Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell/IRC/Lucan/Tiernans/UCD League - 25M TT

Options
  • 20-07-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have the route for this? Also is the signup in the same place as the 10M TT?

Also does anyone have in hand last years results just to take an idea of timings between groups?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Does anyone have the route for this? Also is the signup in the same place as the 10M TT?

Also does anyone have in hand last years results just to take an idea of timings between groups?

Sign on was usually in Batterstown. Not sure yet if that's the plan for this week. Route is quite straightforward. Go straight down the road to trim, rounda a roundabout, and back.

I have last year's results somewhere at home. I'll try dig them out if no one posts them here first.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You'll be starting about 800m further towards Batterstown from where we started the Boards 10m TT last August. You head in the same direction as the Boards 10m, just turn at the second roundabout rather than the first one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I was actually looking forward to this but I have been struck down by a cold...in summertime, boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

1 hour of pain and you can top it off with a touch of cramp at the end....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'm going to attempt to get to the start line. I'm going to use this to get back on the bike after my crash. I've no aspirations of setting any sort of time, and I suspect I might turn around at the first roundabout as opposed to the second.

Besides, I bought aero bars, might as well give them one run out in the year. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

That was fun. Although I finished without a breath I had a bit more in the tank than I thought for the last 2-3kms, I should have upped the pace a bit earlier, anyway happy with the time in my first ever 25M TT. I almost crashed in the 2nd roundabout, took the corner completely stupid.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

happy with the time

You can't say that without giving us an idea of what the time was Astra (to the nearest second will do;))

Haha sorry I am tired. 01:06:43 was the time on the garmin if my memory serves me right.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

First non-hill TT for me & was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Always thought this was one discipline I'd never be too bothered with, but all I was thinkin about on the way home was that table i've seen on here a few times showing the time saved per euro spent. My beleaguered credit card could be in for more rough times ahead:rolleyes:.

Time was 1:03:23 - was aiming for sub-1:05 so very happy with that. Splits were 16:45/15:45/15:45/15:08. Obviously could have gone out faster, & I think I had a bit in the legs at the end too. One of my clubmates did 58:00, & the fastest was 55:something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Did a 1:00:40-ish myself. Disappointed not to go sub 1 hr but c'est la vie. Ian from UCD got the 55. That's fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Think I got 1:09:09, for some reason I wanted to do sub 1:10 so I achieved that. Happy I was able to cycle actually, wasn't sure if the muscles would last. Slight twinges in the 3rd quarter but more back of the legs than what I actually damaged so I'm putting that down to the position with the aero bars. They were comfortable for most of the distance, only wanted to stand and stretch before the last roundabout.
    Anyway, Congrats to those who finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

55 is awesome. Chappeau. I was expecting the wind to help more on the way back. Seemed to be a cross wind which hurt both directions. Seemed more uphill on the way back too. Testament to the power of the mind to use metaphysical transcendental pain to alter the laws of physics and nature in all of its manifestations. I turned sub 30 thinking I'd freewheel in but the legs weren't on board with the cunning plan.
    First ever 40 k TT with, as Sean would say, a Hooog learning curve. Can't wait for the next one for a proper crack at the sub 60. Not sure of the exact time but somewhere between 101 and 102.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

all I was thinkin about on the way home was that table i've seen on here a few times showing the time saved per euro spent. My beleaguered credit card could be in for more rough times ahead:rolleyes:

haha! I was thinking the exact same thing on the way around. I caught my minute man at about 11km, but at about 13km or 14km, my minute man caught me, and sailed past me with his aero bars and aero helmet, and big gears like I was out for a Sunday spin. Apart from that downer, I'm happy with how I did - was just looking for sub 1:10 because it was my first TT at the distance, but got 1:04:30ish, which was great.

Slightly faster on the way home than on the way out, which was probably a product of being better warmed up, and more willing to push harder (knowing the end was nearer). Really put the gas on from 30km-35km. I found my speed rising and falling with regularity - should I be aiming for a very steady pace for optimum TTing?

edit: until I get the funds to buy the extra aero equipment, I think handicaps should be applied to people with TT gear! :D:p

Haha sorry I am tired. 01:06:43 was the time on the garmin if my memory serves me right.

