Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

krudler wrote: »
    in fairness though they know zombies dont think, its not like it would have been laying an elaborate trap outside, it just didnt find food and shuffled off, if she left it go it would have just gone away

You're over complicating this with zombie psychology and trap laying. Simply put, she was trapped and panicked in a tight space with a zombie the other side of the door. She can't see what it's doing. I doubt the finer points of zombie behaviour was crossing her mind (and if it did, she'd know zombies can smell the living). I think she reacted in a very realistic manner given the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

don ramo wrote: »
    i said i understand people are religous, i just think if something like that happened id find it hard to believe that if a higher power existed theyd allow so many innocent people to die, i just cant see how anyone could be drawn to it,

what would a zombie apocalypse wipe out, being conservative id say 70% of the population which is 180 million left in the planet, that means 5,820,000,000 people were so sinfull that they had to die:confused::confused::confused:,

Interesting debate. I'd say it's even more likely that people would turn to religion in an event such as this. Surely an apocalypse of this nature would validate people's beliefs in religion more than dispelling it? Moreso than asking "why would a divine being allow this to happen?", I'd imagine those religiously-inclined would be more likely to ask "Why have I been spared?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

leggo wrote: »
    Interesting debate. I'd say it's even more likely that people would turn to religion in an event such as this. Surely an apocalypse of this nature would validate people's beliefs in religion more than dispelling it? Moreso than asking "why would a divine being allow this to happen?", I'd imagine those religiously-inclined would be more likely to ask "Why have I been spared?"

but why would a divine being let so many innocent die, goes against everthing i was thought in church
    Bacchus wrote: »
    ... also, your math sucks ;)

:o

but why would a divine being let so many innocent die, goes against everthing i was thought in church

Noah's Ark? To mention but one time God pressed the reset button. Not to mention all of the plagues he inflicted. And forcing his own son to die for chrissakes! God's a bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

leggo wrote: »
    God's a bastard.
    For sure. It's definitely the last time Rick asks him for a sign. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Great 1st ep back. The autopsy bit was rank :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

that was a poor opening episode... the pace of the show is just too slow for the dialogue to be that rubbish.

I think you're missing a key point here. You clearly would fall into the "there is no God" category. That is you, and many others would fall into that category too BUT there are others who would find comfort in religion. Actually, there's even a sub-group in there whos belief would be reaffirmed by a zombie apocalypse, believing it to be the rapture. When there is no other explaination, no other hope, many people will fall back on faith to see them through madness. And just to get statistical about it, 2 people in of a search party of 8 prayed (and I gave motivations for their actions in a previous post). Is that really that unrealistic?

One last thing, take Ireland as an example of faith. Centuries of hardship and we were one of the Catholic strongholds of Europe. 2 decades of prosperity and where is religion now?

Without getting into the religion debate, I couldn't care less whether people pray in that situation or not, however - two religious monologues was too much and grating in that short space of time. I was waiting for them to end and felt the second instance was piss taking.

As regards to the Zombie in the RV. Andrea didn't know there was only one there, she also didn't know whether he was going or staying. The right thing to do would be to get a weapon ready so she can make a run if things come to it - pop off a few shots and get onto something higher up.

For the most part - if they got writers from Boardwalk Empire, The Wire, Mad Men, West Wing etc., and applied their tonal, pacing and situational instincts to the Walking Dead scripts we would be in a really good place with the show.

However also note - the comics are full to the brim of these types of monologues and diatribes so they might just be writing the script faithful to the source material.

Without getting into the religion debate, I couldn't care less whether people pray in that situation or not, however - two religious monologues was too much and grating in that short space of time. I was waiting for them to end and felt the second instance was piss taking.

Religion debate aside, I agree with this. Two lengthy monologues in a row was not good for the pacing. Would have been better to just show Ricks one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

nix wrote: »
    Meh, it was an ok episode i guess, the autopsy was just stupid if ya ask me, wtf were they expecting to find in its stomach?? a childs arms?? a license plate?? Its not a shark, doubtful you would find anything that resembled anything familiar in a humans/zombies stomach..

Also the praying was kinda lame, i can allow one out loud prayer of hope, but two is just killing time and corny...

And i was kinda half hoping the blonde would blow her brains out as soon as she was handed the pistol..

