Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Mindkiller wrote: »
    You don't really need to go that far to see why people's standards are so high. AMC's other two big shows, Breaking Bad and Mad Men, are leagues ahead of this. Best things on TV atm. Yet TWD trumps both of them in ratings.

Breaking Bad and Mad men are in a completely different league to TWD and anyone who thinks differently is deluded.TWD is a simplistic gorefest-after 28 days later its probably the best zombie film/series ever but the standard is set very low.Madmen is probably the most subtle mainstream tv show in history and moves at an iceberg pace.

I was hoping for more from TWD-that characters wouldn,t be complete morons nearly all the time.But its just a slightly better thought out and acted zombie film than the average fare.I actually think the acting is of a pretty high standard its the weak dialogue that they have to work with that lets it down.

It does do a sense of dread very well and I for one never know when the next scare is coming.Last week for instance was done very well were andrea is just chatting away to someone out of the corner of her eye who she assumes is one of the group but is actually a walker.It can be clever at times but more often it opts to be dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

You don't really need to go that far to see why people's standards are so high. AMC's other two big shows, Breaking Bad and Mad Men, are leagues ahead of this. Best things on TV atm. Yet TWD trumps both of them in ratings.[
    i would love to start watching mad men and breaking bad, but there already been lots of episodes out and i feel itd be harder start and get into than twd.twd got much more advertising before it began and then it didnt have many episodes so people could hear about it,start it, and when it ended they may have liked and are excited for 2nd season, and people who didnt watch it at first could catch up quickly watching 6 episodes instead of 25 and then be in time with tv airings. i have heard great things anout mm and bb but the twd is a more instant pleasure kind of show, and thats it would appeal to more ppl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Finally got to watch the first 3 episodes last night!
    Its as good as the first series..
    A big thanks to degrassinoel for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

You don't really need to go that far to see why people's standards are so high. AMC's other two big shows, Breaking Bad and Mad Men, are leagues ahead of this. Best things on TV atm. Yet TWD trumps both of them in ratings.
    ditto for breaking bad, that certainly is an awesome show, but i somehow missed mad men entirely. i think the whole "set in the 1960's" thing put me off when it first came out and i never went back to it to investigate further, but i might well go back to it now given the praise it seems to be getting, so thanks for the nod in the right direction. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

First time I've ever started skipping through an episode. The Rick/Lorie/Carl holds zero interest or tension for me. Again, just about nothing happens for about 40 mins - how many times do they say something to the effect of "they should be back by now"? I'm glad Shane shot that guy, even if only to spice up the series and hammer home the "dog-eat-dog" world scenario. The only problem with the medical supply sequence was just that they seemed to be running around aimlessly for 20 minutes.

If they cut the running time to 30 minutes, I think it would make for a leaner, faster show. All this talking about God and kids living in a zombie world (not to mention the roll eye inducing deer reference - jesus...) is just distracting for me, both as a fan of the comics, and as a TV watcher. There's so much good, intense, fcucked up and morally ambiguous material in the comics they're ignoring or putting on the long finger that it's maddening to watch. The renewal for Season 3 means that they're just gonna continue drip feeding suspense.

Put it this way: Would these characters hold the slightest bit of interest for anyone without the zombies?

/rant.
    I'm still going to watch it because I've nothing better to do on a Monday morning, but it's taken a distant backseat to Homeland, definitely the best new show this Autumn (shameless plug).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Was that episode not 95% filler?

from the 2nd episode we were at a stage where Otis and Shane were trapped in the school, girl was still missing in the woods,

For 50 minutes they managed to drag out a heap of rubbish, Shane arrives back, girl still missing( also getting seriously bored of them out searching for her, what has there been 3 or 4 drawn scenes over the last few episodes of them searching for her?)

just watched the episode and thought it was rly good,the best of the 3 so far. oh and what i said earlier, no otis is definitely dead:( he was so nice, i hate shane now though, but great development of his character! but it definitely added to the series, drama,suspense and sadness. i thought the whole shane otis getting medical supplies was very good and suspenseful. i thought the acting was very good too, i really love all the new character, love maggie, and hershel too and felt really bad for patricia shes so nice too:( thought rick and loriss acting was very very good and believable and sad.loved how you could really see just how close the two really are, and lori wasnt annoying at all this episode:p i really like daryl dont get me wrong but i think hes getting too many lines and facteime now , id say he has as many lines a rick now! like glenn in the episode too he finally got some lines, cant wait to see him developed in this season, and andrea wasnt annoying. tdog im starting too like actually!i hated him in season 1,but hes developing a bit nd I kind of like him now.ii wish they would just find sophia the little girl now though its just getting boring,theyre really dragging it out. but all in all a very good episodea 7.5 out of 10 for me :) hope the next ones as good, i thought it had that same great tone, acting,suspense and same general feel in that episode as ep 1of season 01 and hope they can do as good next episode.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

