Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shock Collar user fined in Wales

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Discodog wrote: »
    DBB wrote: »
    Hi Whispered.
    Section 21 of the Control of Dogs Act 1986 states:

So if a person trespasses on your property & your dog bites them, the dog can be put down as dangerous. But not if it attacks a sheep. The law recognises that the sheep shouldn't be there but penalises the dog if it is a human intruder.

The CoD act is a remarkably bad piece of law especially as it is relatively recent.
    Much as I adore dogs and will always try and find light at the end of the tunnel for a dog that has bitten, I wouldn't have any problem with a human's wellbeing over that of a trespassing sheep.
    The English, Scottish, NI etc legislation is far more up to date and comprehensive than ours, yet similarly to our legislation re trespassing livestock, their law prioritises human health over trespassing animal's health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Discodog wrote: »
    So if a person trespasses on your property & your dog bites them, the dog can be put down as dangerous. But not if it attacks a sheep. The law recognises that the sheep shouldn't be there but penalises the dog if it is a human intruder.

The CoD act is a remarkably bad piece of law especially as it is relatively recent.

So if you go into a field where there is a bull and there are signs up on the gate warning not to go in, but you ignore them, and are injured by that bull, thats you own fault, and the bull won't be held liable? But if you go into a fenced property with dogs, and there are signs up saying that there are dogs in there, and you get injured, that is the dog's fault, and they can be pts?

Makes perfect sense to me, two species of animal, two different laws:confused::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

i had a mate bitten badly by a dog on someone elses property, the gards said they could not get the dog pts because it was on private property, Not the only time iv heard that ether. Think i heard something about a young boy bitten by a family members dog recently and same story. That could have been in the UK tho

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

i had a mate bitten badly by a dog on someone elses property, the gards said they could not get the dog pts because it was on private property, Not the only time iv heard that ether. Think i heard something about a young boy bitten by a family members dog recently and same story. That could have been in the UK tho

It does seem to be the case that people tend not to push the issue if a bite happened on private property. But a person has the right to access a house (for genuine reasons!) without being harmed. So, I think that if someone persued this issue, the dog owner could be on shaky ground.
    Generally, and this is a generalisation, the guards tend not to be terribly hot on the nuts and bolts of dog control legislation!

Advertisement