Show needs some new blood in it, sadly i can see this cast last most of the series and only new people they bump into getting killed soon after.. Build some characters up and kill them randomly, thats what this show needs :D

haha yeah the autopsy reminded me of jaws:D ye i was thinking that too, how could they tell if the stuff was human child flesh or animal:confused: i thought they were gona pull out that little doll she always carries or something :p cus thered be no toher way of knowing she was eatn bar they found pieces of her clothing :p but i still liked the autopsy scene:)

I really liked the episode. thought it was exciting and dialogue was good,liked the dialogue with andrea and dale.i also think the way andrea acted in the bathroom scene was very realistic what would anyone else have done differently,she couldnt see the zombie on the other side of the door guys!! i really like andrea think she might be one of the best actors on the show. also on the religion thing, i am quite religious and i would would pray a lot more than usual in a situation like that! i also liked how they gave carol and sophia some face time and storyline, got to know the 2 of them much better than in the last season.same with dayl and tdog, they were the four least well known characters form last season and glad to see them fleshing them out a little more. i hope they find sophia, i felt really sorry for carol , i really like carol and sophia!! next episode looks even better than the last one :Dcant wait:D

I get people's complaints about the religious monologues, however this is a problem I have with people complaining about writing in a show without having seen the full season: this could be a recurring theme they are looking to introduce now, i.e. the characters' fallback on faith. And it could begin to be important from the next episode for all we know.

From a writer's standpoint, one religious scene would have just established that particular character's faith and that's what you would have remembered in the next episode. However, with two characters now falling back onto it there's more of a scope to approach people's attitudes, in general, towards religion in the future.

I felt the same as you all watching the episode now, mind, but at the same time just have a little patience as it may be contributing towards a greater good in future episodes. That always happened in Lost: one week people complaining about a random, seemingly out-of-place scene, then as the plot unravelled they loved the direction the show had taken, not realising it began with that scene that irked them so much. Maybe it's meant to irk you?

i also like how theyre showing us a few new little relationships within the group like dale and tdog, lori and carol, shane and andrea and a few others. i really liked the bit with the church bell and they all became hopeful just for their hope to be crushed when they reached the church ,really liked that showed the hopelessness of the situation.

not ahuge spoiler but ill tag it anyway, got it off spoiler tv which is never that spoilerish. this is an article from spoiler.tv- some of you will be glad to hear a certain character will be coming back !:D
    The Walking Dead - Season 2 - Merle-Centric Episode Coming Up?
    If there was one Walking Dead character interesting and intense enough to carry an entire episode on his own, who would it be? Hey, I gave you a hint by saying it was a guy. Give up? Well, to be fair, this is sort of a trick question. The hit series does have plans for a riveting new episode following a character all on his lonesome, but this guy, you probably think he’s been dead for a while. Spoiler Alert: He’s not!

We are talking about Merle Dixon as acted by Michael Rooker. The last time you saw him in the AMC series, he was having to cut his own hand off to escape some frustrating hand cuffs. Now, according to the TV Line zombie-licious exclusive, the season one character is returning, possibly on November 13th for an all new episode entirely dedicated to him.

“It’s pretty much all Daryl on his own, in a hard-core man-versus-world psychological [quest] with inner turmoil and hints of ‘Deliverance,’” said Norman Reedus, who fans know as Merle’s brother, Daryl. Not only will viewers learn quite a bit about Merle’s past history, but we will really discover “where his loyalties lie.” You heard it here! Sound like a great episode or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Surprised at the amount of positive reviews here, thought it was really poor. It's just the same old stuff we've seen in this show and every other zombie film. The main plot in this episode is the child goes missing - this is so boring and feels like it happens in every episode of this show. Every episode is just the same stuff, avoid a zombie attack, someone goes missing or dies, characters have an argument, zombies get killed.