bb1234567 wrote: »
    i would love to start watching mad men and breaking bad, but there already been lots of episodes out and i feel itd be harder start and get into than twd.twd got much more advertising before it began and then it didnt have many episodes so people could hear about it,start it, and when it ended they may have liked and are excited for 2nd season, and people who didnt watch it at first could catch up quickly watching 6 episodes instead of 25 and then be in time with tv airings. i have heard great things anout mm and bb but the twd is a more instant pleasure kind of show, and thats it would appeal to more ppl.

I don't follow you on this one. The first season of Breaking Bad is extremely short so it's very easy to get into. It's not like you need to play catch up with everyone else either. I often just watch a season or two of a series at a time and then leave it for a few months. (Did this with Dexter. Started watching about a year and a half ago. Up to season 5 now) That way you don't get burnt out on it.

Was that episode not 95% filler?

from the 2nd episode we were at a stage where Otis and Shane were trapped in the school, girl was still missing in the woods,

For 50 minutes they managed to drag out a heap of rubbish, Shane arrives back, girl still missing( also getting seriously bored of them out searching for her, what has there been 3 or 4 drawn scenes over the last few episodes of them searching for her?)

nah 50 percent filler at most :) so we had otis and shane going around school which was suspense and not filler that was about 20 percent.lori and rick crying,and thinking of what to do.i didnt think it was filler, it was a bit slow but very well done and very good acting from rick and lori youve got to say.that was about 35 percent of episode.since it was very well done i'd call that 15 percent filler out of the 35 percent of time spent on rick and lori,dealing with carls injury.5 percent tdog being fixed up,that wasnt filler. 5 percent maggie and glenn conversing which was good character introduction and development,that wasnt filler.and probably 25 percent looking for sophia which was pure filler.10 percentshane and everyone dealing with death of otis- not really filler,say 5 percent filler. so i'd say that was around 30-40 percent filler which isnt too bad:)

I don't follow you on this one. The first season of Breaking Bad is extremely short so it's very easy to get into. It's not like you need to play catch up with everyone else either. I often just watch a season or two of a series at a time and then leave it for a few months. (Did this with Dexter. Started watching about a year and a half ago. Up to season 5 now) That way you don't get burnt out on it.

ye sorry my post wasnt too clear,didnt really know how to get the point across.suppose your right, maybe im just lazy, i think mad men and bb look like shows that would be quite boring at start and would take a while to get into, and you have to follow a plot, where as the walking dead you could fairly easily jump right in and enjoy it straight away. i tried watching dexter and thought it was quite good, watched the first 3 episodes and found them quite slow and boring so i didnt watch again. i asked my parents why they thought dexter was such a good show and my mum it is really good but she found the first mayb 6 or 7 episodes boring too. i'd say mm and bb are quite like dexter in the way theyre quite broing at start and take awhile to get into, whereas a show like twd where you can just jump in for more instant pleasure would appeal to more people and i think that is the reason twd has like 5x more viewers. do you know twd's ratings have nearly doubled since last season,unfair on even better shows like mm and bb(well atleast from what ive heard there great):)

• Advertisement

i wish we had gotten to know otis just a little better before he died, i really liked him he was so nice and friendly , was really sad when he died,. i honestly did not see his death coming probably because i read the comics and he lasts soo much longer in them. in the comics hes introduced in issue like 9 or something and he dies in like issue 45 :eek:but itll give room for a lot of character development of his girlfriend patricia which is good.

