Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loop Head Lighthouse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I think that this is a wonderful initiative and I hope that it's a success. Loophead is a beautiful part of our county and the view from the lighthouse is breathtaking.

Mizen Head opened a visitor centre a few years back and it has been a very popular attraction ever since, there is a lot of interest in lighthouses.

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6877:loop-head-lighthouse-opens-its-doors-to-the-public&catid=74:general&Itemid=60

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Just spent my first time in the area. It is stunning, especially the drive between Kilkee and LH.

One thing that dissapointed me was the overhead telephone and power lines running all the way up to the lighthouse. Hopefully the council can bury those at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 thelockshop

I heard it on the radio today .ts sounds like it will be well worth the visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I spent last summer in Kilkee.Visited loop head. Saw the lighthouse keeper. Had a polite conversation to tell him that my father once worked there etc. His attitude was pure ignorant. Even those in my company saw it.

If he is going to be running the light house he needs to change this.

oh and btw...The area is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Nice report on the Loop Head lighthouse on RTE's 6 o'clock news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Think this is a great idea and will defo be going out to visit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Was delighted when I saw this in the paper today, always loved going there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

This will be a fantastic asset to West Clare.
    Having grown up in the county I visited Loop head Lighthouse for the first time 2 weeks ago just days before they announced it on Clare FM...and I actually said to my husband what a shame it's not open to the public!

I have been to Hook Lighthouse in Wexford and it's an amazing attraction.
    http://www.hookheritage.ie/
    This can only be good thing for West Clare!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

You can rent the house nearby from the Irish Landmark trust.

Spent a great weekend there back in 2009, I'll have to go back now the lighthouse is open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dubInDWest

There's a new campsite on the way to Loop Head from Kilrush www.purecamping.ie. We're staying there this weekend and planing to visit the light house. Looking froward to it now.

• Advertisement

dubInDWest wrote: »
    There's a new campsite on the way to Loop Head from Kilrush www.purecamping.ie. We're staying there this weekend and planing to visit the light house. Looking froward to it now.
    Thanks for your post. It is wonderful to hear of a new tourism business in West Clare. I wish them well :)

Aglomerado wrote: »
    You can rent the house nearby from the Irish Landmark trust.

Spent a great weekend there back in 2009, I'll have to go back now the lighthouse is open!
    I had a look at the website and there are some really beautiful properties available for rental. Ideal for a romantic weekend away, I'll need to start dropping hints to Mr. D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tommy Murphy

Just three euro admittance fee. Lovely photo of the lighthouse in todays Clare Champion

loop-head.jpg

Picture taken by John Kelly, Clare Champion Newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

my father once worked there etc. His attitude was pure ignorant. Even those in my company saw it.

when did your dad work there? pity about your man...:(
    im really excited to go up and have a look inside, love that part of the world, it'd take your breath away...:)

The following website maybe of interest to anyone who plans on visiting Loophead:

http://www.loophead.ie/index.htm

I went back to Loop Head yesterday to visit the lighthouse. I must say that is a wonderful experience, the views from the lighthouse of the Atlantic and Kerry Head are breathtaking. The guide was very informative and quite entertaining, it is well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I went back to Loop Head yesterday to visit the lighthouse. I must say that is a wonderful experience, the views from the lighthouse of the Atlantic and Kerry Head are breathtaking. The guide was very informative and quite entertaining, it is well worth a visit.

Lucky you!
    I went there a few weeks ago when it first opened and had a few issues. Got there about 330, got in a nice queue in front of the lighthouse. No signs around to do anything else.
    In the queue meekly waiting, and a guide comes out saying last tour in 15 minutes, get your tickets ready etc.
    Tickets? What tickets half the queue wonders?
    Apparently we should have gone into the building marked TOILETS to purchase tickets.
    We were told sorry, not getting in etc. Eventually my calm reasoning that we would have bought tickets if we had been told about it won out and we were allowed to purchase tickets.
    The reasons were odd though, I was told ticket seller must have been closing the gates (still open).
    While the view from the top was nice, perhaps the guides heart wasnt in it as he only seemed to be answering direct questions in a voice only audible to those directly next to him, rather then any story about the history of the place.
    I wouldn't mind going again sometime to see if it got better.

