Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 16, Stage 14: Saint-Gaudens - Plateau de Beille 168km

Options
  • 15-07-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭

Stage win = Tour win?

The Tour has climbed Plateau de Beille three times and on each occasion, the stage winner has gone on to claim the yellow jersey in Paris. Will today's winner follow Marco Pantani (1998), Lance Armstrong (2002) and Alberto Contador (2007)? They just might, thanks to the five categorised climbs that precede the final summit ascent. At almost 16km and with a gradient just below 8 per cent, the final climb is long and tough enough for the leaders to overhaul any breakaways and dispute the day's spoils between them. The podium contenders should become clear today.

tdf2011_14sm_600.jpg

tdf2011_14sp_600.jpg

you have to think that the shlecks, evans, contador basso etc have to make a move

itv4 from 11am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Right, I'm off to stock up on tea bags and biscuits. This will be an uninterrupted afternoon of viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Magical stage, 6 tough climbs with an uphill finish. Bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Right, I'm off to stock up on tea bags and biscuits. This will be an uninterrupted afternoon of viewing.

throw in the odd power gel, just for authenticity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

Stage win = Tour win?

The Tour has climbed Plateau de Beille three times and on each occasion, the stage winner has gone on to claim the yellow jersey in Paris. Will today's winner follow Marco Pantani (1998), Lance Armstrong (2002) and Alberto Contador (2007)? They just might, thanks to the five categorised climbs that precede the final summit ascent. At almost 16km and with a gradient just below 8 per cent, the final climb is long and tough enough for the leaders to overhaul any breakaways and dispute the day's spoils between them. The podium contenders should become clear today.

tdf2011_14sm_600.jpg

tdf2011_14sp_600.jpg

you have to think that the shlecks, evans, contador basso etc have to make a move

itv4 from 11am

BRING IT ON! Go Nico, Go Thor! Go Shleks! Go Cadel! Boo Alberto!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

im hoping it pisses rain... in dublin! therefore i wont feel guilty sitting on my ass inside watching 5 hours of the live televised cycling spectacular that this 'queen stage' (i believe is the term) will be.. cant wait :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

mahoo wrote: »
    im hoping it pisses rain... in dublin! therefore i wont feel guilty sitting on my ass inside watching 5 hours of the live televised cycling spectacular that this 'queen stage' (i believe is the term) will be.. cant wait :D

I hope the weather's lovely. That way, the wife will go to the zoo and bring the girls with her. I'll be left in peace.

My tip for today is Damiano Cunego. It's time. Also, Sammy Sanchez, again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Contador to do it today, if not then his Tour is gone.

Last time they went up here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCxvckqzgtw

Evans to be in yellow at the end of the day.

I am very, very excited about this stage. :)

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Reckon Basso might try for the stage today, he looked pretty strong on Thursdays stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Winner of this stage will be the one to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Couch cleared.

This will be EPIC - can't wait - like a happy kid :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

20 men in the break :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Question for those in the know....
    So the guys in the main peleton can take a 'natural break' within reason whenever they want to and be paced back up to the group, but if you're in a breakaway is that it for you for the day in terms of taking a leak? No stopping for a pee (or do you just 'let it flow' if you want to stay in the break?)......:confused:

Edit: Of course, you wait for a slight descent and hang off the side of the bike !

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

I dont care who is in Yellow at the end of today, just once its not Voekler. I dislike his face:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Do people consider this to be the queen stage?Surely the monster next Thursday gets that honour. 4 NC climbs,ending on the Galibier, or even the following stage with the harder side of the Galibier and then the Alpe d'Huez.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

evi leipheimer: it's the hardest stage of the tour and the final climb is gonna be brutal

todays final climb is a much tougher climb than stage 18's.

Gilbert :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Jv just said that thor did 69mph (112km/h) on the descent yesterday

Gilbert getting a two from the Garmin Car :L

that been said, stage 18's final climb does ramp up near the end. and is a brutal 22.8km .

just hoping for a great stage today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Anyone watching a good stream. I'll be damned if i have to watch ITV4 with all the adverts.

• Advertisement

Cavandish in trouble, downing water and getting showered.

mgmt do you have eurosport ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

2smiggy wrote: »
    evi leipheimer: it's the hardest stage of the tour and the final climb is gonna be brutal

todays final climb is a much tougher climb than stage 18's.

Probably, but they have to go up the Izoard and the Agnel before then, both climbs are horrible, and the Galibier is a big name mountain.

Same for stage 19 with the Telegraphe,Galibier(harder side) and then the Alpe d'Huez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

The Eurosport lads are in good form today ,,,,Egg story was:D

ps Did you see the lad climbing in the An Post Jersey during the preview bit:P

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Jv just said that thor did 69mph (112km/h) on the descent yesterday

Only caught the highlights yesterday, wish they had shown more of Thor's descent, would love to see what sort of lines he was taking compared to, say, the Schlecks.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

Andy for the win. Cav to miss the time limit.

My setup for the 1st hour or so of the stage today. A workstand and a piece of plywood makes a great "table" for a laptop. I had to run a line from the laptop to the hi-fi to hear the audio above the turbo.
    Need to get a fan though - stifling in the shed.
    167292.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Nico noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Roche dropped...he'll get back on the decent..but it spells trouble for the last climb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

DominoDub wrote: »
    The Eurosport lads are in good form today ,,,,Egg story was:D

You think so. It was at that point that I switched to TG4.:mad:

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement