of them. must have been an off day.

Have to say i was well impressed with andy today. when you think about it, he climbed nearly 3000m on his own and even when evans was going full gas at the end he wasn't gaining that much on him. impressive to maintain that speed for so long. . i guess it proves that he's much better off riding a fast steady pace in the mountains than trying to put in short sharp accelerations

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

bcmf wrote: »
    No apparently they are deducted points..... so.... Cav leads Rojas by 15pts

Rojas finished about four minutes in front of Cav, but two minutes inside the cut-off, so Cav is deducted 20 points (down from 320 to 300) and Rojas stays on 285.

http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/LIVE/us/1800/classement/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ColSheehan

Seems Cav wasn't the only one who was deducted points for being outside the time limit, gilbert and a few others were the same!

Chapeau Andy, after all that looking back for Frank and silly attacks to gain a mere two seconds on rivals, what can I say but congrats on a fantastic race today.. I was as surprised as anyone for him attacking 60km from the finish and holding out for the win in the end.. The real winner is Tommy V though somehow keeping the jersey for another day! Really hope he can hold it tomorrow as well but we'll have to wait and see. Regardless, I'll be watching the stage all day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Just finished watching a replay - a truly epic stage.

I bashed Andy like many others but fair b'alls to him, its been a long time since someone took it up so far out. His team got it right tactics wise but the way he largely held all the way up the final climb was brilliant - a super ride and thanks to him we had such a stage.

Would love to be privy to the Sanchez Contador chats 30k out, wonder if they both knew they were fecked at that stages as it was weird the way Sanchez had at least 3 team mates with him at one stage but only stuck one man to pull on the front. The group lost a lot of time to Andy on the run into the Galibier.

Magnificent heart from Tommy (and Evans too) plus some other super rides - Rolland.

Just goes to show how much things change day to day with Contador attacking the past few days then getting shelled today. God knows what will happen yet. Some seriously tired legs out there now so will be interesting to see who cracks.

Nico got a good bit of Tv time and obviously put a lot into the break etc but all the same he had a free ride for a long time into the bottom of the Galibier and got shelled quick enough on the steeper stuff. Off form maybe, but i think that kinda confirms to me he has no hope of ever making a top 5 as there are plenty better than him going up steeper stuff so he should defo look at stage wins on less steeper stages.

Last year was s'hite but this is truly awesome. Roll on tomorrow

Advertisement