Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercise in pregnancy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Hope ye are keeping well and active ladies!

Well the heat has gotten the better of me. Last Thursday was the last of my lunchtime runs. It was just getting stupid to be out running in 30 C. I ran/jogged/walked at the weekend in the morning and it was a lot better. My pace has gone way down too, and hills are now not an option. Nice to get out there though! Pre-work jogs it will have to be from now on.

BTW, I've noticed that if I tense my stomach muscles, like pulling on something heavy, it kind of makes a bit of a tent or ridge shape down the middle. Is this normal or have I split my poor stomach muscles?! I've an appointment tomorrow so hope to ask the Ob then.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

BTW, I've noticed that if I tense my stomach muscles, like pulling on something heavy, it kind of makes a bit of a tent or ridge shape down the middle. Is this normal or have I split my poor stomach muscles?! I've an appointment tomorrow so hope to ask the Ob then.

Oh I feel super silly now- I have this too, I notice it when I sit up from lying down- but I thought it was the baby!! She is head down and most of the time I can see or feel her bum sticking out a bit from the bump, so in the same position as I see the tent/ridge shape. But it makes more sense that it would be muscle. Ha ha! Do let me know what your Ob says though, I'm so curious. Hopefully we haven't split our muscles!

That's some heat to be running in alright, and as for hills- I find just walking up hills a major challenge now. Pre work jogs sound lovely though. I used to be an early-morning runner and just loved it, not sure what time-of-day runner I will be post-baby :)

How's the swimming going ladies? Mine is about once a week now! 33 weeks now. Not as frequent as I'd planned! Also bursting out of maternity swimsuit. Hopefully it will last me another few weeks. And as for keeping up with bikini-line maintenance...well. The stuff nobody tells you about pregnancy...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

What?? I actually noticed this weird shape too when flexing my tummy, stretching to get something. It looked sooooo odd! I hope its not damage. Please keep us posted!

Otherwise, my feet returned to normal after the very hot weather so still walking plenty and swimming. I bought the prenatal pilates DVD someone here recommended. Sweet jesus, am i inflexible!! I'm finding it tough at times!!!!

Cameoette wrote: »
    Oh I feel super silly now- I have this too, I notice it when I sit up from lying down- but I thought it was the baby!! She is head down and most of the time I can see or feel her bum sticking out a bit from the bump, so in the same position as I see the tent/ridge shape. But it makes more sense that it would be muscle. Ha ha! Do let me know what your Ob says though, I'm so curious. Hopefully we haven't split our muscles!

How's the swimming going ladies? Mine is about once a week now! 33 weeks now. Not as frequent as I'd planned! Also bursting out of maternity swimsuit. Hopefully it will last me another few weeks. And as for keeping up with bikini-line maintenance...well. The stuff nobody tells you about pregnancy...!

Will report back from Ob re stomach strangeness.

I've taken to wearing my wee triathlon shorts and a sports bra - it's an outdoor pool with a kind of deck area that people treat more like the beach anyway so there are all types of clothes. I initially wore the shorts as my togs didn't fit, but shorts mean less hassle with bikini-line maintenance!

Bikini maintenance...hmmm, tricky...can still just-about-do! I may need to consider a salon at some point though...:o

I now have my OH painting my toenails for me as that is a no-go now! :D

Swimming is great. Love it. Only that I've been going much less often than I had planned as the weather has been so nice that I really prefer to get out for a walk in it. Wet weather = swimming for sure! Still in my Dunnes mat togs. So far so good.

Fair play on the running still though, Made. I stopped jogging at about 20wks but still walk plenty, luckily.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The two vertical stomach muscles naturally part during pregnancy. In the follow up with the PHN she can check its knitting back together properly a few months after the birth. But, no harm to chat to a midwife or consultant to get the professional opinion.

Thanks Neyite. sounds awful though!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thanks Neyite. sounds awful though!