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience Phill.

However, I'm happy to report that at least on the day I visited last week things were running smoothly. They had signage up indicating that you needed to purchase a ticket and you were given an information leaflet etc. There was about a 30 minute wait to go on the tour but the weather was glorious so people were having little picnics and going for walks near the cliff.

We were blessed with our tour guide, she was clearly very enthusiastic about her role and as I said before she was guide entertaining. As you know the lighthouse was opened on a trial basis, to see if it would attract visitors. I'd say that next year they will be better set up for visitors. They certainly need more toilets and maybe they could open a little cafe. Full marks to Cllr Keating for coming up with the idea, it seems to be a winner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Blue850

I was there on Sunday, very enjoyable, stunning views from the top, Blasket Islands were clear view and the Skelligs could just be made out on the horizon. One of the guides said its only open until Sept 4th though as its on a trial run and then a decision has to be made as to further opening times, improvement of facilities etc, but so far its been a huge success. They were expecting maybe 30 - 40 people a day and they're currently selling between 250 - 300 tickets a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Blue850 wrote: »
    I was there on Sunday, very enjoyable, stunning views from the top, Blasket Islands were clear view and the Skelligs could just be made out on the horizon. One of the guides said its only open until Sept 4th though as its on a trial run and then a decision has to be made as to further opening times, improvement of facilities etc, but so far its been a huge success. They were expecting maybe 30 - 40 people a day and they're currently selling between 250 - 300 tickets a day.

I was there a few years back before it was open and again this summer. Its only when you go in around you realise what a waste of a prebuilt tourist attraction it has been.

They need to develop it thoughtfully though. Maybe no buses or coaches so its not like the cliffs of moher, proper paths around the headland with open unguarded sections and some fenced viewing platforms along the way, again unlike the cliffs of moher where the fences are now well back from the edge.

Inside there is obvious scope for a coffee shop and turning the houses into a nautical museuum etc.

Inside the walls would also be great for a tent campsite.

Its not all about the profit either, by the time people get there they will have spent a lot of money on their way through Clare, if it was all free or nominal cost it would promote itself and bring in a lot of revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Full marks to Cllr Keating for coming up with the idea, it seems to be a winner :)

He did not come up with the idea. Like all the local politicians he was late coming to the idea.

I was there a few years back before it was open and again this summer. Its only when you go in around you realise what a waste of a prebuilt tourist attraction it has been.

They need to develop it thoughtfully though. Maybe no buses or coaches so its not like the cliffs of moher, proper paths around the headland with open unguarded sections and some fenced viewing platforms along the way, again unlike the cliffs of moher where the fences are now well back from the edge.

Inside there is obvious scope for a coffee shop and turning the houses into a nautical museuum etc.

Inside the walls would also be great for a tent campsite.

Its not all about the profit either, by the time people get there they will have spent a lot of money on their way through Clare, if it was all free or nominal cost it would promote itself and bring in a lot of revenue.

Get yourself down to the manager and give him these ideas!
    Palmach wrote: »
    He did not come up with the idea. Like all the local politicians he was late coming to the idea.

Like all politicians there ever were :pac:

To mark Heritage Week there are lot of free events happening in Clare and throughout the country.

Check out -
    http://www.heritageweek.ie/index.php/whats-on/event-search/

Here are some events planned for Loop Head

Open Day At Loop Head Lightkeepers' House
    Date & Times
    28 August : 10:00 - 16:00

Admission: Free

Event Description: The Irish Landmark Trust rescues and restores Ireland's built heritage. Come and experience an authentically restored C19th lightkeepers' house. Self-guided tour of this restored property now available as a holiday home. Child supervision is required due to coastal location.

Event Organiser/Organisation: The Irish Landmark Trust
    Venue: Loop Head Lightkeepers' House
    Kilbaha
    Clare

Organiser Name: Caroline Crowley

Contact Address: The Irish Landmark Trust, 25 Eustace Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2

Email: caroline@irishlandmark.com

Birdwatching At The Bridges Of Ross
    Date & Times
    21 August : 10:00 - 12:00

Admission: None

Event Description: A fantastic opportunity to watch seabird migration in one of the best spots on these islands.

