Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercise in pregnancy?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Hoping for a bit of advice! Just did the test on Monday and it came up positive (or BFB If I'm learning the lingo right?!). It was a bit of a shock as we just got married and hadn't really started trying, but a really happy shock.

Anyway, the whole exercise thing has been worrying me, so great to see lots of support here.

I've two quite specific questions I hope you can help me with.

I normally do pilates once a week. I did it this week right before I took the test, and during it hurt my back doing shoulder bridge, which I've never done before. It may or may not be related, but I'm wondering should I quit it or keep going? Should I talk to my teacher (it's kinda awkward cos she's a family friend and we're not telling anybody yet!).

Also, running - I'm a keen runner and have done 2 marathons and lots of half marathons. I've signed up to do the Run in the Dark 10k next Wednesday. Since the wedding, I haven't done a huge amount of training (5-8k 2-3 times a week) so am pretty unfit anyway, but could definitely manage 10k. I'm worried though, this might be risky?! I am thinking of switching down to the 5k as it's easy to switch? And do it at a slow pace? Loads of our friends/ family are doing it, so I don't want to arouse suspicion by not doing it, plus I think 5k should be fine?

My back is still sore, so I don't think I'll be doing anything for the next day or two anyway! Going to see the doc tomorrow, but from what I've heard, they always err on the side of caution to cover themselves anyway.

Congrats on your pregnancy! I hope you are feeling alright. On the Pilate's question, it would be a good idea to tell the instructor that you're pregnant as some normal moves are not advised for pregnant women. A prenatal-specific class might be best, and tbh it's also nice to be in a class with other women of various stages of pregnancy. On the running, I can't give you any advice really as it's different for everyone but I'll say my experience and hope you find it useful.

My son is 10 weeks now. Like you I've run 2 marathons, a few halfs, 10 milers 5k 8ks and a couple of tris. I'd looked into exercising when pregnant and decided to keep it up as much as i could for the benifits for me and baby. My docs and midwifes were very supportive and encouraged their patients to keep exercising to a level that felt ok, it's good for reducing risk of preclampsia, gestational diabetes, supposed to let to shorter labour etc. I just made sure i didn't overheat and didn't exhaust myself, as they seemed to be the main concerns for exercise in pregnancy. Some people did think I was nuts, but I knew it was a good thing for both me and baby and not a risk. The baby isn't going to fall out or get bumped or anything. Bar a few weeks in march, I ran 2-4 times every week, 3-5 miles each run, raced a 5k at about 8 weeks and an 8k at about 10 weeks. I didn't race after that as I was pretty sick and tired and the weather was warning up, although I found that running did make me feel better overall. I did a few prenatal yoga and Pilates classes, swam about once a fortnight during the summer. Towards the end, it was more like run a mile, waddled a couple minutes then run again. I jog/waddled 3 miles on both the sat and sun before I gave birth (he was 3 weeks early so I didn't know it was so close).

Some people/docs/midwives still have the old fashioned view that a pregnant women should put the feet up from day one, but the modern view is to encourage women to keep active relative to what they did before pregnancy, as it's healthy.

I felt it was the best thing for me and baby, and i did as much as felt right. You'll know yourself what feels enough or too much to do. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Buttercup78

KKcatlou I'm sorta in the same boat as you. I'm not the fastest runner in the world, but did a half marathon earlier in the year, actually did the pink run at 1/2 weeks pregnant. Since then I've been running 1-3 times a week doing the 5210k training. I've been running the nights I'm not sick. Did 10k on Monday, rubbish time but did it, and will be doing the run in the dark next week, I'll be 14 weeks gone. I'll also be doing another 10k race at the end of the month. I'm going to keep running as long as it's comfortable. After that I'll be walking and going back to spinning classes. I'm determined not to pile on weight in this pregnancy, the only things I'd recommend is make sure you're doing your pelvic floor excercises, keeping hydrated enough, and just go at your own pace, making sure you don't overheat! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Thanks a million madeinamerica and Buttercup78, that's just the reassurance I needed! I got my confirmation from the doctor yesterday, and she was the 10k should be fine, plus the pilates once I tell the instructor. So here's hoping all will be as good for me as it has been for the 2 of you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 E_M_K

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Thanks a million madeinamerica and Buttercup78, that's just the reassurance I needed! I got my confirmation from the doctor yesterday, and she was the 10k should be fine, plus the pilates once I tell the instructor. So here's hoping all will be as good for me as it has been for the 2 of you!!

