Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got caught out calling a non-O2 number

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

ardmacha wrote: »
    Right, so "data protection" means that you will not tell a customer how much a call to a particular number will cost. Great stuff altogether.

On the contrary, I'll tell them that if they hear a beep before it connects, it will cost them X amount per minute.

If they hear no beep, I will tell them it costs Y amount per minute.

Seriously, not hard to get the head round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

sdeire wrote: »
    Seriously, not hard to get the head round.

And if you had a dual SIM phone, you might reasonably want to make a call on the network which will charge least for it; or if you're calling a mobile from a landline you might reasonably want to know what the call will cost before you make it; or if you have a multi SIM GSM gateway, you might reasonably want to be able to program your PBX least cost routing to minimise your call charges.

Seriously, very easy to get your head around too . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,400 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You must have missed the beed OP.
    I've been on bill for a while but I ususally have all inclusive minutes so I doubt I ever would have had this issue.

I have to say, the O2 Simplicity play is probably going to get a lot of more basic users off of PAYG and onto Bill.
    150 mins, 150 txts a month for 15 quid a month, only a one month committment so no contract.
    I've been getting a few people I know who would spend about 30-40 quid a month onto this package and they are saving a lot while realising that PAYG really wasnt the best option for them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

kippy wrote: »
    You must have missed the beed OP.

i missed the beep too, he must have applied for a new job again:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

gizmo555 wrote: »
    And if you had a dual SIM phone, you might reasonably want to make a call on the network which will charge least for it; or if you're calling a mobile from a landline you might reasonably want to know what the call will cost before you make it; or if you have a multi SIM GSM gateway, you might reasonably want to be able to program your PBX least cost routing to minimise your call charges.

Seriously, very easy to get your head around too . . .

The pair of you are lost causes; I give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

xsiborg wrote: »
    ...incidentally that mobile status website DOES work, as it was able to identify that my number had been ported fron Vodafone to Hutchinson 3G...
    Glad to hear it works but can you advise please how you got it to work. I've tried translating the site but can't seem to find the actual number checking app. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,731 ✭✭✭✭phog

For meteor customers - from their website

Anyone can join Meteor, but keep their O2 or VODAFONE number (and likewise if a Meteor customer wants to leave), and so it is not possible to say whether someone's mobile number is part of the Meteor network from looking at the telephone number alone. That is, an 085 number could now be either Meteor, Vodafone or O2. Likewise, an O2 or Vodafone number could now be part of the Meteor network.

To check whether or not the number is part of the Meteor network, you can simply send a text with your phone number in the body of the text, to 50004 For example, to determine if the person with the number 087 1234567 is a Meteor subscriber then simply send a text with 0871234567 to the number 50004. A response will be sent, indicating whether or not the number is part of the Meteor network. If it is, all of the excellent same network rates apply. If the mobile number is part of Vodafone or O2, calls will be charged at off-network rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My main sim has no credit on it. So if I try to ring off network on it. the call doesn't go through. So I use my 2nd sim (dual sim phone) which has free credit on it.

If you ring lots of new numbers a lot, then you pick a plan that gives you the best minutes to any network. If you ring the same numbers most of the time, then pick a plan that gives you the cheapest rate to your most expensive calls, usually the ones you call the most. Personally I fall into the latter group so I'm on a plan that gives me free calls and text to 80~90% to all the calls.

I think I've spent about 40 on credit in the last 12 months. Whereas I used to spend 40+ a month.

You can get a dual sim for data too. One sim for calls the other for data. If your main sim (and thus calls) are on a network with a bad data pricing..

Advertisement