Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC set for U.K date.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

It's four months away and it's going to be in the UK so probably a bad card. Dunno what there is to say about it really...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

There are a lot of events leading up to this, if injuries happen I suspect they will be replavced by people on this so it may look good however may reduce in quality closer to the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Would certainly explain Gareth Davies' last few tweets..
    BIG BIG NEWS for UFC fans this week - coming on Wednesday evening...stay tuned for the ESPN UFC Podcast
    Getting the details on the UFC news, stay tuned...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

IF it comes through then expect a poor quality card with UK fighters who are on a par with some of the guys from the other promotions, and also expect to pay 2/3 times as much as a CageWarriors show.

Save yer money, don't get sucked in, go and see a local/CW event instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I'll probably go, because there's a very good* chance there could be some CW/ CC/ Irish guys on the card.

*i hope :D

confirmed it's UFC 138 and not a fight night.

I wasn't ripping by the way at local shows. I can't wait for CC this weekend and Rush in September if only to see Luke Caffery fight again. He makes me ashamed to be 18 and that I didn't start earlier.

• Advertisement

It’s official. There will be a UFC event in the UK in 2011, and it will be in Birmingham on Nov 5 at the LG Arena. It will not be a Fight Night, but will be UFC 138.
    UFC fans can now rejoice after it appeared that, due to programming and venue bookings, there might be a barren year for the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s growing legion of fans on British shores this year.
    Although details are yet to be finalized, as regards the main event and the fighters signed for the card, it is understood that it will definitely be UFC 138.
    As for possible protagonists at the event, Brad Pickett has been tweeting he has been told he will be fighting in October, but why not push that back one week and have him face the likes of Uriah Faber, or Miguel Torres ?
    Along with Michael Bisping, Pickett is arguably the British fighter closest to a title shot in the UFC.
    Marshall Zelaznik, UFC UK vice-president, told The Telegraph yesterday: “I’m very happy to announce UFC 138 will be bringing fireworks to Birmingham on November 5. The last time the UFC was in the second city was UFC 89 in October 2008, and we are very happy to be going back there this bonfire night.”
    Ticket information will be coming soon.
    It’s on.

Link

EDIT: Leben v Munoz on the card, presumably at least co main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Link

EDIT: Leben v Munoz on the card, presumably at least co main event.
    Leben vs Munoz will be the first 5 round main event

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/07/19/leben-vs-munoz-will-be-five-round-fight-at-ufc-138-in-england/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Niall0 wrote: »

Interesting fight, but headlining? You'd get away with them headlining a fight night, but I can't imagine anyone would pay full price to go see them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

How much would tickets be for this event? Any Iders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

slayerking wrote: »
    How much would tickets be for this event? Any Iders?

50 to 250 quid.

• Advertisement

Interesting fight, but headlining? You'd get away with them headlining a fight night, but I can't imagine anyone would pay full price to go see them

12,000 UFC starved Brits will :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Joke of a main event, i know a lot of people will be happy that we're getting an event near to home but come on, can you imgine the uproar if Leben v Munoz was a main event in Vegas.

Sure as a fight it's great, but main event!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭sonic85

i know this is a fair while away but where would i be able to get tickets if i wanted to go? ticketmaster uk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭The Left Hook

I am leaving now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Niall0 wrote: »

It might be scheduled to be the first non-title 5 rounder but I'll bet good money it won't get anywhere near the 5th! :D

sonic85 wrote: »
    i know this is a fair while away but where would i be able to get tickets if i wanted to go? ticketmaster uk?

Yeah, Ticketmaster UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭sonic85

Yeah, Ticketmaster UK.

nice one. havnt been to an event yet - not gonna wait for an irish show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

How about we try and be positive about this event instead of already slating it within few hours of it being announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Alot of the best fights on cards are sleepers, while alot of big name fights don't live up to the hype. I would like a few "name" fighters on the card to entice me into going, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm a bit surprised that the next UK card wasn't held off until December and bidping v Miller headlined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Dean09 wrote: »
    It might be scheduled to be the first non-title 5 rounder but I'll bet good money it won't get anywhere near the 5th! :D

Not enough gas in either tank :eek::D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's a very poor Main Event. I know it will probably be a good fight, but you want to pay your hard earned money on a fight with some sort of implication!

Neither Leben nor Munoz are Top 10 Middleweights in my opinion! If they tried sell this fight as a Main Event in Las Vegas, not even Kevin James would go! They'd get laughed out of the MGM Grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I know it will probably be a good fight, but you want to pay your hard earned money on a fight with some sort of implication!

Personally I'm more interested in whether its entertaining or a good display of skill. Never been too pushed about how it effects rankings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Devastator wrote: »
    How about we try and be positive about this event instead of already slating it within few hours of it being announced.

Come on, youve been round here long enough, you know thats not how it works in this Forum. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It's a very poor Main Event. I know it will probably be a good fight, but you want to pay your hard earned money on a fight with some sort of implication!

Neither Leben nor Munoz are Top 10 Middleweights in my opinion! If they tried sell this fight as a Main Event in Las Vegas, not even Kevin James would go! They'd get laughed out of the MGM Grand!

More or less what i said earlier in the thread.

Seems this card has just been thrown in to appease us Euro fans.

As for people saying the fights are great without the big names, if we're paying the same as some other U.S events then we should get the same 'top names', although i suppose the top names don't really wanna fight over here due to there PPV cut being so low because of either low ppv figures or the event being a Spike Freebie.

I was lucky enough to attend both title fights in UK (75 & 80) and i seriously doubt now that we'll ever see another title fight over here

Omigwag vs Jason Young added to the card too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Devastator wrote: »

Exactly! Il be going regardless, and will probably be an amazing night of fights as per usual when people think its not "stacked"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Omigwag vs Jason Young added to the card too !

Bound to be a slugger! This card is gonna have some great fights for sure, lookin forward to the alves fight and i think Njokuani vs Taylor has FOTN all over it :D

• Advertisement

Njokuani for me is a big seller really hope it's gets officially announced. Would love to see Paul Sass fight again I don't think he's been on a UFC card since 120. Sass actually holds a win over Young too.

Maybe Paul Sass is the same guy I'm thinking of but there's another UK fighter I think. Bald fought on an under card recently enough ( could be up to a year ago ) with a slick ground game. Thought it was something like sous though..

Would love to see McDonald back in action too

Advertisement