I did a 5km's at 6 weeks & 8km at 15weeks organised races while pregnant, did only 30min training runs to prepare for it. I just kept it steady. Its all about effort level from what I've read, keep it below 7 out of 10. I did sports yoga up until week 18/19 then I felt like the front stretches were a bit much, I also hadn't put on much weight by then. Now 21 weeks I do prenatal yoga & love it. I also swim 4k a week & gym 2 days but I just watch the effort levels. On the other side my energy levels are great & I feel good so I'm happy to keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

How are you gals protecting / strengthening your backs? Babs is 6 wks and nearly 12lbs and feeling it in my back already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

73trix wrote: »
    How are you gals protecting / strengthening your backs? Babs is 6 wks and nearly 12lbs and feeling it in my back already!

Oh I know, my back is so sore :( baby is 10 weeks tomo and she was 13lbs at 6 weeks.. I'm not doing any core exercises yet, kind of afraid to without getting some advice/help. I just really try to tighten my core when lifting buggy chassis in and out of boot. It's lifting the child in the car seat that truly does my back in! Other than that I'm not doing anything besides my daily baby weightlifting!

I went for my first post baby run/walk last weekend, sadly there was leakage... I've been doing my pelvic floors all week so I'm hoping this will pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Gatica

I didn't see any other relevant threads. If mods are ok with continuing this one, thought I'd try here...

Any other mums-to-be still doing a bit of their usual exercise through pregnancy? I'm still going to spinning, yoga, and circuit (albeit modified version of some exercises)... no issues with the trainers or GP, mostly comments from family and friends as they think I'm mad.

I've done my bit of research as I wanted to be safe as possible. I'm in no way qualified to instruct people, but I've made this little list that makes sense to me:
    • don't take up new workout regime if you weren't active before pregnancy (walking, swimming and gentle yoga for newbies is ok, but don't take up running a marathon if you've never run) There's women that have done that, but only experienced runners.
    • don't over-heat (redirects blood circulation to cooling you instead of the baby) or hold breath
    • don't let your heart rate go too high (there's a new measurement for that in that you should be able to hold a conversation without gasping for breath, rather than a target heart rate as everyone can be different) and probably for same reason as overheating
    • nothing high impact (other than actual abdominal impact, it's stuff like doing large leaps and jumps that can jolt the fetus in the belly, just common sense really)
    • no twisting the mid-section (mainly applies to yoga and is kinda common sense)
    • nothing heavier than you've lifted before, and probably a little lighter (there's a good few weight-lifting mums out there! and all healthy, but they already were weightlifting and knew technique and just lowered intensity)
    • don't exhaust yourself or do anything that doesn't feel comfortable (kinda related to the above, but just keeping within general parameters)
    • and keep hydrated.

So I'm doing spinning at around 80% my previous intensity, as long as I'm not overheating (I sweat and turn pink, but not bright red) and not gasping for breath (I can chat while cycling, without needing to stop much for air), I don't have aches and pains or dizziness, it feel fine to continue and I feel great after.

At yoga the instructor has just modified some of my poses so I don't scrunch up on my tummy.

And at circuit I'm still doing light jumping (nothing uncomfortable), step, weights that I did before, squats and planks (they all feel comfortable but I don't do more than 2-3 rounds and substitute something else in if I feel it's gonna be too much strain on my abs), the push-ups are off a step now and I do marching instead of high-knees, as it just doesn't feel right anymore.

My goal now is to get a routine that incorporates more exercise-ball exercises so I do those instead of the normal crunches/abs workout, and ways to substitute what I do now for new modified version instead of stopping altogether, as I really love the social aspect of some of my classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I am. Wasn't terribly fit before though but I'm back at gym now the first trimester is over. I do a very gentle warm up on cross trainer, a bit on bike, some legs and arms weights, and stretches. As I wasn't doing much before bar walking I'm taking it very easy. Probably a bit too easy! But I feel good, it's not too taxing that it worries me, and even if it's gentle it's better than sitting on couch eating biccies!

I'm trying to do 3-4 days in gym for 45 mins and two days doing a nice walk. My big goal is to get my hips flexible! For obvious reasons!! Aside from that it'll hopefully help me maintain a good weight and feel good. I've only been back s couple weeks but I swear I'm feeling better about myself

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I never stopped until the bitter end - was still swimming even after my due date! Kept up running until 25 weeks, gym cardio (elliptical and stationary bike) and strength work until 35 weeks and yoga until 37 weeks. I had done two triathlons in my first trimester - sprint distance at 5 weeks and an Olympic distance at 8 weeks.

Just listen to your body - I had an easy pregnancy and was able to do a lot, others aren't so lucky.

I still piled weight on though - gained 18kg. My son is 9 weeks old now and I've lost 12kg of that, the rest will come with time. I had a relatively straightforward birth in the midwife-led birth centre at the local hospital - no stitches and a fairly quick recovery, I started running again when he was 5 weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

Great post Gatica, one thing they say in my pregnancy fitness videos is not to do any weight training where the weights are lifted above your shoulders, keep weighted exercises below heart level so dumbbell curls etc. are all fine.

