Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny has let rip on the Vatican.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Ok who else took that as he farted in the popes gaff? G'wan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Inda the Oppressor.
    Seriously, it needed to be said and credit where it's due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pretty strong words. I don't think I expected anyone in government to ever say something like that to the Vatican. Interesting times ahead, to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

It's about time we had a leader who is willing to say was has to be said about this rotten to the core, corrupt, evil and despicable organisation.

I only hope he has the balls to back up his words with action and bring all those within the CC who covered up child abuse to justice and send a clear message that despite what they think, they are not above the laws of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Does anyone think the church will take notice ?

He could at least recall out man in the Vatican for consultations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Craven99

And it is about feckin' time!

Well said - you talked the talk - now let's see if he can walk the walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Definitely instilled a certain amount of confidence in Enda for me. Hopefully times are changing and the church will feck off. maybe he has opened the flood gates and we will hear more of the like from people in the public eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

From someone with Kenny's background and inclination this is a sea-change, and while there is no doubt that it had to be said I'm still impressed both that it was said and that it was said by him. That he criticized the cover up and the Vatican's role so strongly is heartning
    ...report into child sexual-abuse exposes an attempt by the Holy See, to frustrate an Inquiry in a sovereign, democratic republic…as little as three years ago, not three decades ago.

However I still expect to see him roll over and accept whatever nonsense they come back with, but we live in hope, perhaps Quinn can eject them from the educational infrastructure at least in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Is anyone body else looking forward to David Quinn's response to all this?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭smokingman

Fair dues to Kenny, he can turn on the statesman role when he really tries.
    Reminds me of Garret F. at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Enda Kenny: The man who just verbally nailed The Vatican to the cross. Let's see them come back from this in three days. ****ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Seems like a push from the Dáil for the new HSE over zealous 'Children First' policy.
    http://www.dcya.gov.ie/documents/child_welfare_protection/ChildrenFirst.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Its great that it came from Kenny who is a rural and fairly traditional Catholic. The impact wouldnt be the same coming from Gilmore or Ruairi Quinn. Great stuff Mr K!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Malty_T wrote: »
    Is anyone body else looking forward to David Quinn's response to all this?:D

We had Anthony Murphy, someone from The Catholic Voice, on Newstalk just there.

I'd be surprised if David Quinn stooped lower than that gowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Its great that it came from Kenny who is a rural and fairly traditional Catholic. The impact wouldnt be the same coming from Gilmore or Ruairi Quinn. Great stuff Mr K!!!!!

Spot on. The turning point in this country's 'special relationship' with the Catholic Church has come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Nice one, Enda..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

CiaranMT wrote: »
    We had Anthony Murphy, someone from The Catholic Voice, on Newstalk just there.

I'd be surprised if David Quinn stooped lower than that gowl.

Yeah, he made Quinn sound rational. Some anecdote about his son being on some Legion of Christ camp and not being abused, therefore the Catholic Church was completely safe. Mad stuff.

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Rhetoric is meaningless, actions speak louder than words.

In fairness rhetoric is meaningless but given our history and relationship with the Vatican I think the fact there's actually some rhetoric being said counts for quite a lot.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Qatolic Qonspiritor Quinn advises on his twitter machine that Enda is misquoting Ratzinger.

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    Quinn advises on his twitter machine that Enda is misquoting Ratzinger.

Feck sake for a moment there I thought you were referring to Ruairi Quinn. :mad:Please guys can we specify which quinn we are referring to as this is getting a tad confusing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dublogic

Finally! Now if we can get these anti-children, catholic church scum out of our schools.

Come on Ruairi!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

Brilliant speech. I am REALLY looking forward to seeing the response.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

How can anyone still be a catholic.

I would like to see a newspaper article on the history of the church and all their errors highlighted along the way.

An extract from dawkins and hitchens books could accompany it.

I really feel that this is the end of the church, and it will start to disappear with a little whimper, in a few years people will look back and wonder how it lasted so long.

Have a look at videos of the popes visit in 79, it was madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

I really wish I could believe there was more to this than Enda Kenny looking for something to distract attention from the bashing he's been getting over local hospitals.

Look, its fine so far as it goes. And its even a little significant that Enda sees having a go at the Catholic Church as the new black. But we need something more concrete, in terms of intentions and plans to remove Church control from State funded health services and schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 scotlyn

I've disagreed with every move made by this government, but this statement of Kenny's is certainly a game-changer in Irish church state relations - a powerful signal of intent. Let us give credit where credit is due, and give him plenty of kudos and support for it.

Maybe, just maybe, with that kind of encouragement, he might even grow a backbone that'll help him stand up to the EU/IMF/ECB kleptocracy to which we've been sold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Words are words. We need to see reasoned action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Fair play to him*. All we need now is some walking the walk.

*And I would not be a FG supporter by any measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

While I hope this is not the extent of Enda's actions to take the RCC to task, a speech like this could make a few of those lapsed cultural Catholics wake the hell up and question why they continue to offer support to a corrupt church.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Galvasean: He mentioned in the speech that he himself is a practising Catholic, so I don't see in its totality that one could draw that conclusion really.

Advertisement