Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loop Head Lighthouse

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I was at the light house yesterday - it's really nice and well recommended.

It looks like it's very successful ... normally, there are 2 or 3 cars on the car park ; yesterday, at 3.30pm, the car park was nearly full. :)

It was announced yesterday that the light house will stay open to the public until the end of September. I didn't read this anywhere, but the staff were delighted to share this information with us. :)

P1120885.jpg
    P1120890.jpg
    P1120892.jpg

Thank you boards.ie for sharing the info ... I would probably never have known about it otherwise ! :)

Valerie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Thanks for the pics Valerie. I was there the other day myself even though I had been up on it about 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was there yesterday, really worth the trip, lovely scenery all along the coast and only €3 entry fee.

Here's a couple of photos from Loophead, more here

0BDE110F00C74B5E93E7AC65BBCB1773-0000316185-0002505794-00800L-09E9C315E3814E58A369E5572BECBB87.jpg

77225FDE2EEC4F2A91EE2DC82101508C-0000316185-0002505784-00800L-07D798FA61384CB5AE1735F4CC03B45C.jpg

EEFB4D2B0FB94AB99899A6E0EA4C732B-0000316185-0002505792-00800L-F107F66E1C3A4CF9A11B4C8BED63B199.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Zog

I found the guy doing the tour wasn't geared up for dealing with the mix of people on such a tour and was a bit weird. He also scared my son about the stairs to such a point he initally wouldn't go up. I agree with Joey the Lips, the lighthouse keeper came across as ignorant and closed to others view point. The light house itself is amazing experience and great value....lets hope they keep it that way and don't loose the head and respect for tourists due to its popularity this year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Zog

Rockof1942 wrote: »
    Joey has a point.

I hesitate to strike a negative note at a time when initiatives like this are needed and when 'positivity' is the new mantra. But, let's call a spade a spade.
    Some days ago I visited the lighthouse. I was disappointed. The potential of the product, as everybody has reflected here, is enormous. But the delivery is unprofessional. In two weeks along the West Coast and the Aran Islands I felt that there is too often an assumption that our visitors arrive with a built-in love of the Irish and all things Irish, and that all we have to do is to make pleasant noises. Not good enough. International tourism is a big business, with the emphasis on business.
    The tour of the lighthouse was devoid of all but cautions about safety on the staircase, a repeat of the basic information that one had read in the vicinity and that was that. More time was spent in making up the numbers of the group to tour and in waiting for one's 30 seconds at the top than was spent learning about the experience of or with the lighthouse. This was a visit managed in such a way that one came away convinced that the lighthouse - or the guide - had no soul. My advice to the organisers has been to recruit young people who have a capacity to love and hope, give them a broad training so that this artifact is presented in a proper maritime, historical and transport safety context, and measure their performance by criteria worked at sites that are properly managed here or elsewhere. Unless they meet these competences the role should not be handed over to former employees or their sons or daughters.
    I completely agree with your post.
    Thank your sharing you insightful thoughts about your experience at the loop head light house...i felt the same but you articultated it for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Some good news for Loophead :)

I've just heard a report on the news this evening that Loop Head Lighthouse will re-open as a permanent tourist attraction later this year. Last year's trial opening was such a success that there are plans to open a cafe and museum on site, which will give employment to ten people. It is welcome news for the local bars and restaurants in Kilbaha too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Brilliant news. Would love to go down there again, on a clear day. Went last 'summer' one day with awful weather which ruined the views.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

great, thanks for the update.. hope to make it up this spring.. i've high hopes for sun after such a mild winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 4 years in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Loop Head Lighthouse was formally opened today as a tourist attraction by An Taoiseach, Enda Kenny.

RTE Six One News Report from Loop Head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

Very nice to see the Lighthouse officially opened by the Taoiseach today. Priceless when he was been interviewed by RTE News you had about 5 guys behind him with their faces almost stuck in the camera. Hopefully loads of visitors for the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Hoping to visit over the weekend, and the forecast is good so hopefully the views will be spectacular from the lighthouse!

Advertisement