Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny has let rip on the Vatican.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

philologos wrote: »
    Galvasean: He mentioned in the speech that he himself is a practising Catholic, so I don't see in its totality that one could draw that conclusion really.

"offer support" was a bad choice of words on my part. 'Turn a blind eye to the crimes of..." would have been more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

I've re-watched this and re-read the transcript a few times now and it's beginning to sink in. The leader of this "little island state that could" may just be the first first-world leader to have done anything like this. Not bowing in deference to the head medicine man of a cult that consumes a lot of this country and others and specifically of which our leader calls himself a follower, not giving those who administer this religion the carte blanch to do what they want "because they talk to god y'know"....the list goes on....

I'm going to bed a happier man this evening and I can't quite describe why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Malty_T wrote: »
    Is anyone body else looking forward to David Quinn's response to all this?:D
    The nation's leader speaking out strongly against a particular religious group?

Echoes of 1930's Germany, for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

When's Ratzinger due to come to Ireland?

He's gonna have to shake hands with a card carrying <snip> homosexual </snip> and then with someone who effectively called him a narcissist and elitist!

Interesting times ahead!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Pace2008 wrote: »

He did not speak out against a particular religious group, he spoke out against the anti social and immoral actions of individuals in positions of authority within a particular religious group. Big difference there.

No better man than Ratzinger then, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I don't recall Hitler giving out to the Pope about massive abuse cover-ups.

And while we're on the topic, Hitler was rather kind towards the Church, and they suspiciously kind to him.

Alright, we'll come back in a few years. If all the Catholics are rounded up in concentration camps I owe you a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Enda Kenny's words are no good without actions and as usual he will chicken out from doing anything. Just wait and see. Good speech though but no actions to follow. Full marks to the speech writer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

I'm willing to give Pace the benefit of the doubt for now and assume he was predicting David Quinn's response...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

Didn't Pius whatever-number-he-was help SS members escape Europe after World War 2?

I'll regard this as I regard all political speeches - hot air until action is forthcoming. A good start would be getting rid of the oppressive theocratic laws that remain in this country. Safe and legal abortion is top of the list, along with easy access to contraception (it's taxed as if it's a luxury item ffs!). I'd like to see the state sever all its links with the Catholic Church in this country. Much as the "abusers" (I despise that euphemism) are a tiny minority within the Church, the organisation as a whole has sheltered child molesters and resisted efforts to take these people to account. If the government stands with this crowd of criminals, they condone this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Zillah wrote: »
    I don't recall Hitler giving out to the Pope about massive abuse cover-ups.

And while we're on the topic, Hitler was rather kind towards the Church, and they suspiciously kind to him.
    He did not speak out against a particular religious group, he spoke out against the anti social and immoral actions of individuals in positions of authority within a particular religious group. Big difference there.
    Take off your atheist hats, get yourself into David "Catholics are being persecuted" Quinn mentality, and read Enda Kenny's speech again.

Here's an earlier worked example on how to go all Godwin on any government motion to remove the Church from its ascendancy.

Damn you Poe's Law, you got me again! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

smokingman wrote: »
    The leader of this "little island state that could" may just be the first first-world leader to have done anything like this.
    Well, apart from Henry VIII and a few others, who said "From now on I'm the one making the laws in this country..." :D

So we now have an unholy trinity operating here; Kenny, Shatter and Ruairí Quinn.
    Interesting times alright.
    1.There is talk of amalgamating the Vatican and Italian embassies (both in Rome) to save money. That would also show a lack of deference to the "sovereign state" pretence that the Holy See likes to keep up, which is probably why it wasn't done before now.

2.There are moves by Quinn for the handover of schools in lieu of money for unpaid Ryan report compensation costs.

3.Shatter is draughting new laws for the mandatory reporting of current and historical child abuse. This episode where the DPP was unable to prosecute spurred that on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Nice words from Enda, but as others have pointed out, meaningless unless followed by actions.

