Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preview of REAL Digital EPG

Options
  • 15-07-2011 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Here's an early look at the REAL Digital EPG...

photo-2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

has deals been signed with rte tv3 yet for an irish launch?
    i notice it only has now and next info and not full epg.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

I believe the full EPG will be switched on around mid August. I understand that TV3 and TG4 have been fully engaged with REAL and will no doubt be on the Irish EPG however I hear RTE have not welcomed REAL Digital as a platform and REAL have had to lodge a complaint with the BAI over RTE's refusal to comply with Section 77 of the Broadcasting Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

only took 7 months to get the photo :D

(just an observation) the real digital logo looks to have been photo-shopped onto the pic of the epg.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭foggers

rlogue wrote: »
    I believe the full EPG will be switched on around mid August. I understand that TV3 and TG4 have been fully engaged with REAL and will no doubt be on the Irish EPG however I hear RTE have not welcomed REAL Digital as a platform and REAL have had to lodge a complaint with the BAI over RTE's refusal to comply with Section 77 of the Broadcasting Act.

is that cause they see it as a threat to their plans for saorsat?

Do you think the watermark on the right hand side was photoshopped as well?
    :rolleyes:
    I posted an earlier version of the EPG in another place so for your benefit here is the EPG on a Bush widescreen CRT...

photo1.jpg

• Advertisement

foggers wrote: »
    is that cause they see it as a threat to their plans for saorsat?

I would be shocked and appalled if RTE did see REAL Digital as a threat to Saorsat Or Saorview because if that was they way they think then they would have to be prosecuted under the Broadcasting Acts for acting beyond their statutory powers and obligations.

I have no idea why they are stalling a deal with REAL since REAL are as much a platform provider as Sky and UPC and therefore RTE must offer their channels for carriage provided no cost is incurred by RTE. A better bargain than Saorsat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭recyclebin

So whats the latest on Real Digital? I've been hearing about them for years but nothing much concrete with regards to detail.

What packages will they be offering?

just have to wonder though....they're spening an awful lot of dough on saorsat for relatively few customers.... or maybe would sky be sticking their spoke in (alledgedly!!!). They get an awful lot of customers in the countryside that can't get good RTE reception, might hit them a bit if real digital works out.... anyway, good to see some movement maybe on the real thingy, hoped that they would have a 7 day epg for the sat, alas, not by the looks of it, early days yet I suppose. Do you have any 'insider' knowledge on whether there are plans to have the 7 day epg on Irish and UK channels or 7 day only on Irish and now/next for UK or worse still now/next for both?

they won't flog many of the top end PVR boxes(if they ever make them) if all it can do is now/next I'd imagine.

7 Day EPG for everything - Irish and UK channels. The EPG is not on the air until mid August so that is why you only see now and next on the photos.

recyclebin wrote: »
    So whats the latest on Real Digital? I've been hearing about them for years but nothing much concrete with regards to detail.

What packages will they be offering?

Initially Sky Sports 1&2 with the UK and Irish channels, subject to agreement. I believe more exclusive channels are in the pipeline.

• Advertisement

7 Day EPG for everything - Irish and UK channels. The EPG is not on the air until mid August so that is why you only see now and next on the photos.

great, thanks for the info....Be interesting to see how this works out especially if they are able to work out the details on getting the sports onto it. I'll be on it like a fly on ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

on a side note is that the real digital man you can see in the reflection on the EPG? lol...

Well he's definitely not photoshopped in!

and just to get things straight in my head....No subscription for the bog standard channels and maybe 20-30 euro p/m for the sub channels - sky sports 1 & 2. Just buy the box, hook it up to a sky dish or some such and off you go?

I don't know the exact numbers but there won't be a charge for HD, there won't be a charge to record and yes it will work on a Sky or Freesat dish.

For specific cost questions you'll have to contact REAL Digital directly via their website. I do get some good titbits of information but I don't know everything!

I don't know the exact numbers but there won't be a charge for HD, there won't be a charge to record and yes it will work on a Sky or Freesat dish.

For specific cost questions you'll have to contact REAL Digital directly via their website. I do get some good titbits of information but I don't know everything!

call yourself an insider!!!!! :D

thanks for all the info, sounds good and if they manage to roll it out non-subbed, can't see how it can fail(as long as it works!!!)........

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

im very excited about this product cant wait for it to launch and if it work good riddens to sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

7 day epg is NOW available FTA for 28.2 and Saorview on NON LINUX boxes.

No bills to third party box sellers like Real Digital. Who would be a consumer eh ?

Dont get me wrong, their packaging of Sky Sports will be interesting. So real are pursuing RTE for non carriage... lol. .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

STB wrote: »
    7 day epg is NOW available FTA for 28.2 and Saorview on NON LINUX boxes.

No bills to third party box sellers like Real Digital. Who would be a consumer eh ?

Can you expand on this please - is it a new receiver or new service or what???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Apogee wrote: »
    I am receiving the 7 day EPG from 28.2° East with a Technomate TM-6900 HD Combo Super+

It works a treat

• Advertisement

Apogee wrote: »

So called phantom patches available now for Technomate 6900 (NON SUPER Versions from 2008) onwards and up to SUPER models etc. Only thing is you need to have a USB to take act as the memory for the Event ID data that is downloaded OTA via a fixed transponder. The data is broadcast on a radio channel transponder!

The 7102 doesnt need the USB as its internal memory is larger.

Written by Technomate coders IMO and released through Digital Worldz. They dont want to tell me how they wrote the patch. They obviously have the source code to the TMs. It just shows that once the memory is there, then all you need is storage for the dump on the STB.

http://download.for-better.biz/bbs/list.php

STB wrote: »
    The data is broadcast on a radio channel transponder!

It's a hack for reading the Sky EPG OpenTV datastream then?

Yes it is a hack for the Sky OpenTV data. There's a similar hack available for DVBViewer.

These hacks are grand for us enthusiasts who are happy to tinker but of limited use to Joe or Jane Public who won't necessarily remember to tune to the IEPG Data 1 channel and press record....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Yes it is a hack for the Sky OpenTV data. There's a similar hack available for DVBViewer.

These hacks are grand for us enthusiasts who are happy to tinker but of limited use to Joe or Jane Public who won't necessarily remember to tune to the IEPG Data 1 channel and press record....

how much for sky sports 1 & 2 in ireland
    topuptv for UK freeview is £30 in the uk
    so maybe €40 for sky sports 1&2 with real digital in ireland

Once a week ? And it is fairly simple to do.

Of course it is a hack but is a hack that works on Non Linux boxes.....

What's the cheapest Technomate combo box on which this hack will work?

It'll work on any of them provided the latest phantom patch is applied...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭tlaavtech

Wonder if we will see the patch emerge for the edison 2in1 mini - Quite a lot of folks around here would be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

How will they get around the rights issue to confine Irish Channels to Ireland? If they offer FreeSat type channels plus the 4/5 Irish channels there will be a big take up as one box and 7 day epg is a very attractive proposition for Joe and Jane Public. Presumably you would have to register with Real Digital and Irish Channels be encrypted and some sort of card issued. Can't see any profit in this for Real Digital unless they are planning to use it as a teaser to get Sky Sports subscribers to their platform.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I can't imagine Sky are too happy about their EPG being re-used if that's what's happening. Why would you choose REAL anyway - you already have FreeSat for no charge, and Sky at reasonable enough prices. How is REAL going to be better or cheaper than Sky?

Advertisement