Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Carter (of Mars)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The entire trailer reminded me of the rubbish arena/coliseum scenes from Attack of the Clones.

The entire rubbish arena scene in Attack of the Clones reminded me of John Carter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I hope it does well. It looks good, and seems to be generating good buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ive a feeling this'll bomb but not due to anything in the film.

it just doesnt seem to have gripped people.

ill be going along though as i like these kinda affairs. im not au fait with the lore behind john carter though i did hear of the name "john carter of mars" before.

kinda confused as to why they didnt go with the full title.

i mean its obscure enough as it is.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

ive a feeling this'll bomb but not due to anything in the film.

it just doesnt seem to have gripped people.

ill be going along though as i like these kinda affairs. im not au fait with the lore behind john carter though i did hear of the name "john carter of mars" before.

kinda confused as to why they didnt go with the full title.

i mean its obscure enough as it is.

I think they thought it was a little too Sci-Fi for the general audience

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A lot of films about Mars or with Mars in the title have flopped. The Red Planet, Mission to Mars, Ghosts of Mars and more recently Mars Needs Moms. Of course, the reason for this probably had more to do with the fact that those films sucked, but this is Hollywood we're talking about. Mars is basically considered box office poison. If this flops as well then that's pretty much the end of films about Mars for the next 20-30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Must say the reviews are looking very positive for this so far. Maybe the curse of mars movies might be broken? Who knows, if this doesn't bomb someone might try make another Don Quixote movie :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

That a terrible title for a film........ 'John Carter'.

Can't say myself I have ever heard of the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

A lot of films about Mars or with Mars in the title have flopped. The Red Planet, Mission to Mars, Ghosts of Mars and more recently Mars Needs Moms. Of course, the reason for this probably had more to do with the fact that those films sucked, but this is Hollywood we're talking about. Mars is basically considered box office poison. If this flops as well then that's pretty much the end of films about Mars for the next 20-30 years.

All had Mars in the title, Total Recall: set on Mars, not in title, huge hit, you might be onto something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Must admit I'm rarely convinced by live action films that are almost entirely occupied by CGI characters. Looks like the kind of film I'd rather see animated TBH!

I'd usually agree with you on that, but I think the CGI looks pretty good in this one.

Is this actually being billed as a Pixar movie? Any poster/trailer I've seen has it listed as just Disney, rather than Disney Pixar.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is this actually being billed as a Pixar movie? Any poster/trailer I've seen has it listed as just Disney, rather than Disney Pixar.

Nah its not a pixar film, there's just a lot of pixar heads involved in it i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

awesome movie with decent characters, not too different from the book. I recommend it

al28283 wrote: »
    awesome movie with decent characters, not too different from the book. I recommend it

How have you seen it already? Preview screening or what? Jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How have you seen it already? Preview screening or what? Jealous.

it's a work thingy, I saw it a while ago before it was finished. Worth seeing in 3d

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

It looks like ****e, but got a 5/5 from Movies.ie. Must check it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm seeing a lot of lukewarm reviews.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I still don't get the attraction here. I'd never heard of John Carter until the trailer was released.

faceman wrote: »
    I still don't get the attraction here. I'd never heard of John Carter until the trailer was released.

How about Carson of Venus?

Pellucidar?

The Land That Time Forgot?

You've at least heard of Tarzan, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well from what i can see its....

.."tarzan innnn spaaaaaacccce ! "

:)

TBH its the only thing piquing im interest this week and dont really expect much from it so ill be going along with that attitude.

probably means ill enjoy it immensly.

.."tarzan innnn spaaaaaacccce ! "

Other way around: Tarzan is John Carter in The Jungle Book.

• Advertisement

Thread crossover: given that this weeks top ten are all rotten tomatoes, does the fact that JC is opening as the only Fresh blockbuster mean it has a chance to beat the advance negativity and post a good weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which is why this will bomb. "Fanboys" can't make this a success.

mike65 wrote: »
    Which is why this will bomb. "Fanboys" can't make this a success.

probably true unfortunately. Good word of mouth from those who do go and see it this weekend could make a fair bit of difference though. doesn't happen very often these days that film would recover from a bad opening weekend though.

The Asylum may make dreadful crap but they know how to market a film, something that the makers of John Carter need to learn.

Every trailer for John Carter should have made use of Avatar, they should have used the fact that Avatar was inspired by the John Carter series as their main selling point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

How about Carson of Venus?

Pellucidar?

The Land That Time Forgot?

You've at least heard of Tarzan, right?

Ah Tarzan. On Mars with no yodelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ah Tarzan. On Mars with no yodelling?

"In space nobody can hear you singing an extended note in a manner which rapidly changes pitch" does not quite work as a tagline. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I keep thinking of Howard Carter everytime I notice the trailer or the posters about the place.

Remember thinking to myself when I saw the trailer, "Wow, he's come a long way since discovering Tutankhamun's tomb"

:pac:

Massive budget for this film. $250 million. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Martian Mummies on the rampage - I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think we're on to a winner Mike.

• Advertisement

That's Carpenter's sequel to Ghosts of Mars, right?

Advertisement