Personally I'd start by amending the Charities Act to remove any reference to "Advancement of Religion" as a charitable purpose, which means the church don't have to pay tax on money received, regardless of what they use it for, charity or not.

Charities Act 2009:
    3.—(1) For the purposes of this Act each of the following shall,
    subject to subsection (2), be a charitable purpose:
    (a) the prevention or relief of poverty or economic hardship;
    (b) the advancement of education;
    (c) the advancement of religion;
    (d) any other purpose that is of benefit to the community.
    (2) A purpose shall not be a charitable purpose unless it is of
    public benefit.

Any money used for charitable purposes should be tax-free, any money used for other purposes should be taxed.

The RCC has shown that it should be treated just like any other amoral, faceless corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I'm surprised and disappointed by the number of people who didn't didn't see the sarcasm in pace2008's post.

For shame, A&A!

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I'm surprised and disappointed by the number of people who didn't didn't see the sarcasm in pace2008's post.

For shame, A&A!

Based on the many wackos that make it their business to stop by it can be hard to tell the wood from the trees these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I believe his words of condemnation are sincere. Regardless of his party or politics, he is expressing the revulsion of any right-thinking human being towards these abominable crimes. These words will be utterly meaningless, however, if he doesn't follow them up with actions which include the following:

1)Transfer EVERY school in the state from church to public ownership immediately. No more teaching children about the Purportedly Magic Rabbi on State-funded school-time from now on. If parents want to teach their kids those myths, or any other myths, they can do it on their own time, and without the financial backing of the State. Our State has absolutely no business promoting and funding one religious belief system over all the others, if we are serious about being a modern, inclusive, egalitarian State.

2)Seize Church assets to pay their 50% share of the 1.36bn euro bill for reparations to the victims of rape, torture and enslavement. Yes, that is 1,360,000,000 euros.

3)Set up a constitutional review committee to remove the special status of the RC Church from our constitution and remove all religious references from that document and create a real separation of church and state. I don't know exactly how this can be done, but it must be done.

4)Enshrine the inalienable human rights of children in our constitution.

5) Make it crystal clear to the Vatican that our civil law trumps their dumb-ass Canon Law EVERY time, when dealing with the indecent assault and rape of children. EVERY TIME. As soon as any member of the clergy has credible suspicion of child-rape or indecent assault, they report this information to the police immediately. No more hush-money, no more dealing with these unspeakable crimes in-house, no more of our State turning a blind eye to this international criminal conspiracy of concealment. Any priest caught raping children must be sacked and handed over to the police, forthwith, anything less is a cover-up.

6) Expel the papal nuncio from Ireland, until we get written guarantees from Ratzinger, that he accepts point 5 without reservation.

7) Withdraw our recognition of the Vatican and the Holy See as a state at the UN immediately. Oh, wait, that means the papal nuncio will be expelled permanently. Good.

8) No State visit for Herr Ratzinger next year or any year or for any of his successors. The Irish taxpayer has paid enough money on behalf of the Vatican and their criminality already. We are broke, we can't afford it. If he wants to visit our country, let the creepy, querulous old virgin pay for the trip himself. Fly Ryanair, Josef, and buy yourself a scratch ticket. You might win enough to buy yourself a brand new pointy hat. Hopefully there will be a few of An Garda Siochana's finest, waiting for him on the runway at Knock, to put the hand-cuffs on him and put him on the next plane to the Hague to face trial for crimes against humanity.

Without these actions, our State will continue to fail in its duty to protect children from these monsters. We have failed for too long already. They haven't gone away, you know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Hitler was Jewish? :confused:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

robindch wrote: »

An "unprecedented attack"?! He didn't fly a plane into a church. He criticised it, sternly and well.

Bah, damn RTÉ.

An "unprecedented attack"?! He didn't fly a plane into a church. He criticised it, sternly and well. He criticised it, sternly and well.
    While that kind of military reference isn't generally accurate, in the specific context of the supine diplomatic responses of most governments to the Vatican, I think the term is fair enough.