Congrats - looks like you were the fastest Limit rider!

buffalo wrote: »
    Congrats - looks like you were the fastest Limit rider!

Awesome! How many of us were there? One? :D

Awesome! How many of us were there? One? :D

Three!

http://www.orwellwheelers.org/images/stories/docs/CL2011_R16.xls

55 minutes for a semi scratch rider:eek:

Well done to Niceonetom - breaking the hour - fantastic achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

9 seconds under! I'll take that with both hands.

It's a grim an awful experience though, isn't it? The distance I mean. 10 miles is still somewhat civilised; by the time you're really suffering the end is nearly in sight. On a 25 miler you have so much more to endure, so much more to inflict on yourself. It shouldn't be allowed.

niceonetom wrote: »
    9 seconds under! I'll take that with both hands.

It's a grim an awful experience though, isn't it? The distance I mean. 10 miles is still somewhat civilised; by the time you're really suffering the end is nearly in sight. On a 25 miler you have so much more to endure, so much more to inflict on yourself. It shouldn't be allowed.
    I guess 25 miles feels doable, and hence you feel like you have to push hard throughout.

I have my 4th (and final) one of the year on Sunday, and the conditions are forecast to be the best of the season, so I guess it could be a recipe for suffering throughout. On the others I've had a strong tailwind for half the distance, making it difficult, and more inefficient, to push hard consistently throughout (you actually gain more by working a bit harder into the wind and not so hard with it behind you)

I've my first 50 miler in a few weeks, and given my "experiences" of 25 milers I suspect it will be a matter of trying not to push hard until the last 20km or so, when I'll have an idea if I have anything left to give it a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

1:06:15, the price paid being a stomach with a sailor's knot in it, legs in a warp spasm and a background threat of pukeage. Can't understand the sub-hour times at all at all.

Must give a pair of aerobars a go next time, though I draw the line at the silly helmet and skinsuit.

Could probably have shaved those 15 seconds off I didn't have an ugly battered Lucozade Sport bottle stuck in the bottlecage disrupting my airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

buffalo wrote: »
    edit: until I get the funds to buy the extra aero equipment, I think handicaps should be applied to people with TT gear! :D:p

Quiet you! If this is implemented then the next step will be to handicap lighter people for the hill climb race at which point I may as well just stay at home.

Besides, the price that people with TT gear already pay is pretty steep - their family watch them go out in public in all that gear and then have to put a brave and supportive face on when they return, despite knowing that none of the neighbours will ever speak to them again. They suffer enough already, the quick and scary pointy hat people.

Actually I think we need to have more TTs. We ll start the league with a 10M prologue TT, then have two 25M and finish it off with another 10M.

It's pain, but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

oflahero wrote: »
    Must give a pair of aerobars a go next time, though I draw the line at the silly helmet and skinsuit.

You wouldn't like to shave 3 minutes off your time for the sake of not looking silly?

I'd ride it in a thong and spangly pink stockings for that payback.

Actually I think we need to have more TTs. We ll start the league with a 10M prologue TT, then have two 25M and finish it off with another 10M.

It's pain, but I enjoyed it.
    Another Boards 10 miler on the offing then?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

lukester wrote: »
    You wouldn't like to shave 3 minutes off your time for the sake of not looking silly?

I'd ride it in a thong and spangly pink stockings for that payback.

I prefer to knock the three minutes off the time I got anyway and call that 'my silly time'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

oflahero wrote: »
    I prefer to knock the three minutes off the time I got anyway and call that 'my silly time'.

Makes sense, but for the sake of avoiding 'silliness' you could bring it under the hour.

Wearing a pointy hat and skinsuit doesn't look silly, wearing them and being slow does.

Once one gets fast enough to justify them, they look sweet and blurry.

Beasty wrote: »
    Another Boards 10 miler on the offing then?

Yeap! Mid September?

Yeap! Mid September?
    The vets do their last one on Tuiesday 6th September - much later than that and it will be getting too dark, so I would suggest either later that week or early the next one

• Advertisement

I ll open another thread for it and we ll find a date :)

Advertisement