Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preview of REAL Digital EPG

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

That's a bit of different spin - rather than RTE refusing to deal with them, it appears to be about the terms.
    RTE has refused to supply the RTE channels on a fair basis

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭tlaavtech

I wonder if it a chicken and egg situation:

RTE won't allow themselves to be added to a non-existant platform, and Real can't justify the launch here without RTE.

My guess is that RTE are waiting for the UK launch to be successful, and then see how things go. If things didn't work out for Real, RTE would get lots of phone calls from annoyed subscribers wondering why it is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The phrase "fair basis" suggests it's not simply RTE saying no as was previously suggested.

It's not worth much and isn't informed, but my speculation would be that RTE are insisting on the same set up as their deal with sky - i.e. realdigital pay for uplink and encryption.

Assuming this isn't just convenient cover for other non-RTE related issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's not worth much and isn't informed, but my speculation would be that RTE are insisting on the same set up as their deal with sky - i.e. realdigital pay for uplink and encryption

and transponder capacity? Does Sky carry the Irish channels FOC on one of their transponders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

My understanding is that all the Irish channels would be carried at no cost to the channels themselves at all. I would agree with the view put forward that RTE in particular are waiting to see when Real launch before committing. Real Digital's press launch is in a few weeks time so maybe we will know more then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Just received an email from Real Digital, stating that the service officially launches on September 1st and that set top boxes with the viewing card for their epg included in the packaging, will initially be on sale from Maplins. I presume more info to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

byte wrote: »
    From Real's Facebook page in a reply 11 hours ago...

Byte do you have a url for the facebook page, a search did not show it up?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

http://www.facebook.com/REALDigitalTV

I see they are using DigitalStream boxes for PVR and Fortec as their single tuners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

The launch planned for early September has been refocused for later in the month.

from here

You can pre order a receiver from Maplin .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭very

is there any chance they will carry channel 5?, in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

If they do exactly as they said they would, it should be the system we have all been waiting for, ie all British and Irish terrestrial channels on one epg, fully recordable on their pvr, etc, etc. But don't hold your breath, Real Digital have promised much and delivered zero so far. I hope they prove me wrong, but I fear it will not deliver what we want here in ROI.

Advertisement