Enda's speech is certainly unprecedented in diplomatic terms, while the Vatican's long-term behaviour fills in the grotesque, unbelievable and bizarre bits(*)

Imagines Enda flying the government jet into the dome of St Peters...

(*) anybody remember GUBU?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Good auld Enda, going for the big distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

If he doesnt expel the Papal Nuncio then the speech is worthless. All well and good to make nice speeches. But if it ends up as just words (like his pre election promises did) we are back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Fair play to Enda, he's not brushing all this under the carpet and pretending it never happened, unlike previous govts did. It's a bit weird to see a centre-right christian democratic party having a go at the Vatican, but it's about time the State moved away from the influence of the Church, which has pretty much been dictating policy to the govt with regard to things like divorce and abortion for years.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Is anyone body else looking forward to David Quinn's response to all this?:D
    Quinn's response is that Enda has quoted Ratzinger "out of context":

http://www.irishcatholic.ie/site/content/taoiseach-quotes-pope-out-context

Ratzinger's comment first appeared in this lengthy rant about how intolerable Ratzinger finds internal dissent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

I believe his words of condemnation are sincere. Regardless of his party or politics, he is expressing the revulsion of any right-thinking human being towards these abominable crimes. These words will be utterly meaningless, however, if he doesn't follow them up with actions which include the following:

1)Transfer EVERY school in the state from church to public ownership immediately. No more teaching children about the Purportedly Magic Rabbi on State-funded school-time from now on. If parents want to teach their kids those myths, or any other myths, they can do it on their own time, and without the financial backing of the State. Our State has absolutely no business promoting and funding one religious belief system over all the others, if we are serious about being a modern, inclusive, egalitarian State.

2)Seize Church assets to pay their 50% share of the 1.36bn euro bill for reparations to the victims of rape, torture and enslavement. Yes, that is 1,360,000,000 euros.

3)Set up a constitutional review committee to remove the special status of the RC Church from our constitution and remove all religious references from that document and create a real separation of church and state. I don't know exactly how this can be done, but it must be done.

5) Make it crystal clear to the Vatican that our civil law trumps their dumb-ass Canon Law EVERY time, when dealing with the indecent assault and rape of children. EVERY TIME. As soon as any member of the clergy has credible suspicion of child-rape or indecent assault, they report this information to the police immediately. No more hush-money, no more dealing with these unspeakable crimes in-house, no more of our State turning a blind eye to this international criminal conspiracy of concealment. Any priest caught raping children must be sacked and handed over to the police, forthwith, anything less is a cover-up.

6) Expel the papal nuncio from Ireland, until we get written guarantees from Ratzinger, that he accepts point 5 without reservation.

7) Withdraw our recognition of the Vatican and the Holy See as a state at the UN immediately. Oh, wait, that means the papal nuncio will be expelled permanently. Good.

8) No State visit for Herr Ratzinger next year or any year or for any of his successors. The Irish taxpayer has paid enough money on behalf of the Vatican and their criminality already. We are broke, we can't afford it. If he wants to visit our country, let the creepy, querulous old virgin pay for the trip himself. Fly Ryanair, Josef, and buy yourself a scratch ticket. You might win enough to buy yourself a brand new pointy hat. Hopefully there will be a few of An Garda Siochana's finest, waiting for him on the runway at Knock, to put the hand-cuffs on him and put him on the next plane to the Hague to face trial for crimes against humanity.

Without these actions, our State will continue to fail in its duty to protect children from these monsters. We have failed for too long already. They haven't gone away, you know?

Very well said. Secularism FTW!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did i read somewhere that the vatican being treated as a state in the UN violates the UN's own rules?
    it was based on the rule that the UN require a state to have a 'permanent' population to be considered a state, and one where there are no births and people move there at a certain age does not meet these requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

It'd be worth rewriting this and sending it to the national papers.

Advertisement