sorry im posting so much:p but does anyone else think itd be really cool if there was a dog in their group? i think a germanshepherd would look really cool and would fit in really well with the colour tones on the show. like look how cool a german shepherd standing nobally would look on top of this rv with the rest of the group in this poster--http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=the+walking+dead+season+2+poster&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=509&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=fpn-D7iz6cvQ7M:&imgrefurl=http://c:)

bb1234567 wrote: »
    ye sorry my post wasnt too clear,didnt really know how to get the point across.suppose your right, maybe im just lazy, i think mad men and bb look like shows that would be quite boring at start and would take a while to get into, and you have to follow a plot, where as the walking dead you could fairly easily jump right in and enjoy it straight away. i tried watching dexter and thought it was quite good, watched the first 3 episodes and found them quite slow and boring so i didnt watch again. i asked my parents why they thought dexter was such a good show and my mum it is really good but she found the first mayb 6 or 7 episodes boring too. i'd say mm and bb are quite like dexter in the way theyre quite broing at start and take awhile to get into, whereas a show like twd where you can just jump in for more instant pleasure would appeal to more people and i think that is the reason twd has like 5x more viewers. do you know twd's ratings have nearly doubled since last season,unfair on even better shows like mm and bb(well atleast from what ive heard there great):)
    I actually don't think Dexter is a particularly good series tbh. I watch it sometimes but it's more of a guilty pleasure. It's basically Desperate Housewives with serial killers.

Breaking Bad is gripping right from the get go. It's nothing like Dexter, or Mad Men for that matter. You won't have any trouble getting into it. The pacing is far more fast moving that this series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I really do not like this show. And I really wanted to, because I'm a rabid fan of the books, which are simply astounding. I can live with the fact that they've basically at this point ignored the books and made a show similar in both title and character names only, but the show crawls at a snails pace and I find compared to virtually any other show on at the moment, the writing is sub par as is character development - I couldn't care less if any of the cast died, and I find each and every episode a chore to sit through for boredom and generic, predictable events. The pacing is dreadful and there is so much focus on wholly pointless and unnecessary scenes, not to mention the painfully forced 'Here's the obligatory zombie kill amongst all this soap-esque drama' scenes on occassion. Shane shooting Otis was pretty much the only interesting thing to happen, in so far as that finally, they're scraping the surface of 'it's a tough new world' and delivering hope for a darker descent ahead.

But as it is now, I have to say it's incredibly poor and I simply keep watching in the hope that it'll get better. My housemate feels the same way, we watch it simply out of love for the books, and all things zombie.

I will say though that episode one of the first season was a cracker, and very close to the books too, brooding and dark, so full of promise. Bleh. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Im still watching at the moment but it is a chore, way way too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Im still watching at the moment but it is a chore, way way too slow.
    :eek:its been 3 episodes, what kind of pace were you expecting,

rick and lori with there son has taken up about 20-35 mins
    tracking sophia in the woods probably another 25-35 mins,
    about 35-45 mins chatting around the highway,
    10 mins searching cars,
    about 30 mins getting the equipment up by the school,
    and a few bits and bobs taking up another 25 mins brings us roughly 2hrs and 45-50 mins in,

seems fairly balanced so far, plenty of caracters interacting and learning bits about each of ther pasts, there not gonna tell ya everything about each caracter from the start, what would be the point of watching it, i know a few of the caracter better from the last 3 eps, and i admit i wanna get to know some more much better, but i know thatll come in time,

don ramo wrote: »
    :eek:its been 3 episodes, what kind of pace were you expecting,

rick and lori with there son has taken up about 20-35 mins
    tracking sophia in the woods probably another 25-35 mins,
    about 35-45 mins chatting around the highway,
    10 mins searching cars,
    about 30 mins getting the equipment up by the school,
    and a few bits and bobs taking up another 25 mins brings us roughly 2hrs and 45-50 mins in,

seems fairly balanced so far, plenty of caracters interacting and learning bits about each of ther pasts, there not gonna tell ya everything about each caracter from the start, what would be the point of watching it, i know a few of the caracter better from the last 3 eps, and i admit i wanna get to know some more much better, but i know thatll come in time,
    i agree imo there has been a lot of character development tin just tholse 3 episodes and we know nearly all characters much better. we know rick and lori better, and there onscreen interactions and acting was very good imo, you couldnt do anything but truly feel very sorry for lori and rick:( so sad!im starting to like lori more now, thought that was very realistic thinking of maybe letting her son die to shield him from the horrors of the world, and i also loved how we saw how strong rick and loris relationship was.
    daryl was very underdeveloped in last season and now hes basically a whole new character and we know him very well now and lots about his childhood.
    andrea and dale have been developed quite well all ready in last season and got a lot of lines and facetime , and they havnt got as much in this season as they have to develop other characters, but it hough dale and andreas interactions on screen were very well done.

even tdog has been developed a bit, atleast hes not just body there to be eaten now. same with carol and sophia, i really like the mother i think shes a great actor,i feel really sorry for her loss, though i wish theyd stop dragging out the lost child story arc now and just find her.

glenn got some development last season and its looking like hell get a lot of development this season due to the introduction of maggie greene and their relationship.

then shane has been devoped hugely this season,nothing more to say and we know so much more since what he did to poor olotis:( and im sure all the new characterswill be devoped more hershel,maggie,jimmy, patricia and beth. we all ready know hershel and patricia a little bit, im really happy with this season so far and thnk its far better than last season and as good as the pilot in season 1. it has that same tone and genral dark feel, i think the acting is very good and theres been lots of character devlopment, and theres been plenty of tense scenes and suspense too:) great so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I think people expectations of the show are now so low... that even with only 1 minute of something interesting happening in the show
    (ie shane shooting guy)
    , they feel the other 50 or so mind numbing minutes are worth it.