Not awful. :) First I heard about it was a coffee morning when the baby was 3 months old and the physio was giving a talk and they offered to check us all for it. Mine apparently wasnt closed but my tum was still flat but it went back to normal not long after. So its not a bit sore or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Yeah, i had that weird tummy thing on the last one and have it on this one too. Seems to go back to normal after the baby is born.
    Am still sticking with the running and i think its actually going a bit better than it did the last time. I feel more comfortable but maybe i forget what it was like later :) 26 weeks now. Aim to get to 32 weeks if i can. Have been on a few trips to the pool but with my toddler so no swimming happening for me. Just him holding on to me tightly. Hes so nervous of the pool. I hope he grows out of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Just had my rest week and i have to say I'm finding it difficult to get my motivation going again to get back to the gym.. I'm struggling :eek: as for the tummy muscle thing, thats completely normal, the muscles have to split to allow your tummy to expand otherwise they'd rip :eek: Thats one of the things they check for after the birth, you can feel it as it goes back, last time I was left with a little hole over my belly button for a few months but it all settled down eventually.. I've been told in physio my core is super strong as I can hold positions that non pregnant people find difficult to hold... you wouldn't think it though when i try to get off the couch!! :pac:
    I got a support belt last week as the ligaments in the bottom of my tummy were pulling like bejeesus when i was walking. Its great.. although baba doesn't like it, she kicks like mad when I put it on!! On the plus side I'm not gaining too much weight as my appetite has deserted me in the last 2 or 3 weeks..I'm 21+6 today so on the downward count even if i go 2 weeks over :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info re the stomach muscles, ladies. Glad to hear it is a normal (but weird looking) thing! I suppose they have to go somewhere for the baby to fit in there.

So the Ob said the same as ye all, the stomach thing is normal and most people's go back together a while after birth. Phew, I'm not breaking in half so!

Do any of ye have jogging strollers or any desire to get one? It is the only thing we've actually decided on. We were at a wee local 5k last night that my other half did and there were 4 parents running it with strollers so we did some research chatting to 2 of them after the race :) They love them, and their kids seem to like it too. There was another woman whose husband was running it, she had her 6 week old in a car seat that was sat inside a Bob stroller. They havent been jogging with it yet as the baby is too young but it was good to see it with the car seat attached. It mostly seems to be the Bob Stroller brand here. They seem to be quite big even when folded up, but we don't have a car to be putting it in so I guess it won't matter. We will get the car seat attachment so it can hold a small baby, although no actually jogging till about 6 months apparently as the head/neck strength isnt good enough, and we do sometimes rent cars for trips so we need one anyway (and for getting home from the hospital!).

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

I bought a jogging stroller, it's the baby jogger summit x3, can use with car seat & can also get a bassinet but I'm not bothering with that as the seat is adjustable to almost flat for newborns. Haven't had baby yet but seems well made & folds really easily, have a look at reviews online!

http://www.babyjogger.com/product/summit-x3/

Thanks shortstuff! I'll check that one out. Good luck with it :)

So the Ob said the same as ye all, the stomach thing is normal and most people's go back together a while after birth. Phew, I'm not breaking in half so!

Do any of ye have jogging strollers or any desire to get one?

That's cool about the stomach thing :) mystery solved for me!

I thought about the jogging stroller but ended up getting a Quinny. I figured I would prefer to go for walks with the baby and do the runs by myself if I get a chance. My main reason is that I have an old shoulder injury and I just wasn't sure about how I would be running and pushing buggy at the same time seen as I tend to re-injure it a good bit. I'm probably just being over-cautious. I do think jogging with a stroller looks great! Have seen people run with the Quinny actually but officially you are not meant to use it as a jogging stroller, so don't think I will.

When we have the babies we should set up an exercise post-pregnancy thread if there's not one already!

When we have the babies we should set up an exercise post-pregnancy thread if there's not one already!

Great idea! I'm not aware of one, and from a quick search of the newborn forum there doesn't seem to be one. I'm expecting exercise post-pregnancy to be a whole other kettle of fish, so will be good to have a thread to chat about it.