I was a keen runner before but at 18 weeks now I just cant maintain it, did a parkrun a few weeks ago and ran the whole lot but in hindsight it was too much for me. Now I jog for four minutes and walk for 90 seconds and repeat that circuit for 45 mins, am finding it a lot easier but still feel that I'm doing something.

I'm trying to stay as fit as possible this time around so do two run/walks, 1 swim session, 1 weights session and one pregnancy yoga dvd a week to keep things ticking over. Feel good for it, but am finding that if I dont do it first thing in the morning then it wont get done as by evening time I'm ready for the couch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

xalot wrote: »
    Great post Gatica, one thing they say in my pregnancy fitness videos is not to do any weight training where the weights are lifted above your shoulders, keep weighted exercises below heart level so dumbbell curls etc. are all fine.

Is that true? My husband wanted me to try some machine, don't know wat it's called but basically it has a long bar you grip with both hands and pull down. I recall reading we are not supposed to strain upwards, is that rights?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Is that true? My husband wanted me to try some machine, don't know wat it's called but basically it has a long bar you grip with both hands and pull down. I recall reading we are not supposed to strain upwards, is that rights?

That sounds like it would have abdominal work in it, so probably not advisable especially if its new to you and not something you did pre-pregnancy. But discuss all of it with your gym instructor. Gyms and trainers will err on the side of caution, just like your doctors will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

That's a pull down machine for your shoulders and arms, I've removed that machine from my rotation. Supposedly it's ok as long as the weights are kept light but I'm not comfortable doing it. If you haven't used it before I definitely wouldn't start now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

This sounds like a lateral pull down, keep it light and keep your back straight and you will be fine. If it feels uncomfortable don't bother with it. I use to replace one or two of my usual exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I do mostly weight training, with assistance work and some speed work, plus a lot of walking.

Since pregnancy I have kept the weights a little lighter. I leave out certain excercise a, and I wear a heart monitor.

32 weeks now and I don't do the speed stuff at all. Walking has been uncomfortable for ages so have left that out also. The heat at the moment has me killed(I work on my feet) so no gym at all this week. Just too much.

Everybody is different, I was closely monitored in the gym and my doctor was happy for me to continue weigh training, especially as walking went out the window fairly fast! I even managed a pb on my deadlift at six months gone!

I have only gained about ten pounds so far but bear in mind I was not thin to start out(still overall about before pregnancy about a dress size more than I would like - I disregard the scales, they don't mean too much when I do so much weight training normally)

Everyone is different, every pregnancy is different, I would recommend trying a few things and learning to recognise when you are tired.

xalot wrote: »

I've read this before and I've also read anecdotal info on women doing kettlebells including lifting while supervised by qualified instructor, so tbh, I don't know what the medical reasons for doing or not doing it are. Is it just if you have heart pressure problems?
    I've been feeling perfectly fine, no dizzy spells and I've still included some abs as well as over the head lifts - none of them heavy or lengthy, mind you. MIL told me not to lift arms above head in general, had to look up that one, turned out it was old wives tale about the umbilical cord wrapping itself around the baby's head if you lift your arms... :rolleyes:
    The other one has me confused is spinning. Someone else on this or another thread said of all things, do NOT do spinning, and someone else at work told me that you shouldn't cycle at all when pregnant (not just spinning, just cycle! so go figure), then others have said light spinning is a safer exercise than other gym exercises... I've to say I'm still in spinning, I find it more comfortable to stand up or hover in class (whereas have read recommendations to only sit due to balance) than sit if I'm going faster as I've more belly room and I'm lucky to have pretty decent balance (maybe it's also cos belly not huge yet at 18 weeks, so it's not impacting the balance yet). I sit by the window for the fresh air and bail out sooner on the longer "fast" sections, while letting the rest of them huff and puff through it..

Joined a different gym this week, got 3 month membership, will see how it's going closer to due date. So far tried their spinning and kettlebells classes. Spinning bikes weren't as adjustable and nice as my old gym, but class was good. Really liked the kettlebells, it's only half hour long and amazing how quickly it flies, also found the proper core poses for it great for my back thereafter.

Also registered for 4 weeks of prenatal pilates. Hope find it good for lower back aches. Starting next monday.

Anyone else got updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Kantava

I am going on holidays next week but starting pilates the week after that.

Having some good days now, but yesterday.... complete and total exhaustion. I had to stop work and go to sleep for most of the day.

prenatal pilates were really good. Feels like I'm getting a proper pilates class but targeted at pregnancy, I got more out of it than prenatal yoga. Also tried a maternity exercise class held locally, surprisingly tough work and as good as the gym classes. I think when my 3 months at the gym expire I'll have enough with those two!

Feeling a little more tired last few days.

Advertisement