It's the epitome of a poor show.. one that is soley built around cliff hangers for the next show rather than using the full slot to make something compelling.

The worst thing this show did was to give a black character a name like 'T-Dog'.

The worst thing this show did was to give a black character a name like 'T-Dog'.

true:p but he did say its just a knickname and that his real name is theodore douglas:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Giruilla wrote: »
    I think people expectations of the show are now so low... that even with only 1 minute of something interesting happening in the show
    (ie shane shooting guy)
    , they feel the other 50 or so mind numbing minutes are worth it.

It's the epitome of a poor show.. one that is soley built around cliff hangers for the next show rather than using the full slot to make something compelling.
    Then don't watch it.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Then don't watch it.

I don't! But I did watch the whole first series... in increasing shock at how quickly the show deteriorated. I'm just suprised at how low peoples expectations are for this show now..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't! But I did watch the whole first series... in increasing shock at how quickly the show deteriorated. I'm just suprised at how low peoples expectations are for this show now..

Same here, although I'm still watching it to see if the pace picks up, but it's painfully slow going. The injured son seems to have been on his deathbead for an eternity, and it's like Grey's Anatomy meets The Waltons.

I can see TWD dragging out for as long as the ratings hold up, then fizzling out with no ending.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Same here, although I'm still watching it to see if the pace picks up, but it's painfully slow going. The injured son seems to have been on his deathbead for an eternity, and it's like Grey's Anatomy meets The Waltons.

I can see TWD dragging out for as long as the ratings hold up, then fizzling out with no ending.
    2 episodes, wanna relax there a bit, the surgery has been done so now hell be recovering,

if ye want episodic tv where everything is wrapped in a nice neat little bow then CSI is always there:p,

and giruilla most people opinions are the show has improved in season 2, and if your not watching it nobody is gonna care about your opinion cause you have no idea what your talking about,

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Keep it civil folks... if you don't like the show, then stop watching.

if ye want episodic tv where everything is wrapped in a nice neat little bow then CSI is always there:p,

and giruilla most people opinions are the show has improved in season 2, and if your not watching it nobody is gonna care about your opinion cause you have no idea what your talking about,

yes i know peoples opinions have improved... thats because the last season was so horrifically bad that now everyone is content with utter mediocrity!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I don't understand people complaining about the tv showwhile saying the comic books were so much better.

The comics were incredibly slow. I swear, it was a once-per-month comic and it took ten comics to reach Hershel's farm.

The tv series (when it is in season) is once per week and they reached Hershel's farm by episode 8 and they've added a fair bit of cool, eventful stuff, the comics didn't have. Shane was already killed at this point, they didn't have any of the handcuffed guy on the roof who cuts off his own hand, they didn't have the CDC facility or whatever it was, the missing girl and they didn't have Shane killing other people to survive.

I get the feeling people either read the comic books years ago and remember it better than it was or they got all of them at once, sat down, and read them in a weekend. But I really feel like the pace of the TV show is on par or faster than the comics.

yes i know peoples opinions have improved... thats because the last season was so horrifically bad that now everyone is content with utter mediocrity!!
    im never conent with mediocrity, i like this show, its new and its still finding it feet but i think its been good so far, thats mine and plenty of other peoples opinions, mind you therell be just as many people that will dislike the show now thats its a massive hit, i believe prison break was the last show i remember getting torn to pieces for no apparent reason in season 2, i expect that to happen here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

2 episodes, wanna relax there a bit, the surgery has been done so now hell be recovering,

If you can imagine a CSI episode spread out over 6 episodes, then you might understand where I'm coming from.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well i like it. maybe my standards just aren't that high, but i'm fine with it so far.

actually, if anything i thought the whole shane/otis thing was one of the weaker points so far, it was far to obvious how that was going to go right from the point where otis offered to tag along in ep.2.

Advertisement