I have a baby jogger city mini, and while its nippy, I would NOT use it for newborn jogging, despite its name. Because the seat back is not really moulded or solid for the baby, and attached to the sides by mesh so it can be lowered to almost flat or sitting, it sways from side to side. The baby as a newborn hated the sensation of it and howled the minute I tried to strap him in, so I ended up getting a quinny frame that I put the car seat into for the first few months.

I used it from about 5 months for town use, and after a year I was happy to take the baby on unpaved paths in the woods with it, but not before as its a bumpy ride for them.

Having said that, as a buggy I do like it a lot, its nippy, lightweight, and the folding /unfolding is genius. My baby is two and there is still lots and lots of room. I worried initially that I should have got one that converted to a double buggy down the line, but a second baby has not happened for us yet, so I guess that solved that dilemma. If you are planning babies close together in age, its worth taking that into consideration.

I think if you were jogging on a path that was well paved, smooth, with nothing bumpy that might catch the front wheel and tip it on its side, with a baby who was 6 months plus, then you'd be fine, but as it can tip on its side easily enough, if there was a car seat attached, it might make it more likely to tip over,

Think the summit is the only baby jogger buggy that they state is suitable for jogging, after 6months that is! The name is very deceiving!

Thanks for the joggin buggy info ladies!

Got my belly band during the week, a Gabriella one. Tried it out on a wee walk/jog this morning. I found it kind of uncomfortable on the bump after a while and that it was more squishing the bump rather than lifting or supporting it. I tried adjusting the velcro to a looser spot but it didn't seem good. I think my bump must be lying very low as it was hard to get it under neath the bump. I still got a few stomach muscle stretchy pains with it on. It felt really nice on my lower back though, I could definitely feel the support there. I'll try it another few times, perhaps I need to get used to it and get the right position. Although, I don't want to be squishing bubs inside!

On a side note, as I was jogging/waddling along, I looked down and could just about see my toes popping out front for every step underneath this HUGE bump :pac: For some reason I found it hilarious! And took a wee video of my view on my phone. The massive running belly! :pac: :D

I envy you still jogging MiA. I have let my regime slide for 2wks+ due to v busy time with family commitments e.g. extra caring role and i miss it. Much of my spare time is gone theswe days. >9wks to go so really want to keep fit-ish as long as possible but time is a factor. Are you all doing your kegels?? I was good the first few months but not so good nowceven tho they are so easy to do. Recently when coughing i swore i released a little bit of urine (sorry for TMI) so it has frightened me into doing them more! I didn't think that could happen BEFORE the birth!!

• Advertisement

It'll happen 73trix :eek: its all the pressure of the baby lying on your bladder, as s/he drops down in the later weeks the pressure gets worse .... the upside is when s/he is out the pressure is gone but when you cough or laugh sometimes it'll catch u ... :D
    I went back to the gym last week for the first time in 3 weeks, technically i only missed 1 and a bit, cos i had no car for a week and a half, so I was pushing a double buggy with a 2 and 4 year old in it and the walk into town is 2.5k. I was surprised the only thing that bothered me in the gym was staying on the bike :D I'm starting to get in my own way !!

I'm 24+4 now and my bump feels MASSIVE.. mind you so does my butt and my thighs and my everywhere.... :( even though i can walk at between 6.5 and 7k on the treadmill for 20 mins, with uphill for 10, 10 mins on the bike to go 4k, then do all my weights some core, i still feel so sluggish and huge the rest of the time... I feel like a whale :eek: boo.. sorry for the moan...

73trix wrote: »
    I envy you still jogging MiA. I have let my regime slide for 2wks+ due to v busy time with family commitments e.g. extra caring role and i miss it. Much of my spare time is gone theswe days. >9wks to go so really want to keep fit-ish as long as possible but time is a factor. Are you all doing your kegels?? I was good the first few months but not so good nowceven tho they are so easy to do. Recently when coughing i swore i released a little bit of urine (sorry for TMI) so it has frightened me into doing them more! I didn't think that could happen BEFORE the birth!!

