Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 14, Stage 12: Cugnaux - Luz-Ardiden 209km

Options
  • 13-07-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭

The battle for yellow breaks out

Luz-Ardiden is back on the Tour route for the first time since 2003, when Lance Armstrong won there after his unforgettable collision with a fan and the "did he wait?" Debate that subsequently blew up around Jan Ullrich. This will bring an end to the phony war between the favourites for the yellow jersey. Preceding the final climb is the first-ever ascent of the narrow road that winds up through the trees to the Hourquette d'Ancizan, followed by the Tourmalet from the La Mongie-side. Coming off there, the race heads straight onto the final climb.

tdf2011_12sm_600.jpg

tdf2011_12sp_600.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The battle for yellow breaks out

Aye one of the four / five stages that will decide this tour. Can't wait :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

It's been an extraordinarily interesting tour so far but for me it's all about the mountains. Here we go.

I'm hope they go for it and don't just watch each other. Bertie might want to get some time back but I'm not convinced he's in the condition he was in May.

Will Tommy hold the yellow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I think HTC will probably kill themselves up to the intermediate sprint so Cav can keep the green jersey.

I can't see anyone else apart from Bertie attacking tomorrow. Also when did Andy lose 8 secs to Frank? He was only 2 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Here we go, finally the bluffing stops and the cards must be layed on the table. Having my doubts about Contador, beginning to wonder if his best form was left in italy. Enough of a time deficit to make him worry and a supposed Knee injury won't help his cause
    Schleck is following as usual, might be holding back but absolutely no form at all this season.Leaving everything to chance by gambling on winning the Grand Boucle is sadly common for the last few years!
    Cadel evans is looking good, seems to be strong and comfortable but has a history of having one shocker of a day in the high mountains in the major tours.
    Still going to stick with Contador as the most likely winner but Cadel may just have enough to worry him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

It's too early for anything to happen.

Tomorrow will be won by some tiny Spanish climber thatno one has heard of before.

Of the top 10 neither Evans or the Schlecks need to do anything tOmorrow. Why risk having to defend the yellow for the next ten days.
    Also Contador, not sure will be that pressed. He is a very calm athlete and unlikely to get rattled.

Of the big names if any of them are to do anything, then it has to be Basso or Sanchez. Next few days is sh1t or bust for them.
    Evans will drift into yellow by end of day. He seems to want to wear the jumper, but he doesn't have the team to defend it IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭BQQ

AstraMonti wrote: »

I can't see anyone else apart from Bertie attacking tomorrow.

I think A Shleck will attack.
    Saw an interview with him where he seemed quite pissed off about criticism of his lack of aggression.
    He said he would never be afraid to attack and he considers himself an aggressive rider.
    Won two stages last year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

ROK ON wrote: »
    It's too early for anything to happen.
    Of the top 10 neither Evans or the Schlecks need to do anything tOmorrow. Why risk having to defend the yellow for the next ten days.
    Also Contador, not sure will be that pressed. He is a very calm athlete and unlikely to get rattled.

I'm not so sure, Contador isn't afraid of taking yellow, he took the lead in the Giro at the end of the first week. If he's got the form, I think he'll try to gain time, and even if he hasn't he might want the psychological blow of looking dominant in the mountains.
    Andy Schleck needs to gain at least two minutes on Evans by next Saturday, and I really hope he doesn't try to do it by waiting for Evans to slip up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I hope Voeckler goes on the attack... was great seeing him and Gilbert off the front yesterday, and he is the type of rider that could just go "fuck this, lets ride".

Can't see Andy attacking much, he's got a minute and a half on Bertie, so I reckon he'll just shadow him (like usual) and only attack next week if he feels he needs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Reckon AC will do a little bit of probing tomorrow just to see how Andy's doing. He probably won't bother going for it this early unless Andy is very weak and can't keep up with a moderate (by AC's standards) attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Tomorrows weather should be better than today. It will still be cold by local standards. This is the scene this evening.
    tour-de-france-weather.jpg
    Have a go at predicting the stage winner tomorrow. I'm going for S Sanchez to win stage and LL Sanchez to be in yellow.

http://www.velopeloton.com/tour-de-france-competition/

Should be fun tomorrow.
    864__800x300_tour-de-france-hourquette-4.jpg
    Hourquette d'Ancizan

914__800x240_col-du-tourmalet-3.jpg
    500m from Tourmalet summit

859__800x300_luz-ardiden-2-2.jpg
    Luz Ardiden from the summit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

hmmm, tempted to ring in sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Screw that im going to watch it in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Sundy wrote: »
    Screw that im going to watch it in work!

any link?

I think Tony Martin might have a bash!!(finger crossed for my e/w bet @ 150/1!!)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Big question is whether Contador is still tired from the Giro and/or is really injured. I'd say he'd be happy to sandbag for another while yet, but his crash may have put paid to that. If he can make up the time, he won't want to leave it too late and may opt to start eeking back the seconds today.

He wasn't afriad to go on Etna after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    any link?

I think Tony Martin might have a bash!!(finger crossed for my e/w bet @ 150/1!!)

I subscribed to eurosport player. Was only €8 for the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I think Contador ideally will want to attack/test Evans more so than any other potential rivals. He's over a minute and half down and will take maybe 30 seconds off evans in the TT, if even.

Tomorrow stage doesnt have an uphill finish so waiting till Thurs and Friday of next week will be very nerve wracking.

I think he ll be happy to let Andy suck his wheel and maybe even work with him if they get away against Evans and have his battle with Andy next week. He only needs 30 secs off Andy, given he will likely take a minute plus in the TT.

Whether Contador is able to do all this is another matter. We ll see if he is sandbagging or not today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I'm sure Contador will attack today. He always attacks first chance he gets. I just hope Evans is able to follow. I would hate to see Contador and A Schleck distance everyone on the first hard stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Unemployment doesn't seem so bad when the Tour hits the big hills.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DeadMan1

Tomorrows weather should be better than today. It will still be cold by local standards. This is the scene this evening.
    tour-de-france-weather.jpg

Looking good VP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Hey, it's Bastille day!

Allez Thomas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Kadri up the road. You can be sure that was planned to give Nico some support in the moutains later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Thomas is the break :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    any link?
    Here you go:
    http://www.fromsportcom.com/c-9.html

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I keep losing the Eurosport Player feed, but those little animated men in the break look like they're doing a grand job.

They're going to need a hell of gap when they hit those spikey bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Lumen wrote: »
    I keep losing the Eurosport Player feed, but those little animated men in the break look like they're doing a grand job.

They're going to need a hell of gap when they hit those spikey bits.

If you have Sky sports at home, you can watch it on up to four laptops with the Skyplayer. Eurosport is included with this. It's perfect.

You just need to get the password you were given or from someone with Sky sports at home.

I watch it in work and have the password from a mate whose parents have Sky.

Well worth it for the cycling season.

It's also great during the football season for watching the games on a Sunday, saves me watching them in the pub.

I also find it useful for Sky Atlantic - good shows on there.

Thing is you need to know someone with Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Johnny with a little dig, the man has some balls

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Haha there goes Johnny again....mad fu*ker!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Lucky escape from Gariet Thomas.

:eek:

Advertisement