Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 20, Stage 17: Gap - Pinerolo 179km

Options
  • 19-07-2011 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭

Last chance for the baroudeurs

The race heads into Italy via the Montgenèvre pass, climbs to Sestrières and then features a late complicating factor in the shape of the 7km Pramartino climb, off which the road descends steeply into the finish in Pinerolo. The overall contenders are likely to wait until that last test before making any move today but the temptation for most will surely be to hold something back for the epic test the next day. That once again gives breakaway riders another good chance of going all the way to the finish. In fact, it is likely to be their final opportunity to do so.

tdf2011_17sm.jpg

tdf2011_17sp_600.jpg
    another downhill finish will a. schleck realise that racing is about getting time on your opponents or just complain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lebowski11

Would anyone hazard a guess on who is going to win this stage? I was thinking of going for Sammy Sanchez and Luis Leon Sanchez at 16/1 and 18/1. Any reasons why I should avoid either or both of these riders?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Last 5km:

PROFILKMS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Christ, that first kilometer looks like it's nearly 15% down. Wouldn't fancy racing down that, hope no-one comes a cropper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I wonder how Andy will tackle this one today

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Roche going to try for break again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

lebowski11 wrote: »
    Would anyone hazard a guess on who is going to win this stage? I was thinking of going for Sammy Sanchez and Luis Leon Sanchez at 16/1 and 18/1. Any reasons why I should avoid either or both of these riders?

Samuel Sanchez is too high up on the GC to be let away in a break. I wouldn't bet on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

AG2R wrote: »
    Whats the weather like?
    If its messy id expect evans to attack them again on the decent once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

my chavanel prediction fell flat on its face yesterday... i see the bookies have him as favourite today though... anyone know why he's not in great form this tour? he's been fairly active early on in stages, getting in to breaks but he seams to get dropped on even the smallest climbs...

loads of descending in the last 60k.. now that thor thinks he's a climber will he have another go? he could probably make up a good few minutes on your average joe (10minutes on the schlecks :p) with all that down hill. would be funny if he did.

the only prediction id be confident of is that Roy will be in the break :D

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

lebowski11 wrote: »

could be a day to suit LL Sanchez. he's a good descender and he's been very quiet the last while too

17 degrees with light showers in Gap
    Sunny in Pinerolo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lebowski11

mahoo wrote: »
    could be a day to suit LL Sanchez. he's a good descender and he's been very quiet the last while too

I've had Sanchez backed for Thor's 2 stage wins. I'm tempted to back the Norwegian today as a safety measure, surely he can't do it again? Roy is 150/1, worth an each way punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Roche to do well on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

does anyone know of any streams up and running,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

gavkm27 wrote: »
    does anyone know of any streams up and running,cheers

It doesn't start for another hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

AstraMonti wrote: »
    It doesn't start for another hour and a half.

Coverage starts at 12 on Eurosport HD!

or 12.30 on eursosport 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Roche to do well on this one.
    I must make sure to follow your tips, you ve been right all the other days ... oh actually no wait...

If you say it every day of every race though im sure you ll eventually get it right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

David Harmon via Twitter:
    Sun, Italy and the last descent is a race decider. Long, very technical and very steep, like a double length Poggio with holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Gerdemann.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    Gerdemann.

Interesting pick alright. Remember 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

niceonetom wrote: »
    Gerdemann.

The ageless forest nymph of the peloton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He'll probably dismount on the descent.

Will Tommy have his legs today or will today be the day he loses his jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Looks like Roche will finally make the break of the day.

Early break has Boasson Hagen and Casar in it. Don't these guys ever give up? Or take an easy day (such as it is)?

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Looks like Roche will finally make the break of the day.

Working with Hushovd.

Feck off, will ya Thor.

Break is
    Luis Gerdemann
    Luis-Leon Sanchez
    Remy Di-Gregorio
    Rui Da Costa
    Edvald Boassen Hagen
    Geraint Thomas
    Sandy Casar
    Danillo Hondo
    Tejay Van Gardenen
    Thomas De Gent

Thor and Roche have been reeled back in

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Break is
    Luis Gerdemann
    Luis-Leon Sanchez
    Remy Di-Gregorio
    Rui Da Costa
    Edvald Boassen Hagen
    Geraint Thomas
    Sandy Casar
    Danillo Hondo
    Tejay Van Gardenen
    Thomas De Gent

Thor and Roche have been reeled back in

I'm going for de gent, has a decent chance today. The money is down.

I think the break has been caught, according to the Eurosport website there is only a pack now :S

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Break caught

Here's some live SRM data (for Lumen and Beasty esp)

• Advertisement

Hondo, Thomas and Boassen Hagen can all sprint. If the break stays together, my money would be on one of them.

The rest of them will know this though. LL Sanchez is a good descender, as is Gerdemann when he puts his mind to it. Guys like them would need to split the break on the last climb, rocket down to the finish and hope the GC action doesn't kick off again behind them.

Advertisement