Surprised at the amount of positive reviews here, thought it was really poor. It's just the same old stuff we've seen in this show and every other zombie film. The main plot in this episode is the child goes missing - this is so boring and feels like it happens in every episode of this show. Every episode is just the same stuff, avoid a zombie attack, someone goes missing or dies, characters have an argument, zombies get killed.

well what did you expect, its not that different from all the other zombie films, just done much better and more focus on characters and dialogue rather than special effects and midless gore fests. i love the show :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

bb1234567 wrote: »
    well what did you expect, its not that different from all the other zombie films, just done much better and more focus on characters and dialogue rather than special effects and midless gore fests. i love the show :D
    It's not done better though. The first season at least. I haven't watched this new episode but it doesn't sound like much of an improvement over the last 5 (going to wait to see what the general impression is on the new episodes first)

What do you think is good about the dialogue and characters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I agree that it's certainly not the best. I honestly couldn't care less about any of the characters at this stage and I'm not sure if that's down to it only having 7 episodes so far or poor character development.

The budget cutbacks will certainly not help its case either. I will continue to watch just to see if it picks up and because I love anything zombie related.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Really enjoyed the S2 opener. I'm not exactly enamoured with the cast/characters but I LOVE the zombie-building tension. The more practical side of a zombie apocalypse. Over an hour long too, great success. I wonder when we'll get the inevitable some-current-cast-leave, get-new-replacement-cast ala LOST :p

The more pressing matter is what do you call a group of zombies?
    A horde of zombies?
    A shuffle of zombies?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the S2 opener. I'm not exactly enamoured with the cast/characters but I LOVE the zombie-building tension. The more practical side of a zombie apocalypse. Over an hour long too, great success. I wonder when we'll get the inevitable some-current-cast-leave, get-new-replacement-cast ala LOST :p

The more pressing matter is what do you call a group of zombies?
    A horde of zombies?
    A shuffle of zombies?

:)
    Horde is generally the most commonly used word. The Zombie horde etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ooh, how about a Plague of Zombies? Any other group names you can think of?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

A murder of zombies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Anyone else notice that Darabont was credited under the pseudonym Ardeth Bey for writing the episode. They named him as exec. producer under his own name.
    Perhaps for legal reasons after the firing?

Colmo52 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that Darabont was credited under the pseudonym Ardeth Bey for writing the episode. They named him as exec. producer under his own name.
    Perhaps for legal reasons after the firing?

he directed the first 6 episodes, so until episode 7 his name will be credited as director.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As a big fan of the books, I thought this was pretty poor for a season premiere. I also thought the first season generally bad, but watchable. The first twenty odd minutes were decent, despite some baffling oversights - Dale somehow not spotting a massive herd until they were almost on top of them, for example. But some great moments of tension, and great effects. The subsequent forty odd minutes though, really not so good. Too many drawn out scenes, and often, altogether pointless scenes. I also think in comparison to several other high profile shows, the character development in this is abysmal. I truthfully think that having watched the entire first season, I still don't really care much as to who lives or dies. I think the only thing that keeps me coming back to this is my love for both the books, and all things Zombie. I've a friend who's of the exact same opinion.

I'd give it a 4/10. The books deserve more and the show is capable of more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

As a big fan of the books, I thought this was pretty poor for a season premiere.

I'd give it a 4/10. The books deserve more and the show is capable of more.

I've seen a few films first that made me then read the comic books.. eg sin city, 300. But have to say wouldn't even contemplate reading the walking dead books after watching the tv series! Looking at how highly people rate the books though, the series must have some fundamental flaw??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

got around to watching this last night.

though it was good. it was nice to see them introduce the herds concept though i do wish there was MORE of em as i always think their numbers dont reflect the idea well.

still it made for some great tension.

i agree though that all that much didnt seem to happen for a season 2 opener and some of it was a bit baffling (im thinking the treatment of andrea here)

still its got 13 episodes this time so maybe there pacing themselves.

nice to see daryl as a team player too instead of being the generic rabble rouser and the episode does end up at an intersting place so ill be there for episode 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

God damn Sky. Have been checking to see if it was starting every so often in the search option. "The Walking Dead" brought up no entries while "Walking Dead" did. At least there are plenty of repeats during the week!

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    God damn Sky. Have been checking to see if it was starting every so often in the search option. "The Walking Dead" brought up no entries while "Walking Dead" did. At least there are plenty of repeats during the week!

i dont think sky one shows the walking dead,fx is only channel in ireland that will air the walking dead season 2 for some time. its coming out on fx tomorrow. rte 2 shows the walking dead but prob wont come out til maybe march/april:rolleyes:

Advertisement