Event Organiser/Organisation: Clare Branch Birdwatch Ireland
    Venue: Bridges of Ross
    Loop Head Peninsula
    Clare

Any Other Details: Bring binoculars and also warm clothing if weather is mixed.

Organiser Name: John Murphy

Contact Address: Applewood Ballycar Newmarket-on-Fergus Co. Clare

Email: jemurphy@esatclear.ie

Whale Watch Ireland 2011 - Loop Head

Date & Times
    21 August : 14:00 - 17:00
    Not necessary to stay till end of watch

Admission: Free

Event Description: Free, guided, land-based whale watch from Loop Head. Please dress appropriately for weather and bring binoculars. Sightings not guaranteed.

Event Organiser/Organisation: Irish Whale and Dolphin Group
    Venue: Loop Head Lighthouse
    Clare

Any Other Details: There are no boats involved. Bookings not necessary. There is a short walk out to the final watch site

Type:Outdoors

Organiser Name: Dr Simon Berrow

Contact Address: www.iwdg.ie

Email: simon.berrow@iwdg.ie

Was staying in Lahinch for the week, and got down to Loop Head on a very poor day, weatherwise.

Despite that, our guide said they'd had about 200 visitors that day (we were on the last tour).

There's a definite draw here and if some of the suggestions made above are implemented then it could be a very viable tourist spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Big crowd there yesterday. Car park full. Lovely steaks in Keatings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rockof1942

I spent last summer in Kilkee.Visited loop head. Saw the lighthouse keeper. Had a polite conversation to tell him that my father once worked there etc. His attitude was pure ignorant. Even those in my company saw it.

Joey has a point.

I hesitate to strike a negative note at a time when initiatives like this are needed and when 'positivity' is the new mantra. But, let's call a spade a spade.
    Some days ago I visited the lighthouse. I was disappointed. The potential of the product, as everybody has reflected here, is enormous. But the delivery is unprofessional. In two weeks along the West Coast and the Aran Islands I felt that there is too often an assumption that our visitors arrive with a built-in love of the Irish and all things Irish, and that all we have to do is to make pleasant noises. Not good enough. International tourism is a big business, with the emphasis on business.
    The tour of the lighthouse was devoid of all but cautions about safety on the staircase, a repeat of the basic information that one had read in the vicinity and that was that. More time was spent in making up the numbers of the group to tour and in waiting for one's 30 seconds at the top than was spent learning about the experience of or with the lighthouse. This was a visit managed in such a way that one came away convinced that the lighthouse - or the guide - had no soul. My advice to the organisers has been to recruit young people who have a capacity to love and hope, give them a broad training so that this artifact is presented in a proper maritime, historical and transport safety context, and measure their performance by criteria worked at sites that are properly managed here or elsewhere. Unless they meet these competences the role should not be handed over to former employees or their sons or daughters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Must take a trip down there. Has anyone here ever been to the lighthouse in Cape Leeuwin in Western Australia?

Rockof1942, I think you are being a little unfair here. Loophead lighthouse has only been opened up to the public on a trial basis, I don't think that anyone thought it was going to be as successful as it has turned out to be as an attraction. It has been mentioned already on this thread, that Loophead will need to provide more to the public longterm - a museum or visitor centre similar to Mizen Head lighthouse.

I was back in Loophead a few weeks ago and I'd a brilliant day touring West Clare - Kilkee, Carrigaholt, the Bridges of Ross, the lighthouse and of course a fine meal in Kilbaha.
    My advice to the organisers has been to recruit young people who have a capacity to love and hope, give them a broad training so that this artifact is presented in a proper maritime, historical and transport safety context, and measure their performance by criteria worked at sites that are properly managed here or elsewhere.

I agree with alot of this but surely these positions should be open to all age groups, it shouldn't matter if you're 17 or 70 as long as you have the knowledge and passion for the role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Very pleasing to see this open to the public from today. W.Clare needs more of this kind of initiative to stem the fall in tourism:

http://clare.fm/news/loophead-lighthouse-opens-public

great news.... long time ago it was closed, now its open again ;)

Advertisement