Ah its not much jogging really, I can only manage about 3/4 or 1 mile before I need to walk for a few minutes due to round ligament pain or tired calves, then start trotting again. And if I hit any bit of an incline at all I'm fecked! I hear ya on the time issue though. Sure all your activity to date will stand you well come the big day :)

Kegels.... eh, sometimes! They are so easy to do but I never remember :/

cbyrd wrote: »
    It'll happen 73trix :eek: its all the pressure of the baby lying on your bladder, as s/he drops down in the later weeks the pressure gets worse .... the upside is when s/he is out the pressure is gone but when you cough or laugh sometimes it'll catch u ... :D
    I went back to the gym last week for the first time in 3 weeks, technically i only missed 1 and a bit, cos i had no car for a week and a half, so I was pushing a double buggy with a 2 and 4 year old in it and the walk into town is 2.5k. I was surprised the only thing that bothered me in the gym was staying on the bike :D I'm starting to get in my own way !!

I'm 24+4 now and my bump feels MASSIVE.. mind you so does my butt and my thighs and my everywhere.... :( even though i can walk at between 6.5 and 7k on the treadmill for 20 mins, with uphill for 10, 10 mins on the bike to go 4k, then do all my weights some core, i still feel so sluggish and huge the rest of the time... I feel like a whale :eek: boo.. sorry for the moan...

Sounds like you are doing great in the gym cybrd, despite your whale-feelings! Lots of variety with the weights and core too. I'm a typical bad runner, no core, sooo crap at the weekly pilates classes I've been doing, need it more than once a week.

lol knocking yourself around the bike with your bump :pac: sounds pretty funny!

73trix wrote: »
    Are you all doing your kegels?? I was good the first few months but not so good nowceven tho they are so easy to do. Recently when coughing i swore i released a little bit of urine (sorry for TMI) so it has frightened me into doing them more! I didn't think that could happen BEFORE the birth!!

I only do kegels when I actually read the word 'kegels', I'm so bad!

I'm 36+2 now, an awful lot of lying down happening, even sitting is getting impossible thanks to little feet pressing high up under my ribs!
    I've been a tiny bit better about going for walks lately (very short walks). But I must be switching into crazy pregnant woman mode because when I'm about to walk somewhere I then think I should really be conserving my energy for cleaning, or hoovering...:pac:

I only do kegels when I actually read the word 'kegels', I'm so bad!

Ha Im the same, got as far as kegels on your post & clenched:)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Me too :D

Running has stopped the last 2 for me. Just found it too warm to run and have been doing very little other exercise. Feeling pretty guilty now, and lazy. Meeting a friend for a run on Thursday and will try to get out tonight. Haven't even made it to yoga once this whole pregnancy!!

Ha Im the same, got as far as kegels on your post & clenched:)

Ha! same here!

Made the gym today and strangely found the uphill on the treadmill way easier than the flat.. i also put on my swimsuit for a bit of support, its a bit tight for the pool but perfect for holding me altogether :D I was so tempted to run it was ridiculous..25 weeks tomorrow and off for my GTT in the morning...

I think I broke myself at prenatal yoga yesterday... Ow my pelvis.

• Advertisement

I failed to find a prenatal yoga class locally but just as well as I've been very busy in the evenings to have had to commit to classes.

I am pretty much sticking with swimming from here on in. IN the past week especially, I'm finding walking at any kind of pace increasingly uncomfortable. Some days I'm grand, other days I feel lot of pressure in my pelvic area and an urge to pee even though I don't need to! I'm 32+5 now. I reckon it's gentle walks from now on, so hardly much exercise. Thank goodness for swimming.

I bought a pilates DVD recommended on this thread weeks ago but have been rubbish at doing it. I keep telling myself, ok next week. My only hope is if the weather is bad and to take a break from swimming.

But of course, I don't want the weather to be bad...

How are the rest of you getting on? Especially those of you on serious countdown like me?

Advertisement